My "it's about time" Food Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: My "it's about time" Food Journal

Postby blue.eyed.mary » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:27 pm

Good idea. It was so odd for carrots to do that. I am the same way with corn and soy. My Biology teacher said a huge amount of our corn is Genetically Modified now....that would explain it.

I just called my local food coop and they have the Spring Rolls! Awesome.
Thanks for the recipe. Sounds so easy. It was always an ordeal to make eggrolls. But I love the whole feel of it, like a burrito...which I cant have because of the white flour...corn tortillas are the same. :crybaby:

It's snowing here! Take care,
Mary
blue.eyed.mary

Postby Pacificfords » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:41 pm

blue.eyed.mary wrote:Good idea. It was so odd for carrots to do that. I am the same way with corn and soy. My Biology teacher said a huge amount of our corn is Genetically Modified now....that would explain it.

I just called my local food coop and they have the Spring Rolls! Awesome.
Thanks for the recipe. Sounds so easy. It was always an ordeal to make eggrolls. But I love the whole feel of it, like a burrito...which I cant have because of the white flour...corn tortillas are the same. :crybaby:

It's snowing here! Take care,
Mary

If I am not mistaken ALL corn is genetically modified unless organic. I don't buy anything anymore that isn't organic and my food bill is still half of what it would be if I was eating SAD. :)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
http://healthyandknowit2012.blogspot.com/
Pacificfords

Postby blue.eyed.mary » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:59 pm

I just found out about GMOs. Our country needs labeling like Europe. That is amazing about your food bill being halved. I too and eating organic when I can...both grocery stores carry an organic section and our food coop has nothing but organic and local.

Prepared food is very expensive, even at Costco.
Mary
blue.eyed.mary

Postby Pacificfords » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:36 am

Today's Plan

Breakfast: Grapefruit & Hot Tea

Lunch: A huge salad with garbanzo beans (lettuce, radishes, carrots, celery, cucumber)

Dinner: Split Pea & Potato Soup with yellow split peas

*end of day edit*

Perfect day. Stayed on plan all day. Except I had a pear instead of a grapefruit and added a few baked chips with the soup. I found it so bland. My husband wouldn't even eat it. Not sure how to fix that. I ate it and my son ate it, but it wasn't the most popular. We all agreed that it needed salt. Have to work through that. ;)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby Katydid » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:00 am

Debi,
When I am making a 'bland' soup like split pea, I make sure to add plenty of sautéed onion, celery, and garlic to the soup base, then finish it off with a couple of splashes of tabasco sauce. It's the surprise that makes your taste buds go - Whoa.
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby Pacificfords » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:45 am

Katydid wrote:Debi,
When I am making a 'bland' soup like split pea, I make sure to add plenty of sautéed onion, celery, and garlic to the soup base, then finish it off with a couple of splashes of tabasco sauce. It's the surprise that makes your taste buds go - Whoa.
Kate

I actually did add some tabasco and it was good. :) I will try adding some celery and more garlic and onion. Thanks.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby Pacificfords » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:46 am

Today's Plan

Breakfast - grapefruit (not hungry at all)

Lunch - Salad

Dinner - Pizza (gluten free crust with veggies and non fat pizza sauce)

*end of day edit*

Had beans and rice for lunch with some baked corn chips... otherwise stayed on plan. :)
Last edited by Pacificfords on Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby blue.eyed.mary » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:01 am

I'm getting ready to have my breakfast: Left-over split pea soup over brown rice. :unibrow: So, I thought about your post.

I cook my split peas until they make this really thick soup. Like Katydid I add celery and carrots and lots of onion. As spice I always add curry. You can get it hot, which is what I like. It's got a kick.

Then I will ladle this over cooked potatoes or rice. It's the curry, like your Tabasco, that makes this bland soup pop. O ya, I also added a bit of Balsamic Vinegar to a bowlful and it adds even more flavor.

I like your food ideas.
Mary
blue.eyed.mary

Postby Pacificfords » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:22 pm

Today's Plan

Breakfast: A banana

Lunch: roasted potatoes, steamed broccoli, sliced cucumbers (fat free bbq sauce for the potatoes)

Dinner: Oven Baked Tamale Pie (corn tortillas, refried beans, corn, tomatoes, salsa, black olives - layered and baked)

*end of day edit*

A perfect day! Stayed on my plan with no variations.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby Pacificfords » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:35 am

Today's Plan

Breakfast: Grapefruit & Oat Bran

Lunch: A huge salad with nonfat dressing

Dinner: Shepherd's (vegetable) Pie
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby pixie » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:19 am

Pacificfords wrote:Today's Plan

You're menus make my mouth water. I've been trying to get in the groove and it's working. But now I need to explore more foods. Thanks for giving me things to think about.
pixie

Postby Pacificfords » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:21 am

pixie wrote:

You're menus make my mouth water. I've been trying to get in the groove and it's working. But now I need to explore more foods. Thanks for giving me things to think about.

Oh wow... thank you. I always think my menus are so boring and I am trying to look for ways to get more creative with spices and such. So far, boring seems to work for me. I am glad you are "getting in the grove" Pixie. :) It isn't always easy, but it sure is worth it. ;)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby Pacificfords » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:34 am

*end of day edit*

Totally went with a different plan. Grapefruit for breakfast. Garbanzo mix on lettuce for lunch (garbanzo beans, dill pickle relish, mustard, celery). Dinner was a stir fry of broccoli, cauliflower, radishes, carrots, mushrooms and onions over rice with a terriyaki sauce (tamari, lime, honey, garlic, cornstarch) It was all really good. I also had a bite... one bite of soy ice cream. I could have eaten more, but I gave it all to the boys. :) It was SUPER sweet.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby Pacificfords » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:35 am

Today's Plan

Breakfast - Grapefruit

Lunch - a big salad with garbanzo mix on it

Dinner - Shepherd's Pie I was going to make yesterday :)

*end of day edit*

Hmmm... changed the day as I went. I had a big bowl of rice with leftover terriyaki vegetables for breakfast. Then I made my son "french fries" for lunch (baked). He was thrilled and said they tasted better than McDonalds. :D I had a few of those and my garbanzo salad. I made corn potato chowder for dinner. It was just boring. I probably won't make it again. I find that my family is not interested in bland at all. I enjoyed it, they didn't. I also made a dozen of the vegan peanut butter cookies because they begged me. ;) I had a couple, but they didn't taste as good to me as they did the first couple times I made them. Now I can take them or leave so I will leave them. ;)
Last edited by Pacificfords on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby heavenstomurgie » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:29 am

This was the first time I had read your blog.. I love it! It was so fun reading of the different ideas and recipes. I have been afraid to venture out with this new WOE, and now I have some great ideas! Looking forward to your future posts!

Amber
heavenstomurgie

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals