The Story Continues.....

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: The Story Continues.....

Postby fulenn » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:51 pm

Donna, I love your avatar! My children are ALL 3 3rd generation Dr. Who fans. :)

Hope your foot heals without having to trek to the doctors.

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby onceagain » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:17 am

That's awesome Fulenn. I have watched since the Tom Baker years. I do think the new ones are extremely well done, except I will say this last season's final episode was rather lame.

Anyway....

So I went to the store yesterday, and as I was coming out of the store I thought I had just enough time to make the extra early bus, but I missed just missed it. As I didn't feel like waiting I decided to walk home. So I made sure I had all my bags and started the three mile trek back home. After a long hour I made it home. I was very happy to be home and put away my groceries then started to organize my pockets only to find that somewhere along the way I had lost my bus pass. :P

So now I know when I go to the store don't leave my bus pass and don't leave any bags.

I will say that I am pretty sure that my foot is fine now. If that walk didn't bother it I am certain it is healing and will be completely free of complaint soon.

I kind of wish that yesterday had been the day I forgot a bag, they got really heavy after about a mile. I did get all my food though.

I have another food added to my "Can't eat" list. Almonds.... I just eat way too many.

I checked my weight yesterday and whatever was keeping it level has passed as I now weigh 223 lbs. :)
"I would call you a genius, but I am in the room." - The Doctor
onceagain

Postby Rosey » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:15 am

Wow great job and walking that far with all your groceries.
Rosey

Postby Caroveggie » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:19 pm

Thought about you..

I got a walking cart that looks like a golf caddy cart (sort of). It's been so helpful for grocery shopping and stuff like that. No more carrying heavy bags. This one has a high handle and it's easy to walk with. They're popular around here (San Francisco has good public transit so a lot of people are pedestrians without cars.) It was only around $17 too.
Caroveggie

Postby djunamod » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:05 am

Teresa, I just read your initial post here and also your initial story and you express yourself wonderfully :D. It is sad and shocking that your symptoms were largely caused by the medications you were given and the doctors were so ignorant of it. It's really a testament to how much we've become a "pill popping" society and how we are putting too much faith in pills when lifestyle changes can do a world of good. I'm trying to go that direction myself. I've been dependent on Excedrin Migraine for years now (and I mean taking a LOT of them when I have a migraine and even when I just feel a headache coming on) and I'm now embarking on an elimination diet similar to the one Dr. McDougall recommends and then will be slowly adding foods in to see what triggers my migraines.

I so identify with you about having to bear the burden of parents who are well meaning but just don't support you as they should (or think they are doing). I have the same issues. My parents are very loving and have wonderful intentions, but they are also very controlling and invasive (just journaled a bit about that, in fact). They didn't think anything was wrong for that for years. Heck, my dad still thinks there's nothing wrong with how he's behaving! My mom, thankfully, has been working on herself and has become much more aware of her behavior and has been making a lot of good changes. I also acknowledge my own part in this - I didn't set boundaries or stand my ground when I should have as a teenager, but just bowed down because it was easier. I pay for it with very low self-esteem, which I'm working on now. But I've learned to also stand my ground and set the boundaries. It's really hard but I feel that my mom respects me for it (my dad is a different issue...)

I wish you all the luck in the world on your second time around and I commend you for journaling about it and being honest about your experience. I think many of us would let ego get in the way and make excuses for why we were back to gaining weight (I know I've done this!) so I commend you for not doing that.

Djuna
Starting Weight: 187.4
Current Weight: 182.2
Goal Weight: 120-125
djunamod

Postby onceagain » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:07 pm

So the last month has been rather interesting. I actually got very frustrated with the fact that my weight was just sitting at 223lbs. It really made no sense. Then I started to get other physical issues. I started needing lots of naps and my joints and muscles ached all the time. Then my mood started going down. I also stopped getting my period so I immediately thought pre-menopause which I am rather young for. Anyway I looked it up and all the symptoms were there, and then I scrolled to the bottom of the page and it said, "If you have hypothyroidism have this checked first the symptoms are nearly the same." So I did and turns out my thyroid was low. They upped my medication and all is well again, and in the first week since the medication change I have dropped 3 lbs.

So hopefully now that my mood has begun to elevate back to normal I will be able to write in this journal again. :)

Thank you caro and Rosey, the grocery issue has also resolved itself. I found a bus that gives me half an hour of shopping time, more than needed. No more long waits or walks. YAY! My friend takes me to the store for the heavy stuff (ie kitty litter).

Djuna- Yes, parents can be very damaging even when they don't intend to be. It is good to hear that at least your mother is changing.

I try to be completely honest when I talk about my experiences. Some of my friends would say too honest. LOL I have a tendency to say how I see things, doesn't always go over well with everyone.

Thank you for your wishes.
"I would call you a genius, but I am in the room." - The Doctor
onceagain

Postby scooterpie » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:27 pm

djunamod wrote:I've been dependent on Excedrin Migraine for years now (and I mean taking a LOT of them when I have a migraine and even when I just feel a headache coming on) and I'm now embarking on an elimination diet similar to the one Dr. McDougall recommends and then will be slowly adding foods in to see what triggers my migraines.
I just looked up the ingredients in each tablet of the above Excedrin--65 mg of caffeine. Just in case you're monitoring your caffeine intake re: migraines.
scooterpie

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning