Gramma Jackie's "Eat More Starch" Challenge

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Gramma Jackie's "Eat More Starch" Challenge

Postby Gramma Jackie » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:04 pm

janluvs2heel wrote:

Speaking as someone who has had a partially ruptured achilles tendon, stretching exercises would really help you as well. You can just go online, put in tendon stretches or whatever & find them. That will go a long way to help you become more active. And less pain afterwards.

You are doing great, GJ.

My son-in-law is a soccer coach and strained his achilles tendon while playing soccer. He told me how to do the stretches. I put my hands on the door jam and one foot in front of the other and bend in to stretch my calf muscles and achilles tendon. It's the first thing I do every morning. Otherwise I couldn't walk
Gramma Jackie

Postby Gramma Jackie » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:03 pm

Wednesday's Meals

B- Bread Pudding (McDougall recipe)

L- Portabello mushroom fajita with corn tortillas

D- Brown rice, steamed broccoli and cauliflower

Snack: rice crackers
Gramma Jackie

Postby Gramma Jackie » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:06 pm

Going to the library tonight. As I said in another post in the Lounge, my library carries all of Dr. McDougall's books as well as all of the other plant-based doctors books. They also carry a huge amount of vegan cookbooks.

Thursday's Meals

B- Bread pudding (McDougall recipe)

L- Leftover brown rice, cauliflower and broccoli

D- Texas Vegetable Casserole (McDougall recipe)
Gramma Jackie

Postby Gramma Jackie » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:20 pm

It's been very windy today, but no snow (yet). I have been doing 30 minutes a day on my stationary bike. It says that burns about 125 calories a day.

Friday's Meals

B- Oatmeal & apples

L- Leftover Texas Vegetable Casserole (MWL book), brown rice

D-Tossed salad, mashed potatoes, corn on cob, mixed vegetables

Snack: Homemade fat-free Fritos with salsa
Gramma Jackie

Postby Gramma Jackie » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:16 pm

Today was my husband's 65th birthday. We went out for Chinese food.

Saturday's Meals

B- Hashbrowns with onions and peppers

Lunch- Veggie burger

Dinner- Brown rice, rice noodles, tofu and veggies

Snack- popcorn
Gramma Jackie

Postby carollynne » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:38 am

Hey, then Happy Birthday to your husband. That is a real milestone. congrats of being that ripe old age too. My DH is 66 now. I know one day they will both we with us on this WOE!! And BTW: We love oriental food here too.
I wanted to say that it is so wonderful that your public library has all those McDougall books and more vegan cookbooks too. I would love it, There is not one of the McD books in our library.
Keep up the good work, sounds like you are doing great!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby Gramma Jackie » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:37 pm

carollynne wrote:Hey, then Happy Birthday to your husband. That is a real milestone. congrats of being that ripe old age too. My DH is 66 now. I know one day they will both we with us on this WOE!! And BTW: We love oriental food here too.
I wanted to say that it is so wonderful that your public library has all those McDougall books and more vegan cookbooks too. I would love it, There is not one of the McD books in our library.
Keep up the good work, sounds like you are doing great!

Thank you. I will relay your birthday wishes to my husband.

We live in the Columbus (OH) metroplex which includes about 10 smaller communties that have all grown together so we have a large metroplex with a huge library system. Altogether there are about 15-20 libraries in the system. I simply do a search of the library catalog to see what books are available and the book is then sent from whatever library it is in to my closest library. I can even reserve books from just about anywhere in the U.S. in fact. I haven't tried to do that since our own library system owns so many. We also have several Barnes & Noble bookstores including 2 gigantic two story ones. And we have a local bookstore chain called Half-Price books where I've found some of Dr. McDougall's books for less than $5.00.
Sunday's Meals

B-GF Whole O's. 1/2 banana, almond milk

Snack- Dr. Oz Butt Buster Brownie (oatmeal, raisins, almond milk, cinnamon and cayenne)

L- Baked chile relleno, rice and beans, FF vegetable tamale

D- Nothing as I was stuffed from lunch

30 minutes on stationary bike
Gramma Jackie

Postby Gramma Jackie » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:40 pm

My achilles tendon finally healed enough for me to be able to walk around the neighborhood. The weather was wonderful and it felt really good to be able to walk outside for the first time since before Christmas. This will be my last daily journal post. Posting daily gave me something to do while I was unable to walk, but it is getting old now and I am able to get around and do other stuff, so I will only be posting about once a week or so.
Gramma Jackie

Postby LauraA » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:48 am

Hi Gramma - I just started a new journal, and I'm also thinking that posting daily will be too often. I think that weekly might be a good idea. I'll do a few daily posts just to sort of get started. You are doing great, and I love following your blogs. Thanks for all of the help. Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Postby Gramma Jackie » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:13 pm

I gave a huge bag (plastic lawn and leaf bag) of clothes that were too big for me to Goodwill. I am now working on filling up a second bag.

One thing that has helped is that now that my achilles tendonitis has almost healed completely, I can exercise more. The weather is still crazy so I haven't gone for walks outside, but have been exercising more on my stationary bike. It is postioned so that I can see the TV from it. I have music channels on TV and have found that the 70's music channel has the best beat to exercise to. At first I could only do a few minutes, but now I've worked up to between 30 minutes to an hour a day. An hour equals over 7 miles and 300 calories burned.

p.s. I canceled my Google accounts for privacy reasons since they now share personal information with everyone on earth, so I am not doing my blogs anymore.
Gramma Jackie

Postby carollynne » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:20 am

no kidding!! When is this www and the entire gotta make every penny we can off of everything, world ever going to stop? Do not blame you for getting off the blog thing.
I think it is so great that you did your stationary bike daily. and a very big congrats to you and that big bag of clothes that has gone to the Goodwill store too. So much fun doing that!!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby Gramma Jackie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:15 am

carollynne wrote:no kidding!! When is this www and the entire gotta make every penny we can off of everything, world ever going to stop? Do not blame you for getting off the blog thing.
I think it is so great that you did your stationary bike daily. and a very big congrats to you and that big bag of clothes that has gone to the Goodwill store too. So much fun doing that!!

Here is the new policy that Google began on March 1st.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... story.html

On March 2nd I had a ton more spam in my mailbox than usual. So I have been busy all week marking unwanted e-mails as spam. Usually I will have a few new spams a week that I have to mark, but after Google began sharing my info, I had about 20 all at once. :\ I know that there are many ways for websites to track people. Facebook also tracks people around the web and that is irritating too. I have gotten on and off Facebook because of it, but it's not as bad as Google. What seems to happen with FB is that I will have ads customized to my interests pop up on whatever page I am on. FB and other "sharers" try to match the ads up with people's interests based on their browsing history. However I don't think that FB gives all your personal info away, but they may. I have gotten e-mails where the spammer knows what city I live in. :eek: My husband is a programmer and he used to work for a company like AOL, so I know my way around the web and have been online for 20 years. I know what can happen to people's info even though they say it's just for business purposes.
Gramma Jackie

Postby Adrienne » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:15 pm

Your blogs will be missed! But you can always blog/post recipes here.
Adrienne

Postby carollynne » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:28 pm

HI again,Gramma, I worry too, about all the spam I get, still get a few a day, and it all started when I responded to a spammer right on this forum how stupid it that one? But Jim PM me and I deleted it, and still I am thinking I might must start a new email...
I put them all into junk, and they keep coming, it is some guy in odd ball place like Nairobi I am sure, sitting at a cyber cafe laffing his butt off, about Americans..... will not even open up a forward anymore, just in case of bundles.
No need to blog!!
Stay save out there!! and have a nice weekend too!
carollynne

Postby Gramma Jackie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:37 pm

:\
carollynne wrote:HI again,Gramma, I worry too, about all the spam I get, still get a few a day, and it all started when I responded to a spammer right on this forum how stupid it that one? But Jim PM me and I deleted it, and still I am thinking I might must start a new email...
I put them all into junk, and they keep coming, it is some guy in odd ball place like Nairobi I am sure, sitting at a cyber cafe laffing his butt off, about Americans..... will not even open up a forward anymore, just in case of bundles.
No need to blog!!
Stay save out there!! and have a nice weekend too!

I used to get a lot of viruses too, even though I had a virus detector that was suppose to put them behind a firewall. It crashed my old computer big time. After getting a new computer my husband paid for a 3 year subscription to another one which works pretty good although my present computer also crashed just before Christmas because the fan quit working. Thankfully we have an external drive that my husband saved everything to. But after getting it repaired, he changed to a new operating system which wouldn't take my saved favorites list, so I have to rebuild that, plus learn my way around h
the new system. Argh! :\
Sometimes I think computers are more trouble than they are worth, but then I realize that they have supported us financially for the last 20 years since my husband is a computer professional. :)
Gramma Jackie

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals