Oct.Journey 2011

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Oct.Journey 2011

Postby RAS » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:25 am

:) Hi Would like to do Sacto Bob & Gypsie's challenge.I don't Blog Tweet or post anywhere else,So I'll do it here.

Weight 165.8 Fbs.197
B- Oatmeal and tea
L- Baja Soup,from Max.Weight Loss Book.This is my staple soup,can add anything to it and it is good.and 2 small baked potatoes.
Dinner- Probably the same as lunch

Hope success for all who do this program.It is possible and doable.!RAS
RAS

Re: Oct.Journey 2011

Postby SactoBob » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:35 am

Welcome to the challenge, RAS. A suggestion if I might is that details turn out to be very important. If you ate the oatmeal plain, then you were perfect. If you had anything on the oatmeal (soy milk, honey, sweetener, etc.) then it would be important to list. I should have mentioned the importance of details. If you are doing the oatmeal plain, WAY TO GO!

BTW, if you don't want any of my thoughts in your journal, just say so. Some people want help and others do not, and I understand that.
SactoBob

Postby RAS » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:36 pm

Hi, You are welcome to comment on anything you feel important.I won't take offence,I'm here to learn and perfect this program.
Oatmeal was plain.....But small confession 1 pkg. of the pink stuff (Sweet&Low) :eek: Any suggestions to get off the stuff. RAS
RAS

Postby SactoBob » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:38 pm

Great call on the Sweet and Low. And that is why the details are so important. I have seen people list nothing but great foods for years, yet remain obese and even get heavier. It is the details and the foods that are not being posted that is the problem. And if the problem is not listed, it really can't be dealt with.

Sweet and Low is not a whole plant food and it would be wonderful to remove from your diet. It would be a real accomplishment if you could eliminate it during this month.

What works for me is to put some berries and fruit on top of the oatmeal. You get some sweetness and some excellent nutrition. Blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, peach - you name it. I think that these will provide all the sweetness you need, and you will soon like it better than the artificial product. This is the goal this month - to maximize the whole plant foods. The details are really important, and I'll continue to look at what you post.

I just had a great and tasty lunch that I need to blog myself now.
SactoBob

Postby Starchyme » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:59 pm

Guess I'm the only crazy one who never liked sweet cereal. However, on oatmeal I use a little salt and add ground flax, or chia seeds, and usually some raisins. Delish (at least to me). If I eat shredded wheat, I use an unsweetened soy, rice, or almond milk with a fresh fruit, such as banana, berries, peaches.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby SactoBob » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:05 pm

Thanks for bringing up the salt. I should have mentioned that the challenge is to do without added salt, and of course without processed products like soy milks or rice milks. Really anything with a food label. We should be posting extra salt if we add it in my own view of the challenge. I found out that my taste adapted to losing the salt very quickly. For awhile, things will taste a little bland, but it's worth it to lose the salt IMO.
SactoBob

Postby kirstykay » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:27 pm

RAS- SactoBob's suggestion of adding berries to oatmeal is excellent. Something I like to do is to cook the oatmeal with a cut-up banana in it...the banana seems to disappear, but adds a lot of sweatness, and a nice creamy texture. I also really like to add frozen unsweetened dark red cherries (although they can be quite expensive). My problem with oatmeal is that I like to cook it with vanilla soymilk-something I'll be giving up, apparently. :eek:

Bob- what's the story on raisins? I'm thinking they're out, too because they are dried?
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby SactoBob » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

kirstykay wrote:Bob- what's the story on raisins? I'm thinking they're out, too because they are dried?

Good call. The challenge includes anything that is dried out to increase calorie density. We are looking for ways to keep calorie density down.
SactoBob

Postby RAS » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:06 am

Good Morning! Fbs 163 No salt no artificial sweetners is going to be the challenge this month.

B-Plain oatmeal I cooked- chopped 1/2 an apple and cooked with the oatmeal,then chopped the other 1/2 apple & sprinkled on top of the oatmeal,then mixed cinnamon in. Not too bad,will take some time getting use to no salt. :-P May switch to Potatoes O'Brien for breakfast.
Black coffee. (only once in awhile)
L- Baja Soup.Baked potatoe fries,sprinkled with garlic powder. Water
D-Baja Soup,with baked potatoe,and lima beans.(frozen-not canned)

Question- Bushs' Vegetarian Fat Free Baked beans.Are they allowed?Probably not for this challenge right? :roll: Thanks for this challenge,I plan on being 100%.Being salt free is the biggest part so far.& since its not tasting all that great,I'll eat less!!!!!!!! :unibrow: RAS
RAS

Postby Starchyme » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:11 am

I would say Bush's Baked Beans wouldn't be allowed due to the fact they have sugar in them and probably salt.

I have a question, though, is nut milk considered processed if it is whipped up in a blender with water and then strained?
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby SactoBob » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:34 am

Hi RAS.
Congrats on accepting the salt and sweetener part of the challenge. Everybody has to decide what they wish their own challenge to be.

As for me (and as per above) I would not consider Bush Baked Beans whether or not on a challenge. I could not find complete label info, and they make many products. I assumed that you selected the Vegetarian Baked Beans. The ingredients listed (from an independent website) were:

INGREDIENTS: Prepared White Beans, Water, Brown Sugar, Sugar, Tomato Paste, Salt, Cornstarch, Mustard, Onion Powder, Spices, Extractives of Paprika, Garlic Powder, and Natural Flavor.

Anytime I see Brown Sugar listed in addition to Sugar (and in addition to corn starch, which acts like sugar) I assume it is because if they just listed Sugar, that it would be the first (i.e. main) ingredient. That is a lot of sugar.

If you don't have Jeff Novick's DVD on reading labels, you should consider getting it so that you are not fooled by this type of label. A quick course would be this:

1. Check the total calories per serving against the calories from fat per serving. You don't want more than 20% of the calories from fat. Watch for tricks like here - by adding sugar they can lower the per cent of fat.

2. Check the sodium per serving against the calories per serving. You don't want the number for sodium to be higher than the number for calories per serving.

3. Check the ingredients, which must be listed in order. You don't want any oils or simple sugars or other bad stuff. Ideally, the label should contain only whole plant foods.

I don't know the salt numbers - but this already fails miserably from the ingredients. Getting this out of your diet, and having just beans would be great.

Any time you start improving your diet, it usually means a "withdrawal" of sorts, because your body is used to the old food (here sugar and maybe salt). Within 30 days or so, it should be no problem. But it is a challenge, and only you can decide how much challenge you can accept. If you can ditch these beans for whole plant food, that will be great. In fact, that is the sort of thing that is the point of the challenge. As you approach and get to all whole plant food, you will really notice the difference.
SactoBob

Postby RAS » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:52 am

Good Morning.Fbs 140 Off sweet&low & salt 24hrs!
B-Oatmeal with chopped apple and cinnamon
S-probably left over oatmeal and sweet potatoe
L-Baja Soup brown rice and lima beans. Baja soup is the only extra source of salt from salsa
D-Baked FF potatoes with garlic and onion powder.Grilled red pepper and corn.(frozen) and will walk 1hr. today.

Will carry baked potatoes in car with me this afternoon from work.RAS
RAS

Postby SactoBob » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:16 am

The recent drop in your FBS is impressive. I hope it will continue. Way to go! I don't know how or where people get those weight graphs, but it might be worthwhile to track the fasting sugars.
SactoBob

Postby RAS » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:14 pm

Yes I do hope that the blood sugars continue to drop.I never thought that I was salt sensitive,but since cutting it out,I have had no cravings. I was very hungry at 4pm today after work,Made a legal Mc.Dougall meal and was full and satisified. RAS
RAS

Postby RAS » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:47 am

Day 4- Fbs 146.
B- Oatmeal,with cooked bananna. Tea (Still haven't aquired a taste for oatmeal without salt.)
S- Nuked baked potatoe&sweet potatoe
L-Baja Soup,brown rice,(from BirdsEye frozen)
D- Probably boiled potatoes,brussell sprouts, Mustard Small amt.due to sodium content.Tea.Water. Salad with Balsamic Vinegar and Mrs.Dash seasonings.
Last edited by RAS on Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RAS

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals