Blondie's October Challenge

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Blondie's October Challenge

Postby vanessa40 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:48 am

Good Morning
I have been there so many times. I start out great having my oatmeal and berries for breakfast and then i eat something sweet and forget it...
I am such and all or nothing person that when i slip up i figure well why bother i have already ruined the day and it goes down hill.

Good luck today and thank you for stopping by my journal :D
To Err Is Human
To Forgive Is Canine
vanessa40

Postby blondie » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:38 pm

Michelle, I think any social gathering is going to be a challenge until this WOE is totally ingrained my psyche! I wonder if the McDougalls or the Esselstynes were ever tempted to eat off plan after they began this? We need to keep reminding ourselves, as frozenveg says, that other stuff isn't food!

Vanessa, you may be right, I am a perfectionist and there could have been some of that "all or nothing" thinking going on. I know that sweet and fatty foods can trigger cravings and stimulate appetite too.

Today's food was totally on plan -- oatmeal with banana, green tea, lentil soup over brown rice, 3 bean salad with red wine vinegar, 1/2 a large honeycrisp apple, and broccoli potato soup. I just started the dishwasher and have pots and pans soaking in the sink. As far as I'm concerned the kitchen is closed for today! :lol:

I went to the park today for a 30 minute walk (the weather in Missouri is gorgeous this week, sunny and warm) and then to the gym for 3x around the resistance circuit.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
311 all-time highest weight. Began McDougall plan at 300 lb. on 2/9/2011.
blondie

Postby landog » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:44 pm

blondie wrote:Today's food was totally on plan -- oatmeal with banana, green tea, lentil soup over brown rice, 3 bean salad with red wine vinegar, 1/2 a large honeycrisp apple, and broccoli potato soup.

All right! Back on the horse.
Great job.

Learn your pitfalls - plan how to avoid them.
Maybe skip the potlucks until next year?

Stay well,
-dog
landog

Postby lmggallagher » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:28 pm

blondie - right on point what you are saying! the frozenveg quote, that this processed stuff isn't food is exactly it! It's manipulated, (fat, sugar and salt mostly) to the point of getting us to eat it and crave more. I have to stick to whole foods. I am getting unbrainwashed: for sure the ads on TV are making me gag, OMG, cheeseburgers yeech! Yet, I read last night in the MWL book that it's OK to celebrate Holiday's. The point McDougall makes time and again, is we can't "eat like Kings and Queens" except on real celebrations. (And McDougall eats an oz. of turkey on TG! ) But not any old Saturday or Sunday like we both did, hahaha! Please, tell me this what does WOE stand for, I am clueless - it always seems out of context in every sentence. :?:

lmggallagher

Postby vanessa40 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:56 am

LOL Michelle i read that part of the book last night and i agree we eat like everyday is a holiday. Well we use too anyway :)

Good job on getting foods back in order. I am still learning my way but thanks for all your help
To Err Is Human
To Forgive Is Canine
vanessa40

Postby blondie » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:28 am

WOE is Way of Eating :)
[/url]
Image[/url]>
blondie

Postby RAS » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:26 am

Hi Blondie,I like seeing your weight chart going down down down.Isn't this fun! :nod: RAS
RAS

Postby blondie » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:23 am

Thanks RAS! I wish the decline were a bit steeper, but that's just my impatience talking! :lol: I'm so glad to have found something I can live with the rest of my life, not so with diets I've tried in the past where I was hungry and unsatisfied all the time!

It's a beautiful day again today, temperatures in the upper 70s and sunny. Several friends on Facebook posted pictures of the Northern Lights which were visible in Missouri last night, but I didn't see anything unusual from my house.

I applied for a job at the local college as an administrative assistant in an office in academic support, and I'm praying that I will get hired. (I've applied for 3 jobs there, been interviewed once, and wasn't hired.) I also registered for classes for spring semester this morning, in case I still don't have a job by the time classes start again in January, I will keep attending school full-time on my master's degree studies. The focus of my masters is educational counseling/ academic advising at the college level, so a job like this could be the "foot in the door" I need to be able to land an adviser position later on. I was an LPN for 25 years and just can't stand the thought of nursing anymore. I have not worked for 2 years, been living on DH's income, as I just couldn't stand going to work anymore -- so burnt out with nursing!! So feeling a little bit stressed today about my future and still the lack of a job, 5 months after finishing my bachelor's degree.

Today is elliptical day for me at the gym, but waiting until later today to go. My cat decided she needed a can of cat food at 1 am, and scratched on the head of my bed until I got up and gave it to her. I couldn't go back to sleep until 5 am, then got up feeling groggy and tired around 8. I'm waking her up everytime I see her sleeping today, hoping she might start sleeping some at night! :lol:

Last edited by blondie on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[/url]
Image[/url]>
blondie

Postby vanessa40 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:42 am

I can understand how you would be burnt out on nursing.I'll keep my fingers crossed about the job you applied for. I know this is a stressful time for a lot of people.
LOL @ keeping the cat awake. That was too funny.

You have a wonderful afternoon.
To Err Is Human
To Forgive Is Canine
vanessa40

Postby lmggallagher » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:27 pm

blondie,

So funny about you keeping the cat awake today. My male cat woke me up early too. Dang, I can't find him - I so wanted to wake him up!

I'll be thinking the good thoughts for you on getting that job! But it's clear you're not one to let the moss grow under your feet, what with going back for a Master's, that's just great! I know you're qualified to be a good advisor too, as you are an ace motivator - which has to be a job requirement, right :-D

lmggallagher

Postby blondie » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:37 pm

Thanks for your support, Michelle and Vanessa! I hope it works out for the best, whatever that turns out to be!

Today's food:
B: Oatmeal wtih banana and 1 tbsp walnuts, green tea
L: Plate of lettuce topped with chopped onion, green pepper, and tomatoes, a bit of leftover brown rice, and 1/4 can of fat-free refried beans, with salsa.
D: White bean and kale soup, apple.

Last evening when I thought I must have been starving and in need of something more to eat, I had a cup of peppermint herb tea and it satisfied me, so that's the plan for this evening instead of a snack.

I went to the gym today and did 30 minutes on the elliptical.
[/url]
Image[/url]>
blondie

Postby vanessa40 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:37 am

Good Morning,
I do love peppermint tea. Just the smell makes me feel good
How did you sleep last night
To Err Is Human
To Forgive Is Canine
vanessa40

Postby woods38 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:57 am

Sounds like nice weather were you are. :)

Good luck with the job hunt. It's very difficult these days. Good move continuing your education. Can't go wrong there. I only have a associates degree and don't see myself going back to school unfortunately. As of next year I will have 2 kids in college.

I also had peppermint tea last night. It is so warming. It's getting colder here, especially at night.

Hope that you have a great day today!
woods38

Postby blondie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:31 am

vanessa40 wrote:Good Morning,
I do love peppermint tea. Just the smell makes me feel good
How did you sleep last night

I slept well, thank you. I bought some dry cat food yesterday so they will have something to nibble on in the middle of the night without having to wake me, and I "slept in" until 6 am this morning. :lol: On my way to the park for a walk now. Hope you have a great day!
[/url]
Image[/url]>
blondie

Postby blondie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:34 am

woods38 wrote:Sounds like nice weather were you are. :)

Good luck with the job hunt. It's very difficult these days. Good move continuing your education. Can't go wrong there. I only have a associates degree and don't see myself going back to school unfortunately. As of next year I will have 2 kids in college.

I also had peppermint tea last night. It is so warming. It's getting colder here, especially at night.

Hope that you have a great day today!

Thanks woods! It has been lovely. The Ozarks weather is very changeable, yesterday was 80 degrees, today chilly and rainy and tonight 30 degrees.

Jobs are especially scarce in a rural area like where I live -- I will have a 60 mile each way commute to the college. I live halfway between 2 cities, so either way, most jobs are about 6o miles away.
[/url]
Image[/url]>
blondie

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals