Whatsoever Things Are Good

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Whatsoever Things Are Good

Postby carollynne » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:48 am

Hi JennyLori!
Hey I had to write again and say I must agree with Jim on the limits and knowing yourself. I have so little willpower as well. I can completely understand his statements. I have 3 pomegranates sitting on my counter and I need to try them again. The last one was too bitter, and I used some of the seeds in my vitamix drink smoothie instead. but still all you can do is suck the juice off the seeds and then have to spit out the seeds right? :o
Hey I must have missed something, what did you mean by you are moving the discussion off line? I will miss you both!! I need all the help I can muster off this board and reading all the msg at times, will keep my not eating...
Hey one more thing your son going off to the Navy, he must be so proud of you for losing wt and getting healthy too. My 3 sons are of me, and so I hate to disappointment them. I keep that in my mind too.
Last edited by carollynne on Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby LoriJenny » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:05 pm

It's Monday morning and I'm not at work :) I just took my Bear out on a walk and we enjoyed a foggy morning, which is a rarety here in the desert! I waited until I was hungry and had a big bowl of oatmeal with maybe an ounce of almonds chopped up in it. It was so warm and good, I have really come to look forward to and love my oatmeal for breakfast.

Carollynne, me and my daughter in law both do not mind eating the seed of the pomegranate, but my son spits the seed out. I think you can do it either way, but they don't bother my teeth at all, so I just eat them!! Most of our pomegranates have been very sweet, and some of the bitter ones I could pour orange juice on to sweeten them up, I did have one that was so bitter it ended up in the trash though!

Jim, Jan, and Carollynne, thanks for the thoughts about eating during the holidays, I will really have to consider this and decide what to do, I think I, at least, want to be able to make some things for the boys. We will see, I will consider it a little while...I probably don't have a whole lot of self control either, and it is an addiction that can really suck me in.

I will be gone Wednesday-Friday, visiting my parents. I'm going to bring my own food, because otherwise I know I won't enjoy the visit because I won't feel well at all!!

Carollynne, both my boys have told me that they are proud of me and support what I am doing. Last night the older son said they wanted to have dinner and watch a movie with me, but did I want to make my own because they were making roast beast?? So, I did make my own food, and they had theirs and we ate together and watched a movie together. That meant alot to me because the emphasis was on being and eating together, not on what we were eating. :) Honestly, it did not matter that we were not eating the exact same thing. And the dogs seemed just as interested in my pomegranate as they were in the roast beast...lol!!!
LoriJenny

Postby f1jim » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:45 pm

One of the saddest periods here on the forum is the January posts from the members telling in excruciating detail, how they got "sucked in" and lost it big time. Usually by something innocuous. Suddenly there was a crack in the dam and down it went. We all have an idea of what can send us spiralling out of control and if you an keep a handle on it that is the best. It's agony reading many of the post holiday posts, especially in the journal. It's even harder to see that contrast with those that didn't get drawn into the quicksand. I am sure you know yourself well enough to know your own limits.
Good luck.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby LoriJenny » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:09 pm

Hi Jim, Thanks...wow...I think most people would really benefit from reading your post. I thought about it alot today and decided that the best way for me to go is to not indulge, but continue on with my McDougalling ways. I think I will enjoy the holiday more actually and instead of concentrating on the food so much, or rather, stuffing myself like I used to, I can concentrate on family and spending time together, which is really what it's all about anyway. I think I will still make a couple of holiday treats, like a plate of fudge and a batch of my shortbread cookies, but I think I will be able to do this and not indulge at all, just do it for my sons. Once I made this decision I felt so peaceful and happy, I really felt lighter. I know this is the way to go for this year, I will start 2012 healthier and happier.

I was having a craving today...for blackberries!! I ran out and it's all I could think about, I made sure to stop at Costco, and I was there before all the treats were out, and I got my blackberries...a pretty big box of them for 2.97!! What a deal! I had to smile to myself a bit because I was craving something that I could have, there's a nice change!!
LoriJenny

Postby LoriJenny » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:52 pm

Wishing everyone a happy and peaceful thanksgiving :) I will be back friday or saturday, I'm bringing all my own food, so I've been quite busy today with the normal packing plus my food! I'm happy and excited to see family, and it will be a different holiday for me because I will feel well!
LoriJenny

Postby janluvs2heel » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:23 pm

LoriJenny wrote:Wishing everyone a happy and peaceful thanksgiving :) I will be back friday or saturday, I'm bringing all my own food, so I've been quite busy today with the normal packing plus my food! I'm happy and excited to see family, and it will be a different holiday for me because I will feel well!

Have a safe & wonderful Thanksgiving, LoriJenny.

I know what you mean about feeling well!! Another reason to be thankful, huh?
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby Dendra » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:34 pm

Enjoy your holiday. Taking your own food sounds like a good idea.

As to the pomegranites, I just chomp down and eat the seeds too. They take some chewing. They are definitely 'roughage'.

When I have a lot of them, I squeeze them (this can be messy and is done outside, lol), put the juice in the fridge and in 24 hours, decant the clear dark liquid from the top. The stuff that precipitates is bitter. Then just add a couple tablespoons to a glass of sparkling water, and if you like, the sweetening of your choice. Really good. The stuff you squeeze yourself is much richer than store-bought juices.
Dendra

Postby carollynne » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:06 am

ok, thanks for those tips on the poms, I have a few here to eat and I will try to eat the seeds and see, perhaps they are just too bitter, way up north here.
I wish you all a very happy thanksgiving, and yes being vegan and getting healthy is something to be thankful for I agree!!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby LoriJenny » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:04 pm

Thanksgiving is over...time to move on!! I did okay, not perfectly though, so I could be upset with myself about that, but I think it's better to move on, grow stronger and do better at Christmas time.

Here is something I am thinking about doing:

http://www.grapestomptri.org

Looks like fun and it would be motivating for me and something to look forward to. Just thinking though...not committing to it yet.
LoriJenny

Postby carollynne » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:38 pm

LoriJenny, I just realized that I often type your name wrong. So sorry about that one. I wanted to write and say, yes, move on, and forgive yourself too. We are all only human, and fail often. I think it is so wonderful, that you brought your own food and enjoyed the pomegranates while the boys had the animal products. It is life. it is out there, and in my house daily too. I don't know why, but the animal flesh meals do not tempt me at all. but let it be hidden, like the butter, or cookies or cakes I have to steel myself but good.
We will get there, and Rome was not built in a day, remember?
carollynne

Postby LoriJenny » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:41 pm

Thanks Carollynne, I so appreciate the encouragement!!! I'm thinking of making up a pomegranate and some blackberries and watching one of my favorite Christmas movies...Christmas in Connecitcut...the old one in black and white. :)
LoriJenny

Postby LoriJenny » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:33 pm

Just for fun, and inspiration:

"All our dreams can come true...if we have the courage to pursue them."

"If you can dream it, you can do it."

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

"The way to get started is to quit talking, and start doing."

"When you believe a thing, believe it all the way, implicitly and unquestionably."

These are quotes from one very beloved American...wanna guess who??? :)
LoriJenny

Postby LoriJenny » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:58 pm

The quotes above are from Walt Disney :D
LoriJenny

Postby Christine in Cali » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:15 am

I was going to say Jiminy Cricket......

Just stopping in to say hi....glad your still at it.
"Nature won't be denied"
Christine in Cali

Postby kirstykay » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:23 am

LoriJenny wrote:Just for fun, and inspiration:

"All our dreams can come true...if we have the courage to pursue them."

"If you can dream it, you can do it."

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

"The way to get started is to quit talking, and start doing."

"When you believe a thing, believe it all the way, implicitly and unquestionably."

These are quotes from one very beloved American...wanna guess who??? :)

I like these!!! Thanks for the inspiration! :nod:
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals