FREEDOM FROM THE BONDAGE OF SELF

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: FREEDOM FROM THE BONDAGE OF SELF

Postby redhairrising » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:00 pm

Hooray for making it through kkrichar! I'm happy for you! You're inspiring me, I'm also leaving for vacation next week down south, and may throw some potatoes in my suitcase ;) Take care! And it's Health Starts Here and I love that stuff :) I mean, yes, in different stores it means different things I've heard, but all ya gotta do is read the ingredients and you should be all set! Everything here in Chicago is vegan and oil free.

Have fun!!!
redhairrising

Postby kirstykay » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:22 pm

You're doing soo GREAT, Kelly!!! Have a wonderful trip and enjoy visiting family! Can't wait to hear about what a success it was when you get back!! :)
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby carollynne » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:55 am

KK, have a great trip, you sound like you are doing it up so good. I love your honesty here, I go thru a lot of the same inner dialogs with myself over food.
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby kirstykay » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:19 pm

Kelly,
I hope you had a nice vacation. Are you back home now? I have been thinking about you and wishing you well. It'll be fun to hear how your travels were...good, bad, or ugly...your experience is always something I learn from and love to hear about.

Thanks for popping in on my journal and encouraging me! Hope all is well! Miss you! :)

kirstykay

Postby kkrichar » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:26 pm

I am so moved by the MWL weigh-ins today I have decided to journal again. I did not follow through with my food plan for my vacation and I have been struggling ever since. The first couple days after I got back seemed easy and without cravings but it didn't last long and I had little resistance to the pull of SAD food. I've stopped weighing in because it seemed to be more upsetting for me than helpful but I continue to check-in to see how everyone else is doing. I'm happy for the successful people but I'm jealous too. I want what they have but I don't know how to get there.

I know I need to follow the plan 100%. This I know and believe to be true. What I can't quite get at is how to make the switch in my mind that frees me from this cycle. Over the past 7+ years in AA I have seen people who come in and out and in and out and can never string 30 days together. My heart aches for them and I want them to experience what I have experienced. I want them to know the feeling of freedom from alcohol. I wish they would "just" follow the program as it is written. Why can't they just try it? Sigh, look at me. Sitting at my desk writing the same post I've written 50 times before in the same emotional place I was the first time I wrote it. Any old timers (as we call them in AA) still willing to read one of my posts shake their heads and think, "why doesn't she just try the McDougall program?"

I want to follow this plan. I want to find the strength to make it through the early days when my withdrawal from salt, oil and sugar is strong. I need to find a way. I will find a way.

Today Kirsty listed the following things that have really kicked her program into high gear:

1. No salt, oil, sugar.
2. Eat to satisfaction rather than gluttony.
3. No snacks.
4. Move more during the day.
5. Ask [higher power] for freedom from the bondage of self.

There is nothing new on this list. I've seen it before and I've promised it before but I like seeing it again. I need to live this list. I need to follow these guidelines every single day until I want to follow these guidelines! I will try to post something every day.

Kirsty also suggested to me that I celebrate or praise myself each time I make a good choice. I need to let go of the negative self-talk and focus on the good. This morning I caught my reflection walking into work and my first thought was about how fat I looked. Suddenly, Kirsty's words were in my head and I thought about what I had done right this morning. I had resisted the urge to buy a vegan scone for breakfast and, instead, ate my usual oat bran and blueberries. I love my oat bran and blueberries so there's really no reason not to eat them. I just wanted the scone. Fortunately, I had my breakfast already prepared so it made the decision that much easier. So, I stopped thinking about how fat I look today and started thinking about how happy I was I didn't buy the scone. My mood lifted immediately. Because I ate my pre-prepared breakfast I also ate my pre-prepared lunch and enjoyed that too. I plan to leave work today having stayed on-plan. I can go home tonight and eat an on-plan dinner knowing my whole day was a success. I can wake tomorrow morning with a full day under my belt and have greater faith I can do it again.

Thank you to Kirsty, who is so patient, compassionate and generous with her time and wisdom. Thank you to everyone here who continues to return and show us what life can be like on this plan. Thank you Dr. McDougall and everyone else who volunteers their time to keep this website running and free and full of hope.

Everyone can do this. Even me.

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby sksamboots » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:25 pm

Yup and just remember your struggle is normal and you are not alone :nod:
sksamboots

Postby kkrichar » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:29 pm

Thank you too boo boots a roo!!!!!

kkrichar

Postby kkrichar » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:17 pm

I have decided to stop weighing myself until April 28th. I wasn't participating in the MWL weekly weigh-ins but I was stilling weighing myself. I feel really committed to doing this and I absolutely don't want expectations regarding weight loss to get in the way. A friend of mine is visiting on April 28th and we're going to run a 10K race. So, I thought that would be a good weigh-in date.

For the next month I want to get comfortable following the plan and learn to listen to my body regarding hunger and fullness. I want to use energy levels, reflections in the mirror and clothing fit to feel my progress.

I am in week 2 of a 10-week half-marathon training program so I should experience successful weight-loss if I follow MWL. I can have faith in that. I don't need to see it on a scale. I'm an obsessive weigher. Staying off the scale may actually be harder than following the plan. We'll see.

I had a great food day and I completed my run scheduled for today.

kkrichar

Postby kkrichar » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:09 pm

DAY 2.

I feel good. I put my scale away yesterday and have yet to dig it back out. I get on the scale every time is see it. I kept it in my bedroom so I would see it first thing in the morning and before bed at night. My treadmill is in a room connected to my bedroom. So, I go past the scale when I hop and off the treadmill. I weighed myself at least 4 times a day. It was just a habit. Like any habit it feels weird to disengaged. The first thought this morning was to hop on the scale and it wasn't there. But I just reminded myself I wasn't doing that for awhile I focused on making breakfast.

Today is a rest day for my half-marathon training so I plan to do some work in the yard and around the house to get myself moving. I went to the grocery store and bought everything I need for salad. I plan to make some 321 dressing. I plan to focus on getting my green and yellow veggies in with my mid-day and evening meals. I was on Weight Watchers many years ago. A friend was doing great and I wasn't. My friend said if I get my vegetables in everything else falls into place. She was right. When I "follow" the plan but have difficulty losing weight often it is because I'm eating only starches and ignoring the veggies. I've read posts from people who say it's nearly impossible to over-eat on starches but I can. I have the capacity to consume massive amounts of food. The thing with veggies is I don't like them that much. I like salad with 321 but I don't love it. When I eat salad I tend to stop eating before I've stuffed myself. Not only do veggies add bulk to my meals without adding a lot of calories but they don't trigger a desire to over-eat. I have to stick with foods I enjoy but not LOVE if you know what I mean. The thing I like about the 321 dressing is I can't over-do that either. I put all my veggies in plastic bag and add a little 321. Then I shake it until everything has dressing on it. If I put more than a TBS or 2 (depending on the size of the bag) the vinegar makes me cough and it's too overpowering. Other salad dressings tempt me to add a little bit more and a little bit more until I'm essentially eating salad dressing with a tiny bit roughage rather than vegetables with a tiny bit of dressing.

I feel positive today which is important. I'll check back tomorrow to report in.

kkrichar

Postby Debbie » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:15 pm

Good for you!! Keep up the good work.

Hey, just as an aside, you can report your weights in the weigh in group whenever you want. So you if you weigh yourself on the 28th of April, just report the total from the last time you reported. It doesnt have to be weekly to count.
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby dehydratedwater » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:21 pm

Yay!!! Thank you for sharing.
dehydratedwater

Postby kkrichar » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:30 pm

Thanks Debbie. That's a good idea. I'll do monthly starting on the 28th of April. I feel so much better now. It feels good to be a part of something. Finding a way to join in without making things harder on myself is sometimes difficult to do. I think you may have found my solution.

Hey, d-water, thanks for stopping by. It helps to get encouragement.

kkrichar

Postby kirstykay » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:36 pm

Kelly,
GREAT GOING!!!! You are off to a wonderful start. I love your idea of taking the scale out of the equation for a while. And I totally hear you about it being different when you change something like that...makes a lot of sense. Conrats on 2 awesome days under your belt! :nod:

kirstykay

Postby proverbs31woman » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:53 pm

kkrichar wrote:I have decided to stop weighing myself until April 28th. I wasn't participating in the MWL weekly weigh-ins but I was stilling weighing myself. I feel really committed to doing this and I absolutely don't want expectations regarding weight loss to get in the way. A friend of mine is visiting on April 28th and we're going to run a 10K race. So, I thought that would be a good weigh-in date.

For the next month I want to get comfortable following the plan and learn to listen to my body regarding hunger and fullness. I want to use energy levels, reflections in the mirror and clothing fit to feel my progress.

I am in week 2 of a 10-week half-marathon training program so I should experience successful weight-loss if I follow MWL. I can have faith in that. I don't need to see it on a scale. I'm an obsessive weigher. Staying off the scale may actually be harder than following the plan. We'll see.

I had a great food day and I completed my run scheduled for today.

This sounds a lot like me. I've given up on weighing myself so much, and I feel great about it. I'm enjoying my loose-fitting clothes rather than a number on the scale.

Keep moving forward!
proverbs31woman

Postby kkrichar » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:18 am

Thanks Proverbs. I know many of us here have an issue with the scale. ETeselle has been telling people forever to stay off the scale but sometimes it feels like too much to change so many behaviors at once. I had to get to a point where I was hurting more by weighing myself than I would hurt by resisting the scale. It would be nice if we could learn from others but, alas, we have to walk our own path. That's not entirely true. The thing we do learn, I believe, is the way out. Because ETeselle made such a huge deal out of weighing daily it was always in the back of my mind as something I should consider changing. So, as soon as I was ready I knew what to do. Thanks ET!!!

Day 3 is fab! I had Bob's Red Mill Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal with a banana and some cinnamon. I actually got up earlier than usual today. I feel great and positive.

I have an 8 mile long run scheduled for today. I'm a little nervous about it but I plan to take it really slow. The weather is supposed to be beautiful and I'm looking forward to being out in it!

Happy Sunday everyone. Have a great day.

kkrichar

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals