Fulenn

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Fulenn

Postby fulenn » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:41 pm

Mango for breakfast and squash veggie stuff over rice for lunch. Still not sure what dinner will be.

We are going camping tomorrow, just 2 days, so I am planning what we will eat while there. We'll be near an electrical outlet, so calling it camping is being generous, but, since it is there, I will bring my electric cooler. I am thinking of making a huge fruit salad, slicing the five cucumbers on the dining table to bring, bringing several tomatoes from the garden, and maybe even bringing the rice cooker. Yeah, definitely not much camping involved. :D One DD wants to bring a friend, but I'm not allowing it; her friend is one of these "can't live without my hairdryer" kind of people and would NOT enjoy our sort-of camping trip. I'll let DD invite her when we stay in a hotel. I don't have a problem if someone prefers hotels/curling irons/etc., just don't want to deal with them in the forest.

I am hoping we will do some real camping in a couple of weeks when we go back home to the Rockies--tent, backpacking, everything you haul in you haul out. Fun!

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby fulenn » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:50 pm

Just got home and am making doro wat, minus the chicken. I'm just making the sauce, using water instead of oil, and serving over injera bread that we just picked up in Austin. Doro wot is sometimes called the Ethiopian national dish--but it is served with chicken legs and a boiled egg. It is really the sauce that we love here at home, so I am just making the sauce and having it over large butter beans, then serving in on Injera bread, which is an Ethiopian flatbread. No oil in it and no oil to cook it, but you have to check because some places cook the bread with oil to make it easier on them.

Fulenn

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:24 pm

The spices mixed together nicely with just water--add water then paprika and berbere to the pan, stir well, then add a mixture of pureed onion, garlic, and ginger to the pan. It all came together very nicely. Some broth and wine, more water, and, in my case, butter beans. It should be done in about 10 minutes. The beans are already cooked, so I am just warming them up and letting them soak up some of the sauce's flavor.

Who says eating this way is boring? Well, no one. :D

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby talkingmountain » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:49 pm

I'd live to have your recipe for doro wat! One of the things I miss about moving from D.C. Is all that great Ethiopian food. And the injera, yum... I wonder how hard that is to make?
talkingmountain

Postby fulenn » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:53 pm

I'm going camping for a couple of days and am getting ready right now, but I'll post it for you on Wednesday. Nice to meet someone else who loves Ethiopian food!

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby talkingmountain » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:36 am

Fulenn, I am gradually reading all your posts (from most recent backwards... Just like I read magazines starting at the back, lol) and a
Ready I am saying " hey I wonder if I could go live with fulenn".

Just kidding of course. It's just that your food sounds AMAZING and it looks like we love the same things. Ethiopian food... Persian food. I hardly ever cook Persian any more (no time) and there are no Persian restaurants where we live now, but omg I could eat that stuff every day! (probably a good thing there aren't any Persian restaurants around, now that I think of it... All that butter and olive oil would make eating McD impossible).

When you return from camping, you must, please pretty please, tell me exactly how to make the rice and cherries dish!

Have a wonderful camping trip. Oh and thank you for checking out my journal.

tm
Last edited by talkingmountain on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
talkingmountain

Postby fulenn » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:48 am

DH got a call for a job interview, so the camping has been cut short, we returned as soon as we could pack the car this morning.

The potatoes got cooked in our fire last night--yum! They got brown and crusty on the parts where they were nearest the heat and tasted so good. I cut the potatoes into fourths and then wrapped them in foil to cook. Mmmmmm.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby f1jim » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:15 pm

Best of luck with the job situation. I hope it works out for the best there.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby fulenn » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:18 pm

Thanks, Jim! I hope he finds something he likes, not just to pay the bills. But he said he will do what he needs to.

Here is a picture of my potatoes from the campfire last night:

They tasted really good with just salt and pepper.

Fulenn

fulenn

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals