I Miss Bacon... and Pasta... and Olive Oil... and...

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

I Miss Bacon... and Pasta... and Olive Oil... and...

Postby iMissBacon » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:11 pm

... sugar... and coffee... and regular tea... and parmesan cheese... and veal parmesan... and wine... and tiramisu.... and...

The bacon I miss most is "Pancetta" (italian bacon) because I'm italian, and we put that sh*t in everything: sauces, soups, antipastos, etc.

And how, exactly, does an Italian become gluten-free? Which means pasta-free because any REAL italian knows pasta is supposed to be white, from semolina... not whole wheat, not whole grain, and never ever rice pasta!

So, while I'm giving up my favourite, crazy-delicious foods, and REALLY missing them - they're flavour, texture, smell - I miss feeling good and "normal" even more. Let me explain.

I have severe, debilitating panic disorder, which means I have full-blown panic attacks every day, sometimes several times a day. In addition, I have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) which my doctor said is due to my anxiety. So I have diarrhea a lot if I'm not careful, and sometimes constipation, and sometimes both... on the same day... even during the same bowel movement. Not fun.

So I did Dr. Fuhrman's diet for several months and... holy sh*t!!! Literally. His diet made my IBS MUCH worse. All his suggestions (eat more steamed vegetables, less beans to start with, chew thorougly, etc) did not make a difference. But I did lose 10 lbs the first two weeks (who wouldn't? living in the bathroom).

Then I switched to Dr. McDougall's plan, but the diarrhea still continued, although nowhere near as bad as when on Dr. Fuhrman's plan. Even if eating right makes me live a long time, I don't want to spend half those years in the bathroom! So I emailed Dr. McDougall.

To my surprise he replied! :eek: Quickly and very thoroughly. I couldn't believe it because with Dr. Fuhrman, you have to pay for EVERY-little-thing!

Dr. McDougall suggested, among other things, that I cut out gluten. So, today is the first day I'm attempting to be The Gluten-Free Italian and we'll see how that goes.

I can't say I'm liking this way of eating because, compared to my Italian food, this is very bland. But, I have to decide: What do I want? Amazing tasting food or my health? I choose health: physical and emotional. So I'm on board with all of Dr. McDougall's recommendation and I'm going to succeed, dammit!

All the anti-anxiety medications in the world haven't helped at all. In fact, the side-effects make everything much worse. And not one doctor/therapist ever suggested a change in my diet, even though, common sense dictates that food affects mood. There's even a book out by that title, I think. Of course what we put into our bodies affects our brain, our mental health! Duh! Why don't doctors know this?!!!

Anyway, here I am.... gluten-free and all (but I'm not liking it... yet). I'm hoping to report back, in the near future, that I'm panic attack free and IBS free. THAT would be worth giving up everything italian.
iMissBacon

Re: I Miss Bacon... and Pasta... and Olive Oil... and...

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:29 pm

Hello there

sorry about your IBS difficulties. I have it, too and McDougalling made it SO MUCH better. The only time I suffer now is if I eat anything dairy.

As for "bland"...honey, have you tried Indian cuisine? a lot of recipes at this link: http://vegweb.com/index.php?board=473.0

because THAT stuff is delicious and not bland at all. And you can eat all of it with zero wheat/gluten. Well, Indian foods do include some breads that are wheat based, but you don't have to eat those. I have my Indian foods with rice, or nothing, as many of them such as aloo gobi are rich in starches already.

A favorite Mediterranean dish that I love is Ratatouille. It is very flavorful with eggplant, zucchini, onion, tomato, garlic and Italian seasonings...and I eat it over rice, not pasta.

You'll find a way to do this. :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby afreespirit » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:11 pm

Welcome to the forum imissbacon! This food can taste amazing too but there is an adjustment period. It is true that for most of us it will never have the "party in your mouth" appeal of the old food, but that appeal comes with a terrible price. After a time you will begin to crave your new favorites.

Give this way of eating a chance and you will never be sorry. And many here find it gives an emotional and psychological steadiness, not to mention the physical benefits. I just can't say enough good things about it. Remember, adherence over time will get you there. Give your body time to heal.

Hang in there and keep us updated.

PS--As you discovered, Dr McDougall isn't in it for the money. :)
afreespirit

Postby Caroveggie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:18 pm

McDougallers came together and created a McDougall wiki for newcomers. There's a page on there for rumbly tummy: http://mcdougall-friendly-recipes.pbwor ... umblyTummy which has a lot of good information.

Have you tried some good probiotics? These are different than the ones you'd get to help you digest dairy. When I first became vegan I got some probiotic pills for Sensitive Colon Support and it really helped me. They were sold at the health food store in a refrigerated section.

Dr. McDougall has also written some articles about it (I think they're linked above) and he has a good book called The Digestive Tune Up which includes coverage about IBS and related issues.

I know you miss foods ~ everyone does ~ but you'd be surprised how much you'll start to enjoy this way of eating as your health improves and you try new recipes.

Good luck!
Caroveggie

Postby kirstykay » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:00 pm

The first time I went grocery shopping after changing to this lifestyle, I literally cried...like a fool...standing there, looking at all the things I could no longer buy and eat, and feeling so out of my comfort zone thinking to myself that I just might DIE if I have to give so much up...

I know how you feel. It gets better. A LOT better! You can enjoy eating this way, and the health benefits totally outweigh the initial adjustment. But don't think for a moment that you'll never enjoy food again! Just do some experimenting, give yourself some time, find a couple recipes that you REALLY like, and build from there.

Just a couple weeks ago, I was standing in a dressing room trying on size 12 jeans (I was formerly a 22/24), they fit perfectly and looked GOOD, and I cried again! I am here to tell you, the second cry was worth the first!

Best of luck to you. Don't give up. You won't be sorry!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby fulenn » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:48 pm

Welcome, iMissBacon! Your taste buds will begin to change and you will find new ways to cook food and even new foods that will begin to taste mouth watering to you. Really. :)

bunsofaluminum is right about Indian cuisine. You will find some wonderful flavors that you can fix and be McDougalling at the same time.

Good luck!
Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby giddyupgin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:05 pm

I would always say before ...I could never become a Vegan as I love bacon too much...well now..I think of the study they did when people ate a fat meal and the difference in blood flow instantly that happens...or doesn't happen as it slooowwwss it down and I think of all the stroke patients I have had to care for over all these years and now wonder.......TIA's......an event trying to become a stroke......what were they eating just moments before.....?
Have a great ride as we ride through life...
from giddy up gin <^__~~ Wooo....hooo...

http://www.windowpanearts.blogspot.com
http://www.giddyupgin.blogspot.com
giddyupgin

Postby giddyupgin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:09 pm

Have a great ride as we ride through life...
from giddy up gin <^__~~ Wooo....hooo...

http://www.windowpanearts.blogspot.com
http://www.giddyupgin.blogspot.com
giddyupgin

Postby iMissBacon » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:45 pm

Thank you everybody for welcoming me and for all your suggestions and encouragement. I already LOVE this place!
iMissBacon

Postby afreespirit » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:58 pm

Pretty soon you might not even miss bacon anymore. ;)
afreespirit

Postby Gramma Jackie » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:36 pm

I too can't eat gluten. When I do slip up and eat it (like recently when I ate some cookies) I find myself almost chained to the toilet. I have to ask myself, which I prefer, to give up some of my favorite foods or be in the throne room all day long. I have found that sticking to the Maximum Weight Loss plan which doesn't allow flour the best solution to my digestive problems. There is still a lot you can eat. You can use spagehetti squash as a substitute for pasta and make fat free spaghetti sauce to go on top. I make ratatouille all the time. It is very flavorful with a rich tomato taste. I also make minestrone a lot. Although I don't miss meat anymore, I do still miss bread and cheese. But when I do slip up and eat it I am sick as a dog with alternating constipation/diarrhea. So it's a choice. I have found that I can't have it all, but I can still have a happy life with good food----just different food. I have two of Dr. and Mrs. McDougall's cookbooks and they have some great recipes.-Just don't cook the ones with pasta or bread. There are also a lot of great recipes in his Maximum Weight Loss book (see the link to my Maximum Weight Loss Meals below at the bottom of my post) and you can find even more recipes in the Food section on this blog. Good luck to you.
Gramma Jackie

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning