Tara's October 2011 journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Tara's October 2011 journal

Postby woods38 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:27 pm

Well I started off this month right with the vegetarian expo today. I got to hear Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn and his wife speak. It was exciting to see them in person. I learned a few things and was reminded of some stuff that I already knew. My husband found the lecture very informative. He learned a lot. He thought that nuts and olive oil were good for you. No so as we all know. They both stressed eating more leafy greens. That is something for me to work on this month. I was surprised to find out that they both eat raw oats and fruit for breakfast. I almost never eat my oats uncooked. I may try it for fun but I'm pretty sure that I will find them more filling cooked. Anyway, we had a good time at the expo today. I was inspired by hearing Mrs. Esselstyn talk about cooking and went home and whipped up a simple dish. I browned the onions just like she said to, added cooked bulger wheat, chickpeas and corn. My family loved it. My teenage daughter who said bulger sounds vulgar at it and enjoyed it. :-) Tomorrow I will pick up some greens at the store and try to work those in too.
woods38

Re: Tara's October 2011 journal

Postby woods38 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:44 am

Today I enjoyed the Esselstyn's version of cold cereal for breakfast. It consisted of 1 apple, 1 pear, 1/2 c oats, 1/4 c grapenuts, 1/2 cup shredded wheat and some cinnamon. It was good. It didn't need any plant milk or anything else.

At lunch today I tried a kale sandwich. It was good. Yep, still eating bread. Sigh. I just couldn't get the idea out of my head.
Mrs. Esselstyn suggested having a little fat-free hummus on it but I didn't have any made so I just had garlic sautéed kale, musturd and bread. Delicious. I also had some barley vegetable soup and raw cauliflower, and peaches for dessert.
woods38

Postby woods38 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:47 am

Wow-I really haven't posted in awhile. I haven't been compliant much either. It doesn't count if I eat mostly the right foods but a few of the off limits foods. Doesn't work that way. Honestly, I've been back to eating cheese, peanut butter, vegan butter, vegan meat analogs, and chips and candy are my cheats. Not good at all even if 2 of my daily meals are compliant I ruin it with these extras.

I had a physical on Friday. My doctor told me to lose weight and quit coffee. I'm going to do MWL for the next 8 weeks until my birthday. My blood pressure is creeping up. I really don't want to go down that path. I also have been having heart palpitations that are bothersome. I need to get as healthy as I can for me and stop thinking that I need all of those things that are really bad for me.

Today I commit to no caffeine and only MWL compliant foods. I need to believe in myself.
woods38

Postby Loveskale » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:48 am

Good for you Tara! My cheat used to be tortilla chips...that was a long time ago. After not eating them for a while I had some again. They tasted like wallpaper paste with salt. Yuck. Eventually you will crave the good foods and detest the bad foods. :nod:
My recipes are posted at: http://www.Flickr.com/Loveskale
Loveskale

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:41 am

keep on going, gf. Like Kale said, once you get used to the tastes of fresh, whole foods, the SAD (or VAD) stuff won't appeal at all. I've followed much the same pattern as you, with good, healthy meals, and plenty of cheats on a daily basis (though I never have eaten meat or cheese analogs...If I want something meat like, I'll eat meat! :lol: )

anyway, fuel yourself mentally with Star McDougaller stories, videos, and newsletter articles. Get your mind in the game, because THAT is where the battles are fought and won! :nod: :thumbsup:

you can do it. I'm rooting for ya! Image
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Christine in Cali » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:24 am

You can do this Woods. It is so hard to get the junk out, but it can be done. I have not given up my coffee yet, but the sugar is almost out. Everyday it gets less and less and I make better choices. Are you a Dec baby too?
"Nature won't be denied"
Christine in Cali

Postby woods38 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:46 am

Thanks for the support guys. It means a lot to me. I am feeling like I have this big mountain to climb but knowing you are all on my side and doing the same helps.

Christine in Cali-yep Dec 23 is my B-day. No coffee today and I am tired but at least no headaches. :)

bunsofaluminum
bunsofaluminum wrote:anyway, fuel yourself mentally with Star McDougaller stories, videos, and newsletter articles. Get your mind in the game, because THAT is where the battles are fought and won! :nod: :thumbsup:

That is just what I am going to do. The success stories are so inspiring. I know that if I can just stick to my guns this time I can be my own best friend rather than enemy.

Loveskale-
Loveskale wrote: Eventually you will crave the good foods and detest the bad foods. :nod:

I had a great lunch of boiled, smashed potatoes topped with collards and chickpeas. I didn't put any salt on it and I liked it! I am surprised sometimes how good healthy foods can be. I can't wait until I no longer have though "bad food" cravings.
woods38

Postby lmggallagher » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:57 pm

Way to go! Back on board and lunch sounded yummy too. Hmm, I think I have all the same stuff in my kitchen and lucky me it's lunch time :)

Best of luck !

lmggallagher

Postby kirstykay » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:21 pm

Good for you! You can do it! You've certainly come to the right place, 'cause we're all in this together!! Stay in touch each day to hold yourself accountable. Good luck. :nod:
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby blondie » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:04 pm

Glad you're back Woods! I'm a December baby too -- the 26th. :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
311 all-time highest weight. Began McDougall plan at 300 lb. on 2/9/2011.
blondie

Postby woods38 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:53 am

Yesterday's food:
herbal tea
banana
2 potatoes with collards and chickpeas
herbal tea
butternut squash with molasses
2 rice cakes
2 cups salad with 3 corn tortillas
1 1/2 cups mushroom barley soup

Today's food:What I will eat over the course of the day
green tea
1 cup oatmeal with pear
1 1/2 cups mushroom barley soup
banana
1 cup butternut squash with molasses
2 cups salad
2 corn tortillas
3 cups Indian curried potato stew
2 rice cakes
2 potatoes (for snacks if I need them)

I did 10 minutes with the weights and 15 mins step aerobics
woods38

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:58 am

blondie wrote: I'm a December baby too -- the 26th. :)

woods38 wrote:yep Dec 23 is my B-day.

Okay, My b-day is December 25th! :lol: Lots of Christmas babies around here! ;-)
Last edited by bunsofaluminum on Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Rosey » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:56 am

bunsofaluminum wrote:
blondie wrote: I'm a December baby too -- the 26th. :)

[quote="woods38]yep Dec 23 is my B-day. [/quote]

Okay, My b-day is December 25th! :lol: Lots of Christmas babies around here! ;-)[/quote]

Mine is December 16th.
Rosey

Postby vanessa40 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:56 pm

LOL
I am a New Years baby. I was the first baby born in my city in 1966. My sister was born on Christmas Eve four years later. I am so happy my daughter was an August baby. To many holiday birthday's in my family.

I see you had a pear with your oatmeal. I have not had a pear in ages. I need to write that on my grocery list.
Hope you are having a nice day :)
To Err Is Human
To Forgive Is Canine
vanessa40

Postby woods38 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:12 am

Thanks for stopping by everyone. Hearing about all of the Dec/Jan B-days is fun. I appreciate the support.

Yesterday was tough but I just kept telling myself I can eat whenever I want, I'm just changing what I'm eating. So, I cruised by McDonalds and had my herbal tea and ate some of my indian curry dish when I got to work. The delivery guy said that it smelled great and it was good. I wasn't disappointed with that dish. I was a little tired and very busy yesterday but I am going to do my best to stick close to the plan and hope it gets easier and I feel better. I did have less neck/shoulder tension and no heart palpitations yesterday.

Food for today:
1 cup oatmeal with 1/2 tsp. sugar
2 clementine oranges
2 cups mexican rice and beans
2 corn tortillas
1 cup salad
2 cups indian curry veg/bean stew
2 rice cakes
apple
1 1/2 potatoes for snacks
woods38

Next