Fulenn

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Fulenn

Postby fulenn » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:50 pm

Hi Carollynne! Here is a link to a basic recipe that looks like what I do. http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaidesserts/r/mangoricepuddin.htm
But, I do not use real coconut milk because of the high fat content. Instead, I use soy milk with coconut extract in it. Definitely use fresh mangos if you can, I have found that the frozen ones frequently are not completely ripe once thawed and the canned ones don't even taste like mangos to me. Also, start with 3 T. of sugar and go up if you want to. We end up using 3-4 T. now, though we used more in the beginning. We just throw about 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds into a frying pan and sprinkle them onto the rice once they have browned.

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby fulenn » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:33 pm

One of my DD's had a birthday party this weekend; I got so busy that I didn't buy food for me and I ended up nibbling on high-fat foods. I ate some noodles from an oriental restaurant that ended up giving me an acidic and upset stomach--I don't even want to think about what must have been in them. Anyway, I learned a big lesson about shopping ahead of time and staying ready. There aren't a lot of places to find prepared foods where I live, which is about 20 miles outside of Austin, so I need to have things ready here. I shopped today and made sure to have enough things for the rest of the week.

The party was fun, though!

Fulenn

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:10 pm

Today went well. I had my oatmeal ready for breakfast, packed my orange and soup (but still ate the salad at the conference), had good food at home including some fresh mango and pineapple salad. Mmmm! I didn't intend to eat the same breakfasts all the time, but I now look forward to the food and it makes me feel good. Same with lunches. I have been experimenting a lot more with my dinners the past couple of weeks, but overall it is good.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:22 pm

Had oatmeal for breakfast, teeccino with soy milk, apple and soup for lunch. Made curry for dinner--cauliflower, onion, garlic, curry powder, paprika, tomato, fake coconut milk (soy milk with coconut extract), salt--all over fresh hot rice. Yummy!

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby Rosey » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:40 am

fulenn wrote:Had oatmeal for breakfast, teeccino with soy milk, apple and soup for lunch. Made curry for dinner--cauliflower, onion, garlic, curry powder, paprika, tomato, fake coconut milk (soy milk with coconut extract), salt--all over fresh hot rice. Yummy!

Fulenn

What is teeccino?
Rosey

Postby fulenn » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:45 pm

Teeccino is a caffeine-free herbal alternative for coffee: http://www.teeccino.com/

Really good!

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby carollynne » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:36 am

hi! Just wanted to say that we just picked up some coconut extract! and will have to try it out with soy mil, or almond!
have a great day!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby fulenn » Sun May 06, 2012 7:43 am

carollyne, hope you got a chance to try cooking with the coconut extract.

Rosie, did you try the teeccino? I'm pretty sure my SIL buys it in Portland.

Weight is still coming off a 1/2 lb or 1 lb at a time. I seem to have settled into a good routine with food. The biggest thing that I notice is how well I do if I eat the same foods instead of trying to have something totally different every single night. I am still eating oatmeal for most breakfasts, though I am making hash browns this morning, still have an orange for lunch and homemade soup, and am having a lot of rice-based dinners recently. I like cauliflower and sweet potato curry a lot, also beans over rice with kale in it, I dump a TON of fresh leafy greens and other softer veggies into my soups, and really have to stay away from flour products.

One thing I am starting to see is that I don't feel the need to eat at scheduled times all the time; if I am not hungry for dinner, it isn't the big deal it used to be to just skip it. This was a big one for me. I like eating enough that I have always looked forward to the next opportunity! :nod:

I made some whole wheat bread several weeks ago, but I eat too much of it when I have it around. I already knew that breads and flour-based foods were not working for me, but I tried anyway.

I haven't been posting as much recently because I have been crazy busy and some other stuff, too. But the food is working for me.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby Chile » Sun May 06, 2012 11:39 am

I agree on the moving away from scheduled meal times. It makes it easier to actually tune in to the body to see whether it is hungry or not, rather than just shoveling food in because it's "time."

I like my soups with tons of veggies, too. Hubby likes more starch but it's pretty easy for him to just have crackers or bread with his bowl, leaving me with a great big bowl of low calorie density vegetable soup. Not saying it doesn't have starch, though, as there's always potatoes, rice, or pasta in it. :)
Chile

Postby Rosey » Mon May 07, 2012 12:03 am

No I haven't tried it. I got my self just drinking water and herbal teas at this point and every once in a while 100% orange juice.
Rosey

Postby fulenn » Tue May 08, 2012 3:09 pm

Hi Chile. I think my favorite soup veggie is kale, or maybe green onions.

Rosey, I love that you are drinking water and herbal teas! I let myself drink diet coke again and had to just stop it. I feel better when I let the caffeine go.

I have a sweet potato in the convection oven for later. I am getting hungry, but am definitely willing to wait for it. Yum!

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby carollynne » Wed May 09, 2012 4:27 am

fulenn, Hi again! You are a great inspiration to us here. Love that your dh will eat with you too. my DH will eat the soups with me usually, and the plain veggies, but still wants the dead animal flesh too. Icky!
Have a good day !
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby fulenn » Sat May 12, 2012 7:10 pm

Hi carollynne! I am lucky. My children have all made a huge effort to change, at least here at home, for me. They all love me more than I deserve and I think that they are the best.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby Chile » Sun May 13, 2012 7:19 am

I recently made the Thai coconut rice. I decided to use up a can of "lite" coconut milk from the pantry. Ick, what a mistake! Lite is a lie, as I'm sure y'all know. It was still almost entirely fat and the sad part was the rice didn't come out with much coconut flavor. Next time I will definitely use almond milk plus coconut extract.

I have lots of peaches in my freezer because we go to a u-pick orchard every year so I used peaches instead of mangoes. It's really good!
Chile

Postby fulenn » Sun May 13, 2012 9:38 am

Hi Chile! I tried the lite coconut milk, too, with similar results. Even with coconut extract the flavor is not strong, but I make the sauce to go over it and put a lot of extract in that--now it tastes like coconut!

One of my DD's just walked in, wished me happy mother's day, and asked me if I wanted to go to dairy queen because she has enough money for that. When I told her I couldn't, she grinned and said that she supposed we would have to go to Mother's--this great vegetarian and vegan restaurant here in Austin--and she would just buy dessert. :D What a great child! That place will be super busy today, so she suggested that we go now, before the church rush hits it. So I guess we will be leaving in a few minutes.

Happy Mother's Day to all of the other mothers!

Fulenn

fulenn

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals