My "it's about time" Food Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: My "it's about time" Food Journal

Postby Pacificfords » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:19 pm

michaelswarm wrote:Pacificfords,

Looks like cooking rhythm. Meals sound good.

Potato Corn Chowder sounds interesting, do you have that recipe too? Something to make tomorrow...

Various wraps are a favorite of mine. I like to make wraps with any combination of rice, beans, salsa and salad. The rice, beans, salsa and salad all change. (Tonight: lavash wrap with tomato rice, chickpeas (can), home made salsa and cole slaw.)

I really love my wraps too! :) The Potato Corn Chowder is honestly rather boring. I usually just saute some onions in a little vegetable broth and then add potatoes and just enough rice milk to cover the potatoes. Add some corn and whatever seasonings you like. Super simple. Sometimes I thicken it with a little cornstarch and other times I don't. We actually tend to like it less thick and more spicy. :)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
http://healthyandknowit2012.blogspot.com/
Pacificfords

Postby Pacificfords » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:16 am

Today's Plan

Breakfast: Oat Bran & Banana

Lunch and Dinner - I have no plan. I am spending the day with my sister so we can do menu planning and find great recipes. She has been eating this way for a long time and is the one that kept encouraging me to stay on track, so I know we will eat healthy and plant strong. :) Looking forward to the day. She always makes great food. She is an extraordinary cook.

*end of day edit*

Lunch ended up being a huge fresh salad and brown rice with salsa.

Dinner: Sweet Potato & Black Bean Enchilada Pie, Salad & White Rice
Last edited by Pacificfords on Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby michaelswarm » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:38 pm

Pacificfords wrote:The Potato Corn Chowder is honestly rather boring. I usually just saute some onions in a little vegetable broth and then add potatoes and just enough rice milk to cover the potatoes. Add some corn and whatever seasonings you like. Super simple. Sometimes I thicken it with a little cornstarch and other times I don't. We actually tend to like it less thick and more spicy.

Make Corn Potato Soup for lunch. Thanks for the idea. Corn pairs so well with potato. I sauteed onion and green bell pepper. Spiced with garlic, bay, pepper and salt. Finish with touch of lemon. Had a can of corn for a long time. Gone.

Started gardening and forgot about soup; was more stew, but very yummy!
michaelswarm

Postby Pacificfords » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:48 am

michaelswarm wrote:
Pacificfords wrote:The Potato Corn Chowder is honestly rather boring. I usually just saute some onions in a little vegetable broth and then add potatoes and just enough rice milk to cover the potatoes. Add some corn and whatever seasonings you like. Super simple. Sometimes I thicken it with a little cornstarch and other times I don't. We actually tend to like it less thick and more spicy.

Make Corn Potato Soup for lunch. Thanks for the idea. Corn pairs so well with potato. I sauteed onion and green bell pepper. Spiced with garlic, bay, pepper and salt. Finish with touch of lemon. Had a can of corn for a long time. Gone.

Started gardening and forgot about soup; was more stew, but very yummy!

That combination of spices sounds yummy. I will have to try that. :)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby Pacificfords » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:50 am

Today's Plan

Breakfast: Oatmeal & Applesauce (hated the oatmeal, going back to oat bran tomorrow)

Lunch: Lots of raw veggies on a bed of lettuce, white rice & salsa

Dinner: Spring Rolls w/ peanut sauce (I will omit the sauce, high in fat)

*end of day edit*

Today went a bit off plan. (not the food, just the menu) We ended up eating lunch out. I stuck to veggie sushi and a bowl of plain white rice with some broccoli. I wasn't really hungry for dinner so I didn't eat. We just had one of those busy days that I wasn't expecting and we didn't get home in time for lunch so we had to improvise with a late lunch out. A pretty good day, but I felt kind of off because of the eating out. I had planned not to eat out at all in January. It was more of a mental failure to me than anything, but in reality - it wasn't really a failure at all. I really need to work on my perfectionist nature and not try to be so intense about things all the time. ;)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby Pacificfords » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:46 am

Today's Plan

Breakfast: Oat Bran & Grapefruit

Lunch: Vegetable Soup & Rice

Dinner: Vegetable Spring Rolls in Rice Wrappers (with no added oil peanut sauce for dipping)

*end of day edit*

perfectly perfect day... I had a few veggie straws that usually are for my son's lunch, but otherwise I stuck totally to my plan. I have to admit the veggie straws were good, but I won't buy them again. I found some corn chips I absolutely hate...lol. The boys love them so that will be our new thing. :nod: I just want to keep my weight loss steady. So far, so good.
Last edited by Pacificfords on Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby carollynne » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:35 am

you are so lucky with a sister on this WOE too.
I never had any corn chowder... will have to try it soonest tho!
Good luck and happy wkend to you!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby Pacificfords » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:08 pm

carollynne wrote:you are so lucky with a sister on this WOE too.
I never had any corn chowder... will have to try it soonest tho!
Good luck and happy wkend to you!

I feel incredibly lucky. :) My sister has never given up on me and now that we are going down the same path, we are closer than ever before. I have an awareness of things I didn't understand before. Enjoy the corn chowder! :)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby Pacificfords » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:00 am

Today's Plan:

Breakfast: Oat Bran & Grapefruit

Lunch: A green salad with lots of raw veggies and garbanzo beans

Dinner: Corn/Potato Chowder

*end of day edit*

Today was interesting. I watched a video about the pleasure trap and it changed my way of eating today. I listened to my body. I ate when I was hungry and I ate vegetables first. I stopped eating when I felt satisfied. I ended up eating much less than I normally would. I had a grapefruit for breakfast, a big salad for lunch (no beans) and a bowl of corn chowder for dinner with a huge piece of cauliflower. I felt satisfied and much better than loading on grains first and vegetables second. I didn't even really feel the need to eat as many grains today. I know there will be days when I will be more hungry, but it worked good.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby Pacificfords » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:06 am

Today's Plan:

Breakfast: Grapefruit & rice cereal

Lunch: Green Salad with no oil dressing & an apple

Dinner: Chili over rice

*end of day edit*

I had a grapefruit for breakfast - no cereal. I just don't seem to be that hungry at breakfast.

Lunch was on plan except that I added about a tablespoon of sunflower seeds to my salad and did not have an apple.

I did get hungry mid afternoon and had a rice cake with a very small layer of peanut butter and cranberry jelly.

Then dinner was good and on plan except that I added a bit of soy sauce to the chili because it was so bland. That damn salt craving.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby Pacificfords » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:24 am

Today's Plan

Breakfast - fresh apple carrot juice (visiting my juicing sister) :)

Lunch - Salad w/ lots of fresh veggies and a few beans / salsa

Dinner - Roasted potatoes, salad

*end of day edit*

Totally different day than planned.

Breakfast: Grapefruit

Lunch: Corn Chips, Hummus, Beans, carrots

Dinner: Soup (rice, baby corn, green beans, onions) & granola bar

Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby Pacificfords » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:53 am

Today's Plan

Breakfast: hot tea & apple

Lunch: leftover chili over rice

Dinner: salad with lots of veggies

*end of day edit*

Wow... today was a total deviation from the plan. It was just a really busy day and my husband was home for part of it, so that always makes a difference. I had hot tea in the morning. I was out of grapefruit so I just didn't eat anything. I wasn't hungry. I am not usually very hungry until about 10 am. Lunch - we were out and about and didn't want to eat out so we grabbed out of the groceries - baked chips and hummus. We had a late lunch at home of potatoes and beans. I skipped dinner because lunch was so late. I wasn't hungry. Crazy day. I will probably have a grapefruit later for a snack. :)
Last edited by Pacificfords on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby blue.eyed.mary » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:25 am

Hi Debi, reading your food journal. It is sparce compared to the good ol' American diet. That is the funny thing I have found about eating good ol' healthy McDougal...I dont eat copious amounts of food, becaue I am not starving. I am more satisfied than ever before.

I do munch on carrots and things in between my meals. Sometimes, after eating a carrot though, my stomach feels bad... like acidy...something like hunger pains, but not. :? What is that?

Vegetable Spring Rolls in Rice Wrappers (with no added oil peanut sauce for dipping)
Debi, one of my favorite foods was egg rolls. I have had Spring Rolls before, ...do you make your own? Do you have a recipe?

Mary
blue.eyed.mary

Postby Pacificfords » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:56 pm

blue.eyed.mary wrote:Hi Debi, reading your food journal. It is sparce compared to the good ol' American diet. That is the funny thing I have found about eating good ol' healthy McDougal...I dont eat copious amounts of food, becaue I am not starving. I am more satisfied than ever before.

I do munch on carrots and things in between my meals. Sometimes, after eating a carrot though, my stomach feels bad... like acidy...something like hunger pains, but not. :? What is that?

Vegetable Spring Rolls in Rice Wrappers (with no added oil peanut sauce for dipping)
Debi, one of my favorite foods was egg rolls. I have had Spring Rolls before, ...do you make your own? Do you have a recipe?

Mary

Hey Mary,

I don't know about the carrots, but I would listen to your stomach. If it feels bad take a break from it. Then try it again. If it still feels bad eliminate it. I have found the same thing with corn, oddly.

The spring rolls: Oh gosh they are good. I just make it up each time I do it. I use the rice papers (sometimes hard to find). They are round like a tortilla and you soak them in water one at a time for a minute or so while you are making the spring rolls. I fill them with cucumbers, grated carrots, rice noodles, lettuce or cabbage, fresh cilantro and basil. You could fill them with lots of different veggies. So good. The peanut sauce is not fat free. No oil, but peanut butter. It doesn't take much though. One little bit packs a flavorful punch. So, then you just wrap the veggies in a rice wrapper like a spring roll and dip. Pretty delicious. I try not to make it too often because of the peanut butter, but we end up having it every couple of weeks. ;)

The peanut sauce:

Ingredients
4 tbsp tamari
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp white vinegar
1/8 tsp garlic
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp Asian chili sauce
2 med garlic, minced

Directions
Heat. Then simmer until smooth.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby nicoles » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:15 pm

Pacificfords wrote:
blue.eyed.mary wrote:Hi Debi, reading your food journal. It is sparce compared to the good ol' American diet. That is the funny thing I have found about eating good ol' healthy McDougal...I dont eat copious amounts of food, becaue I am not starving. I am more satisfied than ever before.

Mary

Hey Mary,

I don't know about the carrots, but I would listen to your stomach. If it feels bad take a break from it. Then try it again. If it still feels bad eliminate it. I have found the same thing with corn, oddly.

Sorry to jump in, but I just wanted to mention - I have a reaction to carrots. I get a tummy ache after eating them, and I get a burning/itching sensation in my mouth and throat. It is a relatively rare, but documented food to cause a reaction, as is corn.

And now back to Debi's regularly scheduled and admirable journal! :-D
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals