Getting Real & Getting It Done!!

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Getting Real & Getting It Done!!

Postby jamietwo » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:49 am

I started reading your story on this page - awesome job with the sushi!

Regarding your kale and raisin dish - that is so easy to make at home sauteed in water (although I always water-saute my onions until brown then add the greens. My son likes it with raisins and walnuts. I prefer just onions and greens (kale, collards, lacinato kale). Its one of my staples eaten over brown rice.

Thanks for posting the gf muffin recipe - I'm always on the lookout for high calorie density foods for my son!

Congrats on your declining numbers! :)

ETA: I see this post began a new page, so obviously I started reading on the previous page! LOL!
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby Pacificfords » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:15 am

Thank you Jamie. :)

Kale is one of the things I have only attempted to cook once. I didn't like it so I didn't try again. Obviously I did something wrong because it was absolutely delicious when I had it recently. :) I will have to try again.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
http://healthyandknowit2012.blogspot.com/
Pacificfords

Postby Pacificfords » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:07 am

I'm beginning to see why I have failed so many times to stay 100% compliant on a plant based diet. The people around me just can't handle it and they go out of their way to push me out of my "phase." It really does make other people uncomfortable when you change and go against the grain of what is typical.

I find that people:
apologize more... "so sorry to eat this in front of you, but..."
taunt more... "you are such a vegan nazi..."
fear more... "there is no way that can be healthy for you..."
tease more... "did you want a bail of hay with that..."
push more... "oh c'mon... one bite won't hurt you..."
guilt more... "I went out of my way to get this for you..."
justify more... "I have to eat meat/dairy because..."
complain more... "This isn't normal, why can't you just..."
compare more... "I hope you get over this soon, like last time..."
hurt more... "you know you won't stick with it, so just get over it..."

(all things people have said to me in the last couple weeks)

I really thought people would embrace my journey to good health, especially when they see the positive results. No. No one cares. It just makes them uncomfortable. The ONLY people that care are the people on the same path. Those are few.

I don't even talk about what I am doing anymore. I just quietly do it. Yet... it still makes people uncomfortable when you don't conform or when they see you pass on eating or drinking. I sometimes think it would be easier during the holidays to simply disappear for a while and not entertain or go to people's parties and dinners. The gifts are the worst. I feel bad re-gifting things or giving things away that people have spent time and money getting for me, but I refuse to eat any crappy, non-compliant foods and why would they buy me those foods? Because I have failed to stay with one thing so many times in the past that they expect me to fail this time and they are helping me get past my phase! *sigh*

This was a rough week. I have had a few slips and a few moments of wanting to just give up towards the end of the week. But I feel too good to let go of what I am doing. With each day I feel more confidence, strength, and energy. I have not eaten any meat at all... and I think I used parm cheese once in a Risotto I made for my family, but other than that - no dairy either. A piece of organic dark chocolate here or there... and things like baked chips and salsa or hummus and rice crackers. None of those things would be horribly bad if I was at my goal weight, but I really want to achieve my goal. The harder part is the people around me. I really have to learn to cope with them and let their opinions, attitudes and comments just roll off my back.

My scale arrives this week. I am anxious to see what it says. The weekends seem harder than the weekdays.... so I can totally get my focus back and keep on track. I really don't feel like I have gone off track. It is just that mental game of 100% compliance versus 90% or 80%. Whatever I do... I continue to make myself healthier, so I can't think of the word "failure" at all. :D
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby jamietwo » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:13 pm

It IS hard going against the "norm". If I am invited out to eat, I generally eat first, and just go to visit. I take my own food if I go to someone else's house for a meal. My motivation in eating this way is for me ... and for my son. I want to be around and healthy long enough to raise him!
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby nicoles » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:31 pm

Pacificfords wrote:My wedding ring fell off today. :D I rescued it, but I am going to have to put it away for now. I figure there is no point in getting it re-sized until I get to my goal. I've also noticed my bracelets are very loose.

You know it's working when the rings start falling off - no elastic in precious metals! :lol:

Pacificfords, I just caught up on your journal, and you are doing so great! I also admire your ability to just have water at the sushi place - been there too, and it ain't easy! Especially not when your SO decides to stay and eat. (But it is also better not to fight when you know it all be fine once you eat :))
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:33 pm

Pacificfords wrote:I'm beginning to see why I have failed so many times to stay 100% compliant on a plant based diet. The people around me just can't handle it and they go out of their way to push me out of my "phase." It really does make other people uncomfortable when you change and go against the grain of what is typical.

I find that people:
apologize more... "so sorry to eat this in front of you, but..."
taunt more... "you are such a vegan nazi..."
fear more... "there is no way that can be healthy for you..."
tease more... "did you want a bail of hay with that..."
push more... "oh c'mon... one bite won't hurt you..."
guilt more... "I went out of my way to get this for you..."
justify more... "I have to eat meat/dairy because..."
complain more... "This isn't normal, why can't you just..."
compare more... "I hope you get over this soon, like last time..."
hurt more... "you know you won't stick with it, so just get over it..."

(all things people have said to me in the last couple weeks)

I really thought people would embrace my journey to good health, especially when they see the positive results. No. No one cares. It just makes them uncomfortable. The ONLY people that care are the people on the same path. Those are few.

I have had the same experience.Heard all the same comments. Even though I am doing this for my health, as are you and doing great. I really start to see the general world as truly addicted to SAD eating.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:36 pm

jamietwo wrote:It IS hard going against the "norm". If I am invited out to eat, I generally eat first, and just go to visit. I take my own food if I go to someone else's house for a meal. My motivation in eating this way is for me ... and for my son. I want to be around and healthy long enough to raise him!

Exactly, jamietwo! Socializing is about the company, not the food. Food is about taking care of ourselves. If they can both exist at the same time, great! If not, I eat ahead of time.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Pacificfords » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:08 am

jamietwo & nicoles ~ you are both so right. Eating should be to nourish the body, not to socialize. It has definitely become a huge part of socializing in our world today. I guess it somehow makes other people feel guilty because I notice many wanting to push me back into the "comfort zone" of eating whatever ~ so THEY feel better, without me even saying a word. Crazy!

Yesterday I added exercise to my daily routine. I have this amazing Bob Harper walking video... which I love. I haven't touched it for months and months because I simply didn't have the energy. I tried it yesterday and surprised myself be not only getting through the entire video without stopping, but actually enjoying it. It will be part of my day now. I haven't exercised in so long. It felt amazing!
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby Pacificfords » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:29 pm

I got my labs back today and I was incredibly happy with the numbers.

They are the BEST labs I have seen in a year.

My kidney function was slightly improved, but still holding in the general area. Other than anemia ~ almost all my other numbers are back to normal. Pretty exciting.

This was my first cholesterol test that I know of, ever. My cholesterol was 161. My Triglycerides 119. My HDL was 34 and my LDL was 103. According to the lab the HDL is low and the LDL is too high. Overall I know I need to get my cholesterol to 150 or under. :) I am feeling good about the numbers, but I will be interested to see what my nephrologist says next week. :)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby janluvs2heel » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:58 pm

That is great news!!! I am so happy for you.

I like that you are keeping a positive outlook. You can only do what you can do. I saw someone's post in the Health thread, that you will continue to go downhill, because the kidneys do not re-generate, etc. But there are all kinds of stories about people who beat the odds, whether it is diet related or just a miracle, it happens. It is far better to be positive than negative.

I think it is great that you have embraced this way of eating & are doing what you can to overcome your health issues. I think that is what we all strive to do, right?

I wish you continued success.
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby kirstykay » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:20 pm

Great test results!! It's nice to get confirmation that you really are improving your health in addition to seeing other great results. Hang in there...once you blow everyone away with your success, they'll be eating their words! You are a strong woman, and you're going to do this all the way!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby nicoles » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:24 pm

Wonderful update, and great numbers Pacificfords! I am sure there are more healthy updates in your future :-D

And in regards to the kidney tests and whether or not it can improve - I don't know - but I certainly hope so.

I often think that what the medical community thinks of as "impossible" might really be "outside the realm of their experience."

At any rate, it cannot hurt to give it your best shot!

My Journal
nicoles

Postby f1jim » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Excellent news! Great work doing everything you can.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Melinda » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:00 pm

Wonderful news Pacificfords! All the best to you as you continue along your journey!
Melinda

Postby Pacificfords » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:20 am

janluvs2heel wrote:That is great news!!! I am so happy for you.

I like that you are keeping a positive outlook. You can only do what you can do. I saw someone's post in the Health thread, that you will continue to go downhill, because the kidneys do not re-generate, etc. But there are all kinds of stories about people who beat the odds, whether it is diet related or just a miracle, it happens. It is far better to be positive than negative.

I think it is great that you have embraced this way of eating & are doing what you can to overcome your health issues. I think that is what we all strive to do, right?

I wish you continued success.

Thank you Jan :) When I was first diagnosed, there were many that had the negative outlook. I even had someone get mad at me and ask "why are you trying so hard, just go on dialysis and eat what you want." It is true that if the kidneys are scarred, they do not regenerate... but in my case, they aren't even sure they are scarred and if they are, how much. It could be an issue of inflammation. There are too many unknowns for me to "accept" my fate at this point. I keep hope strong, not sure where things could go and always knowing that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. :)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals