October - Landog's challenges!

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Saturday, Oct. 15

Postby landog » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:20 am

Halfway though this month!

I spent the day finishing a programming assignment for school.

Breakfast
Three boiled potatoes
Spinach

Snack
banana

Lunch
lettuce/spinach
topped with brown rice

Dinner
lettuce/spinach
red, yukon gold and sweet potatoes, boiled, cubed and pan-seared

Snack (I was up late finishing my homework)
Oats with maple syrup

More greens!

Have a good day!
-dog
landog

Re: October - Landog's challenges!

Postby Adrienne » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:36 am

Spinach for breakfast! Wow you are really taking Dr Esselstyn's advice seriously. Good for you. You are doing fantastic, especially considering how busy you are. I guess you are also taking Doug Lisle's advice seriously as well (failure to plan is planning to fail). It certainly helps if you can enjoy and not get tired of eating simple foods/meals that do not require a lot of preparation. Keep it up!!
Adrienne

Postby blondie » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:20 pm

I second Adrienne's sentiments! Good for you getting in all those greens!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
311 all-time highest weight. Began McDougall plan at 300 lb. on 2/9/2011.
blondie

Sunday, October 16

Postby landog » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:21 pm

Adrienne - thanks for the encouragement!

Breakfast
Oats

Lunch
Lettuce/spinach salad
Steamed kale
Brown Rice

Snack
carrot

Dinner
sauteed bok choy and mustard greens
Brown Rice and Vegetarian chili
landog

Postby carollynne » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:06 pm

you are doing great!! we love our greens here too!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby Melinda » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:12 pm

Hi landog - you must be dropping weight on this way of eating, although I don't know if you have any weight to lose! Congratulations for eating so healthy!
Melinda

Postby landog » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:11 pm

carollynne wrote:you are doing great!! we love our greens here too!

Well, we often have kale, spinach and bok choy. I am trying to widen my repertoire. The mustand greens - I'm not sure if that's an acquired taste or if I need to learn how to cook them right.

I bought some collard greens on the way home from work today, so we'll see how that goes!

Thanks for stopping by!

Be well,
-dog
landog

Postby SactoBob » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:44 pm

Dog,
Your challenge is going great. Have you figured out a way to handle the school nights yet? I'm not totally sure what is involved there. Is prep time the issue, or a location to eat, or time to eat, or ?
SactoBob

Postby landog » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:42 am

SactoBob wrote:Dog,
Your challenge is going great. Have you figured out a way to handle the school nights yet? I'm not totally sure what is involved there. Is prep time the issue, or a location to eat, or time to eat, or ?
I'm working from 6a - 3p, then school is from 4p - 8p (Tue) or 4p - 10p (Thur). There is no time or access to microwaves at school. I have 10 minutes between classes but I spend that walking to the next classroom. I've been trying to shift my meals so that I eat lunch early, and then have another bite to eat before I leave for school. That, and an apple or an orange at school, gets me by. (Sometimes I get too busy at work to remember to eat early.)

I guess I'm adjusting to the schedule okay. I'm thinking about the bento box idea. I'm not sure how I would react to cold rice!

Thanks,
-dog
landog

Monday, October 17

Postby landog » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:44 am

Lunch:
spinach
brown rice with vegetarian chili

Dinner:
Boiled potatoes, cubed and pan-seared
Stir fry vegetables
Steamed kale and collard greens

Snack:
banana

Be well,
-dog
landog

Postby yarnpetter » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:37 am

landog wrote:
SactoBob wrote:

I guess I'm adjusting to the schedule okay. I'm thinking about the bento box idea. I'm not sure how I would react to cold rice!

Thanks,
-dog

Personally I find I really like cold short grain brown rice- not to fond of longer grain rices cold. But, I've heard good things about the Mr. Bento bento box- it's really more of a Tiffen box (I think that's what it's called) but one of the compartments is supposed to be fully insulated to keep things hot and one is supposed to be partially insulated to keep things warm. I'm going to try one but they are a little pricey.http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-SL-JAE1 ... B000246GSE

edited to fix the link
yarnpetter

Tuesday, Oct. 18

Postby landog » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:20 pm

yarnpetter wrote:I've heard good things about the Mr. Bento bento box-
Well, between you and Sactobob, I have to try one, now!

Thanks to both of you!

Snack:
banana

Lunch:
spinach
brown rice and veggie chili

Snack (before school)
4 boiled potatoes (reheated)

Dinner (after school)
steamed kale
mexican rice casserole

Be well,
-dog
landog

Postby landog » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:23 pm

Melinda wrote:Hi landog - you must be dropping weight on this way of eating, although I don't know if you have any weight to lose! Congratulations for eating so healthy!

Hi Melinda!

I'm thinking that I want to get from 166 lbs. to 155 lbs. I'm sure this challenge should help. I want to check at the end of the month. I would be happy to get under 160...

Thanks for stopping by!

Be well,
-dog
landog

Postby SactoBob » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:33 pm

landog wrote:
SactoBob wrote:Dog,
I'm working from 6a - 3p, then school is from 4p - 8p (Tue) or 4p - 10p (Thur). There is no time or access to microwaves at school. I have 10 minutes between classes but I spend that walking to the next classroom. I've been trying to shift my meals so that I eat lunch early, and then have another bite to eat before I leave for school. That, and an apple or an orange at school, gets me by. (Sometimes I get too busy at work to remember to eat early.)

Thanks,
-dog

Dog, I am worried about you. That is one tough schedule, and you have a home and family life too. All I can say is that I loved my Bento Box and still do. But it won't solve a problem of no time. It sounds like you are just too jammed.

Don't confuse yourself with Superman, because it can be harmful to your health. Maybe some time we will talk about how I know this. But take care dog and be well.

The Bento Box can keep the rice warm a long time if you pack carefully. I have had it last warm well into the night when I had to work late.
SactoBob

Wed. Oct. 19

Postby landog » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:27 pm

SactoBob wrote:Dog, I am worried about you. That is one tough schedule, and you have a home and family life too.

Well, thanks, Bob! I will heed your concern.

I have taken two classes at a time before, but physics and object oreinted programming are two tough classes. I'll admit to biting off more than I can chew this semester.

I had a goal of taking two classes per semester, which would let me finish the degree May, 2013. I had anticipated taking Discrete Mathematics and the second semester of Physics next semester, but I will most likely have to scale that down to just Physics.

Breakfast
oats
banana

Lunch
spinach
mixed vegetables
two boiled potatoes (re-heated)

Snack
apple
orange

Dinner
One large plate of leaf lettuce and spinach