30 Day Commitment Journal

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

30 Day Commitment Journal

Postby proverbs31woman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:38 pm

I've been following the McDougall program on and off for about 8 years now. Although I struggle with eating the wrong foods, I always return to this plan because I believe it is the best for my health.

I've decided to embark on a 30-day challange this time. I weighed myself on Monday, January 2nd, and my starting weight is 176.6 pounds. My BMI is 30, which is obese for my 5'4" frame.

So, for the next 30 days I'm focusing on following the McDougall Plan. I'm mostly following the MWL, but as a compromise to my family (hubby and two kids), I will eat no more than one regular McDougall meal. That meal will usually be eaten for dinner.

By the end of the 30 days, I want to have lost at least 10 pounds, and be committed to the program. I've decided to weigh myself at the beginning and not weigh myself again until the end of the 30 days. After the 30 days are over, I plan to make another committment and of course, continue following the program. I'm hoping that my tastebuds will have adjusted by then.

Although I haven't made a commitment to exercise, I will try to incorporate that into the plan. It may become the main focus after I adjust to being committed to this plan.

So far, so good. I'll keep you all updated on my progress.
proverbs31woman

Re: 30 Day Commitment Journal

Postby proverbs31woman » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Today has been going okay so far. I've learned that I'm the most succesful on this program when I eat more. If I wait too long to eat then I'm looking for anything to put in my mouth, and that's not good.

I've been eating the McDougall Right Food meals today. I haven't made the time to cook these past couple of days. I will try to catch on that this weekend.
proverbs31woman

Postby proverbs31woman » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:42 pm

I'm still on plan. It'll be a week on Tuesday.

I've been following the regular plan, but I'm considering trying to follow MWL for the most part and incorporate some exercise at least 3 days a week.
proverbs31woman

Postby Debbie » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:51 pm

Hi! You're doing well. Keep up the good work. Glad you're still around too. :cool:
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby CJJ » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:26 am

Good idea on the 30 day commitment!
I plan to return to the plan in FORCE 1/10/12. That will start in about 35 minutes.
CJJ

Postby proverbs31woman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:44 pm

Thanks for the support, Debbie and CJJ.

I'm still following the plan, and I know that I'm losing because my pants are getting a little lose.

Today has been a bittersweet day. I found out this morning thatvmy grandmother passed away. That's both bitter and sweet because I will miss talking to her, but I know that she's in a better place now.

At first I didn't really feel like eating after getting that news, but I've found a way to manage and feel normal again.
proverbs31woman

Postby CJJ » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:49 pm

{{HUGS}} I understand the bittersweet. Sad for you, happy for grandma!
CJJ

Postby kirstykay » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:19 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Peace
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby Melinda » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:12 pm

I'm sorry for your loss also. Glad to see you back here!
Melinda

Postby proverbs31woman » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:27 pm

Thanks, Melinda, kirstykay, and CJJ. I really appreciate the support.

These past few days have been pretty good in spite of my grandmother passing way. I'm just looking forward to going to the funeral on Tuesday and reminiscing with my family about the good times we spent with her.

I'm still following the plan. Sometimes I eat more flour products than I would like to, but for the most part, I've been keeping it down to eating about one serving of flour products a day. Yesterday I had a burrito from Moe's Southwest Grill. It was filling, but I was disappointed by how salty it tasted. I will make sure that I stay away from the salsa the next time because I think that contributed to most of the salty taste. What I like about Moe's is that unlike most people I can eat Mexican food and not get all of the fattening stuff like sour cream, cheese, and guacamole. What I do to get the most for my money is I order an Art Vandalay Junior, and I have them put the tortilla at the bottom of a rice bowl then stack everything on top of it so that way I can get more lettuce, pico de gallo, etc. than I would get with a burrito, and it's easier for me to eat cosnidering that I have braces.

Overall, I'm enjoying the plan although I am concerned about going out of town next week. I uisually fall way off plan when I go out of town. I need a good solid plan to follow, and I need to understand that the food is never so good that it's worth sabatoging all that I've worked for.
proverbs31woman

Postby Debbie » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:52 pm

Im so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Take care of yourself. Keep up the good work too. :cool:
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby proverbs31woman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:18 am

Thanks, Debbie!

I'm now in Louisiana for the funeral tomorrow. I must say that I was really apprehensive about coming out here. Not only because of the funeral but also because I know how easy it is to get off plan with so much SAD food around.

I'm so happy to report that I stayed on plan today. I must admit that I did have one Twizzler, but that's all. Everything else was on plan. While traveling out here I ate baby carrots, pretzels, tortillia chips, and baked beans and potatoes while my family ate sandwiches. It was satisfying. Although I've had a lot of flour products today, I'm so glad I stayed on plan, and I didn't bring attention to myself while doing it. That lets me know that it's possible for me to stay on plan and travel.

I brought some light soy milk and Kidz Superfood drink mix that I will probably drink for breakfast tomorrow, and I have some of the meal cups and one more serving of beans and potatoes. My parents have some lettuce, tomatoes, and a red onion in the frig. I might make a salad with that. I don't expect the food that they cook to be within the McDougall guidelines, so I plan to eat before going to the funeral and bring a snack like pretzels with me.

I'm almost halfway finished with my 30 day committment, and I'm looking forward to renewing my committment and adding something new to it. I may follow the MWL for 30 days, and I may committ to exercising for at least 3 days a week for 30 days.
proverbs31woman

Postby proverbs31woman » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:35 am

Well, I've made it through another day of eating on plan. I did have sone green beans that I know had oil in them, but that was the onky cheat, and the oil was in the water from the beans.

My grandmother's funeral went well, and I thought that I would be able to move on much easier after the funeral, but it's e opposite...I'm wondering how I can go on without my grandmother.

Here's what I can remember eating today (in no particular order):

Soy milk and Kidz Superfood
2 or 3 meal cups
Strawberries, grapes, and other fruit
Green beans and salad (no dressing)
Glass of juice
proverbs31woman

Postby proverbs31woman » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:49 pm

I made it through the entire trip to Louisiana while eating on plan. It was difficult, but I've now proven to myself that I can do it, and I've learned that if you set the standards then people will follow them. In the past I've been guilty of lowering my standards in order to appease others, so I now feel more confident about saying what I eat.

During the trip, I've also learned that although my goal is to follow the MWL plan more than the regular plan, I have to be lenient and allow myself to eat more of the regular plan and eat more convenient foods like the meal cups. Next time I will make sure that I pack more baby carrots and fruit, especially delicious fruit like mangos. The pieces of mango that I had yesterday was a great treat.

Although I miss my grandmother very much, I feel proud of what I've accomplished these past fews days, and I plan to continue with the plan.
proverbs31woman

Postby carollynne » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:31 am

HI, and I wanted to stop by and say that I am so sorry about your grandmother, I love how you put it though, the part about her being in a better place. My mother passed on last March, then her only brother on Dec 22d, and now who is next in her family tree? Her only sister has diabetes and some heart stuff, and at 84 is doing so well.
Hugs to you and keep at this WOE!!
have a good day!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning