FREEDOM FROM THE BONDAGE OF SELF

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: FREEDOM FROM THE BONDAGE OF SELF

Postby toadfood » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:16 am

Yay! Glad to hear you're doing so well.

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Postby kirstykay » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:50 pm

Way to stick it out, KK!! Glad things are going well!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby kkrichar » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:11 am

So that happened.

I was doing really great until this weekend. Without going into a lot of whiny detail I'll just say I got so frustrated with 3 weeks of exercise and food compliance and no weight loss that I gave into temptation. It was not helpful, obviously. Eating high fat vegan food is not going to solve my weight loss problem. I'm back on track and, hopefully, I'll learn something from this. I've been journaling at home daily throughout this process so I know all the emotions leading up to the weekend. Maybe it will be helpful next time to go back over it all.

Moving forward. I'm on day 2 of MWL. Yesterday was rough. I expected it would be since I reawakened the feast beast. There's nothing I can do about it but get through it.

On a positive note I signed to be a coach for Girls on the Run. We had a 4 hour training on Sunday. I don't have kids, never baby sat, and live alone with my cats so young girls sort of frighten me. I hope they don't chew me up too badly. They're 3rd - 6th graders. The program is designed to integrate running into the process of developing a strong sense of self and independent thinking for young girls. They address issues of self-esteem, identifying your own values, dealing with bullies and peer pressure and what it means to be part of a community and giving back. It culminates on May 6th with a 5K race all the girls participate in. I wanted to be part of this organization for years but never made it happen before.

Breakfast: oatbran with blueberries
Lunch: taco salad (McD cup of blackbean soup, whole bag of lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, mild banana peppers)
Snack: orange
Dinner: split pea soup over mashed potatoes, strawberries

4 mile interval run on the treadmill

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby toadfood » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:47 pm

Good for you for getting back on track, and for stretching yourself to help those girls! It sounds like a wonderful program.

I know you're a 12-stepper like me, so I thought you might appreciate this writing exercise my sponsor gave me. It's called a Steps to a Slip Inventory. I hope I'm not being presumptuous posting this here; if I am let me know and I'll delete it.

1. Select lined paper and write on every third line. You will be putting in other details later. Write a story of what happened leading up to your slip, starting at least four hours before it
happened.

2. Write about the slip as if you were holding a movie camera on yourself. Your actions, thoughts and feelings should be included, right up to “and then I ate…”

3. Identify where the “emotional relapse” happened. When did you get angry, start obsessing, try to control a situation, feel overwhelmed by fear. Write the feelings on the empty lines. You may need another food addict to help you with this.

4. What were the lies you told yourself so that you could eat? “It’s only one bite.” “I’ll start tomorrow.” “It’s my last chance to eat something yummy.” “Oh, screw it; I’m going to have what I want.”

5. After that, identify the spiritual disconnection. Did you have a connection to your Higher Power that morning? How long ago did you lose it? That’s when your slip really began.

6. Read this inventory to two other abstinent food addicts, in addition to your sponsor. You need abstinent people to help you through the blank spots and denial. People that are still in the food are not clear enough to help you.

7. Write out your plan for how to address the situation the next time it happens (AND IT WILL.)

8. Finally, what is the spiritual lesson in your slip?

I have to admit I didn't do number 6 -- I just read it to my sponsor, not to two other people as well. I did find it helpful though.

toadfood

Postby kkrichar » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:06 pm

This is beautiful Toadfood and a wonderful outline. Thank you!!! I will absolutely do this.

kkrichar

Postby kkrichar » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:10 pm

Day 3. Today was rough. I didn't think I would make it home without eating Girl Scout cookies. Those wretched little heroin peddlers will be the death of me. Thankfully I am safely tucked away in my house sans GSC. Whew.

I put some sweet potatoes in the oven when I got home and hopped on the treadmill while they baked. They were ready when I finished running and were delicious! Way better than a box of Thin Mints.

kkrichar

Postby toadfood » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:17 am

Good for you resisting those GSC! I agree, they are like crack. When our secretary sells them for her granddaughter, I buy flavors that don't sound good to me (no Thin Mints or Samoas!) and give them away.

toadfood

Postby kkrichar » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:42 am

Oh man, I barely made it to work today! I forgot to chop up all my salad fixin's for today's lunch. So, I decided to stop by a grocery store with an amazing salad bar on my way to work. They hadn't put out any of the salad stuff yet but had all this delicious looking and smelling breakfast fare. My mind instantly went to the place where I think I somehow deserve to buy something for breakfast even though I had breakfast with me. I guess all the inconvenience of walking into a store for 30 seconds earns me a treat. I ran out of the store and tore-ass to my office. This week is going to suck but that's what happens when I eat off-plan. It doesn't take much and my brain goes on hyper-drive for junk food. Maybe next time I won't be so quick to fall off the wagon. Let's hope.

On a positive note, it is beautiful here in Iowa today!!! The sun is shining. The temps are in the 40s. I love my job. I have great food for breakfast. What more could I want?

I hope everyone has the day they want!!

kkrichar

Postby redhairrising » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:57 am

Way to keep it positive kkrichar! I understand, stupid feast foods....you're doing great, and way to get outta that grocery store!
redhairrising

Postby kirstykay » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:57 pm

Wow, Kelly!
You're doing it! I'm so inspired by you! You'll get past this week and back in the craving-free zone!

kirstykay

Postby kirstykay » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:44 am

kkrichar wrote:I'm down 1.4 pounds this week.

01/06/2012: 183.6
01/13/2012: 181.2
01/20/2012: 177.6
01/27/2012: 178.8
02/03/2012: 178.4
02/10/2012: 177.0
02/17/2012: 175.6

Total Loss: 8 pounds

ImageWOO-HOO!!!!!! I'm so excited to see that you're losing again, and on your way!!! You made it through the hardest part...the plateau!!! there may be others before you're finished, but you beat this one, and you're going all the way!!! Hope you have a GREAT weekend!!!!

kirstykay

Postby kkrichar » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:34 am

Hahaha! That cheerleader is awesome, Kirsty. Where did you get it? I lost another 1.6 pounds this morning! My period STILL hasn't started and the breast tenderness is hard to stay positive about. I really hope I learn something from all this. Not only did the breast tenderness start 2 WEEKS prior to my expected period start date but now my period is delayed extending the misery. I have little to no breast tenderness when I'm on-plan. This week, when I craved garbage (which was pretty much every single day), I just reminded myself how painful these last few weeks have been. If I never lose another pound in my life it will be worth following the plan just to get rid of the pain. It's hard to fire yourself up for a run when you know every step is going to be painful. I'm amazed I have kept it up this whole time.

Anywho, thanks for the support during this plateau. I know Queen Baby was getting a bit obnoxious.

I feel so good today!!!! Thank you Dr. McDougall!!

I hope everyone has a McDougallrific weekend.

kkrichar

Postby kirstykay » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:35 pm

That's great, Kelly!

I got the cheerleader here: http://photobucket.com/images/cheerleader%20emoticons/

kirstykay

Postby kkrichar » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:39 pm

I am FINALLY human again!!!!!!!!! Thank you all that is holy!!!!!! Breast tenderness is gone. Honestly, the past 4 and a half weeks has been about more than I could take. I don't know why it happened but I hope I never have to go through it again. However, if I do, I know I need to stick with the plan and try to endure. This too shall pass one day at a time, you know? I'm a little disappointed in myself that I didn't hold out this time around and had a couple slips but I think I learned a valuable lesson. I'm back on plan and feeling fantastic.

I am leaving for a trip on Wednesday. I have a 15-16 hour drive. I have never successfully taken a road trip food-wise. I have a plan and I hope I stick with it. Right now I'm trying to focus on Wednesday only and not think about the rest of the trip or the drive back. Just get through Wednesday. I have 3 books on CD to keep myself entertained. I plan to have bananas, apples, red, blue and sweet potatoes, and lots of water for the drive. I have McDougall soup and salad fixin's for the first night at a hotel. The hotel room has a microwave and fridge and a gym. I will stay with family Thursday - Saturday and then drive back (no hotel stay) on the way home. I might plan a Whole Foods stop on the drive back. I can stretch my legs and try some of their fantastic Health Begins Here stuff (is that the name of it). We don't have Whole Foods anywhere near where I live. I'm not sure there is one in Iowa. I think Chicago might be the closest.

Anyway, I'm in a good place and hope to stay that way.

kkrichar

Postby RAS » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:58 pm

Hey KK,Glad you are feeling better.Have a safe trip.Know that we are praying you thru this trip.Have a great time. RAS
RAS

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals