Surviving Christmas ~ 20 Days

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Surviving Christmas ~ 20 Days

Postby Pacificfords » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:49 am

I decided to start a new journal to end off the year ~ the last 20 days. I really wasn't expecting to get so much support from a couple of recent threads I started in frustration, but considering this board is basically my ONLY support, it helped me considerably. I will keep trying to be more transparent and open in sharing my lifestyle because it seems to be the key to success for me right now. Accountability is a great thing. Encouragement is even better.

I am fighting a big battle right now and it isn't just with myself, although I am learning that it is much more about my inner strength than I ever imagined.

Christmas has always been one of my favorite times of year. I love the lights, the decorations, the music, the festive feeling... but the food has always been a centerpiece. Eggnog, making cookies, parties, cappuccino, candy... and the list goes on ~ quite some time actually ~ before we even get to Christmas Eve Dinner and Christmas Day. Then there is even a traditional New Year's Day meal that makes the holiday seemingly never end. I have done well so far, but this weekend was not good for me, so I need to refocus before all is lost. I found myself giving up this weekend, giving in, letting go of my plans, deciding that January would be a good time to refocus. I have had way to many "tomorrows" in my life. What needs to happen is TODAY...over and over and over and over, until it becomes a habit.

Once December is over, many people shift their focus to getting healthy in the new year. I always look forward to this because it sure helps me! So, in surviving Christmas, along with surviving my family and friends... this journal is really all about survival right now. That, to me, means staying compliant and not giving in to myself, society, the pressure of friends or family or the sabotage that I have been feeling from those that are around me lately. It means becoming a bit more transparent on this board and sharing more about my day. It means formulating a plan and sticking with it no matter what. It means making today the day that I get healthy, not tomorrow.

I am keeping it simple... with things that I enjoy. Oatmeal and grapefruit for breakfast. A potato with seasoned beans for lunch. Rice with steamed veggies for dinner & a nice long walk. That is my plan for today. I am just going to take it one day at a time... and from past experience... those days go fast and I would much rather look back with pride than regret.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
http://healthyandknowit2012.blogspot.com/
Pacificfords

Re: Surviving Christmas ~ 20 Days

Postby toadfood » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:30 am

What a great plan you have for today. You go girl!

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Postby Rosey » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:31 am

Great plan sweetie. We can all look back with pride on our day. HUGS!!!
Rosey

Postby Dendra » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:48 am

My basic goal is to reach Jan 1 without doing any significant damage but still enjoying the holiday season.

Good luck to us all. :)
Dendra

Postby to_our_health » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:52 am

Hi Pacificfords,
I've been reading the boards for years but don't always post. Your recent posts, and especially this one, prompt me to pop in and say, kudos to you!

Your reflections, insight, determination and willingness to take your own critical health needs seriously, in the face of no support, inspires me.

Even with the support of family and friends (which I am lucky to have), this can be a lonely road to travel at first, when we make the decision to disengage from all the food related activities and connections. In your case, where you said your friends and close relationships were based on being accepting of overweight and enjoying food together, the implications can be profound. Seems like this is what you are now experiencing.

Unlike alcohol, which doesn't have to be a part of our lives, food does and it sometimes takes an amount of emotional maturity for those around us not to get defensive when we choose differently (which they experience as rejection).

Oh well, as you said, time to focus on today and tomorrow and your plan sounds great..for today, which turns into the next for today, which turns into...

Rooting for you...
to_our_health

Postby jamietwo » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:05 pm

You have a LOT of support on this board! I like your one day at a time approach! Something that has helped me (in life) is that if I start down the wrong path, I can start my day over immediately! I don't have to wait for tomorrow. :) You have a great plan for your health and to let us support you, and think of the wonderful example you're setting for your son! Good for you! (((hugs)))
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby Pacificfords » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:43 pm

Ate a great healthy breakfast. :thumbsup: Husband wanted us to eat lunch out in spite of how he knew I was already feeling about the weekend and food. :thumbsdown: "Discussed" with husband for about three hours. :duh: (okay... about 1 hour of discussion and 2 hours of yelling and screaming on both sides, very rare in our house)

Hubby finally concluded that YES, OUR health and our marriage IS more important than junk food. (the short version) :thumbsup: And life goes on... hopefully in a much better direction after today. Actions will speak louder than words in this case. :nod:

I compromised to do the regular McDougall plan (gluten free) instead of MWL (at least for family dinners.) Slower weight loss, possibly, but a happy healthy family, most definitely. :) He decided it would be better for me to do the planning and shopping until he has his addictions under control and can handle it. :thumbsup:

And... I am so exhausted. I hate conflict more than anything. I want a happy, healthy family. Hot tea and a nice Christmas movie should really be a nice end to the day. :)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby Katydid » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:26 am

Pacificfords wrote:Hubby finally concluded that YES, OUR health and our marriage IS more important than junk food. (the short version) :thumbsup: . Hot tea and a nice Christmas movie should really be a nice end to the day. :)

Good or you for both standing up for yourself AND being willing to compromise with a little bread and pasta. Better a slow loss over the holidays than a gain! You are really learning now rather than just reacting. Your last line made me smile. After a hard day at work yesterday, I came home to a bowl of 3-bean chili, the 1951 Christmas Carol and Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride herbal tea (my secret weapon this holiday - thank you Celestial Seasons) :D .
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby Dissolution » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:51 am

Wow, that sounds like a HUGE amount of progress with your husband! I'm very happy for the both of you!
Dissolution

Postby nicoles » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:30 am

Pacificfords wrote:Ate a great healthy breakfast. :thumbsup: Husband wanted us to eat lunch out in spite of how he knew I was already feeling about the weekend and food. :thumbsdown: "Discussed" with husband for about three hours. :duh: (okay... about 1 hour of discussion and 2 hours of yelling and screaming on both sides, very rare in our house)

Hubby finally concluded that YES, OUR health and our marriage IS more important than junk food. (the short version) :thumbsup: And life goes on... hopefully in a much better direction after today. Actions will speak louder than words in this case. :nod:

I compromised to do the regular McDougall plan (gluten free) instead of MWL (at least for family dinners.) Slower weight loss, possibly, but a happy healthy family, most definitely. :) He decided it would be better for me to do the planning and shopping until he has his addictions under control and can handle it. :thumbsup:

And... I am so exhausted. I hate conflict more than anything. I want a happy, healthy family. Hot tea and a nice Christmas movie should really be a nice end to the day. :)

Wow! All I can say is, this is amazing progress - I am so relieved for you!

Christmas is hard for me, too. I know, not exactly a news flash! :lol: But I do put on my crabby pants when I am the only one not indulging in a treat - hard to remember at times that the best treat is the emotional maturity mentioned above and the enjoyment of good, or at least better, health that follows.

Rooting for you, and following your example!
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Pacificfords » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:17 am

18 Days until the New Year. I have been doing good. Sticking to my plan. I am down two pounds in two days. I'm keeping my goals really simple this time. 5 more pounds by January 1st. It isn't all about the weight, but my doctor really pushed me yesterday to make it more about the weight and get in the habit of exercise. He wants me doing my transplant assessment NOW. I am hoping by February or March. I have to lose 50 pounds for that to happen.

My husband is on board now... seemingly with a good attitude. I think my Irish Temper scared him. :lol: I know it scared me. We have an awesome plan for meals without the boys feeling like they are "dieting" or being extreme. The coming weeks dinner plans... Shepherd's Pie, Tamales made with Sweet Potatoes/Spinach, Rice Stuffed Acorn Squash, Spring Rolls/ Peanut Sauce (our favorite now), Split Pea Soup, Corn Potato Chowder, Lima Bean Stew, and Creamy Avacado Pasta. I tried to pepper MWL meals into the regular meals, so we have a balance. I already have the boys on board with cereal and almond milk for breakfast with fruit. That is as good as that is going to get, but when they were eating eggs, meat, cheese and bread for breakfast - the new breakfast makes me very, very happy. I will stick with my oatmeal and grapefruit... and some homemade granola on occasion. Lunches are honestly going to be salads (our favorite tomato/cucumber) or rice/bean salad and leftovers. I make extra dinner and then freeze what is left so we can just heat it up each day. That way I am only really putting effort into one meal each day with all of the dicing, cutting and cooking. :)

It feels good going through the holiday season this year on track and not tempted. I still can't believe how my thoughts have changed on cheese just after reading about how it is made. It sure makes it easier to give something up when that something turns your stomach instead of making you stare at the fridge in longing for a few minutes. lol...
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby jamietwo » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:14 pm

Good for you! I'm glad you've found something to work for you and for your family. During my months-long elimination diet, I ALWAYS ate different food than the rest of the family, but they at least McDougall, which helps immensely!
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby nicoles » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:52 pm

Sounds like a great plan, PF! Glad you and your family have found a happy medium for the Holidays.
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby toadfood » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:15 pm

What wonderful news, PF! Now how about sharing that tamale recipe?

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Postby Pacificfords » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:45 pm

toadfood wrote:What wonderful news, PF! Now how about sharing that tamale recipe?

I don't really use a recipe, except for the sauce. :)

2 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
2 cups water
1 8 ounce can tomato paste
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt

If too thin, you can thicken a bit with cornstarch.

Then I heat the corn tortillas briefly in a non-stick skillet to make them easier to roll. Fill each tortilla with a small scoop of baked (cooled) sweet potato and some fresh spinach. Then line them up in the dish and pour the sauce over. Cover and bake @ 350 for about a half hour. You can also sprinkle things on top like black sliced olives or green onions... whatever you like. :) I just kind of put it together from a bunch of different recipes. :)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals