Dissolution's Solution

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Dissolution's Solution

Postby nicoles » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:11 pm

Dissolution wrote:I think she is resorting to her old methods of fighting the quitting smoking. On the several times we both tried quitting, she would escalate things until I caved in and said screw it, let's go get cigarettes. Not working this time.

Exactly!- she'll get it out of her system in one, unpleasant chunk, and then you'll both be able to breathe the clean air. And she will really benefit from you not enabling the slide back in to smoking - if she starts again, it will all be on her.

And although she may act out a lot in general, quitting smoking is exceptional. Clearly, I am always awesome and perfect, but when I quit smoking years ago, I was a HORROR to live with. For a few days to 2 weeks, I think. I had quit with my then-boyfriend, and although I stopped, I stressed him out so much, he went back to smoking.

What can I say; I look out for myself :lol:

Dissolution wrote:I had been planning on the lawn mowing to substitute for my work out, so I didn't work out Yesterday. I feel like crap this morning. Think my BP is up. It may be medically necessary for me to exercise everyday.

I think that is healthy - and it IS medically necessary for all people to exercise! That's why it is such a powerful lifestyle tool :-D !
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby carollynne » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:35 pm

Dis: Wonderful news on the smoke free house! That is the best news really! One thing at a time. Very hard to sustain, so you are very wise to step back and give her some space. We all make our own choices! Good for you to not cave in for her!
I love my workouts at the gym too, and hate to miss a day. I do plenty at home too. My ankle is doing so good/normal now, and the key is to exercise, and not miss a day. Just takes time, and voila you can be as good as new, well almost that is!
too pretty outside to stay in right now.
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby Dissolution » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:25 am

VegSexy It kind of reminds me of the early days on this way of eating. Do I enjoy it? Well, I don't mind it, and the results are sure worth it. It's not like I was going to be doing anything important with the time it's taking.

I'm starting to recognize faces at the gym. The people that are there, every time I go, all look really fit. So my conclusion is as long as I keep going all the time and pushing myself, I'll eventually be really fit.

nomikins Hmmm...I never considered that treadmill running was more difficult in that way. It does force me along, especially towards the end of the run.

nicoles She seemed to be doing better Yesterday. We watched TV together all last night.

I borrowed an automatic blood pressure machine (It's a full cuff and very nice) from my Mom Yesterday. My BP does seem to spike up occasionally, so I want to be able to chart it, so I have something for my cardiologist the next time I see him.

carollynne The wife is doing so good! A little worried about Easter. When 3 to 4 of the kids go outside to smoke after the meal. I'm sure she'll feel left out after that. #1Son and Wife both smoke, #3 still smokes, but hides in the basement most of the time. I haven't seen #4 since Sunday, so I don't know how successful he has been with his attempt to quit.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Went 5/45/20/30 on the treadmill Yesterday. Yay progress!

Still having some BP issues. I didn't exercise on Tuesday, and by Tuesday night, my BP "felt" very high. Probably at least 140+, so I took a med. Then after my workout Yesterday, it was 75/49 which of course is WAY too low, no wonder I felt light headed. I borrowed the auto BP cuff from my Mom, and will start tracking in a few times during the day.

The wife showed much improvement Yesterday with the non smoking / mood thing. Need to think of something special to do this Friday or this weekend to celebrate for her.

Dissolution

Postby scooterpie » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:34 am

Thanks for the cartoon there--rock on DS!
scooterpie

Postby nomikins » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:39 am

Buy her flowers. :unibrow:
nomikins

Postby carollynne » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:25 am

oh, my love that cartoon!! and it is so true!
Hey let them all go outside to smoke, smokers are starting to be out numbered and out gunner too. My mother's generation is the "Last of the Mohicans" as smokers go, as far as I am concerned, with all the knowledge we now have to bombard us with all the nasty health facts of how bad the second hand smoke is for us and yet many are in that grip of the addiction and cannot stop... but we do not have to watch. Free country, except when it touches our noses and lungs!
And yet I can remember when the teachers' room would be blue with smoke during lunch time and the kids were all in their lunch room down the hallway. I had to stay out of it, since I always hated the stink of it!
Last edited by carollynne on Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby VegSexy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:43 pm

I think flowers would be a nice gesture to give your wife for her non smoking efforts. Just don't eat them :D

You will be fit if you continue to go to the gym. My best advice - do what you love and you will relish every minute!

BTW - Love the cartoon
~VegSexy

A guy has celery sticking out of one ear, lettuce out of the other, and a zucchini up his nose.
He goes to the doctor and asks him what's wrong.
The doctor tells him, "Well, for one thing, you're not eating right."
VegSexy

Postby Dissolution » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:43 am

scooterpie You're welcome, and thanks!

nomikins I kind of did...She was with me, I suggested she get some and she picked them out. Probably doesn't count that way...

carollynne I can remember back around '87, working in an office that measured something like 15' x 30', and at times there were 7 or 8 people smoking in there. It was crazy.

VegSexy I'm not sure how much I "like" going to the gym, I do know I LIKE the results. So I guess I'll keep going.... :-D

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess this is pretty big news. The wife and I reached an agreement about Easter dinner. I will not enter the kitchen or attempt to cook any of "my" food, and she will prepare 2 special low fat vegan dishes, in addition to "my" mashed potatoes and a garden salad. I think this is pretty huge actually. I'm sure part of it is wanting to avoid the incident at Christmas, but still.

Got a text from my DIL, she was mad at #1Son and wants to "go vegan" so she can loose weight without going to the gym. She wanted me to provide her with a meal meal plan. I told her I don't do meal plans for myself and that 50% of the time I didn't know what I was going to eat for dinner until I cooked it. I suggested a couple of McDougall's books to her, and told her I would be happy to go to the grocery store with her, and show her what is "allowed". She asked if she could have smoothies for breakfast and if she had to give up salad dressings.

I think I'll schedule a McDougall teaching moment with her. I've noticed that the local grocery store, which has a large and very nice salad bar "by the pound" center, is a popular place for people to get their lunch. Most of the people that eat salads for lunch are obese. Most of the salads include cheese, egg, bacon and topped with liquid fat, (aka ranch dressing). I'll show her my favorite grocery store lunch which does include a huge salad, but I always add a whole wheat bagel for a starch, otherwise I'll get hungry two hours later.

We'll see, I think she was just frustrated with the "gym experience" and was irritated at #1son. She seems to think she needs to save up money before she can afford to "go vegan". I've tried to explain to her that it is much cheaper than eating SAD, but she just doesn't get it yet.

Did an experiment at the gym Yesterday. I did a little warm up on the elliptical, but never broke the cardio threshold, in heart rate. #1son thinks that I'm not sore after my lifting days, because I'm putting too much energy into the cardio that I do before I lift, and I don't have enough energy left to really push the weights hard enough to get sore.

Well, he was right about not doing the cardio before hand, would help me lift more weight. I was able to do 10% to 25% more weight, and for the same or more reps than my Wednesday workout. I am not sore today however. **Shrug**

The down side is, my BP didn't drop like it does after I do cardio. So I took half a BP pill when I got home. So I guess I must do cardio everyday.

Happy Easter Eve Everybody!
Dissolution

Postby Debbie » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:28 am

That's great about your wife! First she's smoke free AND she's cooking two legal meals. Didnt she say she would NEVER cook a low fat meal?!?! It won't be long....

Do your cardio after weights. The guys at the gym here do like 10 mins warmups on the elliptical then their weights then add 30 mins at the end and run or whatever.

Ive heard a lot of vegan athletes say they recover way better with little soreness and they believe it's diet. I know when I work out with my SIL we do the same activity and she always texts me and cries about how sore she is. And if I say I'm not sore she'll say I didn't work as hard. Um....she's in better shape than I am and thinner too. Trust me I worked harder ;-)

Keep up the good work and have a great Easter!!!
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby Norm » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:00 pm

Dissolution wrote:#1son thinks that I'm not sore after my lifting days, because I'm putting too much energy into the cardio that I do before I lift, and I don't have enough energy left to really push the weights hard enough to get sore.
I am well familiar with the soreness involved with strenuous workouts. I lifted weights as a young man, and experienced it many times in life when I've done repeated, strenuous exercise.

And I too am amazed at the lack of muscle soreness these days after strenuous exercise. Two weeks ago I pushed myself on my trike harder than I ever have, and fully expected to be very sore for a few days. My joints were, from my arthritis, but my muscles recovered just fine.
I've also recently done a bit of exercise with handheld weights. I was expecting to feel a little soreness. I didn't. I did, however, feel a little improvement in muscle tone, so I know I did enough exercise to build muscle.

I think there is something to this!

Keep reporting back on this.

-Norm
Norm

Postby carollynne » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:56 am

Happy Easter Dis to you and your family too. Your wife is coming around now---- that she sees you are not giving up anytime soon! :lol: :lol:
Your soreness after a workout should be getting easier as you get more in shape too. I had some horrendous times after this one whole body type of pull up in the pool, an exercise for upper body workout, and usually on the left whole arm side only. But I kept at it.... it would take a week to recover, now it is no more!! woo-hoo! I think it is a combination of going vegan and also just the exercising is not going away!

hope your wife makes the best meal ever for you!!
Congrats on your other DIL too, trying to go vegan and get healthy, you are bringing in the sheaves and that is cool! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Hey that 15 x 30 ft room with all the smokers, sounds like a den of inequity and a caner ward in the making too. It would be odd if they all still smoke now!
Last edited by carollynne on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
carollynne

Postby Broadbean » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:40 pm

I hadn't made the connection before, but I was noticing that I wasn't sore after working out recently. I used to get up and find myself all creaky and in pain the day after increasing my running, and you know, I kind of enjoyed it, because it meant I had a good workout. Lately I just don't feel that.

Could it be a whole year since I've felt sore after working out? You know, it could be. It could be since I started McDougalling.

Weird that I never put two and two together!
Broadbean

Postby Dissolution » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:06 am

Debbie The wife made a veggie pizza. now it did include some vegan "cheese", which is way too high in fat. But I figured she was making compromises, I sure as hell wasn't going to derail that by telling her I couldn't eat the vegan "cheese". The pizza was VERY good, and I enjoyed the vegan "cheese", it made for a nice special treat.

Of course #2Son and I were the only ones that ate any of it.

Norm I'm using a program called JEFIT on my phone to track my workouts. So I am collecting data. For each exercise it calculates a one rep maximum (1RM), based on what you lifted for that exercise. The increase in 1RM this past month has been substantial. Will be more interesting to see how I do my second month.

carollynne DIL informed me that she had signed up for Weight Watchers Online, and was just amazed at how much food she gets to eat. She gets to drink all the smoothies she wants, because they have no points. I just smiled pleasantly and wished her luck.

Later she spent 30 minutes complaining to my wife about her hormone issues. I'm guessing she didn't read the stuff I linked to her from McDougall about female hormone issues and dairy, because a doctor and hormone therapy are a MUCH better alternative to going off dairy for a month or so to see if it helps.

Broadbean I guess we just become accustomed to feeling good and being pain free. But it is like having Vegan Super Powers sometimes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The second dish my wife made for me was a low fat vegan chili, it was very very good. #2Son demanded to be allowed to take half of it home with him...lol

This was the first holiday meal where I felt bad for the SAD eaters. I think my dishes were MUCH tastier than what was prepared for everybody else.

It was funny, at some point this weekend my wife comes to me and asks, "Corn oil is made from corn right? So it's vegan, why can't you have it?" I told her it was because I'm actually on a whole food, plant based, starch centered, low fat diet, but it's just easier to say vegan sometimes.

Happy Monday...I need to go to the gym....
Dissolution

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:16 am

I like what I'm reading about less soreness after a workout. It reminds me of the complete lack of PMS or other stuff like that...you can tell your DIL that I have zero PMS symptoms and zero cramping, since starting this

AND my grocery bill is less than half what I used to spend and I wasn't even a SAD eater, but a whole foods from scratch omnivore.

You keep on going, man. It's inspiring!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Adrienne » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:47 am

Wow good for your wife! Happy to hear that Easter was much more enjoyable than Christmas. Did she like the food she prepared for you?
Adrienne

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals