Lonia's Journal

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Lonia's Journal

Postby Lonia Jane » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:45 pm

First let me say that I love Dr. McDougall and his website! I'm so grateful for the knowledge and education it has afforded me.

I've been lurking, scouring the website, reading peoples posts and trying some of the recipes along for the past 8 months or so. I just recently signed up as a user and have made a couple of posts.

I have many health problems that I think might be helped if I will commit completely to the program and I am doing that starting today! I believe keeping a journal will make it real. I want to lose fat but I also want to get pain out of my life. I have had fibromyalgia for about 30 years and am allergic to almost everything other people consider normal like hairspray, makeup, lipstick, body lotion, underarm deodorant, any processed foods with additives, medications, HRT (which I really need!), cleaners and the list goes on. I've been to many doctors over the years and have been told to sum it up "stay away from it".

My fingers are partially numb so I have a difficult time typing. I damaged my shoulders back in Nov. of 2011. I overworked having a huge garage sale, pushing wheel barrows full of bedding border bricks and rocks to the front, cleaning and scrubbing stuff so that it would look nice to sell, then packing and moving across country and unpacking. I've been to doctors and taken cortisone three times and am now on prednisone and anti inflammatory drugs. I can manage ok with just the numb fingers as long as I take it but it makes me feel very sick. It's been months now and I'm still bad. I don't know why my body won't heal!

I am allergic to many different things and it seems to get worse as I get older. I'm 62 and was just forced to retire so I don't have insurance and will not have any until I qualify for medicare at 65. I have a long story to tell and hope to get some help from all of the brilliant posters that I have become familiar with on this forum and as I follow this WOE.
Lonia Jane

Re: Lonia's Journal

Postby Lonia Jane » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:03 pm

B=1/2 c. dry oats with strawberries, blueberries and maple syrup
L=ff refried beans, ff corn tortillas, pico, avacado
S=2 bananas
D=lentil soup
Lonia Jane

Postby lmggallagher » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:18 pm

Lonia:

I am so glad your posting now! I have fibromyalgia too and have learned people, like Rosie, have kissed it goodbye using this WOE. For me, I still have the fibro BUT my pain is down and m energy is up. I am also sleeping much better than I have in years! a much deeper but shorter amount of sleep - the same pattern I had pre-fibro. I have NEVER had this much reduction in pain on any drug. With the exception of an anti-seizure drug that was also causing my eyes to completely swell shut and could have lead to blindness. Obviously, I had to stop that one dangerous drug.

So the things I have noticed that helped so far the most, I have only been on a few months - are: no gluten at all (no wheat, barley, rye or non-gluten oats etc) and of course the dairy is gone too. Once those things were eliminated the pain started going down. Then, low and behold I found the pain in my shoulder, as well as the joints of my hands, was arthritis all along and it's now vanished entirely!

I have been on many of the fibro drugs and frankly I had a team of 7 folks at my medical facility on my case for over 10 weeks and they had nothing new to offer me, though they turned every stone possible and were wonderful. The thing I took away from this 10 week pain management analysis and training was look at inflammatory foods. I hadn't done that before and one of the nurses on the team did a module on that that. She got my hyped to go do the research and end up finally and HAPPILY here.

There are other folks with pain issues here and its interesting to see what's happening for blue and Nicoles as she is starting to add in some stuff she has learned from Fuhrman. Neither have fibro, but some may apply to us as well. At least we can cheer them on because we are all part of the pain community, as well as McDougaller's.

Wishing you all the best and a pain free life too - Michelle

lmggallagher

Postby Lonia Jane » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:48 pm

Hi Michelle! I never give up hope. I've read your journal and have cheered for you and others who find relief. I'm so happy for you. I have been taking a prescribed med for sleep for 15 yrs. I'm going to give this WOE my dedication.

I'm sick with the meds I am having to take for this injury inflammation. I didn't take them today and its difficult to think clearly. I've not noticed a gluten allergy before but maybe I will feel a difference soon. I know that a lot of foods cause me illness.

Thanks for your warm welcome and best wishes!
Lonia Jane

Postby Lonia Jane » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:26 pm

Feeling a little better today! My head is clearing. That prednisone is out of my system. I only had one numb burning epsode with my hand and arm today. It was after my 30 min. walk.

B=oats, strawberries, blueberries w/1T. maple syrup & 1T. ground flaxseed
L=salad, pasta
D=potatoes, mixed veg.
S=grapes :)
Lonia Jane

Postby LauraA » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:35 pm

Welcome Lonia Jane, and I feel certain that this way of eating will help with your pain. It will be nice to follow you from the start and see how much you improve. Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Postby Lonia Jane » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:35 pm

Hi and thanks Laura!

Today was a little better. I was thinking today while I was doing my 30 min. walk about how long it's been since I had a 24 hr. period when I felt pain free. It's been a long time, many months.

My DH and I bought one of those queen size blow up beds to take on our trip to Austin for a wedding at the end of the month. We inflated it to make sure it didn't leak. I laid down on it to see how it felt and had such a hard time getting back up on my feet. Every party of my body hurt as I rolled and twisted. Finally I got over onto my knees and finally got up. Wow, I don't think I will be sleeping on it! I'm glad no one has a video of that! :lol:

I can type a little easier tonight. The left hand is only numb on the tips of the thumb and first three fingers. The right hand is worse but not nearly as bad as yesterday. Eating this way is helping me a tiny bit each day. :-D

Year before last my DH and I each dropped 50 lbs. of fat by wt. training and cutting calories. I've gained 20 back in the past year because of having to work so many more hours in our business and letting our fitness club membership go. The muscle helped burn extra calories but not being able to workout in the past year, the fat is returning. Now that I am retired, I have the time but am injured in my shoulders and can't. Can't even think about it. I've got 30 lbs to lose to get to 150 which is my goal.

dry wrinkling skin, high BP, pain, allergic, fat, can't sleep without meds, how many of these thorns that I feel can be helped by my new WOE :-( :\

B=ww bread, jam
L=my loaded vegetable soup
S=banana
D=ff corn tortillas, pico, ff refried beans, avacado
Lonia Jane

Postby Lonia Jane » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:15 pm

Pretty good day today! I walked 30 min. with my right arm in a sling to protect my shoulder. Fingers still numb.

B=oats, strawberries, blueberries, flax, maple syrup
L=pinto beans, sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts
S=grapes
D=huge mixed salad with mashed avacado for dressing
S=orange
Lonia Jane

Postby Lonia Jane » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:24 pm

I didn't get to walk today but am still feeling a little better.

My granddaughter is spending tomorrow night with me which makes me a very happy grandmother! I went to the thrift store today and bought her some things she will love. It cost me very little.

B=2 sl w wheat toast with peanut butter & fruit spread
L=left over loaded veg soup
S=banana
D=ww pasta with tomatoes, peppers, onions
S=grapes
S=rice cakes with raisins and honey on top
Lonia Jane

Postby Lonia Jane » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:35 pm

It's been a week since I have posted. Last Friday night I didn't sleep much because my right hand and arm was either completely numb or burning. Saturday, Sunday and Monday I took prednisone which I can only take for three days because it starts hurting my stomach so very badly.

At the same time I started an elimination diet cutting out all of the arthritis trigger foods. After the three days on the steroid and with the combination of the diet I started feeling much better. Thank goodness! I can't tolerate pain well. I have a very low threshold.

I took this window of opportunity to incorporate more walking into my day. I didn't last long on the elimination diet, only 6 days. Now I am walking for 30 min morning and afternoon. Getting my blood circulating is helping me, I think. I tried the primary back stretch and hoe downs from my former exercise love, T-Tapp. Really did help.

I really like the regular McD. diet. Bless his heart my DH will eat anything I cook. Gotta love that!
Lonia Jane

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning