Gramma Jackie's "Eat More Starch" Challenge

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Gramma Jackie's "Eat More Starch" Challenge

Postby Gramma Jackie » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:35 am

Katydid wrote:Gramma Jackie,
I realize you are doing a eat more starch challenge, but the easiest way I have found to avoid gluten AND gluten-containing junk food (and there's plenty of that out there - I mean does anyone really need gluten-free peanut butter puffs cereal?) is to repeat the mantra 'if its made from flour it isn't food'. By eliminating processed carbs - irrespective of the source, I am no longer tempted by the stray pita chip, pretzel or cold cereal lying about. I just have to watch out for whole grains like barley and non-certified oats - neither of which I allow into my house. Hope your stomach feels better soon.
Kate

You are right, Cathy. I tried eating GF bread, but it's not only too much trouble making my own gluten-free bread (cause all the ones in the store have eggs and/or oil), but it's so easy to just forget and eat something I shouldn't. From now on, my "eat more starch" challenge is just going to focus on brown rice, potatoes, beans, squash and corn. NO processed starches. While the GF processed foods are not as addicting as wheat products (because wheat contains opoids from what I've read and the others don't) it's still easy to eat them instead of healthier food. I don't even know what posessed me to eat the pita chips, but I am paying for it.
Gramma Jackie

Re: Gramma Jackie's "Eat More Starch" Challenge

Postby Summer » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:38 pm

Oh no, Gramma Jackie! Did you already order the Roastorama tea? I noticed it says it contains gluten, so maybe stay away from that one. After reading several celestial seasonings packages at the store I somehow ended up with one with caffeine :eek: ... all the others they carried had natural flavors and I was just so glad to find one that didn't that I didn't even think to notice the fine print, oops! It was Morning Thunder and yeah, I like it.... ahhhhhh!

Also, regarding credit for art concerns that was actually part of what got me feeling a little more open to my kids becoming more active on the internet... the more you get 'seen' the more credit you get really, I actually feel 'safer' when it comes to that having a well established nonanonymous online presence... it actually makes it harder for others to claim credit for your work. (and when/if they try to you just get more publicity!)
Summer

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals