Here goes!!

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Here goes!!

Postby pixie » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:25 pm

Just back from whole foods! plenty of food ;-)!
pixie

Postby afreespirit » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:28 pm

You are learning as you go, pixie! That isn't failure in my book. There is a learning curve and you will adjust to the lighter food. Give it time. After awhile on McDougall most of us can barely eat our old food anymore as it literally makes us sick (as in nausea, diarrhea, headache and swelling of the joints...).

What worked for me when I began on McD was never allowing myself to get too hungry. That kept cravings away. And I still lost weight and improved my health immensely. So make sure you eat enough, and enough starch. Maybe you could tuck some microwaved yams away to enjoy on your break. They are very filling and you can actually eat them out of hand, skin and all. After awhile this won't even seem crazy to you. :-P

Adherence over time. :)
afreespirit

Postby pixie » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:51 am

Thanks much appreciated. I'm sure it will get easierand am excited to get there.
pixie

Postby michaelswarm » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:45 am

Pixie,

I find a full pantry and plenty of produce in my kitchen baskets helps. Gives me plenty of options. And always some fresh fruit, which right now is apples and bananas.

Don't know how your tastes go, but plenty of tasty recipes out there. I've explored Indian cuisine, for example, which has plenty of taste. Having variety of salads, sauces and starches also seems to helps me.

When I'm away from home, I throw fruit or leftovers in a sack, and fall back on veggie Subway if all else fails.

Just keep going.
michaelswarm

Postby pixie » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:23 am

michaelswarm wrote:Pixie,

I find a full pantry and plenty of produce in my kitchen baskets helps. Gives me plenty of options. And always some fresh fruit, which right now is apples and bananas.

Don't know how your tastes go, but plenty of tasty recipes out there. I've explored Indian cuisine, for example, which has plenty of taste. Having variety of salads, sauces and starches also seems to helps me.

When I'm away from home, I throw fruit or leftovers in a sack, and fall back on veggie Subway if all else fails.

Just keep going.

Awesome tips. So far terrific start this week as I'm better prepared. Potatoes fried with onions in nonstick skillet are a lifesaver.

Subway veggie sounds like a great way to stay safe.

I love Indian so I need to play with recipes over the weekend. Cauliflower potato dal would be comforting.

Today
B SMOOTHIe with banana pineapple mango and van soy milk
L: Mexican rice with Corn tortilla and salsa
D sales with fried potatoes
Snack orange and maybe some homemade soup if need be
pixie

Postby pixie » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:28 pm

Doing well so far aside from one night out for a birthday dinner. although I stayed vegan, veggies tend to be doused in oil/salt in restaurants.

4lbs in 2 weeks! it's a start.

Okay this is my problem. I tend to suffer from cold sores (haven't had many in the past few years but used to get them a lot as a young child/teenager). I've read a lot in the past and high arginine foods are a problem - lysine counteracts this imbalance- that is why they say to take lysine for cold sores. Well the problem is I've been eating a lot of brown rice which is a high arginine food and now i'm starting to suffer the pain and beginnings of cold sores again. Is it bad to eat white rice... best I stick with potatoes as my main starch. That is the only down side of my starch based diet so far.

Also not finding it easy to eat a lot of raw veggies/salads. not my fav way of eating veggies, maybe because it's winter and cold. I've been eating cooked food more than raw, this might be slowing my progress.

well that's my saga for now. so far i love eating this way!!
pixie

Postby pixie » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:36 pm

an added note, I looked up diet and cold sores... well I've been eating arginine rich foods no wonder i'm beginning to suffer..

oatmeal, raisins, brown rice, chickpeas, popcorn !! my mainstays HELP!

the article notes to balance with lysine rich foods, most beans, nutritional yeast, which i've been eating but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

http://www.cleansingorsurgery.com/herpes.htm
pixie

Postby michaelswarm » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:15 pm

Pixie,

Congratulations, your body must be on track.

Quick search of message board for "cold sores" does have some hits. Brown rice is preferable to white rice, but white rice is better than junk food or animal products. Plenty of Asian countries eat white rice, and are still quite thin.

For salads, how about various non-green salads? I almost always have tomato salad, tomato cucumber salad or cucumber onion salads as mainstays. Cole slaw is good green salad, since cabbage keeps well. Even potato salad.

But I also like lots of cooked veggies, in soups and sauces. I'm not sure the calorie density or nutrition difference is significant.

Cauliflower potato dal sounds interesting...
michaelswarm

Postby pixie » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:06 pm

What is it with me and boredom of eating the same types of foods. Still can't get away from my sugar cravings or my "junk" food cravings.

Ughhhhh, have had a few bad days this past week and feel like I could go down that slippery slope of pigging out... and giving in.
pixie

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning