Keri's Journal

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Keri's Journal

Postby Keri » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:08 am

Hello,

My name is Keri. I'm a female in my (very) late thirties whose goal is to lose about 30 more pounds (I’ve lost a total of 39 since my highest weight of 196 pounds in late 2010.)

I was an unhealthy vegetarian for a long time (a cheesetarian, if you will), and became vegan in January of 2011. From January to May of 2011, I read the information on this website and followed the boards (although I never posted). My username was DorsVenabili (a sci-fi character), but I wanted to change it to an actual name and couldn’t do that without creating a new account. I also read many of the plant-based diet books and appreciate all of them: Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease (Esselstyn), Breaking the Food Seduction (Barnard), the Fuhrman books, and others.

When I lost the weight earlier this year, I guess I was doing sort of a Fuhrman-ish thing, then I trained for and completed a half marathon in August and sort of went more towards a pretty-much-healthy-vegan-but-with-some-added-oils thing. Since then, I haven’t gained any weight, but I haven’t lost the last 30 pounds either. Also, since the holidays, I feel like I’m creeping into a bit of a danger zone – more sweets, more Tofurkey, more beers on the weekend, etc. So I want to get back on track and I’ve chosen to try the McDougall route.

My reasons for trying the no-added-oil type of diet are primarily health-related. There is a history of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, and strokes in my family, and I want to do what I can to prevent health problems in the future. When I ate meat (a long time ago), my cholesterol tended to be around 275. After switching to a vegetarian diet it went down to 235, and the last time I checked it, after becoming vegan (this past July), it was 219 (I have the complete breakdown at home and will post it later.) I would still like to get it a lot lower, so hopefully getting rid of the oil will help. Also, before I went vegan, my blood pressure was creeping up. It was around 140/95. Now it’s consistently normal, so that’s good.

Another reason for choosing the McDougall route is because my husband also needs to lose weight and it’s much easier to get him to do this than the Fuhrman thing (a big potato-y thing vs. a gigantic bowl of raw vegetables at every meal). While he’s not a vegan, he’s very supportive and eats whatever I cook (as long as it’s not polenta – I have to eat that when he’s not around. Darn.) We used to share cooking duties, but last year, I declared myself the food boss, and took over all of the cooking. He’s doing well. He does eat meat sometimes when we go out, or at relatives’ homes, but, for the most part, he eats like me. I also got him to watch Forks Over Knives and the Dr. Barnard PBS special, so he does have some of the background info.

Anyway, that’s about it. I don’t have the most exciting or dramatic story, but I do want to get rid of these last 30 pounds, lower my cholesterol, and improve my health. I’ll try to post a few times a week and log what I’ve been eating. I think it helps.

I should also add that while reading the posts on this forum, I am very impressed with the helpful, knowledgeable, and good-natured people that post here. Plus, your stories are so inspiring!
Keri

Re: Keri's Journal

Postby f1jim » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:20 am

I'd say welcome but since you have already been with us for a year that's probably not necessary. Sounds like you know your way around the material too. Good luck on losing those last 30 lbs and we will be watching your progress.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Keri » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:48 am

Thank you for the welcome! Is it creepy to be a lurker for that long (actually, I've been away since the summer - it was mostly earlier in the year)? :-D At least I admit it, right?
Keri

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:20 am

Keri wrote:Thank you for the welcome! Is it creepy to be a lurker for that long (actually, I've been away since the summer - it was mostly earlier in the year)? :-D At least I admit it, right?

Hi Keri. Welcome into the light. I lurked for 3 years before I ever registered and posted anything. I guess that means I'm at least 3 times, if not 6 times, as creepy in lurking as you were. :unibrow: :lol: I think there are a lot of lurkers.

Again, welcome. Splash around. The water's fine.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Keri » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:33 pm

Thank you, Agnes! I feel better now. :D

I think I'll start posting my food on Monday. I don't anticipate eating horribly this weekend (I have McDougall recipes planned, actually), even though we're hosting a few couples for New Year's Eve, but Monday just seems like a better starting point.

As of yesterday, I'm at 157 lbs and I'm 5'6''. I plan to weigh in on Thursdays.

I truly hate calorie-counting and I know it's not required on this program. However, I started using the Cron-o-Meter to track my food and exercise, so I can see what works and what doesn't.

I hope everyone has a Happy New Year!
Keri

Postby kirstykay » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:40 pm

Welcome, Keri! Glad you're here! I look forward to following your journal, getting to know you around here, and seeing you reach your goals! Have a Happy New Year!!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby michaelswarm » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:52 pm

Keri,

Big welcome. We also eased into McDougall, the more we learned.
Glad you have a supportive husband, and no severe health issues. You're lucky, this way of eating can reverse weight and cholesterol.
michaelswarm

Postby Keri » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:59 am

Thanks for the welcome, kirstykay and michaelswarm!

I do realize how lucky I am to have a supportive spouse. I know this is not the case for everyone.
Keri

Postby Keri » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:41 pm

The weekend wasn't great, but it wasn't completely horrible. On Saturday, we had friend's over for New Year's Eve and I made chili (vegan, but not oil-free.) Another friend brought vegan cornbread, there were chips and guacamole, hummus and pita, and beer.

Sunday involved eating leftovers from Saturday. So while the food was vegan, it wasn't all McDougall-compliant. I had anticipated that, though.

Anyway, today is sort of my official McDougall start date. Here's what I ate, with some additional notes at the bottom:

Breakfast:
* Coffee (two cups), with soy milk
* Steel cut oatmeal, mixed with one mashed banana

Lunch:
* Leftover Louisiana Red Beans and Rice (McDougall Newsletter: http://www.nealhendrickson.com/McDougal ... ecipes.htm) - This was pretty good. I'm not the biggest fan of cajun-type spice combinations, so that's probably what kept me from enjoying it more.
* One piece of leftover cornbread (vegan, but not oil-free, leftover from New Year's Eve party)

Snack:
* One piece of whole wheat pita
* Hummus (not oil free and also leftover from New Year's Eve party) - I usually make oil-free hummus, but we had the leftover store-bought kind

Dinner:
*Potato enchiladas (McDougall Newsletter: http://www.nealhendrickson.com/McDougal ... ecipes.htm) - Very good. I used one of the McDougall enchilada sauce recipes for the sauce.
*Salad (romaine, spinach, and carrots) with dried mint and salad vinegar

Snack:
*grapefruit

Notes: I haven't given up coffee completely, and probably won't. I usually only have one cup in the morning, but since I was off today, I had two. Throughout the day, and with meals, I drink water or seltzer water.

Exercise: Twenty minutes on the elliptical machine. It was a high intensity program (cardio challenge.) I'm experimenting with the short duration/high intensity workouts. I also have to start running more regularly again. After the half marathon, it has tapered off.

I should also mention that in addition to working full-time, I'm going to grad school (I take two courses at a time and will finish in December.) That's no excuse to taper off exercising, but that's what has happened this past semester, due to being busy with school. I'm currently on my winter break, and will return to school on the 11th of January.
Keri

Postby michaelswarm » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:57 pm

Keri,

Sounds like good start. Don't beat yourself up.

Lots of other ways to do rice and beans than that McDougall Newsletter. Just about everywhere both rice and beans are found has a traditional rice and beans dish.

Off and on coffee (black) myself. Though cholesterol was 10% lower without. Dr. McDougall does note coffee raises cholesterol somewhere.
michaelswarm

Postby Keri » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:16 am

Thanks for the support, michaelswarm! I was not aware of the connection between coffee and cholesterol (or maybe I was and conveniently blocked it out of my memory.) I'll check that out.

Yes - I do love beans and rice! My favorite is with Yumm sauce, but I have to figure out how to make it without oil. It shouldn't be too difficult. That can be a project for next week, I suppose.
Keri

Postby kitty_kat » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:22 am

Hey Keri! I hope you are enjoying yourself, and I look forward to reading your journal!
kitty_kat

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:30 am

Keri wrote:Thanks for the support, michaelswarm! I was not aware of the connection between coffee and cholesterol (or maybe I was and conveniently blocked it out of my memory.) I'll check that out.

Yes - I do love beans and rice! My favorite is with Yumm sauce, but I have to figure out how to make it without oil. It shouldn't be too difficult. That can be a project for next week, I suppose.

Hi Keri.
I've never had Yumm sauce, but I remembered seeing that you can make it without the oil. This site suggests you substitute nut milk or soy milk for the oil. http://www.plant-powered.com/recipes/carols-happy-bowl/

I may have to try it someday. I'd probably just leave out the ascorbic acid too.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Keri » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:08 am

Thanks for the tip, Agnes!

Here is the recipe I always use:
http://www.food.com/recipe/yummy-sauce-297251.

It doesn't have asorbic acid. I will try it next week with soy or almond milk, instead of the oil and let you know how it tastes. I'm sure it will be good. I usually make it with brown rice and pinto beans.
Keri

Postby Keri » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:54 pm

Thanks for the welcome, kitty_kat!
Keri

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning