I'm McDoing It! One Day at a Time.

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

I'm McDoing It! One Day at a Time.

Postby Chris_Alice » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:10 am

DAY 1

Having spent the weekend preparing (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=25736), today I am officially McDoing it!

Well, it's only 10:00 am and already I have a STRONG craving for my usual cup of morning coffee. To be expected. Hope I don't give in ON THE FIRST DAY! That would suck. Big time.

Following the doctor's 12-day menu, I discovered that oatmeal tastes like warm, gooey, slop. Yuk. Again, not a good start.

Oh well, it can only get better. I stuck to Fuhrman's plan for a couple of months, I can certainly stick with this.

On a positive note, I took a brisk 1-hour walk. That was nice. I enjoyed it. Definitely going to make that part of my regular morning routine.

Not a great start but, hey, it is what it is. I. CAN. DO. THIS. DAMMIT.
Last edited by Chris_Alice on Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris_Alice

Re: I'm McDoing It !

Postby toadfood » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:23 am

This sounds like a great start to me. I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit.

If you don't like oatmeal, don't eat it! Try the other breakfast ideas, or eat lunch/dinner food for breakfast.

Keep up the good work!

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Postby Rosey » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:16 am

Chris_Alice wrote:DAY 1

Having spent the weekend preparing (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=25736), today I am officially McDoing it!

Well, it's only 10:00 am and already I have a STRONG craving for my usual cup of morning coffee. To be expected. Hope I don't give in ON THE FIRST DAY! That would suck. Big time.

Following the doctor's 12-day menu, I discovered that oatmeal tastes like warm, gooey, slop. Yuk. Again, not a good start.

Oh well, it can only get better. I stuck to Fuhrman's plan for a couple of months, I can certainly stick with this.

On a positive note, I took a brisk 1-hour walk. That was nice. I enjoyed it. Definitely going to make that part of my regular morning routine.

Not a great start but, hey, it is what it is. I. CAN. DO. THIS. DAMMIT.

I agree on the oatmeal that's why I put my oatmeal in a bowl and pour hot water over it from my tea kettle instead. and add blueberries to it.
Rosey

Postby blondie » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:35 am

Agree with Rosey and toadfood about the oatmeal. I put mine in a bowl with banana or blueberry and pour boiling water over it and eat it when the water is all absorbed. But if you don't like oatmeal, have something else.

The 12 day recipes are provided to give you ideas, but you can do what works for you, within the guidelines of the program. (Starch based whole foods with plenty of veggies, a few servings of fruit, and no oil.) Some people enjoy sweet potatoes and fruit for breakfast, others make dry-fried hashbrowns in a non-stick skillet, others have savory dinner type food.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
311 all-time highest weight. Began McDougall plan at 300 lb. on 2/9/2011.
blondie

Postby Dendra » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:32 am

Although I often ate oatmeal for breakfast pre-plan, I found it rarely satisifed me for long. YMMV of course.

These days I'm settling in on cooked grains (mostly brown rice) and a great variety of steamed veggies with some sort of salt flavoring, served warm. Very good and satisfying.
Dendra

Postby Chris_Alice » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:41 am

Thanks everybody for your comments, suggestions, and support. I appreciate it, and need it!

Lunch - I just had a big bowl of the hearty minestrone soup I made yesterday, and an apple. Very filling, very satisfying, in every way.

Still no coffee, and at this point in the day I don't even want one anymore. Yay!
Chris_Alice

Postby janluvs2heel » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:55 am

Chris_Alice wrote:Thanks everybody for your comments, suggestions, and support. I appreciate it, and need it!

Lunch - I just had a big bowl of the hearty minestrone soup I made yesterday, and an apple. Very filling, very satisfying, in every way.

Still no coffee, and at this point in the day I don't even want one anymore. Yay!

I have given up coffee more times than I hate to admit. I never even drank it until I was in my 40's & commuting. But this last time I gave it up, it seems okay. I thought once the weather got cooler that I would start wanting it again, & even though I do on occassion think it would taste good, I dont use it anymore. I did have a cup a few wks ago but it just didn't taste the same. Now when I think about it, it is with distaste so we'll see. I wish I liked tea but it just doesn't appeal to me.

Good luck with everything else as well, looks like you are on the right track.
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby Melinda » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:02 pm

I have developed a fondness for warmed up frozen blueberries, sliced banana, uncooked rolled oats, and cinnamon with a litttle almond milk. I prefer it to cooked oatmeal.
Melinda

Postby Chris_Alice » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:28 pm

janluvs2heel wrote: I have given up coffee more times than I hate to admit. I never even drank it until I was in my 40's & commuting. But this last time I gave it up, it seems okay. I thought once the weather got cooler that I would start wanting it again, & even though I do on occassion think it would taste good, I dont use it anymore. I did have a cup a few wks ago but it just didn't taste the same. Now when I think about it, it is with distaste so we'll see. I wish I liked tea but it just doesn't appeal to me.

Good luck with everything else as well, looks like you are on the right track.

Thank you. Is black tea okay on this diet? Switching to tea might work for me.
Chris_Alice

Postby Chris_Alice » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:30 pm

Melinda wrote:I have developed a fondness for warmed up frozen blueberries, sliced banana, uncooked rolled oats, and cinnamon with a litttle almond milk. I prefer it to cooked oatmeal.

So the only thing warm is the frozen blueberries? Am I understanding correctly?
Chris_Alice

Postby fulenn » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:29 pm

Good job making it past coffee time. I missed drinking a warm drink in the mornings, so now I have Rooibus tea or teeccino.

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby Chris_Alice » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:29 pm

fulenn wrote:Good job making it past coffee time. I missed drinking a warm drink in the mornings, so now I have Rooibus tea or teeccino.

Thank you!

I like chamomile tea, so I'm going to try that instead of coffee.
Chris_Alice

Postby Chris_Alice » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:40 am

So I got through Day 1. Had a salad and an apple for dinner.

Got through the day without coffee. Yay me.

I REALLY want a coffee this morning. I want one more today than I did yesterday. I need a different morning routine. For years, after waking, I would walk down the street to this quaint little gourmet bakery that has the most delicious coffee blend EVERRRR! I would walk back, sipping on my warm, sinfully delicious cup of brew complete with cream and sugar, get home and listen to the news and drink my coffee before getting ready for my day. I miss that already. Not just the coffee but the whole routine. And it's only day 2! Ugh.

I managed to give up this routine while I was on Fuhrman's plan, but the daily diarrhea made the thought of coffee nauseating. When I went off it and back to my old ways, I picked up my moringing coffee habit again, and immediately it was as if I had never stopped. Funny how addictions work. Sigh.
Chris_Alice

Re: I'm McDoing It! One Day at a Time.

Postby wife2abadge » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:54 am

If you dislike oatmeal's texture, you might try steel cut oats. They have a drier texture than old fashioned or quick. They can be time consuming to cook, but not if you soak them overnight -- or bring them to a boil for 1 minute the night before eating them and then letting them soak. They only take 10 min to cook that way. You might also try barley. It has a chewier texture than oats.
Susan
wife2abadge

Re: I'm McDoing It! One Day at a Time.

Postby Dissolution » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:44 am

I agree with Wife2abadge,

I used to kinda of like oatmeal (instant), then I saw a show (Good Eats) and the host had a segment on Steel Cut oats, wow what a difference. The best place to get them is your local health food store, generally $1.50 to $1.75 a pound in bulk.

Steel Cut oats are so different from the instant it's like they're not even the same food.

Mushy <---Instant---Quick---Old Fashioned-------Steel Cut---> Chewy

There's lots of ways to cook them, soaking, overnight in a crock pot with fruit. My current method is just to make 3 or 4 servings at a time (4 to 1 water to oat ratio and cook for 30 minutes) and divide it up into bowls to put in the fridge. The next morning add a little water and microwave.
Dissolution

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning