Here goes!!

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Here goes!!

Postby pixie » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:24 pm

I am attempting to embrace this program full force!! I have been struggling with my weight and have started and failed with many "diets". I will be 50 in September and do not to be an overweight unhealthy middle aged woman!!
Have been vegetarian for 8!years but eat way too much junk food. Sugar a real problem .

Having a huge problem with caffeine withdrawal so I have had to do a half decaf mix. Really felt sick with no energy and could never go to work feeling this way.

Trying to find oil free bread is difficult and dressings without sugar/oil.

Today had oatmeal with fruit. Made Himalayan soup (bland) so added spinach and some salt. Had this for lunch and dinner .

Grapefruit for dessert. And a green smoothies made with romaine celery spinach and fruit.

Looking forward to overcoming my weaknesses and suceeding!
pixie

Re: Here goes!!

Postby kirstykay » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:16 pm

Welcome! Congratulations on your success! I wish you much more. I think journaling is a great way to see trends and patterns and to change the bad ones, celebrate the good ones! A couple of days and the withdrawl symptoms should subside...hang in there, you're on the right track.
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby michaelswarm » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:55 pm

Pixie,

Way to go. If you understand and practice this, you'll succeed.

I used to believe in exercise. I took a sabattical one summer, and bicycled or jogged every other day, and got stronger, but didn't loose any inches or pounds. I almost agreed with my parents that it was just a normal part of getting older.

When my parter was diagnosed with cancer, we both agreed first to vegetarian and later to McDougall. Within 6 months I was back to my college waist and weight. Where I've been ever since.

To help you succeed...

I agree, a good baker is hard to find. Here in California, Whole Foods Market carries Alvarado Street Bakery breads (Santa Rosa, CA). I prefer to Ezekiel. (Bakery is the primary item that brings regularly me to Whole Foods.) I've seen both for sale in health food stores (refrigerated) as far away as Florida. Also, ethnic flatbreads, like pitas and lavash, are often traditional, just whole grain wheat, yeast and salt, and can be found in Middle Eastern groceries.

If you like citrus or vinegar-based dressings, lime juice, lemon juice, rice vinegar and some spices are good. Add soaked raisins or apples or other fruit for sweetness.

Started learning Indian recipes, and now that it's winter, having lots of fun cooking soups. To unbland a soup, try either different stock, or adjust finish with touch of lime or lemon juice and perhaps some garam masala and cilantro. Salt to taste can help too.
michaelswarm

Postby pixie » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:12 pm

Grateful for your suggestions and enthusiasm. I look forward to journaling and learning from all of you! I know this is the right direction for me, it just makes sense to eat "real food" instead of processed junk.

I live in Boston, we do have Whole Foods so I will look for Alvarado St. in the freezer section. I did find some german style dark bread made without oil - today!! Bought lots of potatoes and will make them a staple as well as brown rice.

Funny, how most "diets" scoff at the word potato, yet everyone here has had such great success eating them in great quantity. Just goes to show what the fatty toppings will do to nature's perfect foods
pixie

Postby pixie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:16 pm

Day 2.
B- oatmeal with craisins, pear, applesauce
1/2 decade coffee with vanilla soy milk.
L - side salad and Himalayan soup with spinach(leftover)
D - probably a potato dish or beans rice corn salsa wraP with Ezekiel wrap .
Snacks - kiwis and a pear
pixie

Postby toadfood » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:53 pm

Welcome! You're doing great!

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Postby pixie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:08 pm

toadfood wrote:Welcome! You're doing great!

Thank you. Look at your impressive weight tracker! Another McDougall inspiration for me!
pixie

Postby michaelswarm » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:59 pm

Great part of 10-Day Program was Jeff Novick's fun talk on reading labels, followed by field trips to both normal supermarket and Whole Foods Market. We had list of items to find like a scavenger hunt. Good practical stuff.
michaelswarm

Postby kitty_kat » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:09 am

Good luck on this journey :D
kitty_kat

Postby pixie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:25 pm

Oatmeal for breakfast
Rice beans and salsa for lunch.

Very hungry today!!!!

Working 10 hrs so no chance of grabbing healthy options as I work in a hospital and the cafe is not mcdougall friendly!! Ironically
pixie

Postby kirstykay » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:42 pm

pixie wrote:Oatmeal for breakfast

Very hungry today!!!!

Working 10 hrs so no chance of grabbing healthy options as I work in a hospital and the cafe is not mcdougall friendly!! Ironically

You can always go for the fresh fruit, green salad w/o dressing...don't cave into unhealthy options, and don't let yourself get too hungry! You're doing great!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby pixie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:53 pm

kirstykay wrote:
pixie wrote:Oatmeal for breakfast

Very hungry today!!!!

You can always go for the fresh fruit, green salad w/o dressing...don't cave into unhealthy options, and don't let yourself get too hungry! You're doing great!

thanks, I did get some fruit but it wasn't quite fulfilling.. I go long periods without being able to eat - when I get home, I want to GORGE! (ended up working 12 hrs) .. fried up some potatoes and off too bed... too tired to make another salad

thanks for the support...it's
pixie

Postby pixie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:04 pm

Maybe I'm not eating enough? Just curious because I was so hungry today - do many people find they ate large portions of legal food when starting this program and as time went by they did not feel the need to eat so much?

I had so many cravings today, it was really difficult to think of eating more rice/salad/fruit... guess I'm just used to filling the void with "junk" food.
pixie

Postby Broadbean » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:36 pm

Yep -- I found I was quite hungry at first. It was hard to figure out what I needed to eat, when, and how much. It got better when I started making these massive bean, rice, kale, corn, and salsa burritos and ate those for lunch for a couple of weeks. Then I felt I could drop the tortilla and ate a bowl of rice and beans. Gradually I've added more vegetables and cut back on the beans.

My big realization has been that it's not about will power -- it's all about planning and preparation. If I have good food around I'll eat it; if I have bad crap, I'll eat that. Period!
Broadbean

Postby pixie » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:09 pm

Well I'm sorry to say I'm failing at my attempt to mcdougall :oops:

poor planning is the culprit . Must try harder to have enough food prepared so as not to get too hungry. Also need to make my food tastier... The blandness of my meals was a turn off after 3 days. I'll practice!! And look for recipes!!

My life is spent mostly away from home so being prepared is critical - I must work at meal planning better.

The kind words here make me want to succeed!! I envy your discipline and cannot wait til it becomes easy.
pixie

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning