Lola's Place

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Lola's Place

Postby Lola » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:40 pm

I started living this lifestyle 12 days ago, but this monday I ate a little piece of cake(dairy, sugar, chocolate, alcohol) and sauerkraut with garlic made on oil! I started this program with elimination diet because of digestive problems, except I am eating raw bananas, raw peeled apples and flaxseed.
On monday I also ate 2 cups of millet, because I weren't at home and I have to choose between quinoa, millet and white rice. After I ate cake, sauerkraut and millet, my stomach became swollen and I had some gas... Next day I had some sharp pains in lower stomach, but nothing really serious. Because there were three new foods on my diet, I don't know what cause me problems... So I am basically on day three now. :-(

Otherwise I am quite OK, I have some bloating everyday in the afternoon and evening, there is still some gas. I came from raw diet, so my body is adjusted to fibre. I was somehow consipated on raw food. I was going everyday, but it was dry and not formed...
When I started McD diet my stools changed to almost perfect. :-)
I am also feeling a little lightheaded and my muscles are weak, but I am not sleepy and I have energy.

I have problems with calories. I am afraid to loose more weight, so I try to eat as much as I can, but everyday I ask myself... Why if I am bloated because of too much food for my system?
How do I know how much calories do I need?

I was moderately active last few months, but these days I am mostly sedentary and I feel I should be moving more again. :|
I want to gain muscle mass and become stronger, so I will be focusing on weight training, but some long walks and maybe a little running will be good for my digestion.

It's hard to be on elimination diet. I was thinking to start eating everything allowed on regular plan to see how I feel, because I don't have so terrible issues. I really hope I am not gluten intolerant and I can handle corn. I really like corn and cornmeal, so I will try it as soon as possible.

And I drink a lot of water. At least 4L everyday. I read on this board that we don't need a lot of water on this diet, possible only at the beginning. I hope I am not drinking too much, I drink only when I am thirsty and this is very often. :D

Sorry for my bad english, but I had to start writing journal, because this will help me to stay on track. :)
Lola

Day 4

Postby Lola » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:33 pm

I feel really dehydrated today. :? My digestion is slow and I have tense stomach. I already drink a lot of water, but I just need more and more. And last few days I have smelly stools. I rarely had smelly stools in my life, so why is this happening now. :shock: And stools are green, but I am eating mostly spinach and green beans, so I hope it's because of this.

Today I ate:
b-bananas+apples+ground flaxseed
l-brown rice
d-spinach, brown rice, green beans
Lola

Re: Lola's Place

Postby nicoles » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:48 pm

Hi Lola! Love your cat picture! :lol:

I have the same "green" issue when I eat a lot of leafy greens, so I would not worry too much about it, at least for now. I am not a doctor, though ;-)

Whay are you on the elimination diet? Do you have an autoimmune condition or IBD?

Glad you are here! :-D

Nicole
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Lola » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:18 pm

Thank you. ;)

I have some digestive issues, IBS probably, never diagnosed. Last time when I was at doctor's he just gave me some pills. I really want doctor, who will not only listen, but also tell me what is wrong with me.

I think I drank 5L of water today. :?
Lola

Day 5

Postby Lola » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:26 am

I had a headache all night, I felt weak and I was still thirsty. Now I am much better, more water I drink, the better I feel.

b-bananas+apple+flaxseed
l-green beans, brown rice
d-spinach, brown rice

Exercise: one long walk with dog, one short walk in town, push-ups, squats, abdominal exercise, butt exercise, back exercise
Last edited by Lola on Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lola

Day 6

Postby Lola » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:37 am

Excessive thirst is still present. I hope it soon disappears.
Today I already ate 3 apples, 2 small bananas and ground flaxseed.
Now I am having brown rice with tomato puree( I decided to add it today) and for dinner will be green beans and brown rice with tomato puree - it makes plain brown rice more juicy. :-)
I am eating so little compared to first days.
Lola

Day 7

Postby Lola » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:25 pm

b - banana, apples, flaxseed
s - basmati rice
l - green beans, brown rice with tomato puree
d - green beans, carrots, brown rice with tomato puree

I can't sleep (it's 2am) and I just ate 4 apples. I didn't eat enough today. I'm glad my appetite is back. I was worrying I am not getting enough calories for the last few days.

It was rainy all day so I couldn't go for a walk. :? Unless I consider walking around the grocery stores. :)

I think tomato puree is not good for my digestion. I had some cramps today and tomorrow is just elimination diet again.
Next week I will try collard greens. According to cronometer, I am not getting enough calcium and today I found out collard greens are high in calcium as in some other nutrients. Spinach and chard are high in calcium too, but I worry about oxalic acid and I think spinach slows down my digestion. I hope collard greens are OK and I can have them as the main green vegetable, because they are so full of nutrients. :)
Lola

Day 9

Postby Lola » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:55 am

Yesterday was my last day of elimination diet.. I couldn't take it anymore. Plain brown rice is good, but not if you are eating it all the time.
Now I am eating oatmeal cooked in water and it tastes so good. I already ate few bananas, 2 apples and flaxseed.
Lola

Postby Lola » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:58 am

I decided to stop counting calories, because I am too obsessed and this give me stress.

l-sauerkraut, brown rice
d- green beans, brown rice
s - 2 bananas, apple
Lola

Day 10

Postby Lola » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:23 am

I am not eating sauerkraut never again! :angry: Bloating, gas, smell... horrible!

b - apple, oatmeal with banana
s - 2 apples
l - green beans, brown rice+ 2tsp tomato puree
d - green beans, spinach, brown rice + 2tsp tomato puree

Exercise: jumping jacks, high-knee, push-ups, crunches, back, squats, butt lifts, 30min walk
Lola

Day 12

Postby Lola » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:43 am

Finally, after one week of raining, the sun comes out. 8)

Yesterday:
b - apple, oatmeal with banana and flaxseed
l - spinach, buckwheat
s - bananas+apples
d - green beans, brown rice
s - apple

Today:
b - oatmeal with banana
l - spinach, white potatoes, brown rice + tomato pasta
s - bananas with apple
d - bok choy, brown rice

Exercise: shopping :-), long walk
Lola

Postby Lola » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:28 pm

Yesterday I made some buckwheat muffins(recipe found on this board) with apples and they were OK, a little bitter, because of buckwheat and there should be more apples in them. I was just testing the recipe and today I make them with bananas and a little agave syrup. I add a lot of bananas to make them sweet and they were really good. :) I will omit agave syrup next time and just add bananas or more apples and some cinnamon.

Today I have some cramps and I am a little tired.
I made plain crispy smashed potatoes(recipe found on this board) today and this was the best potatoes I ever had. :-D

b - oatmeal with banana, two apple buckwheat muffins with one tsp honey
s - another muffin
l - bok choy, spinach, crispy smashed potatoes, white polenta, one banana buckwheat muffin
d - green beans, brown rice
Lola

Day 14

Postby Lola » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:04 am

I am happy I don't find it hard to stay on this diet. I can easily imagine that I will always ate this way. :) I just hope I will need to drink less water with time, when my digestion completely heals.
Still some cramps... But I think it's just because I forgot or don't have time to drink.

b - oatmeal+ 2 bananas
l - spinach, green beans, brown rice, baked white polenta
s - 2 bananas, 3 apples
d- carrots, brown rice
Lola

Postby Lola » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:39 pm

I didn't drink enough through the day, now my digestion is slow and I am slowly trying to fix that with water.

Exercise: 4 hours walking around town - student work
Lola

Postby fulenn » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:25 pm

Hi, Lola! Just wanted to stop by and welcome you to the boards!

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals