Gramma Jackie's "Eat More Starch" Challenge

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Gramma Jackie's "Eat More Starch" Challenge

Postby LauraA » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:40 pm

Hi, Gramma Jackie, and thanks for stopping by my journal. It sounds like you are doing great! I had already read here that you have stopped doing your blogs. I'm so sorry that you had to do that, because they were great, but I certainly understand! Maybe you can put some of your blog info into your journal somehow? Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Postby Gramma Jackie » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:11 am

I am so frustrated with the internet even though I am an old hand at it. I tried putting at least one of my blogs on Word Press. I don't like it. I find it much more difficult to use than Google Blogger. Also with Google I could make as many blogs as I wanted to using only one e-mail address, but with Word Press I had to have a separate e-mail address for each individual blog. Then yesterday I was setting up my homepage to be MyYahoo instead of just the plain Yahoo homepage. In the course of doing this I found that Yahoo shares all my account information with advertisers and like I said before I am pretty sure Facebook does too. In fact I know it does because I have my security set for only "friends" on Facebook, but Yahoo has my Facebook information and is sharing it with advertisers. I don't know about Word Press since it is UK based. Even clearing my browsing history or logging off sites every time I use them frequently won't solve the problem. It's so frustrating. What's the solution? Either just accept that there is absolutely no privacy on the Internet anywhere, not even when you think you have initiated security precautions, or not be online at all. People, we are in the age of "big brother" and it's not just the government. It's also the internet. :angry:
Gramma Jackie

Postby LauraA » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:10 am

I don't think that there is any privacy. I mentioned on this board once before that my daughter posted here for awhile a few years back, and used her email name as her screen name (not the @ part, just the beginning). Anyway, she later found out that if one googled her email address, then all of her posts here showed up. They weren't top secret, but had to do with breast feeding, etc. Also, on here once I posted a link about my nephew, a school principal, who started a garden at his school, and healthy eating. Once I posted that link, then all of our relatives who googled that link somehow saw all of my postings here. Again, not top secret, but I don't really like the world to see my struggles over each pound. I also think of people here who discuss marriage issues, problems with kids, etc. There really is no privacy here or anywhere on the internet. Yikes! Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

Letha
LauraA

Postby LauraA » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:14 am

Well, I just googled LauraA, and nothing about me was on the first few pages. I then googled Gramma Jackie, and the very first result contained your posts on this board. I just wanted you to know. Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

Letha
LauraA

Postby Gramma Jackie » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:23 am

LauraA wrote:Well, I just googled LauraA, and nothing about me was on the first few pages. I then googled Gramma Jackie, and the very first result contained your posts on this board. I just wanted you to know. Take care, LauraA

Well that's why I don't use my real name on here, but I did on my Google Blogger account (which I've cancelled) and I still do on Facebook. I had my blogger account set on "public" so that would have probably appeared on a Google search also. That's why I rarely put photos of family members on my blog or FB page and never put their names on there. I am concerned about some of my family members who have their FB pages set to "public" and then put personal information on them. When I try to talk with them about it they think I am being paranoid, even though one of my family members was the victim of identity theft. :eek:
Gramma Jackie

Postby Gramma Jackie » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:25 pm

I am so wanting to cut down on my fats, but hubby wanted burritos tonight. While at the grocery store I gave into the temptation to buy avocadoes and make guacamole. Man was it good! Usually the avocadoes in the grocery stores up north are disgusting--either hard as a rock or so ripe they are moldy. But the ones I bought today were gorgeous (if you can call an avocado gorgeous--ha ha) and I hate to admit it, but I pigged out on the guacamole big time. I think I ate almost a cup of it. Oh well, back to low fat eating again tomorrow.
Gramma Jackie

Postby Potatohead » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:20 am

:lol: well if your going to pig out...better to do it on guacamole, than a bag of chips or a carton of ice cream :nod:
I have done that..really no biggie...put it past you and move on ;-)
you have done well..it's just a bump in the road..and trust me when I was losing..I hit "potholes" :lol:
"IT'S THE FOOD"....John McDougall MD
~Potato Freak~
Potatohead

Postby Gramma Jackie » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:21 pm

Potatohead wrote::lol: well if your going to pig out...better to do it on guacamole, than a bag of chips or a carton of ice cream :nod:
you have done well..it's just a bump in the road..and trust me when I was losing..I hit "potholes" :lol:

I agree about pigging out on something nutritious like avacados. Man they were SO creamy, I just couldn't help myself. I didn't even put anything in them except for some lemon juice. Yummo. That wonderful taste will stay with me for quite awhile. :) Do you grow avocados? I used to have an avocado tree in my yard in Largo, FL and also when I lived in Hawaii. They produced so many avacados it was like fiesta time everyday. :D But unfortunately they are high in fat.
Gramma Jackie

Postby Potatohead » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:15 pm

Gramma Jackie wrote:
Potatohead wrote::lol: well if your going to pig out...better to do it on guacamole, than a bag of chips or a carton of ice cream :nod:

I agree about pigging out on something nutritious like avacados. Man they were SO creamy, I just couldn't help myself. I didn't even put anything in them except for some lemon juice. Yummo. That wonderful taste will stay with me for quite awhile. :) Do you grow avocados? I used to have an avocado tree in my yard in Largo, FL and also when I lived in Hawaii. They produced so many avacados it was like fiesta time everyday. :D But unfortunately they are high in fat.

No, I don't have any fruit trees in my yard..I am on a canal...we had an orange and grapefruit tree in the yard when we bought the house, but we took them down because they were diseased.
~Potato Freak~
Potatohead

Postby Gramma Jackie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:19 am

I am coming down with a cold today. My husband had it last week, my son-in-law the week before that and my grandson the week before that, so it's my turn. :\

My husband hasn't made any big pronouncements about not eating the McDougall way, but I know he has fallen off the wagon. I know it's difficult for him because he can't find any place to eat when he takes his lunch break. There is no place for him to eat if I pack him a lunch either. So he goes to fast food places. It's discouraging, because he weighs at least 300 lbs. and his dad died at about his age. I worry about him all the time, but I know I cannot change him if he doesn't want to change. It's not just because he wants to eat unhealthy, but because he just doesn't take the time to think about it one way or another. Anyway, after seeing Frozenveg's video yesterday, I realize that I too will have to just do my thing and let my husband do his.
Gramma Jackie

Postby Potatohead » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:08 am

Jackie..You and I are almost in the same boat...My Hubby is not onboard fully..I still have to cook him chicken and fish....I have said this before...My Hubby had a quadruple bypass last year at the age of 52..it did change his eating somewhat...but I know deep down he will never fully embrace this lifestyle. He did give up smoking, and he lost 25 lbs...He is still about 20 lbs overweight, but he is active....hopefully your Hubby will go back, before he has a major health crisis...but you are doing all you can for him. he has to want it for himself..
~Potato Freak~
Potatohead

Postby Summer » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:57 am

I'm not sure if it makes any difference to you, but you can still opt out of targeted ads with google from your dashboard, you can also delete histories and change privacy settings and find out everything they know and collect and change settings with those and even set up alerts to warn you... really the only thing that changed and you can't opt out of is having all the google services combined and honestly that just makes it easier. Fwiw, I haven't opted out of most things and I don't get any junk mail or spam (I've had much more issues with facebook and yahoo and they don't seem to be anywhere near as easy to even figure out how you can opt out of info sharing, if it's even possible, at least for me).
Summer

Postby Gramma Jackie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:45 pm

Summer wrote:I'm not sure if it makes any difference to you, but you can still opt out of targeted ads with google from your dashboard, you can also delete histories and change privacy settings and find out everything they know and collect and change settings with those and even set up alerts to warn you... really the only thing that changed and you can't opt out of is having all the google services combined and honestly that just makes it easier. Fwiw, I haven't opted out of most things and I don't get any junk mail or spam (I've had much more issues with facebook and yahoo and they don't seem to be anywhere near as easy to even figure out how you can opt out of info sharing, if it's even possible, at least for me).

Well it's true that it may be Yahoo and Facebook. It's hard to tell. It just seems like I'm getting more spam than ever before. And you know every time there is a change in any one of those hosts, it gets on the news and they sound like the world's coming to an end. It's not that I have any real sensitive info online. Heck I don't even do my banking online, mainly because I practically live next door to the bank. I used to shop online a lot, but don't anymore because I am trying not to rack up credit card bills. I did cancel my Google account and I may regret it since I love doing blogs and have been doing so for a number of years since I am an artist (another privacy concern since I don't want anyone else to take credit for my work). I am trying out other blog platforms like Word Press, but haven't found anything I am crazy about yet and they probably have security issues also.
Gramma Jackie

Postby Gramma Jackie » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:16 am

McDougalling makes me crazy!! I think about what I am and not suppose to eat to comply with the McDougall plan, but sometimes forget that I am not suppose to eat anything with gluten in it! :\
One of the reasons I became overweight is because I was always finishing everyone else's leftovers. My husband bought a package of pita chips that were fairly low fat. He ate all he wanted and then was about to throw the bag away last night. You guessed it---I finished them off. As soon as I did it I just KNEW there was gonna be trouble. Now I have a headache and a stomach ache and will probably have to spend all afternoon and maybe even tomorrow in the bathroom. I am so mad at myself. I have to quit just looking at the fat content on things and not the gluten content. I am really feeling bad. :(
Gramma Jackie

Postby Katydid » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:52 am

Gramma Jackie,
I realize you are doing a eat more starch challenge, but the easiest way I have found to avoid gluten AND gluten-containing junk food (and there's plenty of that out there - I mean does anyone really need gluten-free peanut butter puffs cereal?) is to repeat the mantra 'if its made from flour it isn't food'. By eliminating processed carbs - irrespective of the source, I am no longer tempted by the stray pita chip, pretzel or cold cereal lying about. I just have to watch out for whole grains like barley and non-certified oats - neither of which I allow into my house. Hope your stomach feels better soon.
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals