Murgie's Missives

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Murgie's Missives

Postby heavenstomurgie » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:49 am

**Day 7**
Thanks ladies for your comments over the past couple of days. I appreciate your feedback!

Today was weigh day! Since I like round numbers, I went ahead and rounded my weight up. 8 pounds lost! Whoot! I realize that a good part of this is water weight. I have noticed an improvement in my edema. My BP is now averaging 113/65 and my resting heart rate is 64. I am happy with these numbers.

I decided that I would stop posting my preplanned meals. I never end up sticking with my plan because my schedule is always changing. Yesterday was kind of funny. I had breakfast late so I only had Kashi Cinnamon Harvest cereal and a clementine, because it was so late I didn't feel hungry for lunch until after 2pm and I made a stir-fry (without the oil of course) of veggies and left over brown rice. Though I do need to buy low-sodium soy because my edema flared up last night. For dinner, DS#3 wanted pizza so to keep me from being tempted, I made pita chips and dipped those in marinara sauce. Then still hungry, I made a huge salad, and then about 45 minutes after that I ate my left over stirfry from lunch. So it felt like a grazing kind of day. I noticed that I didn't have any legume and wondered if I didn't get enough protein. But I was satisfied with what I ate. The best part of the evening is DS#2 stopped by and shared his brother's dinner and took the left overs home! Well..that and his company of course :) He is so busy that I don't get to see him as often as I would like. It's heck when the kidlets grow up and move out.

So, instead of ending my posts with my planned menu, I have decided to end each post with a compliment for myself. Today's compliment: I have gumption!

~Amber
heavenstomurgie

Postby kkrichar » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:16 am

8 pounds! Wow, that is fantastic. I am starting WML today. I just can't be trusted with some of the regular plan foods so it's time to let them go. I hope I have the success you've had this week. Keep it up. It helps keep me on track to see other people doing so well and enjoying this WOE.

Kelly

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby carollynne » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:21 pm

Congrats on that 8 lbs lost!! wonderful isn't it?? keep at this, the rewards are great!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby giddyupgin » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:40 pm

8 lbs wooo hooo!
Have a great ride as we ride through life...
from giddy up gin <^__~~ Wooo....hooo...

http://www.windowpanearts.blogspot.com
http://www.giddyupgin.blogspot.com
giddyupgin

Postby heavenstomurgie » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:16 pm

**Day 7**

Yesterday was a majorly busy day. I had classwork, an 80 mile round-trip to take my son to his basketball game, parent-teacher conferences, and church stuff that needed to be taken care of. To combat my busy schedule I decided to make chili and leave it in the crockpot to simmer while we were gone. I also made a pan of cornbread. It was a hit! I had DS#2 and his GF over for dinner, and they ate until they were stuffed. Not bad for meatless chili and cornbread made without eggs, oil or milk. Though I confess, I did use 1 c. white flour in the cornbread instead of whole wheat. Anyway, he said I should make the chili and enter it in the Annual Chili Cook-Off the Fire Dept. hosts each year as a fund raiser.

I am starting to hit my, "I've been so good so far.. don't I deserve a treat" mentality and justification mode. I need to be especially careful about this because when I start to do this kind of justification, I usually end up sabotaging all of my efforts. It's just hard. I am trying to think of non-food suggestions for reward, but haven't come up with any ideas. I welcome all suggestions! I am trying to make this process a lifestyle and not a diet, and work through the excess garbage that has helped me to get to this point. I will get there, I just have to accept myself as I am and move forward daily.

Today's compliment: I can persevere!
~amber
heavenstomurgie

Postby heavenstomurgie » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:14 pm

So.. I fell off the wagon and it rolled right over me, backed up and did it again. I felt like it left me at a crossroad, just sitting in the dust. I figured I had two directions I could take. The first direction would be to sit there feeling broken, icky and chalking this up to yet another attempt and inevitable failure. The second choice was to pick myself up, dust myself off, and move forward on the journey I had started. I confess, the first choice was really tempting, and I hunkered down for a couple of days thinking I could just let myself quietly go away and go find quick fix #32. However, an increase in my edema, stomach problems galore, and the self determination that I was not going to give up on myself has brought me here to write another journal entry. I am giving myself a fresh start. What is that saying? "Success is a journey not a destination." I have to remember that this is a process, and I will make mistakes, but if I keep pushing forward I will eventually succeed.
So today I have enjoyed wheat squares cereal with soy milk, an apple and I made kale chips. I think I over cooked the kale.. it was crispy but weird. Anyway.. I will try it again but not sure if it will become a go-to snack choice. Contemplating my lunch choice and I am thinking I will enjoy pita chips, hummus and veggies.
heavenstomurgie

Postby kkrichar » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:56 pm

Good job, Murgie! Keep coming back it works if you work it! That's what I hear anyhow. I'm with ya. I refuse to give up on myself. I need to learn how to enjoy each day as if it was my life not just some sort of purgatory limbo until I lose weight. There must be something in this process of changing that can be celebrated. Maybe I should think of something each day that is only possible because of this way of eating. Today, no harm came to any animal in the making of my food. We'll get this.

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby heavenstomurgie » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:57 pm

It has been just about a month since I last posted and it has been a month of challenges that found me in full-blown binge mode. Consequently, I have found myself up by 9 pounds, my bp is up again, and I started to play all of my mental justification games. I even got to the point where I had myself convinced that I needed to go back to the doctor and get myself put back on phentermine, metformin, and hctz bp pills just so I could lose weight and gain control. Then I got my new Kindle Fire this past Friday. You gotta love Amazon, they really pay attention to what you read :? and suggest books to purchase for the Kindle based on your prior purchases. Well.. my recommended books were The Engine 2 Diet (I bought it), a plethora of vegan/vegetarian cookbooks, and books on addiction and binge eating disorder. It really brought me up short, and I spent the weekend watching some Dr. McDougall videos on Youtube, read the E2 book, and watched both FOK and E2 movies on Netflix. All of these occurred while I was working on Motivational Interviewing techniques in one of my college classes. I guess I needed a giant board upside the head to stop my thinking and rationalizations.
Change is fluid, it is never linear. I am the queen of going 2 steps forward and then going 1 step backward. Change is hard, but it also equals growth. So, I am dusting off the rice cooker, I restocked the pantry, and bought a yummy assortment of fruit and veggie goodness (not to mention called and talked to my Psych mentor who is also vegan for a mini-therapy session), and I am determined to do this. I will check back in tomorrow night to discuss how my day went.
~Mur
heavenstomurgie

Postby Norm » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:44 am

heavenstomurgie wrote:Change is fluid, it is never linear. I am the queen of going 2 steps forward and then going 1 step backward. Change is hard, but it also equals growth. So, I am dusting off the rice cooker, I restocked the pantry, and bought a yummy assortment of fruit and veggie goodness (not to mention called and talked to my Psych mentor who is also vegan for a mini-therapy session), and I am determined to do this. I will check back in tomorrow night to discuss how my day went.

Glad to see you back!! Two steps forward, one step backward, is still progress. Find out what you were doing that left you feeling "cheated" enough to go off track. Then address it. You can do this!

-Norm
Norm

Postby heavenstomurgie » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:02 pm

Norm and Quinoamania- Thanks so much for your words of encouragement! It was so nice to read your positive feedback :-)

I had a pretty good day today. I feel light and "unsluggish" tonight, which is a good feeling. I am experiencing a bit of withdrawal headache, but I was expecting that to happen. I started my day with a "Rip's Big Bowl" for breakfast. That was a really big bowl too! I used banana and apple for my fruit, I wasn't brave enough to try my frozen berries on it. I ate fairly late, so I wasn't hungry for the longest time. I had to go do errands and didn't get home until 2:30ish in the afternoon and I was really hungry. I have to remember to take snacks with me when I am going to be away from the house for a period of time. I made some hummus with roasted red pepper and then stuffed a pita pocket with the hummus, spinach, onion, carrot, cucumber and drizzled a bit of tangerine balsamic on it. It was so good, I had a second pocket. At first I felt guilty for eating seconds. I think the hardest thing to get used to is the fact that I can eat until I am comfortable. I also snacked on a rye crisp cracker spread with hummus and had a tangerine. I worry about eating too many fruits because I know my triglycerides are high. However, I think for now I need to get re-adjusted to this WOE and then I can taper down the fruits. I wasn't too hungry for dinner, so I just had a potato with salsa and a salad. I guess my hunger kind of balanced itself out.

My bp is still a bit elevated tonight at 129/84. It will come down quick enough I am sure. Yesterday, to prepare for this foray back to health, I went to the lab and had my lipid panel, C-reactive Protein, Fasting Blood Sugar and A1C tests done. I am nervous about the numbers because I know they won't be good, but I needed a good baseline measurement. I have committed myself to doing this 100% this time. I think I have said this before, but my biggest fear is having my EMT son called out to work on his mama because I am so unhealthy. Well, I guess I can call this a "gold star" day. My goal is to earn my star each day.
~Mur
heavenstomurgie

Postby heavenstomurgie » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:31 am

I enjoyed another "Gold Star" day yesterday. It felt good to make good food choices and stick with them. I am starting to feel a bit of the cravings sneak in, and I am still feeling headachey. However, I will work through them. I noticed in the FOK book and some other books that there are desserty recipes. I struggle in trying to decide if I should allow myself these kinds of foods. They use natural sugar (agave or maple syrup), and are completely plant based without fat, but are they OK? I have to think on this one further.

I did recieve some motivation to keep going yesterday. I got my results from my blood work, and despite my backsliding the month of March, I still saw improvements.
Here are the numbers:

B/P: This morning 119/60.. down from 146/92 a couple of days ago. It amazes me how quickly this WOE affects B/P.
Triglycerides: Now: 295 Before: 398 - still high but moving in the right direction.
HDL: Now: 35 Before:23 - moving in right direction
LDL: Now: 91 Before: Didn't get a measurement due to high triglycerides
Cholesterol: Now: 185 Before: 290
Glucose: 83 - Normal range
A1C: 5.4- Normal range - I didn't save my previous numbers but before I was considered borderline Type-2 and the doctor prescribed metformin which I never took because of the side effects.
I did a C-Reactive test this time to get my baseline and it was 1.65 which is high. I need to keep up this WOE and exercising. Though I think the inflammation can also be attributed to needing dental work.

Overall, I was really happy because I wasn't expecting improvement after eating SAD the past month. I decided to get my next panel again in three months. Well I have a busy day today so I had best be off!
~mur
heavenstomurgie

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning