Getting Real & Getting It Done!!

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Getting Real & Getting It Done!!

Postby Pacificfords » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:05 pm

I was reading a journal I made last year at almost exactly the same time... (five days earlier). It was entitled ~50 Days~ and I was determined to be successful on a plant based diet. My weight at that time was 317.

This past year I have been successful in many ways with maintaining my kidney disease, but my eating patterns are inconsistent. I am very strict at times and then slip and slide a bit ~ always remaining gluten free because of my Celiac Disease and keeping the renal diet in mind to protect my kidneys from further damage, but not always staying away from animal proteins and fats. It seems much like a roller coaster at times. I am living the most healthy patterns I have experienced in my life, yet... not at all where I wish I was.

I am a perfectionist. I hate coming here and looking like a failure more than anything. I want to be perfect at this. I just have to get real with myself. My weight at this moment is 21 pounds less than last year at this time. I am so proud to be in the 200's for the first time in nearly 15 years and staying there. However, I expected to be in a much different place and another entire year of my life has gone by, but I am still technically "obese." While I love that I am not gaining and that I am maintaining my kidney health... and even experiencing a bit of weight loss ~ I am certainly not winning any awards for dedication and consistency on a eating a plant based diet!

It is my goal over the next day, weeks and months to escape the roller coaster patterns and buckle down! I want to create habits that will take solid hold in my life so that I can experience even greater success. I don't really want to waste one more year or even one more day!!

I want to add that I am extremely happy to see a Star McDougaller Forum and I plan on spending a majority of my time there ~ just watching and listening! ;)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
http://healthyandknowit2012.blogspot.com/
Pacificfords

Re: Getting Real & Getting It Done!!

Postby Katydid » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:30 pm

The only way to fail at this is to quit. Slip-ups and backsliding are a natural - and perhaps even necessary - part of the learning curve. Old habits die hard. Give yourself time and forgiveness. You are worth the effort. Don't worry about perfection. Worry about consistency. Good luck.
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby Pacificfords » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:37 pm

Katydid wrote:The only way to fail at this is to quit. Slip-ups and backsliding are a natural - and perhaps even necessary - part of the learning curve. Old habits die hard. Give yourself time and forgiveness. You are worth the effort. Don't worry about perfection. Worry about consistency. Good luck.
Kate

Thanks Kate! Love your story. Had to go read it again... very inspiring. I appreciate your words of encouragement. I feel like I have been on this hamster wheel for years. Consistency is definitely my goal. :)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby fulenn » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:41 pm

So glad to hear that the 21lbs is off and staying off. There are a lot of years that I would have traded all of my xmas and bday gifts for that.

Keep up the good work!

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby nomikins » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:31 am

Welcome back! I'm right there with you, new start and all.
nomikins

Postby KareninTN » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:30 am

We all have our moments of making poor choices; the point is to always begin again. Today is always a new day. Congratulations on your success thus far!

Karen
McDougalling since summer, 2005. Maintaining my 100 pound weight loss since summer, 2007. My Star McDougaller stories: video written
KareninTN

Postby Pacificfords » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:30 am

Fulenn ~ Thank you. I do have to say that I am grateful for ANY weight loss in my life as time goes by. I know what you mean. ;)

nomkins ~ Thank you... I am eager to get it right. That is for sure. My next super huge goal is 250... a weight I don't think I have seen since junior high school. :)

Karen ~ That is the most important thing I need to learn. I am an all or nothing type person. I am forced to be quite a bit better now because i am gluten free, but I feel like I have been having way too many slip ups this past year and my success reflects that. Hopefully this new year will be the ONE in which I really make some permanent changes. :)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby Pacificfords » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:19 pm

I realize as I look at the title of this journal that the "Getting It Done" part is a little off target. I will never be done with this lifestyle. I think I meant "getting to my goal weight." Which made me think once again that I am focusing too much on that. I really need to just get down to basics and focus on the food that goes into my mouth and the way my body feels.

Today was outstanding. I have enjoyed the wisdom and advice of the Star McDougallers. I really want to get that tunnel vision and focus. They have given me some things to really think about and I am putting what I can into practice immediately. One day at a time... one bite at a time.

I didn't eat enough food today, but I wasn't that hungry, so I feel like I was good to myself. Breakfast was crazy because I realized that my new bag of Bob's Red Mill Oats is not gluten free. I always thought that all his oats were gluten free, but my step-dad corrected me on that. There are two different places that he processes from... one gluten free and one not. Glad I figured that out before I ate them. My focus is strong.

Watched Forks over Knives yesterday and LOVED it. Totally lit a fire under me. I really believe that knowledge is powerful! I love learning.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby f1jim » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:25 pm

"Watched Forks over Knives yesterday and LOVED it. Totally lit a fire under me. I really believe that knowledge is powerful! I love learning."

I am amazed at the number of people affected by this movie. Celebrities, politicians, athletes. It seems some new name is mentioning it's influence every day in the news. Many of our newer members heard about this way of eating from the movie. Your reaction is the same one many people have when they see it.
I too thought it was powerful. Maybe more powerful than the book. It seems to lend itself to the visual side.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Pacificfords » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:41 pm

f1jim wrote:I too thought it was powerful. Maybe more powerful than the book. It seems to lend itself to the visual side.
f1jim

The visual aspect was incredibly powerful for me. Two things jumped right out at me. One was the radiant health of the doctors. They honestly looked amazing for their age. The second was the segment on osteoporosis. I have heard of it and I am even very highly at risk for it because of my kidney disease, but I have never seen what it actually does to the bones. I was horrified and went from "hoping" I don't get it to doing everything in my power to make sure I don't get it.

I plan on watching it a couple more times and sharing it with family and friends.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby Pacificfords » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:30 am

One of the challenges I am having is making changes when my husband is not interesting in making changes. That can be very difficult in a relationship for various reasons. In my life it definitely causes a disconnect at some level when a very social and fun aspect of marriage can be food.... going out to eat together, going to movies (popcorn and such), etc. I realize how much food has been at the forefront of what we do because we are both caught in the pleasure trap. Food is pleasure... therefore we spend much time planning, eating and giving it attention. I have been pondering this for a long time and trying to create change in that respect. It is hard to change lifelong habits that are not just about eating unhealthy food, but actually giving food a very important place... rather... living to eat.

On a side note, I am not sure if my husband sensed my frustration or just sees how happy I am when I am focused and eating healthy. He was eating his typical breakfast (a ham sandwich loaded with mayo and cheese) and I was eating my healthy breakfast and really enjoying myself. He said something to the effect of... "I love you and I want to see you succeed on this, so I want to eat whatever you would like to fix for dinner and I will take care of my breakfast and lunches and not eat those unhealthy foods in front of you."

I was a bit surprised because I hadn't even attempted to discuss it yet. I was just quietly doing my thing. I am learning to be more quiet and active... in comparison to talking so much about it and then not following through. It is a good lesson for me. I just thanked him and didn't make a big production out of it like I probably usually would.

It was an incredibly positive experience for me because I don't want this to be a fight anymore. I just want it to BE. :) I realize how much of that was because I was trying too hard to discuss it and not trying hard enough to implement it in positive ways.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby WeeSpeck » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:24 pm

Your self-discovery and response to your husband resonates with me. It takes grace, courage and self-respect to travel this path in light of all the conflicting marketing, well-meaning loved ones and our own transition from illness to health.

This moment you documented with your husband is a big one! It is great that he is becoming tuned to your endeavors. What I see as even greater is your quiet acceptance of who he is and your own self-respect that makes you stronger every day.

So hard to reach that point of grace! Very inspiring. Thank you for sharing.
--\--@ Nancy @--/--

I am but a wee speck in the big picture of the universe.
WeeSpeck

Postby Pacificfords » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:22 pm

Thank you WeeSpeck. :) It certainly feels good to move forward and gain wisdom in the process of life.

Today was outstanding, so I thought I would just post a bit before I fall into bed. I spent the day with my organic vegan sister and her family. She has been ultra healthy for years... and has encouraged me along the way. In an effort to help me be successful, we spent the day making recipes and taste testing... all McDougall friendly stuff and wow... what a fun and delicious day. Homemade salsa and hummus with fresh veggies, a really amazing brown rice and corn salad, spring rolls made with veggies and rice wrappers, and some great home canned fruit (no added sugar). She is truly an amazing and gifted cook when it comes to making healthy delicious food.

She sent home lots of the leftovers with me and so I am pretty set for a few days with really delicious stuff. It was just so fun to chop and dice and go through recipes... I made a recipe book while I was there, so I can have great recipes at my fingertips. She has a huge library of books including many of McDougall's books, so I borrowed. :) It is great having all the free information online, but it was even better to see the books for the first time. I am reading the MWL Book first.

What I loved the most was the realization that, once I build habits, these recipes will become natural. In the past, I have kept it so simple that it seemed kind of boring to me, but it was because I really know little about how to combine seasonings. I am learning... :)

Oh... and I almost forgot the centerpiece of the day was watching a movie together. It was called The Rave Diet and Lifestyle... it was fantastic and the information was incredible. I learned much. If you haven't seen it, you should check it out. Dr. Esselstyn is in the video as well. It fascinates me how many people can market a plant based diet under different names, but they are all basically saying the same thing. ;)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby Pacificfords » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:42 am

~Today's Favorite Recipe~

Rice and Bean Salad (from my sister)

2 cups cooked brown rice, cooled
1/3 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
2-4 cloves of garlic, pressed
1-2 jalepeno peppers
2-4 scallions
1 can beans (any variety that you enjoy)
1 - 4oz can of chilies
1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped (optional)
1 cup corn (or other favorite veggie)

Mix all together! Even better the second day :)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby f1jim » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:27 am

Now that's jazzing the rice!
Sounds wonderful.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals