The Various "Challenges" on the forum.

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: The Various "Challenges" on the forum.

Postby afreespirit » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:21 am

Everyone is free to participate in, or even read about, the challenges, or not. What's the problem? :|
afreespirit

Postby kirstykay » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:41 am

f1jim wrote:It seems to me the challenges need to start with a message outlining the intent of the challenge and any differences or highlights it will focus on so that anyone reading it understands those differences. I might be wrong but a separate challenge forum defeats the idea behind a challenge because it does involve journalling. Also, it usually has people actually doing the program very close to perfection which might be a good thing for everyone to see.
But the key is the explanation at the front of the challenge. It needs to be clear, with everything spelled out carefully. If that is done there shouldn't be much griping. We can all be careful about what is said when someone either accidentally or purposefully messes up in one of the challenges. As long as everyone stays respectful and calm there should be little chance of hurt feelings.
But I also think it would be helpful if those that are against the challenges on the boards spoke up about their reasons for wanting them banned. Again, if there are good reasons I can be convinced. I haven't heard them yet.
f1jim

I think this is a good solution Jim. Let everyone decide for themselves, and not take away something that is having a positive impact for many. Good call. I think we can all get along here and choose what we want to participate in or not. I appreciate you keeping the peace. You do a good job. I personally have learned a lot from the various challenges!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby Gweithgar » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:43 am

I have mostly ignored challenges, but I'm trying to follow along with Sactobob's October challenge. Mostly quietly and not posting every day, but reading everything in both the posts and his blog. I have found real value and learning in this particular challenge. I remember butting heads with Bob back when I started McDougalling and posting here; but I came to realize that his direct and sometimes confrontational style comes from his passionate and committed belief in the benefits of strict adherence to the dietary principles of "our doctors". So Bob is one of my heroes these days.

To me, these challenges are not contests between people; they are personal challenges. It's not about who does the best on the challenge; it's not about winning or losing; it's not about being better than anyone else. What the challenges are about, if one chooses to participate, is the possibility of achieving a personal best with the support of others on the board.

And with the challenge threads, as with any thread on any discussion board, if the water gets too hot you can always just get out of the pool. By which I mean, just don't open or revisit a thread if it really bothers you.
Cet animal est tres mechant; quand on l'attaque, il se defend
(This animal is very wicked; if attacked it defends itself)
Gweithgar

Postby Rosey » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:12 pm

I love reading the challenges and though I don't verbally<type verbal that is> put myself into all of the challenges they are still being helpful to me.
Rosey

Postby Starchyme » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:33 pm

What I like about the forum is that one is able to pick and choose which threads they want to read, or not, and so it goes with challanges.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning