The Story Continues.....

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

The Story Continues.....

Postby onceagain » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:25 pm

Hello Everyone,

So there are a few reasons why I am starting this journal, but first I want to explain how I got here....again.

Back in February 2008 my story was featured on this website. It was a very proud moment for me considering up to that point most of the things I had done were nothing to be proud of. That night my mom called and she seemed to be happy for me, but in the middle of the conversation she brought up the worst mistake I made in my life, one that I still pay for to this day. So what I took from that was no matter what I accomplished I will always be looked at through that mistake, it is very disheartening to believe that.

So as the weeks progressed I cared less and less about being and eating healthy. By the end of the year my doctor felt I was decompensating and switched my medication around.

Next thing I knew I was ravenous and nothing could sate my hunger. I was eating everything and none of it very good. I watched as all the weight I had lost came back, and I felt helpless to do anything about it.

Medications were changed again and again, each yielding different problems for me. One medication that I took for two years made it so all I could manage to do was lay on the couch. It was nothing like depression, because I would try to do things only to be blocked mentally by what felt like a chemical restraint. Which I guess it was. There is an old journal I started back when this was going on and you can kind of see what I am talking about.

This January I decided I had had enough and stopped taking the medication. The next day I noticed a dramatic difference. I could do things again. The doctor told me not to stop the medication and that I would surely end up in the hospital in a month.

It is now 11 months later and I have not been to the hospital, as it turns out the mental illness I was said to have was actually being caused by the medication. This would explain why so many doctor disbelieved my symptoms as they did not match my diagnosis. Every time a new set of medications were given I would manifest new symptoms, and then a viscous cycle would start of medicating those symptoms with new medication etc.

So now that my mind is completely my own again I can now work on my physical well-being. At the beginning of October I started the McDougall Plan again. So far it has been going fine, except a curious oddity of the scale saying I haven't lost weight this month when I know I have. (I posted my question about that in the MWL forum.)

I exercise everyday, walking in the morning. Which was a near impossibility last year.

I am not the best at keeping up with journals, but I will try with this one.

On a side note, if you want to read my original story it is here, http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/teresa_rodriguez.html

Also for any of you wondering, I have since been diagnosed with just PTSD after the medication was stopped. It is a long story about why the medication was initially started 15 years ago, and one I have no desire to share in a public forum, but let's just say I was not given it to help with a mental illness.

I imagine this entry is rather long and if you made it this far thanks for reading. Hopefully my future entries wouldn't be as long-winded. :D
"I would call you a genius, but I am in the room." - The Doctor
onceagain

Re: The Story Continues.....

Postby to_our_health » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:41 pm

Welcome back Teresa! I remember reading your story in 2008. The story really does continue and am sorry to hear about some of the twists and turns yours has taken but glad that it's ended up back here where you can again recover your health.

Good for you! You have persistence and ultimately the ability to listen inside for what is right for you. Looking forward to hearing about your latest journey...
to_our_health

Postby LoriJenny » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:00 pm

Teresa I'm so glad you are back!! I read your inspiring story...the before and after pics are amazing. I wish you success and happiness as your story continues :)
LoriJenny

Postby onceagain » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:15 pm

Thanks to you both.

I forgot to add where I am currently at this time. Right now I am 228lbs, which I will add, the scale and I are in disagreement with that number. At the start of October I was 238lbs. My goal this time around is to get down to at least 164lbs. I am 5'8" so that is reasonable to me.
onceagain

Postby fulenn » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:30 pm

Hi Teresa! Welcome back and good luck as you take control again.

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby f1jim » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:12 pm

Exellent to have you with us again. Since you know the drill there is little to say other than you know the great news that awaits you at the end of your journey. There will be so many people watching and ready to share the experience of reaching your goals here.
Thanks for sharing the trip.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby janluvs2heel » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:11 am

Teresa,

How great that you have come back & will be stronger than ever.

You will just as good as you did last time. You have overcome a lot.

Welcome Home!!
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby toadfood » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:32 am

I'm so glad you're back!

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Postby onceagain » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:18 pm

Well thank you everyone for such a warm welcome back.

Two weeks ago my car died completely, although at first I was really upset about it I realize now it is actually a very good thing.

I had to turn in the plates, and because I couldn't drive I walked. It was around 2 miles to the DMV. It was actually a very nice walk and I enjoyed it immensely. Also now that I have to ride the bus to my therapy appointments I will be walking from downtown to their office. Which is about a twenty minute walk.

Now I already walk 40-45 minutes every morning and with this added in I should feel a lot better physically.

So I have started thinking of all the places I can walk to now that I can't drive to them. It surprised me to see how many of the places I regularly drove to I can just as easily walk to.

So now I am actually happy to be rid of that car.

On a totally random side note, I had a very tragic thing happen yesterday; I ran out of garlic powder. I know. How can I manage, but rest assured I will solider on. :P (Which means tomorrow I go to the store and buy more)
onceagain

Postby dlb » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:49 pm

Teresa -

Welcome back. I remember your story well and have wondered how you are doing. I'm so glad you have returned. I feel like I'm hearing from an old friend after a long time!

Sorry to hear about your struggles but this time you know what to do and what you can expect. I'm sure we'll be seeing you back in great shape soon.

As far as the weight question you have posted in the MWL forum, I think you should probably post it in Lani's forum. She should be able to help you figure out what's going on.

Hope you got your garlic powder :D.

Donna
To read how the McDougall Program helped me reach my goals, go here:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/donna_byrnes.html
dlb

Postby onceagain » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:21 pm

Thanks Donna. I actually do remember you. :) Back on my first username of which I can no longer remember.

As for the garlic powder, yes I got it, but apparently I left a bag of groceries at the store. Or somewhere along the trip home, either the bus stop or the bus. A few cans of Amy's Re-fried Beans and Stewed Tomatoes were in them. Thankfully I managed to bring home the other bags with more of those items in them.

I guess next time I will have to double check everywhere to make sure I leave nothing.
onceagain

Postby onceagain » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:01 pm

I had to order a new pair of running/walking shoes. The ones I have right now have started to hurt the bones on my left foot. I don't know why they do this but I am positive it is those shoes. My pair of Solomon shoes are unwearable after the laces broke. Which is why I switched to this other pair.

I got a pair of North Face trail running shoes so I am pretty sure they will be fine. I would have got Solomons again but thanks to the fact that they changed the design of their laces I didn't.

I feel really not well today. I think it is the weather that is doing it. One day it is warm enough to wear shorts and the next you need a coat. The fluctuation is giving me headaches.

I was standing in the kitchen earlier and had an overwhelming craving for orange juice. Never had a craving like that before.

Hope everyone is having a nice day. :)
onceagain

Postby onceagain » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:25 am

So I got my new walking/running shoes in the mail yesterday. WOW they are one of the most comfortable pairs of shoes I have ever owned. I immediately took them out for a spin. Although they didn't make my left foot feel any worse, whatever I did to it with the other shoes has definitely not healed yet. I am going to try not walking this weekend, ugh. It is going to be very hard.

Yesterday I decided to have a little treat so I bought some pistachio nuts. I didn't realize how few would make me so full now. I used to eat tons of them at a time and still go on to eat meals. Not yesterday I had some and that was all I could eat for the rest of the day. I don't think I will do that again. I can add this to the list of foods that I really shouldn't eat.

Now that the weather has settled down a bit I am sleeping better and the headaches have passed.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
onceagain

Postby Caroveggie » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:09 pm

I'm glad I found your journal. My car broke down this fall and I have been making do without it also. The extra walking really helps overall health. I hope your foot heals up fast. I think you are doing the best thing for yourself by returning to McDougalling. Look forward to your future posts. :)
Caroveggie

Postby onceagain » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:23 pm

Thanks Caro. Yeah I think now that I am adjusted to not having a car again I am rather enjoying it. It does have me walking more, but more important I get outside more. I usually am inside all day so it is nice to get fresh air.

I woke up this morning and it was 60 degrees outside so of course I had a headache because the weather is flip flopping again. Now it is in the 50s. I really don't like 60 degree weather in November. I should move to the Arctic Circle or something.

I tried to not walk this morning so my foot could have an extra day to heal, but I just wanted to be outside. It seems not to have bothered it too much. I don't know what is wrong with it. It isn't bruised or red or swollen. I will give it a bit with these news shoes and if it doesn't improve I will go to the doctors.

Tomorrow is grocery shopping day. I am going to make sure I don't leave a bag behind.

Have a great night all!
onceagain

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning