Lynn's Beginngings

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Lynn's Beginngings

Postby 711Gal » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:52 pm

Well, this is not a new beginning but a "restart" to stop a plateau, so tomorrow I will begin journal my intake of food on here. After watching Mike Teehan's video on the "no added fat" I might just have to stock up on potatoes (I LOVE them!)

Was wondering though, Quinoa has got to be a good "starch" too doesn't it? Or is it just a grain :?:

I just love Quinoa too... okay... off to sleep. Sweet dreams everyone!
Our bodies are our garden, our will it's gardeners. - William Shakespeare.
711Gal

Re: Lynn's Beginngings

Postby Rosey » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:22 pm

Restarting is a good thing. You can do this. I think quinoa is just a grain but maybe someone else knows more then I do on that.
Rosey

Postby suz729 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:30 pm

Hope this helps 711Gal

Commonly considered a grain, quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is actually a seed which is related to leafy green vegetables such as spinach, chard and beets. Once considered the “mother seed” of the Incas, this South American native is a nutritional powerhouse and its wide array of potential culinary uses makes it one of the most practical foods to store in your pantry.

Suz

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/quinoa ... z1av5UpZJ0
suz729

Postby janluvs2heel » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:46 am

711Gal wrote:Well, this is not a new beginning but a "restart" to stop a plateau, so tomorrow I will begin journal my intake of food on here. After watching Mike Teehan's video on the "no added fat" I might just have to stock up on potatoes (I LOVE them!)

Was wondering though, Quinoa has got to be a good "starch" too doesn't it? Or is it just a grain :?:

Hi Lynn,

Glad to hear that you watched Mike T's lecture. He is very good, but fun to listen to. Didn't feel like a lecture at all & it got me re-started, too. And he has maintained his weight for a couple years, still eating the same as when he started. He is also a Star McDougallar.

I am sure you will be sliding off your plateu very shortly & movin' on down in your weight.

Can't speak about Quinoa, I have never tried it, but I guess I better since I keep hearing good things about it.
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby 711Gal » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:42 am

Good morning all! Here we go with a great restart:

Plans for today:

Breakfast: Cubed potatoes with spincach, cauliflower, corn and pinto beans. (I am going to label this ..... Lynn's Mexi Bowl Breakfast), since I used cumin, red chili powder and a touch of my red chili sauce.

After that we are off to the local growers market to see what goodies they may contain this morning.

Lunch: the plan is baked potato and spinach and veggie side salad. Not sure yet, will log it when it happens for sure.

Dinner was going to be Chapti pizza's, however, I am going to lay off any kind of bread at this point, even though we eat mostly sprouted grains - still I think bread slows my process down.

So, will log dinner when we have figured that one out too!

Exercise: Walk with the hubby, 30 minutes of yoga and about 15 minutes on the stability ball for abs!

Okay.... the day begins.....
711Gal

Postby 711Gal » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:44 am

Oh yea, and thanks for the info on Quinoa, since I eat it ton, I wasn't sure if it was a starch or just a grain.

Also, darn, can't believe I spaced this off, we are having a little bit of Teff with breakfast this morning. It's our first time trying this little power house, but will let you know!!
711Gal

Postby Gramma Jackie » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:47 am

711Gal wrote:Well, this is not a new beginning but a "restart" to stop a plateau, so tomorrow I will begin journal my intake of food on here. After watching Mike Teehan's video on the "no added fat" I might just have to stock up on potatoes (I LOVE them!)

Grains are starches. Who knew? Ha ha. :lol: I am looking forward to Dr. McDougall'snew book that coming out next spring called "The Starch Solution." I'm sure it will answer a lot more of our questions about starches.
Gramma Jackie

Postby 711Gal » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:10 pm

Okay journal update:

B: Seasoned cubed potatoes with, a mix of corn, spinach and pinto beans on top, seasoned with chili, cumin and red chili sauce. And a small side bowl of teff grain.

S: baked potato with a pinch of salt and garlic powder.

L: Mixed greens salad with shredded zucchini, carrots, chopped cucumber and garbanzo beans, with Wisabi Dijon fat free dressing and 1/2 chapati (bread) last of the batch I made on Thursday.

S: 2 small baked potatoes (was hungry) with green chili (hot - wow!) and a smidge of the teff I cooked this morning spread on the top.

D: Stuffed Acorn squash, stuffed with Quinoa, onions, kale and light seasoning.

E: I think I had more time planned than I did. :crybaby: So stability ball is all I got to, will do some yoga before bed as it is so darn relaxing! We need a little zen smiley face! :nod:
711Gal

Postby 711Gal » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:20 pm

Okay, Monday Oct 17th.
At work but going to post the day thus far.
(By the way, never go to the Yoga last night! Darn it all!)

B: Leftovers from dinner last night with a mix of leftover from breakfast yesterday morning. Put it in a bowl and only ate half of it. For some reason I wasn't that hungry this moring!

Plus I weighed in this morning also, and I am down 2.5 lbs from Friday, I was at 203 now at 199.5 YAY!! Over the 200 hump!

S: 1 hour before working out I had a potato

E: (at 12:00pm lunchtime) 45minutes of my Leslie Sansone "Walk Away Your Waste line" (WWL from now on). 3 mile walk DVD. GREAT workout!

L: Nice spring mix salad with some spinach greens thrown in shredded carrots, zucchini, and chopped cucumbers, garbanzo beans and Fat Free Wasabi Dijon dressing. 2 corn tortillas toasted, nothing on them.

S: will be another baked potato around 3:00ish.

Will record the evening when I get home!
711Gal

Postby SactoBob » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:56 pm

Lynn,
Just a couple of quick comments on lunch, which is the only meal so far with data.

From the web, the ingredients of the Wasabi dressing are:

Water, cider vinegar, Cane Syrup, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Honey, Dijon Mustard (Black Mustard Seeds, Vinegar, White Wine, Salt, Spices)Cellulose Gel, Cellulose Gum, Salt, Mustard Flour, Mustard (Cider Vinegar, Mustard, Water, Salt, Propylene Glycol Alginate, Oil of Pepper)Concentrated Lemon Juice, Brown Mustard Seed, Xanthan Gum, Natural Flavor, Potato starch, Granulated Onion, Potassium Sorbate (to Preserve Freshness)Caramel Color (contains Sulfites)Wasabi Powder, Granulated Garlic.

That is a big dose of sugar, in fact I am pretty sure that it is mostly sugar. Water doesn't count, and ingredients numbers 2,3, and 4 are sugar. This could be a very deceptive label since the serving size is so small that they are allowed to round everything down to zero. This is quite a chemical cocktail. You would be better off with just straight balsamic vinegar, or better yet, just lime juice for a dressing. And this doesn't even account for the 200 mg salt against only 35 calories per serving. Too much salt!

Jeff Novick has a great DVD on the subject of label reading. Of course the best way to read the label is to put it back on the shelf and get a whole plant food from the produce department that doesn't need a label.

The other things are the two corn tortillas. You would be much better off ditching those for some type of whole plant food like an apple or a veggie serving. If you look at people experiencing lack of success over the long term on the McDougall plan, you will find that dried goods like tortillas and cold cereals and rice cakes and puffed grains tend to be used very often. These have a higher calorie density and so they taste better, which is what appeals to the taste. These are not foods you want to consume much if at all if you are stalled at a high weight.
SactoBob

Postby Adrienne » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:35 pm

Actually Dr McD does not put corn tortillas into the same category as cold cereals and allows them for those following MWL and serves them at the MWL live-in programs. He explains why here:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl/ ... ushing.htm

I agree with Bob's endorsement of Jeff's label reading DVD - it is such an eye-opener.

Lynn you are doing well!!
Adrienne

Postby 711Gal » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:23 pm

Bob:
You are incorrect on the Wasabi Dressing. It does not contain ANY high fructose corn syrup. At least not the kind I purchase. I am a label reader. Have been seen DH and I have gone Kosher. Which is over 3 years. High fructose corn syrup has always been a "no no" on our list of goods.

I have the poppy seed on in the Fridge, I brought the other to work, but the basic ingredients vary slightly...
Ingredients: Water, sugar, cider vinegar, seasoning blend, (malodextrin, food starch-modified, salt, natural flavor, paprika, titanium dioxide), concentrated lemon juice, poppy seeds, minced onion, natural flavor, xanthan gum, potassium sorbate (to preserve freshness).
So there is the ingredient list of the Fat Free Poppyseed Dressing. I doubt that is the problem anyway, since I don't even have it more than twice a week.

And the corn tortillas, according to the MWL are okay. They even serve them at the 10 day (group?) that they have in Santa Rosa. It's on the MWL Summary.
711Gal

Postby 711Gal » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:34 pm

Bob:
I see where you got the info from. But the bottle I just picked up yesterday has no high fructose corn syrup in it or corn syrup for that matter, but am puzzled as why the ingredient list is different on the webpage. I can scan the label tomorrow at work. I find that bizarre.

Okay for dinner:
1/2 cup brown rice, 1/4 cup black beans, corn, spinach in a tomato sauce, seasoned with red chili powder, cumin, green chili, onion powder and garlic powder.

It actually made a lot, so I saved some for lunch tomorrow!

I believe I am going to try buckwheat for breakfast tomorrow. My husband did the same thing with that as we do with the oatmeal. Add Almond milk, let is soak over night and viola! Breakfast! He had me taste the buckwheat this morning and OH MY! It was good!
711Gal

Postby 711Gal » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:36 pm

Thanks Adrienne! I'm excited. It's really interesting to see the things I was doing incorrectly, or possibly the mentality of "thinking you can get away with it" because it's vegan.
711Gal

Postby SactoBob » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:06 pm

Hi, Lynn. Interesting info on the dressing. The info I got was from the web, and maybe you are using a different product. One of the problems with processed foods in general is that labels can also change. I got into a problem with that when I was starting and Jeff helped me out of that mistake. I am interested in the specific brands of soy milk/almond milk/rice milk that you use. That is another area where the labels are important to read carefully. If you haven't seen Jeff's lecture on this topic, it is very unlikely that you know to read a label and get the proper info - they can be quite deceptive.

Re the corn tortillas, I should be clear. It is true that these are allowed on the MWL plan and served at Dr. McDougall's programs. If you want somebody who knows all the rules of any particular program, I am probably not the person to help you. I hired Jeff as my dietician and learned the principles of the program from him, and not any set of rules. Probably the closest thing to a rule that Jeff advises everybody is this:

JeffN wrote:But what is more important and what I feel to be the most important test, is what I call the "plate test." Very few people know about it yet it is one of the most effective tests and simple and easy to do and very inexpensive. You can even do it at home.

Here is how you do it.

When you sit down to eat each meal, look at your "plate" and see if it passes this "test", the "Plate Test."

Are at least 95% of the calories on your plate coming from unrefined unprocessed fruits, vegetables, starchy vegetables, intact whole grains and/or legumes? Are there at least 12-15 grams of fiber coming from whole natural foods? Does it meet my guidelines for sodium? Are any "exceptions" being kept to less than 5% of calories?

If your meal passes this "Plate Test", then I think that is the most effective test you can ever have done and the best indicator of your future health and longevity.

:)

In Health
Jeff Novick, MS, RD

Since I had failed trying to apply various rules based versions of Dr. McDougall's plans, Jeff was careful to explain this issue to me. He first emphasized that Dr. M's published material was directed to the general public, and that they were not directed to solve anybody's personal issues. The corn tortillas, rice cakes, flour products, breads, etc. were all discussed because they were things I loved and things that were not recommended for me. Jeff emphasizes that he and Dr. McDougall, when they treat patients, do not simply put them on a plan that he has published. Some people are not allowed some of the higher calorie density foods that others are permitted. So my point was not that there was anything inherently wrong with tortillas. With your stubborn weight problem, you would simply be better off with a less calorie dense choice. That is what is going to give you the solid , motivating, and exciting change that you are looking for.

Jeff once addressed a writer with a weight issue who had not experience success, and who thought that various rules and categories of food published by Dr. McDougall were paramount. Jeff put it this way in explaining why this was not correct:

JeffN wrote: Snyders Pretzels are on the approved list for the regular program. Do you think someone could live on just Snyders pretzels, and/or Snyders Pretzels as their main starch with a few servings of fruit and veggies a day? Can Snyders Pretzels, be used as someones main starch?

Jeff discusses this issue in great detail in this thread, which I think is must reading:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14185

So the straight MWL plan can work for many without any tuning. Those with special problems may need some tuning. What if you substitutes rice cakes, or popcorn, or tortillas in place of Snyders Pretzels. You could have the same absurd result. So I am not claiming that anything is inherently wrong with these foods, but as I said, that YOU would be better off by replacing them with a whole plant food. Jeff is always going to recommend corn over a corn tortilla. You have tried to apply the McDougall plan and your weight loss has (hopefully had) stalled at much too high BMI. We still aren't sure why that is, but Jeff emphasized to me the importance of whole plant foods, and the importance of avoiding excessive use of dried goods and flour products. Like you, I had a serious obesity problem as well as diabetes and heart disease, not to mention kidney stones, indigestion, chronic sinusitis, and a host of other problems.

Jeff really helped me understand the importance of putting my situation in perspective and designing a fairly optimal plan for me. I am not sure how much it differed from the books because I haven't committed them to memory and don't use them. I went with Jeff's approach, and am happy to share what I learned if you think that this is how you would like to go.

If you prefer an approach based upon the rules in one of Dr. M's books for the public, there are lots of people here who can help you, and some of them have succeeded spectacularly with that approach. The fact that you have stalled where you are might suggest that you need more - or maybe it will be just a matter of weeding out a problem or two. I am confident in any event that if you do the work you will no doubt succeed, and that is a lot more important than whose approach you like best.

If you like, I'll keep posting here, and if you prefer, I am happy to defer to others. I do think it is important to apply a consistent approach. A favorite saying is that a man with a watch know the time, but a man with two watches is never sure.
SactoBob

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning