KittyKat 2012

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

KittyKat 2012

Postby kitty_kat » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:31 am

Well it's a new year, and I am ready to put my health first. Many things have changed since the last time I tried to McDougall. Some really big things that were causing me a lot of stress my husband and I have worked hard to get out of (debt, yay feels so good to be free). Now it feels like the next big thing to focus on is health.

This time my wonderful husband is gonna help me succeed by doing it himself. He is welcome to eat whatever he wants when he is not around me, but he says he will eat what I eat at home. This is amazing!

Not only that, but we have come up together with a plan for the next 4 weeks to eat very simple foods to help my taste buds recover so I can enjoy simple healthy foods.

Right now I am addicted to sugar. The next few weeks are probably going to be no pick-nick. Especially as my work schedule is going to be very hard and stressful for the next couple of weeks. But when is there ever a truly good time(my smart husband said)? We could find excuses on why not to start something till the cows come home, but it leads us no closer to being ready.

Honestly I do not know what I weigh. I know it is over 200, and if I look at it I will feel too discouraged. So I am not gonna focus on that for the first month or two while I just focus on changing how I eat.

Some of the problems I hope to help reduce or cure are:
*Pain levels: after work I can barely walk, and if my husband weren't giving me massages almost every night, I do not think I could work my retail job. The level of pain I experience right now is very high, some mornings I can barely walk down the stairs. :(
*Weight: this will also help my pain levels, but also my confidence. I remember being thin in my teens from working out and I did feel good about my body, I want to experience that appreciation again.
*Stomach aches: I feel nausea a lot, and have for a long while. It seems to come out of no where, and I really think it is food related.
*Cholesterol: it has been a while since I had a reading, but it was quite high and I am only 26
*Get a life: food seems to be the only entertainment or "nice" thing I do for myself. I can no longer buy clothes, so I buy food, I feel guilty spending money on fun, so I buy food. My husband and I are actually gonna focus on having fun without food now, and any money we can save in our food budget from eating cheaper will also go to yet more fun!

Anyways I am sure the next few weeks are gonna be full of highs and lows. I wish everyone a happy new year. May it be full of love, health, and fun!
kitty_kat

Jan 1st

Postby kitty_kat » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:52 pm

Today went alright. I have a cold though and was very tired at work.

Food:
B: Blueberry oatmeal with brown sugar
S: apple, and some rice
S: fruit salad
L: rice and bean soup
D: 4 corn tortillas and re-fried beans
kitty_kat

Re: KittyKat 2012

Postby kitty_kat » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:41 am

Well my cold is still here, hopefully it goes away soon.

Food:
B: raspberry oatmeal with brown sugar (so good I am gonna make this again and again and again :lol: )
S: fruit salad
L: bean soup (the bean soup we make has lots of potatoes) and rice
S: banana oatmeal and brown sugar (after I woke up from a long nap from coming home sick)
S: homemade hot chocolate (I don't have the wonder-slim cocoa, but it really wasn't too much just to have a cup)
D: Potato soup, and some cantaloupe

Have a nice day everyone :D
Last edited by kitty_kat on Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
kitty_kat

Postby BeansNRice » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:06 pm

Hi kitty, sounds like you have a great plan, and isn't it nice when dh's jump on board? My dh eats whatever I make to, plus a bit of meat sometimes. Can't complain :)

Your doing great!

Actual Restart date: June 22, 2013
BeansNRice

Postby Debbie » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:39 pm

How nice to get out of debt!!! Feels good huh?

Keep up the good work. And thanks for visiting and commenting in my journal. :cool:
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby kitty_kat » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:43 pm

Thanks for responding ladies!

Today I actually came home sick and it was very hard not to have junk food comforts, your support helped me, thank you :)
kitty_kat

Postby michaelswarm » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:25 pm

KittyKat,

Hi and happy new year.
Nice to have supportive husband.

When I want sweet I go for an apple. (Also keep handy for cooking; 1/4 or 1/2 apple sweetens dull canned tomatoes--if I remember to taste the tomatoes before adding to soup.) When I feel like snack I make microwave potato chips, which I learned about on the board here.
michaelswarm

Postby kitty_kat » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:26 am

Hmm something possibly a little interesting. I have a cold, but today I woke up 15 minutes before my alarm. I don't even feel tired, like actually awake, which is pretty impressive I think because I still have the cold :P

Anyways have a nice day everyone, time for some oatmeal.
kitty_kat

Postby Keri » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:20 pm

Good luck, KittyKat!

I can relate to the sugar issue. Last year, I pretty much eliminated it (I do eat fruit though) and felt better physically and mentally. My rule is that I can have one sweet treat on bank holidays and my birthday, as long as it's vegan. I did feel like towards the end of 2011, during the holidays, I was cheating a bit more with sugar, and I'm currently trying to get back on track. It's hard at first, but it gets much easier and I feel so much better.
Keri

Postby kitty_kat » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:35 pm

Well today, like the past couple of days, I was having a hard time. I feel like at work I am hungry all day. Right now work is kinda physical, and I realized today (after being cranky as heck when I got home, poor hubby) that even though we're not supposed to count calories on this, there is no way I was getting enough :lol: .

I am finding it very hard with what little recipes I know to have enough food for work to feel satisfied. Tomorrow I am gonna be working for 10-12 hours, then sleeping and coming in right away the next day for another who knows how many. So tonight I am making banana bread with some nuts. My hope is it will help me through my tough work time. I am not someone who really likes nuts (ya I'm weird) so it's really just to use to make it higher calorie.

I can hardly believe I am now trying to get enough food to eat :eek:
It probably is because I am a grazer and can't eat a ton of food in a sitting.

Anyways today's food was:
B: raspberry oatmeal with brown sugar
S: 2 banana's
L: leftover potato soup, and a little bit of pineapple
S: 1 more banana (ya banana's were almost all I had for snacks today, lol)
D: 3 corn tortillas with my homemade re-fried beans, salsa, and lettuce
S: 2 banana pancakes with maple syrup

So what do you all take to work to make sure you eat enough?
kitty_kat

Postby Keri » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:04 pm

I always take dinner leftovers to work. I freeze the extra portions and take them out, as needed. I also bring a large salad and one or two fruits (usually just one lately.)
Keri

Postby kitty_kat » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:35 am

I feel bad saying this but today I went off plan. I didn't go off vegan but today was a crazy day at work (inventory, and then shutting and packing the store up). I have about 5 maybe 6 hours of sleep possible ahead, and then it's back to work.... bahhh...

Food:
B: oatmeal
L: thai food (pad thai, veggies)
S: fig newtons (not over in fat %, but had oil listen in ingredients)
S: passion fruit bubble tea

Exercise:
*lots at work :lol:
kitty_kat

Postby kitty_kat » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:59 pm

Hey, my apologies for not being around and posting in my journal, but other people's as well. The past few days were just crazy. Moving a whole store out of a location is a nightmare, and to be honest I totally fell off plan while doing it.

Right now I have had a headache for two day from my neck being so stiff after all the heavy lifting.

Anyways I have three days off in which I plan to get back on plan McDougalling :) Tonight my DH and I are making spaghetti, yum!

Hope everyone is doing better than I did :lol:
kitty_kat

Postby rebecca » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:59 am

Hey KittyKat,
How are you doing? Here is what I do to stay on track while at work. I cook 1 cup of oatmeal w/ 2 cups of water. I eat 1/2 before I go to work and then eat the other 1/2 @ 10 a.m. I always carry potatoes with me. These are great to eat cold w/ spicy brown mustard. For lunch it is a big salad @ 2 cups and a bean and veggie soup or brown rice bean and veggies. The other day I took a can of stewed tomatoes and mixed them w/ green beans and I was happy to eat this cold when I got hungry. I say when you are hungry try to eat. Your body will get use to this but it will take some time.
Hope this helps,
Rebecca
rebecca

Postby kitty_kat » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:22 am

Thanks Rebecca, that sounds yummy! The new store I am going to I believe has a microwave. I am actually considering buying a bag of potatoes just to leave in the backroom :lol: .

Anyways while I have totally enjoyed my last two days off, I was not McDougalling. However I am getting back on the horse today, planning meals for the work week ahead, and feeling motivated again.

Every time before when I fall off I just let myself totally fall off because I feel bad for not being perfect. Not anymore! I will just keep coming back, and back, and back, until I get this. I want to live a long life with my wonderful husband, and travel to see many amazing places.

Food:
B: oatmeal with 3 tsp brown sugar (a little much sugar, would like to cut that down a bit)
S: probably gonna be fruit
kitty_kat

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning