Dissolution's Solution

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Dissolution's Solution

Postby Caroveggie » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:37 pm

Your healthy progress makes me happy. :P Great attitude.
Caroveggie

Postby carollynne » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:09 am

Good Morning Dis, and to all who read this journal! I wanted to add that I agree with the chink in the armor remark, and it can happen soon. then I wonder if she will also start reading the forum here and find your journal, and then all ---- will break lose! not a pretty thought.
You are an inspiration to us here, so do not give it up! We all want you to be a star!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby Dissolution » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:49 am

MixedGrains Good to know I'm not the only one with that reaction.

nicoles
You are running on a treadmill without angina for gosh sakes! What the what?!?!? HOW AWESOME IS THAT?!?!

Thanks for that....I sometimes get lost in the daily struggles and journey that it's easy to forget how far I have come. It was about this time last year when the boys and I started bowling. I would often have to sit out a game here and there because of angina. Now I am starting to jog...That's pretty awesome!

Caroveggie Thanks! It's been fun seeing #2son especially get excited about me getting healthier, and planning stuff for us to do.

carollynne I'm still holding out hope that when our friends come to visit for Memorial Day, that their perspective will help her. Of course I'm also preparing myself for them to think I've just gone off the deep end and "drank the kool-aid".

I don't think my wife has ever participated on an Internet forum, so I doubt she'll stubble upon my journal here. While I am certain it would piss her off, I've said nothing that is untrue, doesn't mean it wouldn't be painful for her.

------------------------------------------------------------------
So no HCTZ Since last Thursday and no Lisinopril since Saturday. Didn't exercise per se on Sunday, but I did hit a lot of golf balls and move a lot of dirt. BP was fine on Sunday night.

Yesterday I wasn't feeling great, probably a little stiff from the golfing. Went to the gym and only made it about 2/10 of a mile before my legs got tired and I got a little bit of angina. Went pretty light on the cardio, and hit the weights a little harder than normal. Added weight and a couple of more exercises. Muscles are tight today, feels pretty good.

Checked BP afterwards: 108/63 pulse 88

Went for a walk/jog this morning. Did 1.41 miles @4.6 mph average moving speed. A New personal best. I was bumping up against the angina threshold a bit.

Going to keep monitoring BP, body probably just needs some time to adjust.
Dissolution

Postby VegSexy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:26 am

Sounds like you're doing very well exercising. It's always exciting to see what you can accomplish. Feels good, too!

Be sure to listen to your body, push yourself, but not too hard, and take breaks when you need to. That's how I was last night working out - I just had to stop and take a couple of breathes.

Have you considered getting a heart-rate monitor? I have one from Timex, was about $50. You wear a chest strap and a wrist watch. It might prove to be insightful.

Have a lovely day.
~VegSexy

A guy has celery sticking out of one ear, lettuce out of the other, and a zucchini up his nose.
He goes to the doctor and asks him what's wrong.
The doctor tells him, "Well, for one thing, you're not eating right."
VegSexy

Postby Dissolution » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:57 am

VegSexy I've got one of those heart rate monitors, of course I'm not sure where it is. The cardio machines at the gym all have heart rate monitors built in, so far most of them seem to be fairly accurate.

I'm pretty in-tune with my heart, so I'm not worried about over doing it. I'm not afraid to back off if things aren't feeling right. I'm also not afraid to push up to the angina threshold, because it always seems to recede after I do.

I firmly believe that the human body will adapt to whatever we tell it to do. Will I achieve my goal of being able to run a mile? I have no doubt. How much more after that is possible? i don't know, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 4 with no BP medicine. Weight is up to 226. 4 pounds is a good trade for being off two of my toughest to stop medicines.

Plan to go to the gym after work with #2Son today.

Think I'll go outside and plant some stuff....
Dissolution

Postby carollynne » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:20 pm

Dis, this is wonderful news!! I am so happy for you, and you are a real inspiration to us here!! No doubt about it, you are right on all accounts! what are you planning to plant outside? that is always a good workout if you ask me too!!
I am relaly really proud of myself, today, at my gym workout, I stayed in teh machine room, no pool exercises for me today and finally met my goal of 15 min on the true stride machine.
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby Debbie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:21 pm

Can you believe your journal actually fell to the second page?!?!?! LOL I dont think it ever fell to half the first page before. Youre pretty darn popular round these parts. :unibrow: Hope all is well.

Anyway, while cruising pinterest the other day, I spotted this and I thought of you. You can make your avatar into a necklace. Although considering your situation, I dont suggest it. But it's pretty cool anyhow. :-D

"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby didi » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:40 am

Well everyone is smarter than I am. I thought the avatar was a piece of machinery that belonged to a car.

Didi
didi

Postby nomikins » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:41 am

Very steampunk.
nomikins

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:44 pm

Hey Dis

Just read through the last two pages of your journal! As always, so exciting! I'm getting excited myself to get my mind back "in the game" and your journal is hugely motivating for me! keep it up :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Debbie » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:52 pm

didi wrote:Well everyone is smarter than I am. I thought the avatar was a piece of machinery that belonged to a car.

Didi

Oh goodness, maybe its not a heart :o :lol: My best guess was that it was a heart fashioned after a motor of some kind. You know, the heart being the most improtant part of the human vs the motor being the most important part of a vehicle. Goodness me :o :unibrow:
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby Adrienne » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:25 pm

I also thought the avatar was a "heart fashioned out of a motor." But who knows I could be wrong.

Hope you are doing well Dissolution!!
Adrienne

Postby JennieZ » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:03 pm

Great story Dissolution. Thanks for sharing it.
JennieZ

Postby Dissolution » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:49 pm

Debbie Actually I had considered getting a "steampunk" heart tattooed on my chest Once I reached destination weight. BTW I have no other tattoos. I told #2son my plan and the little bastard had a "steampunk" heart/clock tattooed on his chest. I like the necklace though.

didi Haha...Yeah, it's supposed to be a heart.

nomikins Yup!

bunsofaluminum Glad you are getting back in the game!

Adrienne It goes back to the procedure I had to install 4 stints in the right coronary artery, and the cardiologist calling it full metal jacket. Just made me think of steam punk hearts.

JennieZ Thanks and welcome!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Haven't journal'ed since Tuesday. It was not a good week at work last week. I was very busy and having to deal with some difficult people.

Then on Friday the wife and I got into a huge argument. Short version, my company has some extra money this month. My partner and I decided to get iPad's (wife could get one too if she wanted), the wife (who is part owner and book keeper) agreed, but thought iPad's were $250. She never asked me how much they were. I mentioned how much it was going to cost and she freaked. Still well under how much extra we had this month.

Anyways I get home late Friday, because she wanted to argue and I missed my morning gym time. She asked if she could have her "iPad share" as a weekend get-a-way vacation for the two of us this weekend. So she booked a room and we went on a mini-vacation.

It was nice, I hope we settled some stuff. The best thing though, is she wanted to make a deal with me. She has agreed to quit smoking, and once she does, I will paint the living room, dinning room and kitchen. I agreed of course.

So maybe this is what she sees as the first step for her to a healthier life. She still seems to be adamantly opposed to McDougalling, but we'll see.

The hotel had a fitness center so I made use of it Sunday and Monday mornings. I stayed on plan as best I could all weekend. Only real questionable thing I ate was a "veggie" burger at a diner. Other than that, you sometimes take risks with restaurant salad dressings.

The scale has not been kind this past week. Between going off the BP medicine and the weight lifting, the scale seems to be moving in the wrong direction. Plus I just remembered that I agreed to meeting my Mother for lunch tomorrow, so there goes my fasting day. We'll see how things look on Wednesday.
Dissolution

Postby fulenn » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:20 pm

Great news about your wife quitting smoking! Sorry it was a bad week for you. That really is a good first step she is making; can't wait for the rest to come.

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals