Bunsofaluminum in 2012

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Bunsofaluminum in 2012

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:33 pm

Not stopping long, as I am at my sister's and there is a big happy campout being put together in the front room with kids.

Just wanted to get my journal started. I'm fasting today, for both spiritual and physical reasons, and will start tomorrow with sensible McDougall foods. I may or may not do MWL, but I'm off the rich stuff. Eating so stupidly over the holidays, I've gone and gotten constipated. :\

It'll get better fast, though.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Re: Bunsofaluminum in 2012

Postby Rosey » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:15 pm

HUGS!!! Just thought I'd give you hugs and let ya know I'm looking forward to seeing what happens this year.
Rosey

Postby jld » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:02 pm

Good for you for getting back on track, buns. What a good idea to start the year with a fast! Nothing like a fast for making simple food taste great.:)
A clean life is its own reward.
jld

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:45 pm

I had a pretty terrific post ready to go when my computer timed out! I forgot I was on the clients' computer, which only has internet access until 8 am and after 4 pm

so, all the good stuff I was writing...hmmm...lemme try and remember

1) I feel fat. The belly fat and upper arms especially seem denser. Funny, I didn't feel fat when I was this weight, on my way down!

2) I am an emotional eater, as yesterday's full loaf of French bread with a tahini based cream/spread (homemade, but still...) would prove. A long, very stressful day at work yesterday was antecedent to that little feeding frenzy. I also ate some chocolate at work...

3) going to Florida! woot! It's for a prayer retreat/seminar, at the end of January, and I'm super excited. A week of contemplative serenity, praying the hours and reading the daily office with like-minded people and learning a bit more about what it means to live in community. aaaahhhh...bought my plane tickets day before yesterday. Jan 29-Feb4 yahoo!

There was more but that's all I can remember. I might post food. I'd like to follow Debbie's pattern and get a whole week on one post, to see if there are any patterns. Meanwhile, with the extreme limits on my internet access, I'll do whatever is possible
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:06 am

Last night, I had a total binge.

Here's what I ate: gold grape tomatoes; grapes; baby carrots and snap peas; roasted spiced garbanzo beans; dates;

I sat and watched a Mayazaki film and ate, and ate, and ate. Stuffed myself.

This was after I'd made a trip to Winco for their great bulk section that has butter toffee almonds, M&M's, sesame sticks, trail mix, pistachios, raw almonds, sunflower seeds, Reese's peanut butter miniatures. I also was at the discount store where they have potato chips for .99c a bag...fresh, too. Their date is Jan 12, and I bet they're yummy.

The discount store is where I bought the bag of baby carrots, broccoli and snap peas...I bought six bags, actually. I also found baby kale, triple rinsed. And the golden grape tomatoes. Then, feeling a terrible phase of munchies coming on, I drove to Winco, with those butter toffee almonds on my mind. I tootled around in the bulk section for a half hour. Even got a bag of sun seeds...which I left there. Even got a bag of soy nuts...which I left there. I ended up buying some sliced mushrooms, grapes, apples and forgot to get cat litter which was the one thing I really needed :roll:

So, I done good, and I'm proud of myself. I totally binged. Ate and nibbled all through the evening, on raw, fresh vegs, low fat crunchies, and super sweet chewy dates (not many of those...they are RICH!) this *is* the Munchies From Hell that I always get with PMS, but this time I freaked out on good, on-plan stuff. :D

Recently tried a recipe for a rice dish which was delicious, but the sauce truly made the dish. It's Tahini Dressing, so it is not non-fat, but it only has 2 TBSP of the stuff. It also has tofu, but I used low fat tofu (recipe called for it, and I had it in my fridge :)) So, today I made some more of that dressing and used a couple T on my baked potato at brekkie this morning...YUM!

I've been wanting something creamy, to get me past this phase of "this is such boring food" that I got into a few months ago. I think this just may be a base for lots of good, creamy salad dressings. I could eat salad every day, three meals a day, if Ranch dressing were involved ;-) but this tahini dressing might be a good substitute. At least, if I can have the creamy texture, I will be less likely to stray into SAD foods, and it isn't non-McDougall, though it is high in processed ingredients.

we'll see. No pounds dropped so far.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby kirstykay » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:29 pm

GREAT JOB, BUNS!!!!!! Feels good to have a "guilt-free binge"!!!
:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Can you post a recipe for that rice dish and the tahini dressing? Sounds yummy!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:52 pm

doing okay. My daughter and I went to IHOP, and I had a mushroom spinach hashbrown stack, no cheese, (but I did have the egg, over easy) It was okay. I also had some of my daughter's pancake. They were okay. It was a good reminder of why I hardly ever eat out: the food quality is NEVER worth the price. But I got a good idea for my own hashbrown stack, coming up very soon in my own kitchen: saute'd mushrooms, spinach, garlic, onion on a bed of crispy fat-free hashbrowns, with maybe some of that luscious creamy sauce...

ah. I was going to post that recipe...the dressing is THE BOMB! I want to put it on everything. I want to lick the spoon.I want to make a batch and eat it out of the food processor! :lol:

there was a picture on the blog, can't find it now, but the link is here:

http://www.happyhealthylonglife.com/hap ... -rice.html

Enlightened Ten Minute (More like 30) Tasty Asparagus and Brown Rice

Serves 4-6

2 14-ounce cans of chickpeas, drained

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 medium sweet onion, chopped

1/4 cup of vegetable broth--used only as needed when sauteeing the onions & chickpeas

1 bunch of asparagus, cut in 1-inch pieces

3 cups pre-cooked brown rice (I used the frozen already cooked brown rice available at Trader Joe's

2 TBS. of almond slivers, toasted in a low oven (I cut this down from 1 cup of almonds--you could leave it out entirely if you like)

fine grain sea salt & paprika, optional

1/8 to 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper, optional--if you like heat

Tahini Dressing:

1 garlic clove, smashed & chopped

2 TBS. tahini (I cut this down from 1/4 cup) *Don't leave this out!

zest of 1 lemon

4 TBS. low-fat silken tofu

scant 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

2 TBS. hot water

scant 1/2 tsp. fine grain sea salt (optional)

a couple grinds of fresh black pepper

Directions:

1. If you're using frozen rice, heat it in the microwave and set aside. Or cook up enough rice for 3 cups, cooked.

2. Make the dressing by pulse mixing the following ingredients in a food processor: the garlic, tahini, lemon zest, lemon juice, and tofu. Add the hot water to thin a bit and then add the salt & pepper to taste. Set aside.

3. Heat your non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions to the dry skillet and saute. Lower the heat. Sprinkle with a bit of salt & paprika if you like--the paprika helps give it a nice golden color. Stir occasionally--the onions will be fine sauteeing in their own juice for awhile. As they get dry, or begin to stick, add a couple tablespoons of vegetable broth to deglaze the pan. Add the garlic, and continue to saute for about 10 minutes, total until they are soft, sweet, and golden. Add broth--2 tablespoons at a time, if needed to prevent sticking. Remove from the pan, and set aside.

4. Now add the 2 cans of chickpeas/garbanzos to the skillet, and "dry saute" for a couple of minutes. Let them get a little crusty, browned or even a tad bit charred. They may "hiss & pop".

5. When they are nicely browned, add the sauteed onions & garlic back into the pan, and add in the asparagus pieces. Cover with a lid for a minute or two to steam--just until the asparagus brightens and softens up just a bit.

6. Uncover and stir in the rice and toasted almond slivers. Taste & season to taste. Mix in the cayenne pepper, carefully, if you like that kind of heat.

7. Serve family style in a big bowl, and pass the tahini dressing so everyone can mix some into their rice.

NOTE: This dressing is delicious on a veggie or falfel burger, and left-over rice salad is great mixed into a salad of greens.

It is yummy. I'm making some today, possibly for dinner (though I do want black bean soup...hmmm)

weight went up two lbs :\
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:20 am

well, I had that hashbrown stack for brekkie yesterday. Two potatoes, hashed and browned; a huge handful of sliced mushrooms and about a half bag of spinach saute'd with half an onion. Put the shrooms and spinach on top of the browns, and YUM! i had them with mustard and ketchup.

That filled me up nicely, and I ate at 9:30, so I didn't eat again until 3:00 ish...the rice and asparagus yummy dish. :unibrow: I had seconds and a half of that. SO good! I had the tahini dressing with it, so definitely not non-fat, and it is what I'm having for lunch today. There is black bean soup at home for dinner when I get there.

Then I sorta blew it in the evening. I ate some Lindt chocolate "Intense Mint" and some toasted cinnamon bread with a thin layer of peanut butter and honey on it. I guess it wasn't flat out BUTTER, but still. And on white bread? really?

Sunday was a restful, sweet day. Church in the morning, and quiet alone time with God and a good book, bundled in a blanket with my feet up and a cup of tea at hand. Very nice. Very restorative.

TODAY:
B: cheezy steel cut oats; saute'd baby kale
L: asparagus rice w/tahini dressing
D: bean soup; toasted whole wheat bread

snacks: snap peas and baby carrots for sure.

Ooh, serendipity has brought a luscious flavorful gelatin my way. Cooking my own garbanzos, without salt or any flavorings. The most recent batch I made, I left them in the pan for a day after fully cooking them. When I put them away, there was this amazing gel substance coating the bottom of the pan. It was SO GOOD! It reminds me very much of the gelatin you get when making stock from bones. It is the same consistency without any fat, and very rich in flavor. I ate the stuff out of the pan with a spoon! Amazing to me that it could produce such rich flavor with only the garbanzos. No salt or other seasonings.

so now I want to think of how to use this delicacy. In a sauce for sure.

and that's it for now. the day is on me.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Anna Green » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:16 pm

Buns, so fun reading your journal. I liked the description w/ the book, tea-so cozy sounding. Also thanks for the info about the "gelatin". Sauce w/ roasted garlic and some herbs? Figure it out girl and let me know! :D I'm not much of a cook.
Anna Green

Postby Debbie » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:00 pm

Hi! I made a hashbrown stack of sorts today. I took thawed and heated frozen spinach and put crispy hashbrowns on top then smashed mexican beans then some salsa. Mmmm good. Thanks for the idea.
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:49 pm

Today I have been concentrating on holding my tummy muscles in...and doing that has canceled thoughts of munching or having treats. :!:

so far, so good, too btw.

Dang I wish I had more time to click around and post here, but I've had other important things going on, which is good. Very good.

TODAY:
B: an apple; a cup of coffee (mocha latte with soy) :oops:
L: two c of rice and stir fry (yum! I did make the sauce with 1 tsp of peanut butter, much less than the 1/4c the recipe calls for)
D: prolly LO Moroccan Sweet Potato Stew

Yesterday I had three pieces of toast w/some tahini dressing on it at the end of the day. Otherwise stayed inside McDougall guidelines.

wasn't hungry for brekkie yesterday or this morning. Maybe I'll be a two meal a day person.

except, that toast last night...was that a meal? :lol:

maybe i need to count calories, just to remind myself that I am trying to be disciplined.

I actually feel good, overall. It is SO WONDERFUL to have energy and joy, a huge change from the darkness of Advent and Christmas. I was physically and emotionally wiped out through all of December, but pretty much on the first day of the year, it changed. Physical ailments MUCH LESS (except my shoulder) and depression lifted completely. :)

Dunno what that means for my eating habits, except lookit me today, walking around tightening my abs all day long. Made me feel skinny and THAT made me strong to stay away from munchies and nibbles. :nod:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:13 pm

Wow, it's been more than a week! Which just means I don't have internet at my house, and don't have time (nor permission, really) to be online for personal reasons, at work.

I fasted on Friday, which seems to have turned on my hungry/full sensors, so I'm stopping as soon as I feel full. This is good. I mean, it's really, REALLY good to sit here, and feel my stomach feeling full, when I know I've eaten. It wasn't that way before. I've been over eating, munching on a full stomach and pretty much knowing mentally that I'm not hungry but still eating, until I broke my fast. I felt full, and I stopped eating. Didn't munch or nibble, and didn't eat again until I felt hungry. I wonder if I reset something?

Eating very well. At least 95% on target.

People at church are beginning to know that I'm vegetarian, and asking questions. This is cool, because I haven't ever "preached the gospel" about this way of eating, and I'm rather introverted so it isn't something that everyone knows, but I've had two good discussions with people about the facts of protein (Yes, spinach has protein. No, you don't NEED to eat meat or eggs to "get your protein". Yes! more than 20% of calories as protein is NOT good for you!) These are things other people are saying, so there is word out there :nod:

One week from today, I get on a plane and head for Florida, for a week-long monastic retreat yayayaaay! I'm so excited! I am confident that God has something for me there, and I'm looking forward to seven days OFF. Silence, contemplation, prayer, reading...and da beach! woot!

Besides my Bible, I'm taking a book by Henri Nouwen (a contemplative in the Catholic church) a book by Douglas Wilson and Douglas Jones (two pastors in the reformed tradition whose specialty is Christian impact on culture) a book by Jean Vanier, writing about L'arche (a monastic community peopled by mentally disabled people and their helpers) and a book by Watchman Nee (a Chinese pastor who pioneered the Home Church movement in that land) ...oooh, this is gonna be GOOD!

The retreat center knows I am vegetarian, eating no animal protein, though I expect it will probably be higher than 10% fat. I will be on the lookout for that.

Six days at work, and Sunday at 1:50 pm, I'll be getting on the plane! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Anna Green » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:56 pm

Hey buns! I know Henry Nouwen. Haven't heard that name for a while. I am a UU now but grew up Catholic and studied at Loyola's Institute for Ministry. Anyway, I appreciate your excitement about getting away for retreat. I hope it is wonderful for you.

Also, sounds good, the eating till satisfied thing. Good work!
Anna Green

Postby toadfood » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:19 am

That retreat sounds wonderful!

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:55 am

I'm back from retreat. Was gone from Jan 29 until Feb 4 a full week. It was a WONDERFUL, peaceful, prayer-filled time of contemplation, exploration, conversation, education, breathing! and slowing down and I loved it. I'm still soaking up, and have found new grace within myself for my own self and for others. Amen!

I ate pretty "feasty" for six days, but i did have a luscious large green salad twice every day, with lunch and dinner. They served a vegetarian option for every meal, too, but not low fat. And I did have the "Orange Ginger Asian" salad dressing on my salads...with sesame oil...

I did not gain any weight, which surprised me. And now I'm back to simple, low fat, McDougall foods, and have dropped a pound :)

Yesterday I munch a few butter toffee almonds...one of my all-time favorite treats that are at Winco...and I could totally taste this artificial flavoring. Blch. Ended up not having any THANK YOU VEDDY MUCH...

Just gonna keep on going
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals