Setting my course

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Setting my course

Postby blue.eyed.mary » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:01 pm

Thanks MichaelSwarm for the soup tips. I have always wanted to know how to make a good soup. I dont follow recipes, just dump it all together and hope for the best. I followed your link to your whole food blog and downloaded your Indian Soup pdf recipe book. I appreciate that you write about what you have learned first. How you water saute and the the logic behind it and why people have reverted to oil.

I came home yesterday to a crock pot of cooked brown lentils, potatos, carrots and filtererd water. I added tomato paste and more water. It was really good...grabbed some and headed out the door to pick up my school books and errands. I was so tired and thought ... probabaly the soup has worn off, so I stopped at a "Gourmet chinese quick food" and got a couple of vegetable egg rolls. Ha...did good in the vegan department, but they were deep fried. I had to laugh.

StarchBeet, as I start school tomorrow, I really do need to make time to cut up some raw veggies to take with me.

I am so very tired. I thought it was fleeting and I slept in yesterday. This morning I feel the same way. So, I made myself a cup of coffee. I am glad coffee is not my first thought anymore, as it was something I did not think I could live without. When I quit, I realized it was masking a tiredness to the bone that I didnt know what real.

My chiropractor said my adrenals were depleted and gave me: Drenamin from Standard Process. Ingredients: defatted wheat germ, bovine liver, bovine adrenile, porcine stomach, nutritional yeast, porcine brain, veal bone, bovine brain,...there is more but you get the point. So, I quit taking when I started on McDougal. My girlfriend says sometimes there is no other way to recover from something like this without animal products. I cant believe that.

But man am I tired.
Had a big bowl of oatmeal with raisins and cinamon.

Took a nap and woke up to coffee and a bagel and cream cheese.
:duh: such a doe-doe head.
Mary
blue.eyed.mary

Postby blue.eyed.mary » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:14 pm

My chiropractor said my adrenals were depleted and gave me: Drenamin from Standard Process. Ingredients: defatted wheat germ, bovine liver, bovine adrenile, porcine stomach, nutritional yeast, porcine brain, veal bone, bovine brain,...there is more but you get the point.

Porcine: means pig! As if bovine isnt bad enough, which could be a cow or a buffulo, they added pig to the mix. All in these grainy tablets that deteriorate in a baggie that I carried around into what smelled awful and I am exaggerating, but I think I was ingesting a composted manue. Lordy, lordy...help us.

Mary
blue.eyed.mary

Postby blue.eyed.mary » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:34 pm

It's 7:30pm. Night school starts tomorrow and I am happy that I am now feeling a lot more postitive about the next 3 months work ahead of me.

I know I am not eating enough starches. Will take care of that tomorrow. Also, my water intake is like one glass a day.

I am so glad to be on this road, even if it is bumpy.
I'm going to go play my mandolin and read before I go to bed. A wonderful change from movies.

Life has so many options. I'm glad to be on the right track.
Mary
blue.eyed.mary

Postby michaelswarm » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:09 am

Mary,

Thanks for encouragement. My cooking is a work in progress. Exciting thing about this WOE is it's not limiting my choices, but opening up exploring new worlds of foods.

Today's soup split pea and potato, but only moderate split peas, to match Dr. McDougall's 1 cup/day pulses limit.

Do listen and trust your body intuition. Keep trying food, sunshine, exercise and rest things, and working with your own medical team, just in case. Crazy thought, maybe you're tired from hard work?

For what it's worth, I've not worried about eating enough (starch or otherwise), just let hunger guide me.
michaelswarm

Postby blue.eyed.mary » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:14 am

Do listen and trust your body intuition. Keep trying food, sunshine, exercise and rest things, and working with your own medical team, just in case. Crazy thought, maybe you're tired from hard work?

For what it's worth, I've not worried about eating enough (starch or otherwise), just let hunger guide me.

That kind of puts an "ahhhhh" back into this adventure. Like letting out a bated breathe I didnt know was trapped.
:D
blue.eyed.mary

Postby blue.eyed.mary » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:33 am

OK Journal, here we are. It's really time to go to bed. I have to say I have enjoyed my Christmas break reconnecting with "me" and my friends and family. To be able to say, sure I would love to instead of I really can't because I have to study.

But today from start to finish has been a great conclusion to my final day before school starts tomorrow. You know how things go, don't you. You cant rest because you feel discombobulated.

I called an old client of mine by mistake today. Michael asked, "How is school going?" "I start tomorrow", I said. "I'm feeling a bit tired". Michael said, "Hey I know what you mean. Remember I went back to school, and I can tell you it was all worth it". I told him the classes and grades I was doing and getting and he was like: "OMG! I could never do that!" And he is a pilot. "Wow", I thought, "maybe I am in the midst of something really profound in my life and I dont even realize it". He's right. It will all be worth it.

Then with all the comments I got on my Health/Bone Tired post, it was all coming together what I could do next. But it wasnt until our michaelswarm posted the above comment that put my day back in order. "Mary, why are you doing this? It isn't school. There are no grades to log, it's an adventure!"

Yippee! Life, new foods, sunshine (uh well not much sunshine here in the Pacific NW, but nice thought), excersize...have fun! Rest could be going out on Sunday for 2 hours to be with my friends and learn more about archery...or weilding a sword and using my shield to protect me from a blow... during a break from studying Anatomy.

Good beginning...great stuff in between...good ending.

I've learned a lot. Thanks to all. Good-night.
blue.eyed.mary

Postby blue.eyed.mary » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:04 am

Today was a good day. Two days ago...we wont talk about that. But Yesterday, I will. I knew deep down, I needed to get out on my motorcycle. It's a way I can get out and breathe the fresh air of freedom and smile from a place that comes from the real me. The one who wants to live a "whole" life.

I started my day off with a wonderful 15min walk. While I was talking to a "sister" friend of mine about my teenager, I polished my 1996 Honda Shadow VLX. The sun came out as I was polishing the coat of wax on her fenders...yaaa, Baby! Off we went. Beautiful day. I carried my school books with me. I was going to go to an all you can eat salad bar that I slather dressing all over and drink pop....I thought, "You always leave there with a stomach ache from the sugar". So, Baebe and I headed for the Coop. They have a salad/rice/entree bar for a cost per pound. I chose a salad with Balsamic vinegar and a steaming bowl of brown rice with tamari and a pot of Gunpowder tea. After studying a Chapter, I went looking for a natural way to up my iron and B12. I found it. I have been taking my Vit D along with Floradix and I do feel a lot better. My energy is back. I will take the Floradix until the bottle is gone and then start drinking Stinging Nettle Tea for iron. It grows wile here, so some day I hope to just harvest and dry my own. In the old days, the local tribal women had their own plots staked out in the forests for harvest.

Today I ate only wholesome foods. I did it! Big sald with Balsamic Vinegar and large bowl of rice with Dr. Bronneers amino acids.

Got to get to bed. Started class and am very happy with my instructor and lab partners.
:D
blue.eyed.mary

Postby blue.eyed.mary » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:40 am

Hell-o me buckoos and me babees!
It has been a long time since I posted, but I am having a horrible time adjusting to study. I would rather good off. Go figure.

I am doing exceptionally well with the diet. I am eating lots of baked potatoes, plain dipped in sweet and sour sauce or under a really good chili bean/rice dish I made. I am not doing so well on the raw veggies.

I fudged today and had pizza with my son. Wasn't as delectable as my memory encouraged me to believe.

My energy is back! I cannot believe how good I feel.

I studied 11 hours, with breaks yesterday..so today I am toast. But tomorrow should be a better day.

many regards,
Mary
blue.eyed.mary

Postby carollynne » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:03 am

HI there, I have enjoyed reading some of your journal pages. You are on the right path for sure! It is not easy at first, but as you get slimmer and more healthy, the people around you will start to notice!! believe me on that one!! Plus you will love how you are feeling, with less digestive problems and a ton of energy too.
I wish you lots of good health and continued success on this journey !!
You cannot go wrong on this board, there is so much encouragement and good information here. I love to watch my Dvds from the one of the McDougall Advanced Study weekends, Forks over Knives and my latest buy was the Dr Esselstyn Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease DVd. It is as good as his book was too. But was all fall off the wagon at times, and I need to keep all candy in the toxic zone... The freezer... or I will be eating it all day.
good eating and cooking again.
A few tips from my journey are: I keep brown rice and some boiled potatoes in refrig all the time ... plus cut up veggies or ready to cut up!!
I love to add 2 TBP of dark balsamic vinegar to my soups, like navy bean or any of them to perk it up! I have to really watch my salt for hypertension too.. So vinegar is a good alternative for me.
have a good day out there!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby Pacificfords » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:16 am

blue.eyed.mary wrote:
My energy is back! I cannot believe how good I feel.

So happy to see your update. I was wondering how you were doing. :) It is great that your energy is back. Happy studying & McDougalling. :D
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
http://healthyandknowit2012.blogspot.com/
Pacificfords

Postby blue.eyed.mary » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:10 am

Hi Debi,
I cannot believe how committed I am right now. I did succomb to my pizza desire. Cannot call it a craving, just wanted some. But I am paying for it with Montezumas revenge. Ugh.

Previously, when I would clean a house, my energy would dip about 2 hours into it. I was starting to bring protein powder with me. It didnt help at all, but I figured it was healthy. So funny...isnt? I will do something because it is supposed to be good for me, but I dont see any results. :roll: One day I grabbed my tupperware and filled it with plain brown rice with lots of Braggs Amino Acids and another one with potatoe/bean stew...as well as a couple of carrots to much on. I felt great! My energy stayed normal and I my mood was contentment instead of depression.

It is amazing the results I am getting. Remember how tired I was?

I have only lost 5 lb. And that fluctuates. I am not getting any exercise. I need to start up again, but studying has been hard to find that balance of study/rest. I do a huge 11 hour study time, because I have the whole day off...then pay for it the next day by not being able to concentrate and find myself taking naps. That has nothing to do with diet, that has everything to do with pacing myself.

Long letter, but I am so very happy to find my energy again.
Hope you are well,
Mary
blue.eyed.mary

Postby blue.eyed.mary » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:14 am

Carollyne,
Thank-you for the reminder. I have been making huge batches of baked potatoes. They are great for snacking and using as a base to my chili beans.

Having rice on hand is a must. What was I thinking! And I love it fresh, hot and plain with Braggs. I reach for carrots and celery for muching or cut up fruit.

I should take a look at the DVDs. I have a lot of them. But need to keep educated. Will look for Forks and Knives.

MichaelSwarm uses vinegar as well. Hmmm. I want to try making a broth soup today. Will give it a try.

I feel great, but like I told Debi, the weight is not coming off that quick. I am a bit surprised. I am more concerned about the energy, so I should just be patient.

Thanks for writing!
Mary
blue.eyed.mary

Postby blue.eyed.mary » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:07 am

Doing surprisingly well with what I put in my mouth...we are in the middle of a white-out. I love snow days. I havent been out since Sunday. It's so pretty out. I have been studying like a dog, and just dont seem to make a lot of headway.

Still not eating a lot of veggies. Yesterday I finished off my homemade chili beans over potatoes. For breakfast I tried one of MichaelSwarms ideas on getting "fried potatoes" by shaking cut up cooked potatoes in spices and then baking them for 30 min in the oven. With ketchup these are pretty great...I think I cooked them a bit too much though, because they were a bit shriveled. But it was great to eat something so crunchy.

Drank more water yesterday too.

Energy is still with me. No weight loss though. :duh:
Mary
blue.eyed.mary

Postby Pacificfords » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:55 am

blue.eyed.mary wrote:Doing surprisingly well with what I put in my mouth...we are in the middle of a white-out. I love snow days. I havent been out since Sunday. It's so pretty out. I have been studying like a dog, and just dont seem to make a lot of headway.

Still not eating a lot of veggies. Yesterday I finished off my homemade chili beans over potatoes. For breakfast I tried one of MichaelSwarms ideas on getting "fried potatoes" by shaking cut up cooked potatoes in spices and then baking them for 30 min in the oven. With ketchup these are pretty great...I think I cooked them a bit too much though, because they were a bit shriveled. But it was great to eat something so crunchy.

Drank more water yesterday too.

Energy is still with me. No weight loss though. :duh:
Mary

You must live close by... same white out here. lol... Only I don't enjoy it as much as you do. I am ready for some sunshine. I just keep thinking... only a few more weeks until spring. :D

Now you made me want roasted potatoes. Yum. I saw a video where they put some cut up potatoes in a bowl and poured a bit of veggie broth over it with some spices and it made the spices attach to the potatoes better. Same cooking time. They were soft on the inside and a little crunch on the outside. I am going to try that to add to my salad for lunch. :)

Glad you are feeling so good!! I need to add exercise too. I did for about a week and then tapered off when it started to snow. I hate to exercise indoors. I would rather walk, but not in this mess of white stuff...lol
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
http://healthyandknowit2012.blogspot.com/
Pacificfords

Postby blue.eyed.mary » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:07 pm

I wondered if you were nearby...Pacificfords. :-) I'll write you off board.

MichaelSwarm has encouraged me: Diet first. Walking is good. But I personally think the guilt is bad. No more guilt, I canceled my membership to the gym and feel relieved! no more guilt!...as we gain more strength and energy from our diet, we will want to do more activity. I love my area, walks are refreshing. But ya, not in this snow.

Thanks for the tip on the potatos...going to try it today too.

Spring in a few weeks. :lol: That's what I have to say about that.

I do want to ride though!
Mary :-P
blue.eyed.mary

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals