Vanessa's Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Vanessa's Journal

Postby Rosey » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:11 pm

Welcome!!!
Rosey

Postby vanessa40 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:13 pm

Hi Rosey~Thanks for the Welcome ;)

I read this in Lori journal and it really hit home with me so i wanted to post it here..
Thanks Jim

I think you have it. For me, I just visualize the type of person I want to be. The person that doesn't give in to any temptation that comes in front of me. The person with the lifestyle choices that don't allow little bits of junk to invade their plan. Then I simply live out my life as if I were that person. Do it enough and you are. Do it enough and it's truly lifestyle and habit. Every cheat destroys that image of who and where I want to be. My brain knows it at some level no matter how much I try to justify them. Even though this person is just a conjured image I become that image I am focused on. I realize that sounds rather bizarre but it works.
f1jim
To Err Is Human
To Forgive Is Canine
vanessa40

Postby vanessa40 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:19 pm

Today was weight lifting day. I use to lift heavy but now i take it a bit easier and my body is thanking me for it.
I do full body 3x a week

Pushups on toes
2x12

DB Bi Curls
2x15x15#

Tri Kickbacks
2x15x15#

Shoulder Press
2x15x15#

Plie Squats
2x15x15#

Bodyweight Lunges
2x15

Standing Abductions
2x15
To Err Is Human
To Forgive Is Canine
vanessa40

Postby blondie » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:40 pm

I think you have it. For me, I just visualize the type of person I want to be. The person that doesn't give in to any temptation that comes in front of me. The person with the lifestyle choices that don't allow little bits of junk to invade their plan. Then I simply live out my life as if I were that person. Do it enough and you are. Do it enough and it's truly lifestyle and habit. Every cheat destroys that image of who and where I want to be. My brain knows it at some level no matter how much I try to justify them. Even though this person is just a conjured image I become that image I am focused on. I realize that sounds rather bizarre but it works.
f1jim

I love that! Visualize the type of person I want to be...now that's good!

I've not tried weight lifting, but alot of people like it. I go to a ladies gym with resistance machines similar to what they have at Curves. There are resistance settings that you adjust to your own personal strength, and a recorded voice tells you when to switch to the next machine. You do as many reps as you can in the time on each machine. I was doing strength training 5x a week, and just found myself being achey and tired. I now do the resistance on Mon. Wed. Fri. and I feel much better giving myself that recovery time in between.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
311 all-time highest weight. Began McDougall plan at 300 lb. on 2/9/2011.
blondie

Postby vanessa40 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:57 am

Good Morning,

I would like to address a few problems i have that i am trying to work through..

The first is exercise..for the longest time i have used running to balance out my bad diet. I use to run everyday. Now i am burnt out and just the thought of going out running depresses me.
I know that walking and other forms of exercise are just as good but all you ever read about is running is great..and the fact my knee's and right foot really can't take the beating anymore is another reason i need to pull back. I have a race Saturday. It's a 5K for our local animal shelter. I do love races so i am excited about that..but i am thinking i might only be doing that race every year and not the rest.
I do lift weight,I love yoga. I have a great treadmill,spinning bike, Wii with all the fitness games. My Fitness Coach is my favorite. I just need to start doing other workouts. Like Dr. McDougall says you need to find an exercise you enjoy.

The other thing i am working on is my meal. The protein part. I have it in my head from years of programming that you need a protein at every meal. When i look over some journal i see meals that are rice and veggies and i think you know i need to do that. I always want to add something like beans,tofu,veggie burger or something like that but i see now you don't need to do that. I know from reading that the veggies and rice do have protein in them but like i said it is the years of programming. I know it is a process and i am working on it. Another thing i have to deal with is my husband looking at my plate and asking me if i am eating enough. I am like do you see all this food.

So i am off to have breakfast and figure out my day. I plan on some reading,maybe walk,jog on the treadmill later and find my puppy her Halloween costume. Yeah she so loves that ;)

Yesterday's FitBit Totals

Steps Taken-9650
Calories Burned-1724
Miles Traveled-5.59
To Err Is Human
To Forgive Is Canine
vanessa40

Postby lmggallagher » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:55 am

Hi Vanessa:

You know I was looking at how you track the exercise and thinking how I used to do that too. Then I was thinking, hmm how did I get lazy on that..but then for me I had an epiphany just now. I actually have finally stopped obsessing about exercise altogether and just think did I get a half hour in today and if not I go walk, if it feels good to do more I do, if it's too pretty outside not to keep going - then I do - but it's not about keeping track anymore and for me that's so much more pleasant.

I am trying to think what made me track every rep & step back when and I think it was because I was around all these physical therapy guys and they used the numbers competitively, like sports stats. Ultimately, it just depressed me and I knew that was because all the emphasis was in the wrong place. I wasn't liked linked to the idea of how my body felt and what it needed, which is really what I wanted to be doing instead.

I am getting to the point with the water aerobics, where I just go with how good it feels, especially to be in the right form and pace. I am more like; gee the endorphins are kicking in and how lucky I am this trail is here! Anyway do you think that's kind of like where you are with the exercise burnout?

lmggallagher

Postby vanessa40 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:01 pm

OMG..You are so right
See i use to journal over at bodybuliding.com. After i lost my most of my weight i wanted to trim up some so i thought ok weight training is the way to go. I started a journal in the woman section and started chatting with a few ladies there. I got all into that and went from there. I hate to say it but i had my daily routine down to the minute. Now i am really trying to get out of that whole way of life and mindset. I am trying to be kinder to my body. Besides all that work and protein was killing me. After you do something for so long your body get use to it and you stall.
Now i want to focus on eating healthy and just enjoying what i do.

Today for the first time in a long time i enjoyed my workout. I walk/jogged on the treadmill for 3 miles. Later i will do some yoga..

Thanks for helping me see the light ;)
To Err Is Human
To Forgive Is Canine
vanessa40

Postby lmggallagher » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:19 pm

Actually - you knew this all before you even got here! As for me, reading what you were saying made me realize I didn't want to go down the road of stat tracking again. I think the little tickers are OK for me, but not miles, laps or repetitions. Personally, I don't want to compete with myself anymore! The only numbers I really want are the blood panel stats to see my numbers go healthy and that will be like every 6 months. I know every day that those numbers are improving and it makes me SOOOO HAPPY! The weight can take all the time it wants and if I wake up and say no exercise today because I don't feel up to it, so be it.

I also read another thing in your journal that was important to hear at the exact right time; that is your hubby grew up on a farm and is still eating the meat, but that's OK by you because you know being all preachy over it would be just wrong. How did I know that and forget yesterday! Look for for true confessions of hopefully a previously preachy person in my journal. I have to get courageous enough to admit it and stick with it. Sadly, that might take just a wee bit more soul searching on my part!
Last edited by lmggallagher on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lmggallagher

Postby blondie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:23 pm

Some good food for thought here, Michelle and Vanessa. Thank you. I have really been enjoying walking in the park these past few weeks -- I think I have been dreading winter this year because I'm worried I won't be able to walk when it gets really cold. (It is always windy in Missouri!) I do the elliptical at the gym on Tues and Thurs and walk at the park Mon Wed Fri -- I count the minutes on the elliptical and can't wait for the time to be up, and it's really getting to be such a chore. Walking on the treadmill on days when I can't go to the park is so boring! So maybe I need to be thinking about other things that I can do, that I will actually ENJOY doing.
[/url]
Image[/url]>
blondie

Postby lmggallagher » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:01 pm

Please forgive me Vanessa - I'm just littering up your journal, but blondie made another light bulb go on, so I got share this before I forget. Hope it's relevant to something, if not just more of my random weird trivia - I am full of it (in so many ways :lol: ).

Some years ago when the fibromyalgia was really horrible and I couldn't do any regular type exercise, I was looking for a book or DVD on low impact exercise. I found this book that was kind of off topic, but it gave me a huge boost that I was actually doing countable exercise in my daily chores and other activities. Like vacuuming so many minutes was worth an 1/2 hour walk (in my house it should be worth a lot more and it is like the most killer chore for my fibro of all) or yard work. It almost sounds lazy, because I was doing some of the stuff anyway. But after I read that it actually was good for my garden and house because I was willing to put more time & energy into chores and actually oddly, ENJOY doing them. I wish I could remember the name, but it had all types of equivalents for other activities and standard exercise as well. It also took the pressure off even when I could do more, because I always had this war going in my head: should clean the house or drive an hour to go swimming, it just stressed me out, no more. Like, I wonder what walking a dog in a Halloween costume is in exercise equivalents :lol:

lmggallagher

Postby vanessa40 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:19 am

LOL..Please post away. I learn so much from everyone here.

It is really hard for me sometimes not to say anything. I remember from reading and watching the video's that you should not say anything while eating. If they ask just say and I have that i would love to talk about this..just not over dinner. My husband ask my why i had given up eating eggs..He was amazed at how much the Sam's Club bill had went down. No more cartons of eggs,bags of frozen chicken breast and salmon. He only buys one bag of fish and chicken for him to eat. He buys my oats and veggies there but that is it for me now.
I am just happy that he understands my point of view and respects it. That is all i can ask for...

Michelle- I saw a website on time that listed how many calories things you do during the day burn. I need to find that one again.
You have to post a picture of your pup in a Halloween costume.

Well today i got up and didn't feel like running outside so i didn't.
Good for me ;)
I will pick out something i will enjoy doing later today
To Err Is Human
To Forgive Is Canine
vanessa40

Postby lmggallagher » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:42 am

Good morning Vanessa:

Ah, the dog in costume would be your dog! So you have to post the picture. I have two not purebred, Siamese cats - boy Weasel, girl Swoozie. They will not consent to costumes! They barely will wear collars! Hahaha! I can tell you love the animals, the run you plan is for a shelter, right? So who and what are your pets. I know you have a dog! I know blondie has a naughty cat, hehehe!

Glad you won't be running in the rain today :) I'll be swimming in a hot water pool all covered and warm. It's really the best thing for my fibromyalgia, but I have a bit of a drive to get there and it is expensive. So I just go two days a week. We have the best (and cutest trainer) Nathan. He just finished college and knows so much about sports medicine. I have been demanding he read "China Study" too - he is a health professional so I think it's mandatory for him. For you, just pleasure reading though :) It's a bit scientific, but boy is it eye opening!

I am glad you are seeing savings on the food. My costs have gone down by half! Mostly, that was getting rid of processed foods. Just like you I was adding like protein to my meals. I knew that the plants had enough protein and I didn't need to, but I couldn't visualize like broccoli without tofu or something. I am over that now - due to the reading and these much lower grocery bills.

I think blondie is the Queen of food savings though, she even buys oats and rice in 50 lb bags and then breaks those into gallon bags for her freezer. Clever saver- I love that she said it takes up the room where some of the meat used to be. Her hubby still eats the meat like yours. Cool that both of your husbands are supportive :)

Well, got to go - have FUN today!

lmggallagher

Postby simoncat » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:05 pm

Vanessa, welcome. It looks like you are doing really well. Enjoy your 5k. I also walk and run and find both enjoyable. Don't push yourself too hard or you'll stop liking it; at least, that is what I have found. I'm glad you are here. What is your dog going to be for Halloween?
simoncat

Postby blondie » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:25 pm

:lol: The queen of food savings! I like that, Michelle. I could eat for weeks without going to the store, that's for sure, oatmeal, rice, and dried beans would keep me going for a long time.

Vanessa, hope you had a good day today. I agree you need to post a pic of your pooch in her costume! :nod:
[/url]
Image[/url]>
blondie

Postby vanessa40 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:44 am

Good Morning..

Yesterday was another success. I decided for my exercise that i would do 45 mins of My Fitness Coach and 20 mins of yoga. It felt great just doing something different.

I have not decided what i will do today and that is ok. I am trying not to be so anal and plan everything out to the last detail.

My weight is down a pound to 132 and the funny thing is a ate more carbs than i ever have..i use to be one of those carb phobic people. I mean there were days i ate no starchy carbs at all. Needless to say i was not a happy person to be around. It amazes me that there can be so much misinformation out there.

Another thing i know brought my weight down is i am cutting out all the hard candy i eat. I love those peppermints and cinnamons. Do you know that three of them are 60 calories and a ton of sugar. So enough of that..it is an addiction that i have to break.

Yes i am an animal lover and reading and watching the video's really made me think..there was one talking about how chickens and pigs are smarter than dogs and how they care for their young and love each other...that broke my heart to think how they are treated..when anyone ask why i eat the way i do i tell them it's because i love animals. I could not imagine cooking Muffin(my dogs name) and having her for dinner.

My poor baby is almost 13 and that is old in chihuahua years. I use to really dress her up. This year i just got her some Halloween PJ's . I will post a picture..I call her Halloween Hugh Hefner..since he always wears PJ's.

Yesterday's FitBit Totals

Calories Burned-1680
Steps-6855
Miles-3.04

Today i hope they wind wind will die down a bit so i can sit outside and read. I have a few horror movies DVR that i am going to watch and also American Horror Story my new fave show on FX. I think Grimm starts tonight. I have heard some so-so reviews on it.
I am bummed because sine that baseball game is still going on Fringe will not be on..Oh well

Hope you all have a wonderful day..Enjoy :)
To Err Is Human
To Forgive Is Canine
vanessa40

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals