Sorry to say....

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Sorry to say....

Postby f1jim » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:39 pm

Both on the journal pages and also in the lounge we have the holiday blues being sung by many that couldn't see there way to eating healthy through the holidays. I mentioned before Thanksgiving that one of the saddest things to read is the parade of messages here extolling guilt and grief for letting things get out of hand. It is heart wrenching reading story after story of admissions of poor eating, getting sick, and weight gain that ends the year on a sad note for many.
I encourage those that feel they let themselves down to make this the last holiday season of unhealthy holiday splurging. For those that chose in advance to splurge with out of plan eating this message will not be for you. If anyone is happy with the off plan choices they made, more power to you and this won't be of any benefit for you.
For those that are disappointed with themselves and want to break this seemingly endless cycle of dietary disaster around this time of the year it's time to make the changes that will not put yourself in this position.
1st this is not a weight loss diet to be enacted when the scale starts creeping up. It's not a health restoration diet to jump on when you start to feel sluggish and ill. It's not a magic tonic to put everything right after long time periods of self abuse.
This is a LIFESTYLE that when followed can do some amazing things but not when treated as a temporary fix for our current maladies. It must be embraced and woven into our lives to fully reap the benefits it can bestow. Trying to jump on and off the program on a whim will do nothing but frustrate us and make things worse.
If you do see this as a way out of your current state I recommend a couple things that will either drive you away or make this program finally work for you.
1. Make this your way of life. Not only during the week, not only at certain specific meals, not only when company isn't over. Make it the way you choose to eat going forward. Pay no thought to whether that is for 6 months or 60 years. Embrace it not as something you do but as who you are. Do people see this way of eating as something you sporadically follow then just as quickly abandon? When you truly embrace this way of eating the rest can flow from it. Is this a part of your being at home? At parties? On vacations? I can tell you that those that have turned their weight and health around have done this. It doesn't matter where they are, work, play, home or away. It is truly not just the food choices they make but who they are emotionally and intellectually.
2. Make the very hard decision to truly fully embrace this program. Those that have not know full well what I am talking about. The very difficult decision that will bring some ridicule, some condemnation, some alienation. The decision that will forever change your social life. If you have help from a spouse or family that's great but don't count on it. Go in knowing you may only have yourself to rely on. That's okay. It will be the best person to count on when times are tough. It may teach you more about yourself than you ever knew. You may not feel respect when you start but do this long enough and you will earn the respect soon enough.
Make every moment of decision a moment of reflection. Ask yourself if this is something you would eat if you were truly following a particular lifestyle. Would someone following this lifestyle blow back and forth with the prevailing winds or would they be resolute despite whatever was in their surroundings? Do those that have made this a lifestyle have to deal with the guilt or shame of what transpired last night or is this something their decisions remove from them?
The answers are obvious, the path to changing is hard. The rewards are infinite. Do this. Make this year, 2011, be the last one you have to write a message here of sorrow and depression. Make 2012 the year you adopted a new lifestyle. One that defines you, not imprisons you. One that sets you, steadfastly, onthe path toward your goals. Don't let 2012 be yet another year of poor health, excess weight, and month after month of excuses about why you couldn't do it. For many of you it will happen. You can, you will, the year will end with the same you, only so much better off than you imagined. So make your plans. New Years resolutions are a dime a dozen, lifestyles are forever. Choose wisely and be ready to fire off a message to the group at the end of the year about why they should follow the path you are blazing.
I wish you all a happy new year and everything you want in 2012. See you on the other side!
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Re: Sorry to say....

Postby Pacificfords » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:27 pm

Jim ~ Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and words of wisdom. I certainly took them to heart. My holidays were amazing... the best I have experienced to date. It is the first time I can look back with pride in knowing I did my best and have no regrets. I have crossed over into knowing that this will be a way of life, not just a temporary fix as you described. I have spent a majority of my life in that mentality and it clearly didn't work. I am feeling very grateful for the support and encouragement of this website and I am looking forward to a year full of reaching goals. :)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
http://healthyandknowit2012.blogspot.com/
Pacificfords

Postby Rosey » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:48 pm

Definitely no regrets this year. Very great feeling to have it as a lifestyle.
Rosey

Postby Di » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:02 am

Thank you. Very well said.
Di

Postby veggielou » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:41 am

Jim, Thanks for a very nice post. I am one of the ones who really strayed this week. Excuses,excuses but lots of stress. I am not waiting for the new year, Today is the day. I am planning on meeting my goals in 2012. I will be 75 New Years and what a fantastic 75th gift to give myself. Planning ahead. No excuses. No looking back. Thanks for all your work here.
veggielou

Postby Acura » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:40 pm

This year has been the best, didn't feel a need to taste enticing food.
CC
Acura

Postby Katydid » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:39 pm

Chimichanga wrote:This year has been the best, didn't feel a need to taste enticing food.

Same here. I made close to 1000 cookies and candies for gift boxes and didn't so much as taste a single cookie to 'see if it was OK'. Didn't want to spring 'The Pleasure Trap' on my taste buds :twisted: . As a result of MikeT's challenge and careful food logging, I'm down 7.5 pounds so far this holiday season. First year THAT ever happened. For once I'm not starting the new year needing to lose 10 pounds :D .
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby Pacificfords » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:16 pm

Katydid wrote: I made close to 1000 cookies and candies for gift boxes and didn't so much as taste a single cookie to 'see if it was OK'.
Kate

You inspire and amaze me. I didn't even make my goodies this year because I knew I would not have the self control to avoid eating them. :)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
http://healthyandknowit2012.blogspot.com/
Pacificfords

Postby nicoles » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:06 pm

Wonderful, wise and inspirational post, Jim. Thank you! :)

Nicole
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Dissolution » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:19 am

Thanks Jim...
Dissolution

Postby WeeSpeck » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:07 pm

Hi Jim,

Thanks for another insightful passionate post. This is definitely worthy of tacking it to my refrigerator for a daily reminder of why I am on this journey.

Here's to a happy and healthy New Year!
--\--@ Nancy @--/--

I am but a wee speck in the big picture of the universe.
WeeSpeck

Postby carollynne » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:54 pm

you made a lot of good horse sense to me. Thanks for all the wisdom. well said.........
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby LoriJenny » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:19 pm

Thanks for this posting Jim...I think I will print it out!
LoriJenny

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning