mtns October Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: mtns October Journal

Postby eri » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:19 pm

^^how was the movie? i'd really like to see it.
eri

Postby mtns » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:05 pm

The movie was wonderful. I totally loved it and can't wait to see it again. I would love for my whole family to see it. If you are a crier like me, you need to bring a bunch of kleenex's . I bawled and laughed and then bawled again. But it was so good. My husband loved it as well. I think he even teared up a little.

I ended up eating beans and rice for lunch and then I did have vegetable sushi and some steamed rice. It was really a nice time with my daughter and her husband. I would like to go out with them again sometime. It was really nice.

My weight is now up 1/ 2 lb. I am now at 146. I don't understand. I have eaten so good this week. I have been very honest about every little bite that has gone in my mouth. I don't know if it is lack of sleep or that I am eating too much food or what to think. I have measured and calculated calories a few times and I am right on target. I know I shouldn't count calories and I don't like to do it, nor do I want to, but I need to figure out what is going on and why I am not losing this weight.
mtns

Postby mtns » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:49 pm

I am keeping on going and really working at listening to my body with hunger cues. I want to also still make sure I start my meals with veggies first. That seems to help me a lot. Hopefully this week I will at least see a 2 lb. weight loss. That is my goal.

B: 3/4 c. oatmeal, 1 packet of stevia, banana ( I was hungry this morning and can tell that I overate)

L: big salad, sweet potatoes with dijon mustard

S: green smoothie or apple, potatoes if hungry

D: oatmeal or sweet potatoes, veggies
mtns

Postby mtns » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:17 pm

A New week and I plan on working hard at this. Last night I did have some popcorn, at least it was plain. I know I feel so much better eating this way. I just need to keep it up and hopefully will see some weight loss this week. I have my class tonight. Tonight our focus is going to be on sweet potatoes. I am making sweet potatoes with bean and corn salsa over the top and sweet potatoes with blueberries for dessert. Hopefully they love them. I think I have an addiction to sweet potatoes.

E: 1 hr. x-biking

1 B; 1/4 c. oatmeal with a few slices of banana, 1 packet of stevia ( need to work on this)

2B: 1/2 c. oatmeal with the rest of the banana, 1 packet of stevia

L: big salad with homemade dressing, hashbrowns

S: apple

D: sweet potatoes with bean and corn salsa, carrots ( I ususually don't have much time to eat as I am leading my class)

S: 1/4 c. oatmeal with cinnamon or sweet potatoes

I know I need to work on the stevia,and I am slowly cutting back, but right now I think I need to make sure I am doing no grabbing bites here and there of things and watching every little thing that goes into my mouth and making sure it doesn't go into my mouth. I need to stay 100% MWL. Those are my main focuses.
mtns

Postby sksamboots » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:19 pm

I find that if I put a frozen banana in to cook with my oatmeal that it is all I need for sweetness. They really do help. Keep up the good work :nod:
sksamboots

Postby mtns » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:58 pm

I slept in a little this morning. It felt good. So now I have to go work out later, but I am okay with that. Everyone loved the sweet potato dishes last night. I am considering showing FOK, next week. I just don't know how they would react to the movie. I will have to pray about it. We were talking and last night one other lady said she did believe that God gave us food to help and heal us. I was so happy, because I believe the same thing.

E: I am going to lift weights later today and maybe some cardio

B: 3/4 c. oatmeal with 1 banana and 2 packets of stevia ( I had some oatmeal at 7:30 am and then at 8:30 am- I don't know why but I was starving this morning)

L: big salad with broccoli slaw and homemade dressing, sweet potatoes with black bean and corn salsa, pico de gallo and 1 spoonful of avacado

S: apple or sweet potato with blueberries

D: stirfry with rice

S: 1/4 c. oatmeal with cinnamon
mtns

Postby Rosey » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:33 pm

mtns wrote:B: 3/4 c. oatmeal with 1 banana and 2 packets of stevia ( I had some oatmeal at 7:30 am and then at 8:30 am- I don't know why but I was starving this morning)

Everyday our appetites are different though sometimes it can be what we add to our foods. If I add any sweeteners other then fruit to my oatmeal I'll get really hungry. HUGS!!!
Rosey

Postby mtns » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:50 pm

Just a quick journal tonight. I did better with the stevia I only had half a packet. But then I did have a rice cake with a slice of soy cheese. I just let myself get too hungry.

1B: 1/4 c. oatmeal with a little banana, little stevia

2B: 1/2 c. oatmeal with a little stevia and the rest of the banana

L: leftover stirfry over rice

S: apple, plain popcorn, later rice cake with soy cheese

D: green smoothie, either potatoes or leftover rice and stirfry

S: oatmeal with cinnamon
mtns

Postby mtns » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:39 pm

Busy day again today. I am so tired of being tired. I am tired of getting to bed late and getting up at 5am. It is wearing me out. I need to get to bed earlier. I gave in this morning and had half a piece of bread. I need to stop that.

E: 1 hr. weights, 30 min. elliptical

1 B: 1/4 c. oatmeal, 1 packet stevia, cinnamon and a few raisins

2B: 1/2 c. oatmeal, 1 packet stevia, 1 small banana

L: costa vida type salad: salad, black beans, brown rice, salsa, and homemade salad dressing

S: apple, maybe some potatoes

D: veggies, I don't know yet

S: oatmeal with cinnamon
mtns

Postby mtns » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:51 pm

My husband and I went out to costa vida last night and I had their vegetarian salad. I know I shouldn't have but I had the guacomole and a little of their cilantro lime dressing. Then I ate a couple handfuls of cheerios last night. Not a good day for me. I am still keeping on, though. I love looking at Gramma Jackie's blog. It inspires me to cook some of those recipes. I have the book, but haven't tried anything, so I think I will this week. I am still working on eating my veggies first and it seems to be working good. And yesterday for snack I had some leftover stirfry veggies and an apple. It made for a good snack. I seem to be eating less than I was. I just wish I could lose the rest of this weight. On the plus side is that I am back down to 145.2 now. Last week, I think I was 146.5, so that is good. I just want it to keep moving down.

I realize that I also need to work on my stress level and my amount of sleep. I looked at a book yesterday called "The worn out woman". That so explained me. That is how I feel. I realize that I need to make time for myself. I do this all the time. I devote myself to family and others and don't take time for myself. Then I wait too long and then I hit overload and finally take time for myself. But I need to take time for myself every week, so that I don't hit overload. I need to go to bed early as well. I think that will help my weight loss.

B: 1/2 c. oatmeal with 1/2 banana, 1 packet stevia

L: big salad, sweet potatoes

S: apple, veggies

D: roasted potatoes, mixed veggies or broccoli

S: banana ice cream or oatmeal
mtns

Postby mtns » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:11 pm

I didn't do good yesterday. I had 3 veggie hot dogs for dinner and snacked on some maple syrup covered almonds yesterday. I had my daughter hide them, so I wouldn't eat any more. On the plus side, I ate the veggie hot dogs instead of eating chips at a birthday party last night. I had no bun and ate some hashbrowns that I brought with for dinner. I didn't touch the cake either. I am really struggling latley because I have been so tired and not getting enough sleep I have been depressed and stressed out latley with everything I have been doing. So I have been so tempted to eat things that I shouldn't.
I did weigh in Friday and I am down 1 1/2 lbs. I now weight 145. So that is good. Now it just needs to keep going down.

B; 1/2 c. oatmeal with 1/2 banana, 1 1/2 packets of stevia

L: split pea soup with hashbrowns added in, big salad
veggie hot dog

S: apple or green smoothie

D: oatmeal or leftovers
mtns

Postby SactoBob » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:59 pm

Don't feel down, because there are some great benefits to documenting a bad day. As much as your good days help, your bad days can help even more. The lessons you need to learn are in the bad days.

As to your down feelings, be aware that this could be nothing more than transition symptoms. Have you read "The Pleasure Trap" by Doug Lisle, or watched his DVDs, or watched his free video lecture at the Vegetarian Society of Hawaii. It is natural to experience cravings and decreased pleasure in life for about 30 days while you are improving your diet. I had big problems there, and often watched Doug's lectures at that time. It was important for me to know that the bad feelings were normal and temporary.

As to learning the lessons from a bad day, there are times to forget the bad day and move on - but not usually. Try to recall how this happened. Were you really hungry? Was good food available? Did you start the day with a workable plan? Did you do what you could to make sure that the plan worked? Were you really craving some junk type food?

If you ask a lot of questions like this, you can probably come up with at least a theory, and you can probably come up with a strategy from preventing this from happening in the future. At least you will be trying.

Try to avoid what I see with the long term failures on this program. First, there is an unwillingness to even admit the problem. Then there is an attempt to avoid the problem through sympathy, drama, anger, whatever. Then there is the appeal to ignore the problem with an appeal to sympathy and support.

True support IMO would be to identify the problem and see what could be done to change it. If you try to identify the problem and go after it, I think that you will be surprised how effective that can be. Even if you don't fix things after the first slip, repeated effort will eventually succeed.

The people here who are successful are not the ones who found it easy to be perfect - they are the ones who had the courage to face up to what was happening and the determination to keep at it. You have identified a problem, and I think your approach has to succeed in the long run - it's inevitable.
SactoBob

Postby mtns » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:39 pm

Thanks, Bob. I think I will go back and read that post often. It is a good reminder to me. I need to continue to ask those questions about the food I am eating and why I am eating it. Like I realize I was having a bad day yesterday and I felt like eating junk all day, but I realized that food was not going to help my emotions. Although I did give in and ate 3 rice cakes. I guess a lot of times I think that because I am tired and worn out that it gives me liscence to eat whatever I want. That is not the case. Just because my body is tired and worn out, does not mean I need to eat foods that are going to cause me to be more tired. That I need not be lazy concerning my food. Admitting this to myself is a big step for me. I know it may not seem like it, but I have always eaten when I was tired and worn out. I remember I used to do that on the weekends. I would be worn out from going and doing all week that on the weekends I felt I could relax. Along with that I relaxed my eating standards as well and wondered why I wasn't losing weight. I stopped that mentatlity close 6 months ago. That is when I started losing weight and getting closer to my goal. I now realize that slowing down and relaxing doesn't mean I relax my standards on eating.I can find other ways to relax and enjoy myself.

1 B: 1/4 c. oatmeal with cinnamon, a few raisins, 1 packet of stevia

2 B: 1/2 c. oatmeal with 1/2 banana, 1 packet of stevia

L: big salad with broccoli slaw, leftover split pea soup with hashbrown potatoes mixed in

D: veggie soup, black bean burger

S: 1/4 c. oatmeal with cinnamon if still hungry
mtns

Postby mtns » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:26 pm

My class went really well last night. We talked about the effect lack of sleep can have on hunger. Then I served up veggie noodle soup, Happy Herbivore's black bean burgers and asparagus rollups. They all seemed to love the food. It was encouraging to here that they are making the recipes at home. I may not be able to make them do a total turn around on their diets, but at least they are making steps in the right direction.

I did really good yesterday. Although last night because I didn't eat much dinner because I was teaching my class, I did end up have 3/4 c. oatmeal for snack. Otherwise it was a good day.

E: going to work out later- doing my own version of boot camp

B: 1/2 c. oatmeal with 1 banana, 1 packet of stevia

L: leftover veggie noodle soup, big salad

D: sweet potatoes, veggies

S: 1/4 c. oatmeal with cinnamon and a few raisins
mtns

Postby mtns » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:27 pm

My husband and I went out on a date last night. We went to Sizzler and I got a plain baked potato and the salad bar. I had red wine vinegar on top instead of dressing, but I did have a little avacado on top as well.

I am so overly tired. Again, I fell into the trap of eating stuff I shouldn't. I had one of the kid's leftover peanut butter balls this morning. For some reason I rationalized that it would give me energry. Which is a joke, because it may give me a little energy, but then zaps me of my energy a short while later. I need to stop that. I went to bed after 11pm last night and got up at 4:30 am this morning. I had a hard time concentrating on listening to the kids read today and almost started to fall asleep.

I am tired of not losing the rest of this weight. I know in my heart it is the little things I eat. And probably overeating oatmeal.

E: 1 hr x-biking

1 B: 1/4 c. oatmeal with a few raisins, cinnamon, 1 packet of stevia

2 B: 1/2 c. oatmeal with 1 banana, 1 packet of stevia

s: 1 peanut butter ball

L: leftover veggie noodle soup, 1/2 bean burger, salad

S: green smoothie or apple

D: sweet potatoes, veggies

S: 1/4 c. oatmeal with cinnamon
mtns

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals