Heather's Weekly Check-in

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Heather's Weekly Check-in

Postby hdewitt » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:30 pm

1/3/12 Started - 148 pounds BMI 27.1

I'm four weeks into the MWL way of life. It's not too far from what I normally eat, except for the oil and being consistant. I can honestly say that I have been a weird dieter and tried everything and lost nothing. But I have a great education! Anyway, I love running and hopefully will be picking that up again soon. I would love to do a half marathon this year. I really miss distance runs.

Weigh in was this morning....
1/16/12 - 138 pounds BMI 25.2 WOOT WOOT!

What I've learned this week/month... I use my veggie steamer twice a day, I love crockpot baked potatoes, I simply LOVE LOVE LOVE steamed eggplant. Learning to cook and eat without oil and butter has been a challenge but I've managed just fine.

How I feel this month: AMAZING! I used to be a coffeeholic. Seriously drank at LEAST a pot a day if not more. All. DAY. LONG. I eased out of coffee slowly before Christmas. I was having horrible kidney pain (go figure) before, now I am perfectly fine. Energetic, it's easy to get up in the morning, and I am finding a groove with meal planning.
hdewitt

Re: Heather's Weekly Check-in

Postby hdewitt » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:24 am

1/31 - Okay... I think I'm in my first plateau. I've been stuck at 138 for two weeks now. This is my body's natural stopping point everytime I've attempted to lose weight, and I'm just not sure how to push through it.

I've upped my cardio plan this week. Downloaded some more newer music to help with Chi running. Committed to follow MWL plan this week and cut out soy. Made a batch of salsa to put on my potatoes. I'm hoping to break out of this plateau by next monday. I'd like to see 130 by the end of February, but at this point I'm hoping for 135!

The last two weeks I also bought a couple of cookbooks from the Happy Herbivore, so I've been trying out new recipes. Maybe that's part of the problem too. I'm on a maintance diet instead of a losing diet.

Either way... planning for a breakthrough this week. Love reading on this board! Keeps me encouraged.
hdewitt

Postby Broadbean » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:35 am

I've been on a plateau for a while, too. It's kind of comfortable being here, though I'd like another five or ten pounds gone. I too would like to do a half marathon this year. I've been kind of lazy about either committing to more running or a stricter version of MWL. (ie MWL without cheats!)

Maybe it's time to crack down...

Good luck! I'll be following your journal/journey....
Broadbean

Postby giddyupgin » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:24 am

I have hit a plateau also...I'm going MWL....just need to get stricter...and healthier along the way......
Have a great ride as we ride through life...
from giddy up gin <^__~~ Wooo....hooo...

http://www.windowpanearts.blogspot.com
http://www.giddyupgin.blogspot.com
giddyupgin

Postby hdewitt » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:22 am

My new week Check-in.

Drum roll please......
135!!!!!!
I made my first goal!!!!!!!
BMI is at 24.7

So excited. I tried to lay off the tofu and soy just a little bit this week. Had company over on Saturday and made a stew from HH blog. Then I went to my parents for the super bowl, and ate a SMALL amount of their food. They tend to get nervous when I don't eat. But they did have a salad which was nice. So, while i didn't eat MWL all week, I did stay the course and only have one meal that wasn't "approved".

I'm hoping I can stay on the 2-3 pounds a week, the next goal is 125.
hdewitt

Postby hdewitt » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:24 am

BTW I just wanted to add. I have NEVER been this weight as an adult. I think I was at ten years old. I was always the fat kid, and as an adult I've aways been the Fat Friend. It's a little strange how EASY it has been. I feel like somehow I cheated the system. I've tried to lose weight the past ten years and I've never been able to. It's crazy. And awesome.
hdewitt

Postby Dissolution » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:08 am

hdewitt wrote: It's a little strange how EASY it has been. I feel like somehow I cheated the system.

This is pretty much how I've felt my entire time following this WOE.
Dissolution

Postby StarchBeet » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:58 am

Eating well, feeling well and not deprived does feel like you know something others are missing out on. That's the reason I like to share about this WOE. It feels good, looks good, and tastes good. Can't go wrong!
StarchBeet

Postby hdewitt » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:14 am

Monday Update:
LBS 133 - Down 2
BMI 24.3

Sometimes I wonder if my scale is broken. How can I really succeed at this?! It keeps going down, in the right direction. For the first time in my life my BMI is in the normal range. I've always been considered obese or overweight. Enjoying that!

Last night I was having a conversation with my mom about this WOE. She dosn't agree with me and hates that I eat this way. That's fine. She made a comment about if I thought me being tired alot was because of what I am eating. Blah. I reminded her that I also get up at 4am to run, followed by school online that I attend full time, work full time, and I have a three year old, and my husband lives in another state 3,000 miles away. So NO it's not my eating habits, that's probably the only thing that keeps me running on high!

Oh, and my husband reminded me that there is a co-op in the county that sells organic produce by the box in the summer/fall. I had totally forgotten about that. Now I just have to remember where that was. Every week you get a box of produce for six months I think? I don't remember. But it was nice of him to bring it up!

Anyway, that's my story for the week. I'm enjoying the continued success. Hopefully I can break through the 130 barrier to the 120's that would be amazing.

Hope everyone has a fantastic week!
hdewitt

Postby Dissolution » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:17 am

This is a great website to find local CSA's.

http://www.localharvest.org/
Dissolution

Postby hdewitt » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:20 am

Dissolution wrote:This is a great website to find local CSA's.

http://www.localharvest.org/

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Exactly what I needed, I just found the farm!
hdewitt

Postby giddyupgin » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:37 pm

Good for u. Wool hooo

giddyupgin

Postby kkrichar » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:55 pm

I'm really happy for you! I've been on a plateau for a couple weeks now and I needed to be reminded to just stick with it. It'll come off. Great posts! I love your enthusiasm.

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby hdewitt » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:53 am

Happy Monday!
I missed last Monday. I had a road trip where I flew to see my husband in Arizona and we drove to Georgia in three days. Only stopped for gas, so lunch and dinner were all gas station food. Blech. I've been so thirsty!! Anyway... I weighed in yesterday at 130, I hopped on the scale this morning and got 135? Wacky. Anyway. So not sure what is up with that or where to measure from. I actually took measurements before I started this WOE, so far I've lost four inches from my waist and four inches from my hips. Pretty awesome and feeling great. Hoping to make my next goal in two weeks... hard work ahead!
hdewitt

Postby giddyupgin » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:13 pm

I'm not sweating the lb or 2 now...if i start to stall or go up I just eat more veggies...simple as that.....sounds as though you are doing GREAT!

giddyupgin

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning