I'm McDoing It! One Day at a Time.

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: I'm McDoing It! One Day at a Time.

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:36 am

Hey there

I feel ya on the coffee. Sounds like you've done it before, though, giving it up. And I agree: the routine is as delicious as the drink. Try the black tea. It may help with caffeine, but a much milder form and not as damaging to your system.

You can do this. Sorry to hear about the oatmeal. Something else is out there, agreeable and delicious to your tastebuds! :lol:

so keep on going. I can hardly wait to see your success, as you come around and begin seeing the amazing benefits of energy and wellness that comes from McDougalling!

JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Chris_Alice » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:46 pm

wife2abadge wrote:If you dislike oatmeal's texture, you might try steel cut oats. They have a drier texture than old fashioned or quick. They can be time consuming to cook, but not if you soak them overnight -- or bring them to a boil for 1 minute the night before eating them and then letting them soak. They only take 10 min to cook that way. You might also try barley. It has a chewier texture than oats.

I'll give those a try - thanks!
Chris_Alice

Postby Chris_Alice » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:48 pm

Dissolution wrote: There's lots of ways to cook them, soaking, overnight in a crock pot with fruit. My current method is just to make 3 or 4 servings at a time (4 to 1 water to oat ratio and cook for 30 minutes) and divide it up into bowls to put in the fridge. The next morning add a little water and microwave.

Sounds easy enough - will give it a try. Thank you!
Chris_Alice

Postby Chris_Alice » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:51 pm

bunsofaluminum wrote:Hey there

I feel ya on the coffee. Sounds like you've done it before, though, giving it up. And I agree: the routine is as delicious as the drink. Try the black tea. It may help with caffeine, but a much milder form and not as damaging to your system.

You can do this. Sorry to hear about the oatmeal. Something else is out there, agreeable and delicious to your tastebuds! :lol:

so keep on going. I can hardly wait to see your success, as you come around and begin seeing the amazing benefits of energy and wellness that comes from McDougalling!

Thank you very much!

Yeah, I was thinking of switching to tea. I like tea... and it doesn't make me "crazy" like coffee does (so then why am I hooked on coffee? :? )
Chris_Alice

Postby Chris_Alice » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:18 pm

So today - DAY 2 - went very well, in spite of my strong urge for coffee. I didn't give in though. I find that if I can get through the morning, by afternoon my craving is pretty much gone.

Today I had a banana and an orange for breakfast. Lunch was brown rice with steamed broccoli. Dinner was a salad (baby field greens, tomato, red onion, cucumber, 1/2 cup of chick peas. Salad dressing was a simple squeeze of fresh lemon, fresh minced garlic, and black pepper. And for dessert - grapes!

My tummy is VERY happy! Unlike Dr. F's plan that gave me horrendous diarrhea for a month+ (detoxing my @$$), Dr. McD's diet seems to be agreeing with me! I know it's only Day 2 but this is a very good start. No "toxic hunger" (whatever that is), no crazy cravings all day long, no weird stomach rumblings, no being hungry an hour after eating, no headache, no running at the speed of light to the bathroom, no feeling like I have some flu from the tenth level of hell.

It's nice to feel.... well.... good, for a change.

I also noticed that my mood is very calm (I suffer from Anxiety Disorder). I feel, um, balanced, I guess is the best way to describe it.

Tomorrow morning I will allow myself to have a small black tea to see if that curbs my coffee craving.
Chris_Alice

Postby Chris_Alice » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:09 am

DAY 3

Maybe it's psychological, but I feel grrreat! Had the first good night's sleep in years. Didn't wake up at all, woke up refreshed (for a change).

This morning I had a small black tea with a squeeze of lemon and 1/2 tsp honey. This seems to have satisfied my craving for coffee. Probably because it allowed me to hold on to my regualar morning routine: Walking to my favourite bakery on the corner, but instead of getting a coffee, got a tea. Then walked for an hour while I sipped my delicious and very satisfying tea.

For breakfast I had steal cut oats and fruit. You guys were right! These oats are much better than the regular - love them!
Chris_Alice

Postby fulenn » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:58 pm

Glad the day started out so well! I don't think it's psychological. Of course you feel better, sleeping better and putting good food into your body is going to make you feel better. :)

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby Dissolution » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:55 pm

If we could just "trick" everyone we cared about into trying this WOE for 3 or 4 days, I think many would stick with it, because you just feel so much better.

Glad it's starting off well for you and glad you like the steel cut oats.
Dissolution

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning