FREEDOM FROM THE BONDAGE OF SELF

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: FREEDOM FROM THE BONDAGE OF SELF

Postby lmggallagher » Thu May 10, 2012 4:30 pm

Kelly - wow you did cleaning things I hadn't even thought of to reduce my allergies. I lost a lot of allergy problems just being on this WOE plan, but I still have one for certain. I am allergic to my little girl cat, Swoozie. I am not allergic to my boy cat, Mr. Weasel! Go figure. But I have heard this from quite a few other people, which is they are only allergic to Siamese cats! Both of my cats look Siamese, but the boy is a mix of some sort. Allergies are so strange!

Also be strong in avoiding tendon problems! Mine was surgically cut and has been the bane of my existence. At the time I went through physical therapy with two athletes with shattered tendons. One was the then the Center of the SF Warriors, It was a devastating injury for him and a career killer too. So don't feel that you have to push forward, if you are having problems, just think you are being super smart to avoid the agony of it rupturing!

lmggallagher

Postby kkrichar » Mon May 14, 2012 10:04 am

My guests are gone and my allergy laden relative was just fine. You ladies are right. I LOVE having my house so clean. I have a 100 year old house so I have lots of wood, big baseboards in every room, and they could pass the white glove test! The cats were pretty mad about being trapped in my room all weekend. There is a small adjoining room to my bedroom where I have my treadmill and other exercise stuff. So, they essentially had a 2 room suite. I told them many kitties throughout the world are boarded in smaller spaces than that. They just stared at me speechless.

OK, here's a thing I'm pretty sensitive about and I get more irritated each time someone brings it up. I have stupid large breasts. Like triple-d sized. They used to be bigger when I was heavier and they will get smaller as I get smaller. As a runner it's really uncomfortable. I wear 2 bras plus the built-in bra that comes with the running tops I buy. These bras cut into my shoulders, cut off my circulation and I've had the skin rubbed right off the underside of my breasts. If I experience PMS the breast tenderness is almost unbearable when I'm running. Anywho, I've had people recommend breast reduction surgery to me many many times. The issue is that my breasts are this large because of my weight. All I have to do is lose the weight. If I got down to 135 (which would be a BMI of around 22) I'm pretty sure I'd be a C-cup (that's what size I wore the last time I weighed 135). If I get to my final goal weight of 120 (a BMI between 19 and 20) I have a feeling they'd be even smaller.

Anyhoo, my cousin (the one who visited this weekend) has a 13 year old daughter who had ENORMOUS breasts. They were G- or H-cup by the time she was 12 years old and she was not over-weight. She's was just a super unfortunate young girl with mutant breasts. She had a breast reduction last year and her whole life has changed. You can see her coming out of her shell. She's more social and self-confident. This girl was wearing a C-cup when she was 9 years old. Anyway, my cousin will not let it go that I should get a breast reduction. She keeps telling me how happy her daughter is and that my insurance will pay for it. Blah blah blah. I tell her that my situation is different from Sydney's. My breasts are completely weight based. I can't stand it when people use surgery to solve the problems caused by poor eating. It's expensive (even if I could talk a doctor into saying I needed it). Any surgery is risky. I wouldn't be able to run for weeks. I would have to take off work. And then what would happen if I finally lost the weight? I'll probably have deflated skin sacks as it is.

My cousin is not the only person who does this. My best friend does it too. I'm re-angried because my cousin visited so we could take a running class on barefoot running. We had to bounce up and down at 180 bounces per minute over and over again for 2 hours. I have PMS right now so my breasts really hurt. My cousin brought up the surgery again. I got mad again. In the process of trying to explain my position again to my cousin the running coach started asking questions and when I said I just need to lose weight the coach said, "Well, losing weight is pretty hard to do."

At that point it just struck me that people keep saying this to me because they probably don't believe I'll ever lose the weight. They probably think I will be miserable the rest of my life because I won't have the surgery and won't lose the weight. They want me to just accept it and have the surgery. They have every reason to believe I won't lose the weight because I've been talking about it for years and years and haven't done it. This weight is impacting my relationships on top of everything else.

Anyway, last year I planned to run a half-marathon in Indianapolis with my cousin but I got injured in the Des Moines Half-Marathon and had to cancel. One of the reasons (I believe) I continue to injure myself is my weight. Once I get over 7 miles or so it becomes burdensome on my body to run. I've worked on running form and shoes and type of training and I continue to be plagued by injury. My cousin wants to try for the Indy half again this year but I already registered for the Des Moines Half and I don't want to cancel again on her (especially if I pay the money to run it). I have a strong feeling if I lose the weight, follow the McDougall plan and use the skills I learned at the running class I can run both the Des Moines Half and the half in Indianapolis.

Finally - my point - I told my cousin I would run the Indy half with her AND I would prove to her I didn't need breast surgery. So, I have 6 months to follow this plan and get my breasts into C-cup. I think I could do that with 40-45 lbs. My breasts were in a DD last summer when I weighed 165.

I hate to put specific dates to specific outcomes so those numbers/cup sizes are just rough goals, really. My point is that 6 months is a reasonable amount of time to demonstrate significant reduction in breast size. All I have to do is follow the plan. *All* I have to do, right? It's like AA. The plan is simple but committing to it can be hard. I definitely need something to cling to during the early stages when the struggle is harder. Eventually it will become a way of life. Running is important to me right now. My health is important to me but I can see, every day, the impact my poor eating has on my running. Maybe this will provide some early incentive to get through the tough times.

I will continue to come here and post and reach out to all of you. Boots suggested I watch all the videos I can find from Dr. McD, Jeff Novick, and other low-fat, starch-based, people. I need to beat the message into my brain over and over again until nothing else pops into my head. I'm back to reading Dr. McD's new book.

I had a Rip's Big Bowl for breakfast again but that's because I didn't have time to make something better. I'll try to stay away from that if I can. It's tasty and I don't use any soy milk or anything in it but it's processed and not as filling as, say, potatoes. I plan to stick with MWL as much as possible. The thing I really need to focus on is veggies. I have to up my veggies. I bought a ton yesterday but didn't chop them up. So, I'll do that tonight and have at least one large salad a day. I also plan to make a new recipe each month (at minimum) that incorporates a lot of veggies. Summery kind of stuff. I welcome any suggestions that have worked for you.

I'm having potatoes with McD split pea soup for lunch and a giant tomato from the Farmer's Market. God bless the tomato lady!!!! I'll have salad and cucumbers (in vinegar and water with onion), and another tomato for dinner tonight!!! God bless summer!!!!

I feel good.

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby CarolynA » Mon May 14, 2012 10:32 am

It is hard dealing with people who have no confidence that you are going to do what you say you will do. I experienced the same thing when I went back to school to get my bachelor's degree. My parents and siblings didn't think that I would stick with it, and my mother was worried about the money I was spending to get my degree. It made me that much more determinied, and I not only finished my bachelors, I also completed my masters! Just use their negativity to fuel your passion for getting healthy and losing weight. (Sometimes stubbornness can be a good thing!)

I also want to lose quite a bit of weight in the next 6 months. My goal weight is a little lower than yours since I am only 5'1", but if I work really hard, I can be there by Christmas (by Thanksgiving actually). So...I am right there with you - determined to get there in the next 6 months. I have around 60 lbs to lose overall, but if I can get to that 50 lb mark by Thanksgiving, I think that I would be satisfied to take longer to lose that last 10 lbs. :) I am happy to be a support system for you, and I honestly believe that we can both meet our goals by following this WOE!!

Carolyn
I am worth it!
CarolynA

Postby kkrichar » Mon May 14, 2012 10:35 am

Oh, man, Carolyn, thank you! I really needed to hear that. We will do this! I have about 60lbs to lose total, too, so we will be on this journey together every step of the way!!

kkrichar

Postby Quinoamania » Mon May 14, 2012 11:12 am

Gee, you've lost 42 lbs already and they aren't convinced you can do this? Then I guess it's a good thing you have a cheerleading squad on this board! We are confident that you will achieve your goal. :nod:

But it doesn't seem right that you should be so miserable while you are getting there. I am not a runner (trashed knees from Army days, long story!), but I do know about deflated skin sacks. :o Including my current McDougall loss, I am down 75 pounds from my highest weight, and what I have left up there jiggles, bounces, swings, and every other humiliating thing you can think of every time I move. So I have been trying a couple of styles of sports bra from Title Nine with pretty good results, and I noticed that they carry one particular style that they promise no bounce for up to DDD cups. It is ugly as all get-out and could probably double as a bomb shelter, but if it helps to reduce your misery while you are working toward your goals, it might be worth looking into. I promise I don't work for the company! But I have purchased from them, and they have an excellent return policy and great customer service, so I wanted to pass the info along in case it gives you more options.

http://www.titlenine.com/product/sports-bras-and-undies/medium-high-impact-sports-bras/313801.do?sortby=ourPicks

Best of luck to you, and thank you many times over for your journal, which has been a big help to me as I have begun my own McDougall journey!
Robin

McDougalling my way to health since 9 Feb 2012.

“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.” ― Abraham Lincoln
Quinoamania

Postby Chile » Mon May 14, 2012 11:20 am

Having a very specific goal (lower cholesterol & BP) by a very specific time last year worked really well to keep me on track. I couldn't cheat much because I knew it would be reflected in those numbers and I had to prove to my then-doctor that I didn't need drugs to get the numbers down.

Sounds very similar to your situation: specific goal, specific time, wanting badly to prove something to someone. Keep this in mind every time you want to eat something off-limits. That food = more harrassment about unnecessary surgery.

Sadly, after I met my goal, I relaxed my standards and slip down the slippery slope right down to the bottom again. New goals will hopefully get and keep me back on track. (And also get me back to running.)

Stay strong, you can do this.
Chile

Postby Lexus » Mon May 14, 2012 11:53 am

Quinoamania wrote:So I have been trying a couple of styles of sports bra from Title Nine with pretty good results, and I noticed that they carry one particular style that they promise no bounce for up to DDD cups. It is ugly as all get-out and could probably double as a bomb shelter, but if it helps to reduce your misery while you are working toward your goals, it might be worth looking into. I promise I don't work for the company! But I have purchased from them, and they have an excellent return policy and great customer service, so I wanted to pass the info along in case it gives you more options.http://www.titlenine.com/product/sports ... y=ourPicks

This looks exactly like the bra I use and it is a lifesaver for me!!! The brandname I use is Enell http://www.enell.com/ and yes, it is like a corset for your breasts but it made running possible with size DD breasts. I won't use anything else and I highly recommend it for you!

We all really need to accept the body parts we were born with. Having said that it sounds like your cousin's daughter is an exception to that rule. You seem to realize that your size is weight related (me, too) so do what you need to make it more comfortable to exercise and when you've lost the weight then re-evaluate things! Good luck and hope this bra helps you out!
All my best, Lexus

Began the journey to health on April 20, 2012!

Lexus

Postby kkrichar » Mon May 14, 2012 1:15 pm

Thanks Ladies,

I may be wrong about the motivation of the people encouraging me to get surgery. I just don't understand why someone would continue to tell you do something after you just told them the problem would resolve itself with natural weight loss. Either they don't think I'll lose the weight or they don't think my breasts will really shrink or they think a quick fix now is a good short term solution. I do know they feel bad for me and they would like to see me not in pain. So, I don't see it as negative necessarily but it's frustrating for me. I don't like having to repeat that I need to lose weight or I plan to lose weight or if I just lose some weight. I hate this struggle as it is without my failed efforts at reaching an ideal body weight being the topic of conversation every time .... whatever. Less talking more doing.

The people in my life right now were not in my life at my heaviest weight. They have just seen me going up and down the same 20lbs over and over again for the last 5 years. My cousin just knows that her daughter is so happy and she wants that for me. I was estranged from my family for about 20+ years and we're all very happy to be getting to know each other again. My cousin and her family just became vegan after I recommended Forks Over Knives to them. They're wonderful people. My best friend is someone I reconnected with from high school after our 20 year class reunion. We hadn't seen each other since high school. She was flat as a pancake and I had "big breasts" by high school standards back in the day and so she has a hard time believing my breasts will get smaller. I keep telling her I wore a C-Cup bra in high school but that's now how she remembers it. It's funny because she had breast implants and her breasts will be bigger than mine when all is said and done!

I'll check out the link you provided Lexus. Thanks.

Chile, I have 3 Enell bras and all 3 rubbed the skin right off the underside of my breasts. There's a seam in them that must hit me in the wrong spot. I've tried different sizes to see if it was the fit. I've repositioned my breasts to see if it was the way I was wearing it but nothing helped. I'm bummed, too, because a) those bras are very expensive and b) they do hold the girls in place better than any other bra. I've tried just about every single bra on the market for women my size. I've been on running forums taking suggestions from other large breasted runners. Right now, my 3-bra combo seems to work. The outside bra is really the support. Then I have a tank-type bra underneath that shields my breasts from any seams in the outside bra and then the shelf-bra in the running top adds a little extra hold. I still bounce but it's tolerable (if I don't have PMS). Sometimes my arms fall asleep from the pressure of the bra straps. The Enell made it really hard for me to breathe. Sigh. Luckily my breasts will shrink while I shrink. So, I don't have to wait 6 months to notice a difference.

Chile, I will definitely use that suggestion of food = more harassment about unnecessary surgery when I feel tempted!!! I'll just relive this latest discussion in my head until my ego and stubbornness beat the desire for garbage! It's interesting that people don't think twice about recommending serious and costly surgery with substantial recovery required but would never tell me to lose weight. That would just be rude. :duh:

I feel so much better just talking this out with you guys. Thanks!

Just had a taco salad for lunch. Yum.

kkrichar

Postby kkrichar » Mon May 14, 2012 1:17 pm

Clicked on the link. That bra does look just like the Enell. I should check to see if all the seams look the same.

kkrichar

Postby kkrichar » Fri May 18, 2012 9:40 am

I'm doing good. Day 5 on plan.

I ran last night using the new things I learned in my running class. The biggest thing is sticking to 180 steps per minute. It is exhausting. I know I'll get used to it but, whew, I was taaarrrd by the end. I ran 180 UPHILL, too.

I think I'm getting some energy back. It's kind of hard to tell because I have PMS and my head hurts. This morning when I got out of bed I just felt a little lighter so that's good.

I really need to get my finances under control. I've been re-evaluating my mortgage insurance and car insurance companies. I've called my Internet provider about reducing costs. They lowered my monthly bill by $25/month just because I asked! I'm refinancing my mortgage now that the interest rates are lower. Blah blah. Anyhoo, yesterday I saw some cherries in the grocery store for $7.99/lb. I've blown tons of money on cherries in the past and these didn't look that great. But, I was thinking maybe, for a treat this summer, I'll buy some cherries now and again. Suddenly my idea of a financial splurge and a personal treat is buying cherries!! I love it.

I've decided not to run the half-marathon tomorrow. My Achilles are not healed and now I have pain in a couple toes when I run more than 2 miles. I think it's my running form that's causing it. I need to go back to short runs until I can perfect my running form and then build the miles back up. This is my year for doing things the smart way not my way. I always want things now no matter what the cost and that needs to change.

Time to grow up and listen to people who know what they're talking about. If I want what someone else has all I need to do is ask how they did it and do the same thing (not just the parts that sound easy or fun).

Have a great Friday everyone!

kkrichar

Postby Chile » Fri May 18, 2012 10:11 am

kkrichar wrote:I've decided not to run the half-marathon tomorrow. My Achilles are not healed and now I have pain in a couple toes when I run more than 2 miles. I think it's my running form that's causing it. I need to go back to short runs until I can perfect my running form and then build the miles back up. This is my year for doing things the smart way not my way. I always want things now no matter what the cost and that needs to change.

Very smart to recognize you need to back up and rebuild. DH is doing that over the summer as he transitions to running in minimalist shoes (the Vibram 5-fingers). Usually he's somewhat impatient and driven but, as you know, that doesn't help prevent or heal injuries!

You'll come back better than ever.
Chile

Postby kirstykay » Fri May 18, 2012 5:34 pm

KK-just catching up a bit on your journal. Sorry to hear about your pain. :( Bummer that you'll miss the race, but it's good ultimately you will be able to build up for the rest of the season and come out of it better for waiting! You obviously made the right decision!

I love the cherry story! Yes, sounds like you are making great decisions that you will be happy about later. Congrats being on day 5! And congrats on the ticker coming down! You're doing awesome! :nod:
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby kkrichar » Sat May 26, 2012 12:59 pm

Hi All,
I feel fantastic! 12 days on McD and I'm down 6.6 pounds. I've had headaches a lot and hoped they would go away but perhaps soon they will.

I went to the Farmer's Market this morning and found myself irritated by the people there. There were a bunch of food stands with nothing but garbage. Of course it looked and smelled really yummy to me. I over-slept and didn't have time to eat before going there so I got hungry immediately. That made me resentful of all the people who eat the stuff and keep the market for garbage vibrant. Then I saw a mom with a hot dog with all the works handing her daughter a hot dog. That made me mad. Then I heard another mom tell her son he could have puppy chow and that made me even madder. I thought, "Really? Y'all are at the Farmer's Market with some of the best fresh produce in the country and you want hot dogs and puppy chow???" Then I saw a little girl over by some pastries yelling, "Mom, look at these!" All these parents are feeding this crap to their kids thinking they're showing love or giving their kids a treat. Eventually their kids will be fat and sick and struggling to change like I've been for past 20 years. Only their kids may never hear about McDougall and could quite possibly die before their parents.

I'm frustrated because I still want these things when I see them and I'm mentally blaming all these people for it. I kept breathing in the smells trying to retrain my brain into associating the smell with something gross like a hog confinement. I kept telling myself I was smelling rotting flesh and grease and puss and every overweight person I saw with food I asked myself, "Is that how you want to look?" It was hard but I made it out of there without eating anything. I know it'll get easier. I just have to keep going.

Sigh. I need to go for a run in my new minimalist shoes. I think I finally found a pair that will work for me. I'll let you know how it goes!

kkrichar

Postby mtns » Sat May 26, 2012 1:59 pm

Good job losing that weight!!! I do have a hard time watching people feeding their kids, given I know I am not perfect and allow my kids to eat chips now and then and some junk, but not very often. 90% of the time they eat healthy foods. What gets me is people who think they are feeding their kids healthy and yet still feeding them junk.
Have a good weekend. Your doing great. Kathy
mtns

Postby LauraA » Sat May 26, 2012 3:37 pm

Wow! I've just read your entire journal, and I'm finding so much of it helpful to me. Thank-you! I have a big problem with food addictions, and always have, even when I was very slim. I never drank or smoked, but I have a son who was in a program for alcoholism, attends AA, and has been sober for 5 years. I attended family support for his program for about a year, once per week, and I made very strong connections with his drinking and my eating. He was adopted, so nothing genetic here. I'm also interested in your discussion of moderation. For me, that has to be moderation within the McDougall program. If that is the ideal way to eat, then my would we purposely include foods outside of that in moderation if we have food addictions? I do think that everyone is different on that. Some people need to not deprive themselves too much, but for me, if I have a little, then I'll have it all. Anyway, thanks for all Of your well written and thought provoking posts. Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals