Setting my course

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Setting my course

Postby blue.eyed.mary » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:31 am

frozveg suggested I start a journal. Annas journal has given me the courage to just be me. I'm going to start with were I am right now.

I want to be healthy, active, and strong. What am I willing to do to get there? I am in college right now. All learning eventually requires struggle as I learn a concept that is foreign to me, or try to memorize labels to those concepts.

To achieve the goal of a healthy active body and mind, I am willing to struggle and be uncomfortable while in the process of changing my habits. I am willing to allow myself to stomp my feet and cry. But I will not let go. I will not give up. I will not quit just so I can start over, I will return each day and each afternoon and focus even when I dont feel like it.

I remember that is how I got through finals in Math Statistics and Cell Biology. Was I going to quit, just to have to take the course over again? Would I look back at this time and know I did not try my best, even though everybody else said I did the best I can. I know I did my best in finals because I witnessed a tanacity that brought me back to the study table each and every hour. Was it nose to the grindstone every minute? No, there were wasted hours as I procrastinated. But the point is my heart was always headed toward study, even if I did saunter my way over to the books, I was sauntering in the right direction.

So, I commit tonight to do my best. To not let go. I know this will be hard and at times I will want to give up. But I will always remember the time in my bedroom when I told myself I could not give up on my studies. I had to know I did my best.

I got an A in Cell Biology and a B+ in Math Statistics. I can do this thing!

Mary
blue.eyed.mary

Re: Setting my course

Postby frozenveg » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:11 am

That's the attitude, Mary! Go for it! You got great grades in classes I'd tremble to take!

And you can do this, too. No more consoling yourself with kettle chips. :cry: This way of eating helps foster confidence and energy, and -- seriously -- it makes it easier to handle the day-to-day crap that life hands out!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby blue.eyed.mary » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:27 am

This way of eating helps foster confidence and energy, and -- seriously -- it makes it easier to handle the day-to-day crap that life hands out!

I did it again last night. Had a conflict with a family member and when I went to work, there was fudge....that I had avoided last time I was there. This time, I didnt care and pop, pop, pop went 4 pieces.

Came home and was fine until right before I went to bed and ate fist fulls of Kettle chips. Bag is almost gone now.

Sabotage!

I nver really considered what you are saying to be true. Can you talk a little bit more about that. How have you found it to be true that McDougals diet helps you deal with the day to day crap better. And the confidence? Energy, I can see.

Thanks for writing,
Mary]
PS I was starving...no breakfast yet---> Wrapping up choc chip cookies my youngest made for his oldest brother overseas...I grabbed a banana! Yae!
blue.eyed.mary

Postby WeeSpeck » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:26 pm

Hi Mary,

Welcome!

I really love your analogy of approaching your life-style health promoting journey with the same approach as your studies. Your good grades are a testament to your tenacity and discipline. By using those same positive qualities, you will succeed at this too!

Keep your eye to the goal and let go of the bumps along the way. Release any guilt of past trip ups and just push forward one meal at a time, one bite at a time. Remember, you always have a choice. Pause before you act. Count to ten, walk away. Even if you popped one piece of fudge in your mouth, you can pause, count to ten, walk away. Four pieces of fudge is not ten! One piece of fudge is not four.

Soon, you will be able to pass by off-plan treats and choose crisp sweet holiday globe grapes or decadent bites of deglet noor dates that taste amazingly like a square of caramel.

For me, these are the things that helped me the most in the beginning:

1. Plan.
• Plan weekly menus
• Plan daily meals, breakfast lunch and dinner
• Make lists before you go to the grocery store and stick to the list
• Never be caught out without on-plan food in your possession

2. Remove temptation.
• Get rid of any off-plan food in your house
• Fill up with healthy food before going out to parties or restaurants
• Keep healthy alternatives where you work to offset the off-plan treats
• Don’t let yourself get too hungry

3. Enmesh yourself in support
• Read everything! There are so many great books that support this life-style
o The China Study
o The Pleasure Trap
o The End to Overeating
o Every McDougall book
o Tons more…..
• Read daily.
• Listen to health supporting videos
o VegSource
o McDougall Minutes
o Tons more…
• Watch health supporting movies
o Forks Over Knives is a good place to start
• Stay connected with the McDougall boards

4. Start again as many times as you need to. Don’t give up.

This program is simple, but it is not always easy in the beginning. So forgive yourself your transgressions. Soon, this will be a way of life!
--\--@ Nancy @--/--

I am but a wee speck in the big picture of the universe.
WeeSpeck

Postby frozenveg » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:44 am

Wow, Weespeck, I could not have put that any better! And Mary, I totally second the PLAN aspect of this. As a matter of fact, I kind of fell in to this way of eating after an argument I had with my DH about the fact that I never have a meal plan--he hated asking me what's for dinner, and my answering him with, "I don't know, let's see." For the first six weeks or so on this plan I had a menu for every day. We didn't always eat what I had written down, but it was because we still had leftovers from the day before. DH would add his meat to whatever I had made.

But for myself, I always know now what I have in the pantry, fridge and freezer, that I can have. We have a very long commute--in the winter, it's an hour & 1/2 drive one way--and I like knowing that I have food prepared at home ready for me to warm up as soon as I walk in the door. When we go shopping on the weekends, I always have a bag in my purse with cold cooked little potatoes, tomatoes, and carrots, to pop in my mouth if I get hungry, or if we need to go to a restaurant. So--knowing that there is good food that is on-plan waiting for you at every turn will keep you from making bad choices when you are stressed.

And the way this way of eating helps me deal with the bad times...part of it is confidence. I lost weight, rather steadily, quietly, and it gave me a big boost of confidence, to know that I was taking action to solve a problem. Part of it is the much, much better way I feel because I am getting wonderful nutrients--I feel vibrant, full of life, healthy and unencumbered by stomach upset, nerves, fatigue and pain. The lessening of pain is a big one--I have observed that when people are in pain, they feel weaker, more annoyed, and tend to lash out at others and themselves much more frequently.

When I go for comfort food now, either out of upset or as a reward, I go for something like refried beans as a dip and salsa, all low-sodium and no-fat, and baked corn tortillas (10 minutes or less in the oven!), and I am happy, and get full really fast! Can't eat a lot of that! And it feels good to know I have eaten on-plan food and satisfied an itch!

Success Story:
frozenveg

Postby blue.eyed.mary » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:53 pm

I am running to work, but wanted to say, yes, I have copied wee specks advice and will print it out....I agree very good outline.

Taking food with you...cooked potatoes and such. Good idea.

I came home starving last night from work. I could have grabbed the roast beef stew, but just steamed some broccoli..actually a lot of broccoli and cabbage and put a pot of rice on. Whcih I had later with soy milk and some brown sugar. Didnt know what to do with it. Soy sauce didnt sound good. Later while watching tv...cut up a cuke.

This morning starving! Wanted usual eggs and fried potatos...made antoher bowl of rice.

Meal planning is a must if I am going to survive.
Thanks ladies!
Mary
blue.eyed.mary

Postby blue.eyed.mary » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:07 pm

It's been a few days. First thing I want to do is get rid of the guilt. OMG I ate, what beef? Well, I did, but this is a transition time and I am not going to hide the facts. Som, there fore am not going to make excuses either. I read the beginning of Frozvveg journal. and I was encouraged that she went from a very tied 180 to an active 129. I cant believe it. So, if anybody wants to lecture me, go ahead abecause I wont answer you, but I will read it. I am in push mode. Just like with studying for my finals. I know it is going to be good for me, so I have to push through until it starts making sense. I have a frig full of vieggies, but the kitchen is a mess so I starved yesterday. I was so hungry! I have been eating eggs and fried opotatos for quite some time. And so after 4 days, I made soem today. The egg yolk was disgusting. I was full half way through. No this has to be all psychological, becasue it has only been 4 days. But It doesnt appeal to me anymore. I need to find something I want to eat. I dont want to use soymilk anymore but oatmeal doesnt have that Oh boy, I'm going to have oatmeal feeling.

I have been faithful all week to get up out of bed by 5:20 put on my work out clothes that are waiting for me by my door, blend up a bananam, strawberries, and protein poder...drink that down and grab my water bottle. I am at the gym by 6am working out. So far two days of pumping weights and two days of spin class. Today at spin, my muscles were little out of energy and it was tough going for the first 20 minutes. then I didnt like Take Off , but I wasnt so sluggish. I came home feeling great and made myself the egg breakfast I talked about. Why do I want to eat something that ws intended to be the norishing medium of a baby chick? ewe. Oh yes, had a bagel and cream cheese too.

I have been starving. I just look in the frig and dont see anything. So, I grab a frozen bag of brussle sprouts that eases the hunger. Next I grab an orange. Next a handful of rainins and I give in to a bowl of stew on the stove that ws made for my son.

Like I said my kitchen is a mess. Going in to clean it now. Have two pots of beans on. white and pinto.Bought a new Bamboo cutting board and will organize kitchen today to occomodate new lifestyle. My hosue is in ruins because of the concerted effort to study. I have today off and I need to make a huge dent.

I dont want to research anymore, but I really have to...hence the push to just tread water. I do have a lot of McDougals DVDs. Frozveg suggested I get at least one supportive message in a day on my new lifestyle. Sounds like a plan. I'll probably get some ideas on what to eat.

I have read some posts today...stay away from dried fruit. Only two pieces of fresh fruit a day. half calories should be yellow and green veggies. Eat uncooked foods.

I am not getting enough water either. OK long rambles. At this point in the game, I have to not care. I just have to get my toughts out. I am going to do this. I am committed. I just havent found my niche yet. A dalily habit. I am so glad I am exercising again, because I actually look better after only 4 days. I am going to conquor this lazy attitude of falling back into old ways, because it is too hard to push through and start something new. If I can get an A in Cell Biology that I had to study and form new concepts in my brain about, I can do this. And that is all I ahve to say today.

Thank you so much for listening. It helps to know I am not just writing, I am being heard. No editing. This is my journal. :cool:
Mary
blue.eyed.mary

Postby frozenveg » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:55 am

OK! It is great to get your thoughts out on paper--well, virtual paper, anyway. It sounds like your life is very busy and going in a million directions right now. You sound as though you need to step back from it a bit, and take a look at it as it goes by, to see what you can do to make this way of eating (living) easy for you. As the title of your journal says, "setting your course."

It may sound like nagging, but others have mentioned it too--PLAN. You seem to have the beginnings of it with your workout in the morning. But it doesn't sound as though you planned what you would eat, and since you have been feeling so hungry, it sounds like planning your food for several days might be a priority, even over exercise.

Getting your kitchen in order sounds like an important priority! Good start! And perhaps trying to think of something that appeals to you means not eating the traditional foods at traditional times. Find what appeals to you--4 or 5 things--and plan to have those things available at all times for a quick meal or snack.

You have managed to wrap your brain around some new and complicated things, and this WOE is another one. It sounds as though it is going to be harder for you (than for me) to get the idea, feel, and habit of not grabbing protein and fat items for food, which is, after all, what "normal" is in this country! So ease into this if you must, and yes, keep reading info and inspiration, at least one thing a day, to keep your head in this game. For me it is no longer "normal" to think of whipping up an egg for food, but many years of habit are hard to break. I still occasionally think, "this dish needs cheese," or something like that. I didn't really go the route of thinking of how disgusting the old fatty meaty foods were, because I was already such a vegetable eater. I just left the meaty part out. So I have never tried to psych myself out of milk or cheese or anything, because I have made them invisible to me. Lucky I did, because I still have all that stuff around, with the SAD eaters in my home. But when I think the dish needs cheese, I either move past that or I add a judicious amount of nutritional yeast, and even my husband has started not minding that!

Anyway--you are getting there. You are the little engine that could. I am here to urge you to plan what you are going to eat. Make a 5-day plan--know what you are going to have for 5 days, and have it. You will feel empowered. You will feel great. And have a merry Christmas!

Success Story:
frozenveg

Postby Pacificfords » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:57 am

Mary ~ I enjoyed reading through your journal this morning. First, Welcome! I think it is very helpful for people to see such honesty in going through the process of changing your lifestyle. I appreciate the way you express yourself. I look forward to following your journey and I enjoyed reading the advice that was given to you as well and plan to make use of it. :) One of the things that tripped me up in the past... the people that wanted to lecture me. I am a perfectionist and after that began to hide my imperfections from the "board" so that I wouldn't have to listen to the lectures and continue to beat myself up for mistakes. I love the way you stated how you would handle that. Your candor is refreshing. :nod:
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
http://healthyandknowit2012.blogspot.com/
Pacificfords

Postby blue.eyed.mary » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:14 am

Hi frozveg you are a brave soul to post to my "no lecture" proclamation. :-) I tried to post a qualifying statement, but my computer crashed along with my re-post.

Lecturing is trying to make me feel bad so I will do good. So, I hope that puts lecturing in perspective, because I do appreciate your constructive response. The criticism has only happened once since I have been on here. I was just trying to protect myself. Nagging is totally allowed. :-D

You are right about the planning. Because of the research involved I have not gone this far. But looks like I had better or I am going to sabotage myself.

As I was cleaning up my house I played Dr. McDougal's Total Health DVD and listened to it while I worked. I found this to be an invaluable tool in Cell Biology. After I studied, I would record my notes on mp3. Then I would work (I have a cleaning business) and listen. Even if my mind wondered it didn't matter, because I have the ability to listen to the same thing for 4 hours and not go stark raving mad. Then I go back and concentrate on my notes while listening and it all falls into place. Man, did it help listening to Dr. McDougal. It was a total refresher course. I think that is going to be something I need to do everyday. Wish I could get it on my mp3.

Today, I wake up, look around and see nothing for breakfast, so I walk away sad. Yesterday as I was reaching for the chicken, I remembered the beans I made. Rice beans and hot sauce.

My goal today is to read recipes online and in my McDougal recipe books and plan for the next 5 days. The main thing again, and here I am nagging myself. Is I know I want this. I just have to keep reminding myself, "you want this. Don't give yp know. You know what it is like to eat a diet heavy in meats and cheeses. You have the weight to show for it. You go, girl, you are on the right right track. Don't derail. This inst hard if you plan, so come on, get out those books and load your new kitchen with tons of healthy food! What a treat! You can have two servings of fresh fruit a day. What veggies do you like. You have a brand new rice cooker...keep it going. At night you can put your oatmeal or...hey you have millet...in your crock pot with apples...yum! Ok, your hungry...go make some millet with cinnamon. Grab and orange. You are going to do this one meal at a time. Get back in there, it will all fall into place."

This is hard. But so is learning to play the mandolin. But the benefits! Thanks everybody for listening, I'm putting on my total health DVD again. :nod: And thanks for the encouragement Frozveg. Here I go.
Mary
blue.eyed.mary

Postby blue.eyed.mary » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:30 am

One of the things that tripped me up in the past... the people that wanted to lecture me. I am a perfectionist and after that began to hide my imperfections from the "board" so that I wouldn't have to listen to the lectures and continue to beat myself up for mistakes.

Dear Pacificfords...I am so glad you knew what I was talking about. Because I was afraid the encouragers like frozveg wouldnt post thinking I didnt want advice. I too am a perfectionist. When I am lectured at, I take it to heart...because there is always a grain of truth in it. So, then it takes me all day to sort through the feelings of a "hit" that it generated and it takes all my strength not to retaliate by blasting that person with my arsenal of verbiage for being so rude. :lol:

When I got a critical post recently, I handled it very well and was very happy how mature I was. This cracks me up. I am reading a fabulous book called "Tracks". In there she brings up the fact that we have different people inside that make up "us". So, there is the mom inside that is lecturing me. :( And the coach who is telling me to get back in the ring. And the kid who is telling me to sit back and enjoy life. What I think is funny is how much we are learning and changing and growing all the time. We are really so much like the kids we thought we "grew out of". So telling me to sit up straight in my chair, is going to make me want to slouch more. But telling me an interesting story makes me sit up and pay attention. Kind of a lame analogy, but I think we are all fighting huge battles and should give each other a lot of grace and mercy. It's a balance that I do not have all the time. I raised 6 kids, and I didn't always use tack to get them to sit up straight by any means.

Thanks for your post Pacificfords. I want this so bad. I have started and stopped eating healthy and started and stopped exercising so many times it is scary. I am hoping I learned a lot studying and showed myself I can so what ever I really want to do. I really think planning is the total key. Thanks frozveg!

I'm starving....here I come millet!
Mary
blue.eyed.mary

Postby blue.eyed.mary » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:48 pm

I made millet for breakfast with a cut up apple. I used Soybean Milk. No oil in the ingredients. I ate two bowls and was still hungry. :\ So, I ate the food I was going to take to work with me. A bowl of rice with pinto beans and jalepenos with hot sauce (no oil). Now I am full.

My stomach needs shrinking. More water maybe.

To work I am taking one banana.

I have made navy bean soup: filtered water, homemade cooked white beans, celery, carrots, cabbage, zucchini. forgot to add potatos. And I made a big pot of short brown rice ...theres my starch.

At least I will have something to eat when I get home! Yae...Mary, at least you planned for one day. I dont mind eating the same thing for two meals in a row if I like it.

My dear friend Allan said to me that weight loss was not bout the excersize it was about the food. Hmmmm. Well, I do see one girl at the gym who is in my weight class and Spin class who has been coming for a couple of years and has not lost any weight. It has always perplexed me. She is probably 100 lb over weight. Definelty food is getting in her way.

So, my thinking has to change once again. If I am going to exersize, I have to be aware of what I eat or I am not going to get the results I want.

Off to work,
Mary
blue.eyed.mary

Postby frozenveg » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:28 am

blue.eyed.mary wrote:My dear friend Allan said to me that weight loss was not bout the excersize it was about the food. Hmmmm. Well, I do see one girl at the gym who is in my weight class and Spin class who has been coming for a couple of years and has not lost any weight. It has always perplexed me. She is probably 100 lb over weight. Definelty food is getting in her way.

So, my thinking has to change once again. If I am going to exersize, I have to be aware of what I eat or I am not going to get the results I want.

Off to work,
Mary

Mary, that is so funny, since Lani Muelrath recently linked a video with the theme "you can't out-train a bad diet." This video is humorous, but a very clear illustration of the fact that it IS all about the food! (exercise is great for strength, flexibility, energy and so on, but for losing weight? not so much, directly...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY8THxAH ... re=related

Success Story:
frozenveg

Postby frozenveg » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:34 am

Also, thanks for letting me know that it was OK to post what I did before. I didn't know it might be thought of as criticism. I felt like it was total encouragement! Your post had sounded a bit panicky and scattered, and I could tell from your previous posts that you had it in you to get it together, and I was hoping to give you some places to lock into and hang on, to keep the world from spinning a bit too much. Does that make sense? I actually loved your analogy of the kid in you not wanting to be told to sit up straight, but automatically sitting up straight to listen to an interesting story. You really have a way with words, and that is a fascinating insight! It's also about different people having different learning styles. Like you, I love to listen to things while I'm working, but, unlike you, when I zone out, I haven't heard and absorbed the stuff. So that's a good insight you have on your learning style, too.

It sounds like you are making strides. Good for you!

Success Story:
frozenveg

Postby Pacificfords » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:42 am

blue.eyed.mary wrote: I think we are all fighting huge battles and should give each other a lot of grace and mercy.
Mary

So true! This is a battle. That is exactly how I look at it. Some days I win and some days I don't, but I will continue to fight until the winning days take over and become the "normal" in my life. I made a huge leap in that direction today. :) I guess that is what it is really about.... moving forward more and backward less. :nod:

Love reading your journal and your journey through this process. You have a determination and strength of purpose that are inspiring. Have a great, great day!!
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
http://healthyandknowit2012.blogspot.com/
Pacificfords

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals