Setting my course

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Setting my course

Postby blue.eyed.mary » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:57 pm

Michael, I took my icky bean soup out of the freezer and added some tomato paste...not bad. This morning, I cut up a baked potato and put homemade chili beans on top with jalepenos and hot sauce. mmmmm. So good. Glad to meet you.

So, I am having a horrible time with getting to bed. Eliminated working out again today. But, something went well this week even though I only worked out one day: I lost a couple of pounds. Nice! I'm going to keep working at my sleep patterns...I just dont dare get 5 hours sleep, work out and then come home and go to bed..just ruins the days energy. I am really encouraged by the weight loss.

It's funny because I gained weight, then I lost, then I gained and then boom...from my max to where I am now...6lbs. Seems a bit extreme. But I like it.

I have a bit more energy today, but spending way to much time dinking around. Have the day off...need to take shower and clean up!

:-P
blue.eyed.mary

Postby Pacificfords » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:05 pm

blue.eyed.mary wrote:I lost a couple of pounds. Nice!

Congrats!! :-D

blue.eyed.mary wrote:I have a bit more energy today,

Glad you are getting more energy!!

blue.eyed.mary wrote:but spending way to much time dinking around.

You say that like it is a bad thing. :P If "dinking around" were a career ~ I would be at the top of my field. :lol:
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
http://healthyandknowit2012.blogspot.com/
Pacificfords

Postby blue.eyed.mary » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:42 pm

If "dinking around" were a career ~ I would be at the top of my field.

Funny girl. You DO make me smile.
Well, I at least took a shower.
I DO have energy. Is it a fluke? Is this real?
I bought a TEETER transverse table yesterday, boy is it great for my lower back. (craigslist!) So, everything from my room, my piano, music books etc are in my living room...right smack in the middle. My poor mandolin needs some pictures of Baebe (my motorcycle) on the wall next to her to keep her company. That Transverse table takes up so much room, but it will be easy to sweep the floor!

I had potatos and chili beans for breakfast. Veggies of some sort coming up later...while I work: carrots etc. I am learning so much form the McDougal site.

It's sunny her today...another bike ride as a motivation to clean. :lol:
blue.eyed.mary

Postby Pacificfords » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:21 pm

If "dinking around" were a career ~ I would be at the top of my field.

blue.eyed.mary wrote:Funny girl. You DO make me smile.

I DO have energy. Is it a fluke? Is this real?

Oh good grief! Did I really type "were" a career instead of "was." :duh: That is just not right. lol...

The energy is real and it feels SO good. Just a few months ago I was having to have what looked like 1040 oil pumped in through an IV for weeks at a time and daily shots to accompany it. I could not believe my last appointment when my doctor said it is no longer necessary. I have lots of energy! Enjoy it!!!

I keep being reminded of the saying "nothing tastes as good as healthy feels."
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby michaelswarm » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:26 pm

Mary,

Funny, I just today made white bean soup for the first time, from Williams-Sonoma Soup cookbook recipe, which called for Navy beans but I used leftover Italian cannellini beans instead.

I can't make soups unless they're thick starches like split pea or black bean or Indian lentil. Thinner soups like Minestrone, and this white bean soup, defy me. But I think I'm finally understanding and making some progress.

Today's soup not so bad. Finished with bit of fresh onion, parsley and balsamic vinegar, and served with potato dumplings.
michaelswarm

Postby StarchBeet » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:20 pm

I'm liking the journey you're on blue eyed mary. I was very happy to discover how easy it is to make tortilla chips by pizza-style cutting corn tortillas, like frozenveg suggested; and the same with sweet potato medallions. I love frozen vegs selections, choices and ideas. She'd never lead ya wrong.

I hope you enjoy the many new discoveries coming your way. Eventually the successful stick with simple easy "old reliable" choices that bring them much health and happiness. Keep up the great work.
StarchBeet

Postby blue.eyed.mary » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:16 am

MichaelSwarm, I think soups are the way to go for me. I never thought about it, but you are right the split pea etc is easier becasue it makes its own broth, but so do white beans. This one is just bla...maybe I am used to the salt? Vinegar, you put that in soup?

Well, today, I was driving home from a night with my cousins (New Year Eve) and I was so good. I went to the grocery store and grabed a couple of bags of cut veggies. But before I got home, I was starving. I knew I had chocolates in the car from our party...3 in a row. I came home with full intention of doing something with my bean soup...my son had pizza in the oven...down went two slices.

OK, well slow down.

I talked to my family this weekend about my pan to be vegan. Nobody discouraged me...they asked a few questions. But i don't own it yet and I know it. It is like the china I inherited 20 years ago. I have had it on display. I use it for Thanksgiving. But not unitl three days ago, when I got it down for a short cup of coffee, did I look at it and go ... this is mine. I own it. Yes, it WAS Great Grandmas, but no longer it is mine. Such a good feeling. Weird too, but it made me realize how much stress was put on the fact that is was Great Grandmas...ooowwww...be careful! No it is mine. '

So, New Years Eve...being with my cousins, I thought: Being with my familiy is like a warm cup of tea. I belong here. I own this.

That is were I need to get with my new lifestyle.

Funny sidelight: My girlfriend and I were talking about how much stuff is in the milk of a cow. Afterall, when we were nursing, anything we ate, affected the baby. How much more for a cow? When her husband sat down, I said what do you think of what we are talking about. He was so strongly opinionated he slammed his fist down on the table. Bam! I need my milk! It helps me sleep, it makes me feel good. I don't want to hear anymore doom and gloom! I calmly said, "Well, it really doesn't matter how you feel about milk, it is more the facts that our milk is tainted with antibiotics and it isnt healthy anymore.". Well I was raised on fresh milk on the farm...:" "OK, so go find an organic source of fresh milk. What you are drinking isn't good for you". He calmed down after that. But man...OK, so my girlfriend and I were talking about genetics. She firmly believes that heart disease etc is passed down. I remembered something Dr. McD said, something liek: If a family has poor eating habits, then they are passing down their bad eating habits, not genetics. She didn't believe me. But maybe food for thought.

How much do I own this lifestyle?
it sounds like planning your food for several days might be a priority, even over exercise.

frozenveg, I totally agree with you. It doesnt matter how good I am to get up and hit the gym, if I am eating Pizza and chocolate, well, I am just defeating my very purpose for getting healthy.

Eventually the successful stick with simple easy "old reliable" choices that bring them much health and happiness.

Thank-you starchbeet. I am getting ready to plan my meals. frozenveg did say to keep it simple...to 5 meals. I am "ON" it!

Thank-you all for your posts. I love getting your mail.
Happy New Year Day!
Mary
blue.eyed.mary

Postby Pacificfords » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:20 am

Mary ~ it was really interesting to read about "owning the lifestyle." That really does make sense!

Planning seems to be a huge key in all of this for sure. I find that when I plan - things go so much more smoothly. One of the worst things is to get hungry and not have a plan because it seems like we just go into default mode. I am hopeful that one day this lifestyle will be so comfortable and routine that it won't matter if there is a plan or not - reaching for something healthy will be automatic and easy.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby blue.eyed.mary » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:46 pm

I'm in default mode today.
:duh:
blue.eyed.mary

Postby Pacificfords » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:51 pm

blue.eyed.mary wrote:I'm in default mode today.
:duh:

Well.... well....

just stop it! lol... Go make a plan girl!!! :P

Hope your day is good regardless of what mode you end up in. :)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby blue.eyed.mary » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:00 pm

waaa :lol:

ok...will try to stop it...will listen to a DVD
blue.eyed.mary

Postby Pacificfords » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:34 pm

blue.eyed.mary wrote:waaa :lol:

ok...will try to stop it...will listen to a DVD

We need emergency kits for when we go into "default" :) a DVD sounds like a good idea. Enjoy!
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby blue.eyed.mary » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:05 pm

sounds like a good idea..Break Open the Emergency Kit!...I'm going into default! There could be a McD DVD, dates stuffed with walnut for the sugar fix and fat fix, and a permission card to take a hot soothing bath while listening to your McDougal DVD. :D
blue.eyed.mary

Postby michaelswarm » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:17 pm

This one is just bla...maybe I am used to the salt? Vinegar, you put that in soup?

Mary,

I'm still experimenting (and having fun.)

I try to remember ladle 1/2 cup into a small bowl, and drop or pinch liquid or spice to make final adjustment to taste. If that works, then adjust the pot.

Some recipes call for either lemon juice, lime juice, basalmic vinegar or white vinegar, usually about 1 tbsp. Think it perks up and enhances the other flavors. (Also mustard condiment, which contains vinegar.) My soup today added both lime juice and yellow mustard (was spicy yellow lentil-potato, with potato dumplings, yum!)

Salt is my last resort. I tend to make my soups with less liquid, because liquid just dilutes the spices including salt. My soup usually has 1/8 tsp salt. I might bump up another 1/8 tsp. (Everything scratch or no-salt.)

I liked the McDougall DVDs, alternated 1 "talk" and 1 recipe.
michaelswarm

Postby StarchBeet » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:39 pm

Having a couple of favorite dishes you can keep around; or similarly slicing up vegetables to put into containers in the frige...those sorts of things need room in your schedule. I did this when I put myself first. I finally got the rewards. Get some successes under your belt :nod:

Julie
StarchBeet

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals