McDougall Experiment

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

McDougall Experiment

Postby CAR1982 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:26 pm

I am so happy I found this discussion board.

I am at a crossroads in my life, and I know I have to do something different. I am turning 30 this year (gasp!) and have suddenly been faced with two cold, hard facts: 1) What everyone has been telling me is true; I am actually going to get old, and 2) if I continue on the path I am on, I will only aid in the increasing deterioration of my body with each passing year.

I have been on a hundred diets in my lifetime, some formal and some informal. It was always about losing 10-20 vanity pounds. I would lose the weight without any concern for my health, and then inevitably gain it all back (often with interest). Then I would do it all over again on some other wacky diet scheme.

I have yo-yo-ed between the same 40 pounds for at least 10 years. I have been as low as 120, and as high as 160. I know this has been absolutely terrible on my body, and my state of mind.

For the first time ever it is not about losing pounds. I weigh about 127 consistently these days; and that is a "healthy" weight for my heighth. However, I eat terribly - absolute junk! I never exercise. I don't get enough sleep. I don't drink enough water. I drink too much coffee. I drink too much alcohol. And though I am in a "healthy" weight range, I have 28% body fat, so I am definitely flabby. My body is incredibly unhealthy. I have had youth on my side, but I know it is a matter of time before it all catches up with me. And it is truly the first time I actually understand it is in fact going to happen: I am going to get old. And I want to live to a very old age, and be as happy and healthy as humanly possible.

I have always fundamentally agreed with a vegan way of eating, though I have never stuck with it. It has always been an ultimate goal of mine, because I believe it is the healthiest; best for the environment; and best for my spirit. It has always made sense to me, but for one reason or another I always went back to SAD eating.

Anyway, I came across Dr. McDougall's book when I was seriously researching what is going to be the best way for me to get my body healthy and fit, and it just made sense. I am starting the program tomorrow, Thursday, March 8th.

I have decided I am going to give the program my all, 100%, for 30 days, and if at the end of the 30 days I do not feel or look any better, then I can always look to something else - no harm no foul. But, that said, I sincerely believe, in fact, I KNOW, that at the end of 30 days, my life will be completely different, and I will want to stick with these principles for life. I am allowing myself to feel I have an "out" in 30 days, so I don't get overwhelmed with the drastic change, and completely give-up as I know my personality is so want to do.

For the purposes of future comparing and contrasting, here is what i have eaten today, the day before Day 1:

B- 2 cups coffee with 3(?) tablespoons sweetened creamer
L- Turkey sandwich w/ mayo, lettuce, oil & vinegar; 1/2 a giant chocolate chip cookie and diet coke
S- Probably have to have more coffee around 3pm because I will get so tired at work
D- Is usually some sort of quick take-out food. Maybe a meal from McDonald's or if I have more time, Indian food.

Exercise: none

I am going grocery shopping tonight, to pick up everything I will need to have a positive start. I am going to plan and prepare my meals ahead of time. I have no other goal for the first 30 days than to follow the plan to the letter. Exercise will be a bonus, but I want to focus on eating properly first. I know how I react when I try to do too much too soon.

Plan for tomorrow, Day 1:

B- Green smoothie: 1 banana & 2 c spinach & water
S- Raw veggies
L- 1/2 plate brown rice w/ lite soy sauce & 1/2 plate steamed summer squash and zucchini
S- piece of fruit
D- 1/2 plate brown rice w/ lite soy sauce & 1/2 plate steamed summer squash and zucchini

All right... wish me luck! I will be back to report tomorrow!

-CAR
Last edited by CAR1982 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CAR1982

Re: McDougall Experiment

Postby Vola » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:05 pm

Welcome! I also started this as a month-long challenge to myself (just this January) and by the end of it I knew I wanted to stick with it. And like you I also didn't worry about exercise in the beginning, but am now up to exercising at least 3x a week.

Remember to be kind to yourself and remember that this is a process, that any change toward this way of eating is improvement, and to applaud yourself on your progress. This is a great community, too. :-D
Vola

Postby CAR1982 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:15 pm

Hi Vola! Thank you so much! I am happy for your progress - congratulations! :D

Day 1 in review:

Today went very well. I work full-time and I am in my final semester of grad school; so on the nights I have class, I have to carefully plan. I leave my house at about 8am and do not return until about 10pm, so in order to prevent stopping at a convenience store or a drive-thru, I have to tote all of my meals for the entire day with me. And I did that today! It took but an extra 10 minutes, and I am that much closer to my goals.

What I ate:

B- green smoothie w/ 1 banana & spinach & water
L- 2 c brown rice, 1 c zucchini, 1 c yellow squash
S- apple
D- 1 c brown rice, 1 c yellow squash

Plan for Day 2: exactly the same
CAR1982

Postby carollynne » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:13 am

Good Luck to you, and hope you stick with it. There is a wealth of information on this website with lots of information and recipes for really great food. I love The McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook for just what it states, quick and easy recipes. :) :)
Remember to be kind to yourself on this journey too, and congrats on your last semester in graduate school!! what is your studying or getting the degree in, if I may ask you?
:-) :-D have a great day out here in McDougall - land!!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning