I Can't Believe I'm Still Here!

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: I Can't Believe I'm Still Here!

Postby AnneC » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:03 pm

Well, I remained strictly on Mary's Mini for one week. This week I'm back to my regular MWL plan, which is really the same potato & vegy meal 5 times a day. But, I have been munching on trail mix again and I did eat a Subway vegy sandwich yesterday too. I probably won't lose anything this week and may even gain as a result. I bought some rice cakes and tried those. They taste great, but do not fill me up at all. I ate 6 in one morning alone and was still starving by lunch. So, I'll definitely stick with my potato/vegy meal and snacks and work on cutting out the trail mix, which seems to be my current problem food. On a positive note, I did walk 3 miles on Saturday and 2 on Sunday. :D AnneC
AnneC

Postby AnneC » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:03 pm

Well, I remained strictly on Mary's Mini for one week. This week I'm back to my regular MWL plan, which is really the same potato & vegy meal 5 times a day. But, I have been munching on trail mix again and I did eat a Subway vegy sandwich yesterday too. I probably won't lose anything this week and may even gain as a result. I bought some rice cakes and tried those. They taste great, but do not fill me up at all. I ate 6 in one morning alone and was still starving by lunch. So, I'll definitely stick with my potato/vegy meal and snacks and work on cutting out the trail mix, which seems to be my current problem food. On a positive note, I did walk 3 miles on Saturday and 2 on Sunday. :D AnneC
AnneC

Postby tornadoalley » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:38 am

Congratulations!!!!!!!! ;-)
tornadoalley

Postby AnneC » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:34 pm

Since my last post, my weight loss has slowed down, but I'm not exercising regularly and I ate a bowl of trial mix yesterday, which certainly doesn't help. The good news is that I'm starting my whole family on the regular McDougall plan. I baked a 5 pound bag of potatoes yesterday, made brown rice in the rice cooker, cooked beans in the pressure cooker, nuked a variety of vegys, sauteed some mushrooms and let everyone put their own meals together, topped off with some meatloaf sauce (minus the meatloaf, of course). I wanted something pretty flavorful to get them off to a good start. Anyways, I thought I was set for a few days, but got home tonight, made my dinner and lunch for tomorrow and everything was pretty much gone.

While I was cooking, I set out some vegy sticks and homemade artichoke hummus for the kids to snack on while they were waiting and they all enjoyed it. I have one of those banana hangers attached to a large bowl, so I always keep that filled with fruit on the kitchen table or at least try to, as the kids usually eat it as fast as I can bring it home, so I was surprised to find it still pretty full this evening. I guess the McDougall way of eating filled them up! Lol!!

So, I've got more potatoes & vegys cooking. We still have some non-McDougall food in the house, which the kids are quickly making use of, but once it is all gone, it won't be replaced. I figure this will allow them to ease into the program and in the long run, will help it be more successful.

The kids really enjoyed that I didn't limit their portions. My youngest daughter asked if she could have 2 potatoes and I told her to eat as much as she needed to be full. I guess she chose the 2 potatoes because her plate was in the fridge, only half eaten, but she reheated it and finished it later.

Hubby isn't completely on board, but he has agreed to only eat fish with his meals, which the kids hate, so that won't be a problem, except we'll have to deal with the fishy smell. . . .sigh. We'll see how long he can go with keeping the other junk out of the house. I'll be happy if I can get him to stop bringing trail mix home. :) AnneC
AnneC

Postby fulenn » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:44 pm

Sounds like things are going really well for you. Congrats a bit late on clearing out your wardrobe and getting smaller clothes! Good luck with the family; it has really helped me having my own family on board with this.

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby AnneC » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:47 pm

I've been noticing some improvements in how I feel. I was grocery shopping after work today and a loaf of bread fell off my cart. I reached down and picked it up with ease. I was also easily able to reach down under my cart and pick up the five 10 pound bags of potatoes and the 30 pound bag of cat food. My feet weren't aching from walking around the grocery store either.

While reading through other people's posts here, someone mentioned they rarely got sick since starting this WOE. I realized I haven't had a cold in over two months! Maybe a common occurrence for most people, but I'm a teacher and I usually am sick the whole school year with one cold after another.

I've sufferred with rosacea for many years. In addition to the frequent red flushed face, I also got lots of hard sore bumps on my face. I still get the occasional red flush, but the pimples are gone.

AnneC
AnneC

Postby AnneC » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:50 am

Today is my birthday and I'm 49 years old. I am so happy I found this WOE. I'm actually looking forward to turning 50 next year because I know that I'll be healthier and hopefully at goal weight by then.

I've discovered Almond milk, so I've varied my diet somewhat by having Shredded Wheat cereal with a variety of fruit. I still do the potato vegy meals the rest of the day, although I've been looking at fat free vegan recipes. I tried one the other day for Pizza Potatoes and while the picture looked good and it sounded good, they were awful.

I've started exercising. Got my bike out and went on a 12 mile bike ride on Friday, then went on a 3 mile hike on Saturday morning - downhill the first half, then all uphill coming back. I lost a pound both days, which is highly motivating. It won't be long and I'll need to revamp my wardrobe again. :-D AnneC
AnneC

Postby kirstykay » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:11 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR ANNE!!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!

Hope this is your BEST year yet, with MANY, MANY more happy and healthy to follow!!!!! Glad you're here! :)
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby RAS » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:25 pm

Happy Birthday! Hope it was a good one! What did you do to celebrate? Please tell us about it. RAS
RAS

Postby Quinoamania » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:24 pm

Happy Birthday to you! I love the way you are already looking forward to the next birthday being healthier! Here's to a great year for you. :nod:
Robin

McDougalling my way to health since 9 Feb 2012.

“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.” ― Abraham Lincoln
Quinoamania

Postby AnneC » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:02 pm

RAS wrote:Happy Birthday! Hope it was a good one! What did you do to celebrate? Please tell us about it. RAS

Lol!!! Well, it was Sunday, so I went to church, but I skipped out a bit early and went for a walk with my family along the waterfront. The kids wanted me to buy cake and ice cream or go out to dinner, but I'm so used to this WOE, that I just wanted to return home and eat my potatoes and vegy meal. I thought about making a fat free vegan cake and even looked at some recipes, but I've never really been a cake person to begin with and I'm also really way too lazy to actually cook, especially on my birthday! This was definitely the cheapest birthday "celebration" we've ever done at our house. :D AnneC
AnneC

Postby AnneC » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:11 pm

Thanks for all the birthday wishes! I had to post again today to share a funny story about my oldest son. If you've been reading my journal (it's ok if you skip a few parts - I know I'm wordy), then you know I put my whole family on the regular McDougall program a while back. They've done nothing but complain about it, of course, but I'm one of those "mean" moms who tells them if they don't like it, then they'd better study harder, so they can go to college, get a job, move out and buy their own food.

My oldest son begged me to buy him a Subway sandwich because he was tired of eating potatoes and vegys (they have other choices, but that would require they cook something on their own). I told him it would be a vegy sub and he said fine, so I got him one on the way back from an errand. When I asked how he liked it, he said it was good, but a few days later, he asked me to buy him another one, saying that "chicken sub" tasted so good. I asked him what he was talking about because I ordered him a vegy sub. He insisted there was chicken on it and I finally realized he thought the vegy patty was a chicken patty! He still doesn't believe me that it was all vegetables. AnneC
AnneC

Postby lmggallagher » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:32 am

Fantastic Anne, 25% lost -- despite the wee cheatings. I just started a Mary's Mini too - good luck to both of us on that! :wink:

lmggallagher

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals