RAS in 2012

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

RAS in 2012

Postby RAS » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:04 pm

:-P Hi all a new year a new journal,will do Mary's Minni for 1 week to get the yucks out of my system.Starting @152.Goal is 125 & for fbs and ac1 in normal range by June 2012.
RAS

Re: RAS in 2012

Postby kirstykay » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:51 pm

GREAT Goals! I'm right here with you! You don't have that far to go!!! WOOT! WOOT! You got this!!! :nod:
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby RAS » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:03 am

Good morning.A long work day ahead. fbs 142 Weight 151.2
B-Tea Oats,Ground Flax,1Walnut,Orange
L-Minestrone Soup and potatoe
D-Oven baked ff Salad
Snacks Baby carrot
Yesterday was mostly on plan,with a few licks&bumps.RAS
RAS

Postby carollynne » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:37 am

Good luck!! and a ton of encouragement coming your way !
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby RAS » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:23 am

Good Morning Weight Stable at about 151.1 Been doing ok,but since the weight is not coming off as quickly you know there has to be cheats in there. :oops:
B-Oatmeal with pumpkin,1/2T.Flax Seed ground,1 Walnut,1T.Maple Syrup.Tea
L-Baby carrots,baked potatoe,1/4C.corn,minestrone soup.Tea
D-Baked Potatoe and brussel sprouts Tea Water
RAS

Postby RAS » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:19 am

Hi Everyone.I am stalled right now.Too many cheats and sugary treats.Will shop for veggies,& potatoes,brown rice.Need to do 100% again.Weight 154 up 6 pounds! :eek: :-( But I have only myself to blame) See you tomorrow. RAS
RAS

Postby toadfood » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:47 am

You can do it, RAS!

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Postby kirstykay » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:04 pm

Hey RAS, Have you seen this? I think it is so helpful when thinking through a plateau! You are obviously getting so close to your goal that you have less "wiggle room." I'm sure it's frustrating, but you can do it! And when you get discouraged, just remember that I'll trade places with you any day (even with your extra 6 pounds!!!) :lol: Keep on keepin' on!

JeffN wrote:The original question is in regard to weight loss.

Weighing yourself on a scale, as I mentioned above on a weekly basis is the best method to tell if you are in a negative calorie balance. On average, you should be able to safely and healthfully lose about 1% of your weight a week and maybe even more. That is an average over time and some weeks will be better and some weeks will be less. While it may not seem like much, if you multiply the number out by 12 weeks or 24 weeks or 52 weeks, this could be 24, 48 or 100 lbs lost.

If weight is not coming off as fast as you would like, then you have to make some adjustments to what you are doing. There are several adjustments you can make in regard to the caloric in end and the caloric out end.

In regard to calories out, you have three areas you can adjust which are frequency, intensity and time (FIT). You can exercise on more days or more times in a day (Frequency), you can raise the intensity of your exercise (Intensity), and/or you can do it for a longer period of time (Time).

In regard to calories in, you can lower the calorie density of the diet, by shifting the composition of your meals to include more foods that are the lowest in calorie density (vegetables, salads, soups, etc).

In addition, the following items are also known (and proven) to reduce calorie intake

- Calorie density- Make sure 1/3 to 1/2 of the bulk/volume of all your meals are low calorie dense vegetables. The other 1/2- 2/3 should unrefined, un-(or minimally)-processed complex carbohydrates (legumes, intact whole grains, starchy vegetables)

- Salt - Salt seems to act as an appetite stimulant. So, the less you salt your food, the less people tend to eat.

- Variety- the less variety, the less consumption.

- Raw Foods - Foods you can eat raw tend to be lower in calorie density and you may not digest as efficiently. Cooking begins the digestion process.

- Sequencing - Eating the lowest calorie dense foods first, fills you up so you eat less of the higher calorie dense foods

- Make sure you are avoiding (or strictly limiting) all higher fat, calorie dense plant foods, nuts, seeds, oils, avocados, tofu, etc

- Make sure you are avoiding (or strictly limiting) all refined processed grains and starches that are higher in calorie density (breads, bagels, crackers, cookies, dry cereal, etc and anything made from ground up flour) even if they are whole grain

-Avoid (or strictly limit) all refined concentrated sugars/sweeteners, even if they are natural and organic

If you do this, and make adjustments as necessary, you will lose weight.

In Health
Jeff
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby RAS » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:15 am

Thanks Kirsty,& Toadfood. I needed a kick in the butt to get going again and really focus.I usually get to a point and quit..don't want to do that anymore.
Fbs 156
B-oatmeal with pumpkin and chopped apple and 1T.maple syrup.(am cutting out the flax& walnut for awhile.
L-FF baked ff. (potatoe)salad with 3-2-1 dressing
D- Mashed potatoes,brussle sprouts and corn.
Exercise-Will do an aerobic swim class at the Y
Last edited by RAS on Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RAS

Postby kkrichar » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:03 pm

I'm following MWL now too. I gotta do it. I just can't be trusted with little exceptions. We can do this! You're so close.

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby RAS » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:55 pm

Thanks kk for stopping by and encouraging me.Today is a regular plan day.Tomorrow is back to mwl. Your posts are from the heart and very soul searching..I enjoy them and I see me in many of them.Thanks for sharing your heart.RAS
RAS

Postby RAS » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:45 am

Feb 1.
11p-7a Orange,veggie soup,tea
8a-Bowl of brown rice
2p-Brown rice,salad
6p-Nuked potatoe,some sort of veggie,salad.
RAS

Postby RAS » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:45 am

Good Morning Feb2

11-7 orange,string beans,minestroni soup
B- oats,pumpkin,apple,
L-Baked Potatoe,veggie
D-Baked Potatoe,veggie,salad
RAS

Postby lmggallagher » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:17 pm

I am so impressed that you food log consistently - I really must get back in the habit. I know it will be a good thing for me too. Best of luck - Michelle :)

lmggallagher

Postby RAS » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:58 am

Thanks Michelle,It does keep me accountable.I don't want to write here what I cheat on...so I don't eat it ;-) Today will be busy,so I'll just say it is the exact ducplicat of yesterdays meals,with an additional salad or two if we have to eat out. Thanks everyone for the encouragement. RAS aka Ruth-Ann
RAS

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning