my Engine 2 diet for 28 days

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: my Engine 2 diet for 28 days

Postby Concerned » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:07 am

Hi,
Congratulations, it sounds like you've done great during these weeks!
Could you post the recipe for your cabbage and potato soup? I am always looking for recipes that are acceptable to SAD eaters.
Thanks!
Concerned

Postby carollynne » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:08 pm

HI, and well about that cabbage and potato soup it is just something I throw together, a bit different each time. So here goes:
In water to half fill about 3 or 4 qt pot, add some veggie broth and the other spices I use are: bay leaf, salt, pepper, garlic, and then time I added 1/2 tsp of pickling spice.
I put in about half a med head of cabbage chopped up into chunks, and anywhere from 3 to 5 white potatoes (any kind will do), quartered up and leave the skins on them.
I also add some onion, like 1 or 2 quartered, and 2 carrots, in chunks, and 2 stalks of celery too. it is a great soup, and you can experiment til it tastes good to you! The cabbage and onion will disappear into the soup, and the potatoes will start to dissolve, the skins will float off eventually. I also add in the beginning of cooking about 1/3 cup of barley right into the pot and it will cook in the soup.
have some fun, and enjoy it while it is cooking!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby blondie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:12 pm

That is so exciting that you have found a doctor that supports you in this way of eating!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
311 all-time highest weight. Began McDougall plan at 300 lb. on 2/9/2011.
blondie

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:21 pm

mmmm, yeah, with barley in there! ooh, baby! *slurp*

I've got a half head of cabbage in the fridge, and wanted to find something without tomatoes in it, and this looks like just the thing! :unibrow: thanks :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby carollynne » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:24 pm

Hey HI to blondie and buns!
Yes, I am so glad that I have found Dr Liz and her office just called me and said the doc said ok, and have my records transferred to the office, so I will go and sign the required paper to do that maybe tomorrow of Monday.
All was well and fine today, and then I realized that the oven was just not heating up at all, and wow, tonight is the vegan pot luck mtg... so here I go trying to figure it all out. I got my stuffed peppers and stuffed banana peppers ( yes they are a bit hot for me too) and put it all in the big crock pot. that was enough work, and then thought oh maybe it will turn on for a lo broil setting and wow it does, so I popped my dessert in there which is sliced up green apples with some brown rice syrup and some maple syrup and also some spices and lemon and orange zest and some apple cider for good measure. It is divine!
But the main dish I had planned will have to go in there as well. But there is plenty of time. Son did the ranch lentils last night, and the rice pilaf for the stuffing too! All the peppers were home grown.
added some of the lentil juice and a can of diced toms, no salt name Muir Glen, son likes to buy... sure wish my own tomatoes had done anything to brag about this summer.
BF my usual oats and fruit later on a banana
after gym cut up veggies and one potato
L potato, red, lettuce and some of rice pilaf and ranch lentils. they are good! I blenerized some of them and it like a spread or a dip.
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby carollynne » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:07 pm

pot luck was great!! PPl all weer a lot more friendly and shared more and everyone labeled their dishes this time. I loves several of the soups and there was some great looking spinach, which I ate plain, with nothing added, and the lady who brought them was from a CSA organic farm in the ares... wow, so perhaps I will be getting a CSA box in the future. Our grad night will not be a pot luck, and we are going to meet at the restaurants called Pure and Simple, for a vegan catered meal, and the doc will show us some charts for the numbers.
Since it was Halloween night as I drove thru one little town, it was cute to see some kids all dressed up in costume, and parents going around to find some candy door to door. Shrek was there sitting on a stoop with his lady love too! that was so nice to see.
A good day, and I will stay on this WOE to see my HBP resolved !! It is just taking longer than I ever expected too.
Came home, and put all the stuff away, cleaned up some, and left the rest til tomorrow. It can all wait!
carollynne

Postby kittyadventures » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:40 am

Hi Carollynne,

WOW you have had a busy week.

Keep up the good work.

You are doing great.

I am thinking I need to try those ranch lentils... they sound yummy!
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby carollynne » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:23 am

hello again! thanks for the encouragement here kitty!! reminds me of Gunsmoke!! with Matt Dillon and Kitty Russel at the long branch... my parents loved that series...
today is Day 22 and all is well, I saw 169.8 this am!!~ was so happy to see that number again.... the 169. anything, it is always a long trial for me to drop a few lbs and keep them down there, but it is happening and cannot believe it myself....
Tomorrow am, DS and I are going to get our blood work up done again for the E2 after lab, and hope to see an improvement altho the first ones were great for both of us, and his were better!
The ranch lentils are yummy and do not know why they are called that, but it is a recipe on line that DS found. He loves to research recipes and check out all the comments too. this one I will have to find and make them up myself. Lentils are so easy to make up. then you can puree them a bit and voila, a dip, or a spread etc.

BF: oats and fruit, and some of the lentil spread on a whole wheat bread, a no no!!
then after doing s lot of housework, including weeding the garden a bit too, I made up a salad and took off for errands, and just munched on the different greens along the drive! crazy I know!
Tried on more pants at a store and the 14 s still fit, but must find a pr that look like me!! got a pr of fleecy pants for wear in the house that are mickey mouse !

L : First I was starved, so I had a red potato quick. then walked the dog outside.... then had some leftovers from the rice, lentils, and added some greens, kale, and spinach, and some of my own roasted red pepper, that I did in oven, with nothing on the red pepper at all, it is very flavorful, it is a good addition. Now I am good and done!!
I picked up for DH some food off the hot buffet for his dinner, and altho it is SAD he has not made the cross over yet, so I might as well do myself a big favor and just pick it up for him. His fav: chicken corn soup, mac and cheese and a fried chicken couple of pcs. What can I say, it is what it is... but at least I do not have to mess up the kitchen doing that stuff.
That reminds me of something. the lady at the last week's vegan of E2 potluck ppl, said she could not find a think she liked so she altho was a diabetic, would stick with the ADA recommendations. Her friend told us that last night. oh well, not everyone will get "it" and that is life and choices.
You know I am trying hard to keep busy, and not think of food, or anything stressful in my family tree, and it is working too! life is good!!
carollynne

Postby rebecca » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:53 pm

Hi Carollynne,
Looks like things are falling in place for you. :-D It is crazy how soon your tastes change. I also enjoy eating salad free of any dressing so I can taste it. I belong to a CSA and I do love it. Just wanted to let you know that I made a crock pot full of potato and cabbage soup the other night after I read about it in your journal :unibrow: Even my 14 year old ate it.
Keep up the good work and soon the 169 will be in the dust!
:mrgreen:
rebecca

Postby Rosey » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:21 pm

HUGS!!! Just thought I'd stop by and give ya HUGS!!!
Rosey

Postby carollynne » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:36 am

well it is Halloween!! Yes, and I am doing well with a ton of candy around here! I am taking a big bucket of it over to a friend's for the trick or treaters tonight!
We did lose power for 24 hrs, this weekend with the Nor-easter that came by us. We have never seen any snow this early I must admit, but we do have a wood burner insert so it was ok!! It also has a cook top surface that we were able to heat up water and so on. I went to a Pampered Chef party and was the only one that did not eat the pasta with cream cheese sauce and the dessert, all made in the microwave!
but I bought the microwave chip maker and the citrus press bpoth of which I thought that Ds could use.
Nothing new with my menu, same old same old stuff, steel cut oats, red potatoes reheated up on stove with a few spices. rice for lunch with lentils and cauliflower left overs. Now I am going to have some greens, my kale and toms!!
have a good time at Halloween my dear readers!! nothing like kids getting candy to perk up things. I am going back to my friends to help pass out the candy and see the kiddies in costume.......
carollynne

Postby carollynne » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:06 am

Morning after Halloween... I just made myself a nice juicer juice of 4 long carrots, some lettuce-- red and iceberg, and some lemon, and parsley. Now I feel a lot better. It was the real caffeinated tea I had at the P. chef Party, and I really do know better than to do that to myself...
But I always find that real fresh carrot juice is like a super charged drink for me!! And it was Ds who got me onto that particular drink.
Well today will be a clean up day for me, I have a ton of work to get done. but I will be getting to the fitness center and by 930 am this am. I need my exercising to feel like my body is working right. I did not get much exercising in yesterday, it was just so busy getting ready for the 2 men (workmen here putting in a new wood burner inset), and the dog barked all morning with them here. I was exhausted by it. Then the clean up after the chimney was cleaned up and the new liner installed, etc.....
I have the little reds on to boil, and rice, kale mix in the refrig. did I mention that the oven is down for the count too? when it rains, it pours,
You all have a good day out there! the freaky snow storm is receding and things will get back to normal around here soon enough!

did I mention that I did go over to my previous doctor clinic and sign to transfer my records over to the new doctor office? I am just waiting for the call that they were received and then get over there for a phy to start with Dr George, who is a vegan now for 13 months she told us and is a believer in the Dr Essy WOE eating... with all the conferences she is now and has attended with Dr Essy and his colleagues, I am certain that the advice I will be hearing from her is going to be dead on right. It is a bit of a drive, but then again, it will be so well worth it, and all country roads, to get to the interstate will only take me so far of it, and it is out of the way in the wrong way anyway.... so!! Cannot wait for that, I have been unhappy for several years with last doctor every since last doctor told me several times to ease up on my drinking (alcohol) over my high liver enz, and I kept saying I do not drink alcohol. Once I told him I only drank water, and he said so aggressively---GOOD! Finally after a yr of this back and forth and he not believing me, then and only then did he hear me, as I got rather upset with him in the office and was telling him how I was THE only tee-totaler in the entire family tree back to John Alden on the Mayflower who took care of the barrels of wine and beer on the voyage over to the new colony!! Then he looked at me and said, well if your wt has gone up and down a good bit, that could be it too. then he said, one phrase to me, NO more fried foods! Then got me on the quest of eating better and better, doing research on line etc, and really why I delayed with doing that at least on my own was my own denial or what I was doing to myself by eating so unhealthy.... and after a yr of it, my enz came way down in the normal range, but I had 2 liver scans a yr apart, that both said "suspect fatty liver" So I was on a mission and that has led me to the McDougalling way of eating.. and here I will stay!!
Last edited by carollynne on Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
carollynne

Postby blondie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:24 am

Congrats again on finding this new doctor! I hope that you'll get lots of good information and help from her!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
311 all-time highest weight. Began McDougall plan at 300 lb. on 2/9/2011.
blondie

Postby carollynne » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:40 am

Thanks so much Blondie for your encouragement, I really need that. I get none at all from DH!! in fact he is rather put out by my eating so healthy for myself instead of being proud of his wife looking and getting healthier. Well I do not let that bother me one smidgeon at all. Phooey on them all out there.
Yes Dr Liz will be a god sent to me, after my last doc for too long not listening to me, or even talking in a full sentence to me.
well I am off doing a lot today!
have a good day to you!
carollynne

Postby kirstykay » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:31 am

Carollynne,

I like the sound of that juice! I'll have to try it this afternoon!

Good for you for standing up to your doctor and taking your health into your own hands! It sure is paying off! You are doing amazing!! Glad you're here! :)
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals