October - Landog's challenges!

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: October - Landog's challenges!

Postby SactoBob » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:23 pm

Dog,
On the Bento Box, if it needed to stay warm over an extended period, we preheated the bowls and the outer container with hot water, and made sure that the food was really hot to start with. And I agree, that although those bowls look small, you can pack a lot into them.

Good going on your challenge.
SactoBob

End of October

Postby landog » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:59 am

I ended the month visiting my daughter in Connecticut. Food-wise, it couldn't have worked out better.

I had a hotel room with a refrigerator and a microwave. There was a grocery store next to the hotel. At the hotel I ate salads, and heated up frozen bags of brown rice and veggies. While visting my daughter I ate spring rolls and some tasty butternut squash soup, with brown rice and leaf lettuce.

While I was there, they had a foot of snow and half the state lost power. My hotel and my daughter's house were spared, but many people are still without power. Talk about an October challenge!

I learned a few things this month. I learned that I can give up salt and coffee. I learned that I can exisit happily on unprocessed foods. I learned that I do not require a breakfast.

I learned a few new things from seeing another lecture by Dr. Esselstyn. Both he and Sactobob impressed upon me that eating more greens would be beneficial. I have incorporated more greens into my diet.

I was looking to see whether my blood pressure would drop by giving up salt. It started at 120/80. It ended at 116/80. I guess that it stayed about the same.

I was also looking to get a little more trim. I started out at 166 lbs. and ended at 160 lbs.

The beauty of a month long challenge is that you gain new habits. I fully intend to continue with these new habits. More greens. No salt or processed foods. No coffee.

I did have some wine during and after the month of October. Maybe its time to say "no" to that. I'm not sure if I'm ready for that step, but the alcohol-cancer link is weighing on my mind. That may well be my next challenge.

I learned that I'm taking too many college courses at once. I intend to make sure that I do not become so time-challenged that I do not exercise regularly. So, that is another challenge - get with a regular exercise plan.

There's always room for improvement! I look forward to improving in November - and seeing Chef AJ next week!

I was encouraged and supported by you fine folks here on the board. THANK YOU, all! I appreciate your help in learning and adopting healthy habits.

Be well,
-dog
landog

Postby kirstykay » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:13 am

Great Job, Landog! You learned a lot this month, and made some great progress! Keep up the good work! It's nice to learn from what others are going through, so thanks for keeping your journal. Hope November is just as good!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby Rosey » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:11 pm

Love your post about the October challenge. Glad it helped you so much.
Rosey

Postby blondie » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:19 pm

Sounds like the challenge was very helpful to you! Congrats on the successes,and thanks a bunch for the support you gave me in my challenge too!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
311 all-time highest weight. Began McDougall plan at 300 lb. on 2/9/2011.
blondie

Postby f1jim » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:57 pm

Great work dog. Thanks for your efforts.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals