Cravings cravings cravings

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Cravings cravings cravings

Postby purdumse » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:38 pm

I'm having a crazy craving for Hershey's chocolate right now that I need to ride out. I'm trying to turn it over to the universe. I have a friend that would say that 'trying' means just not doing it. So I will do it. I turn it over to the universe. No chocolate. Thats ok. The craving will end and I will be happier for resisting. I'm also still counting calories which is frustrating and I had pretzels today which isn't exactly MWL friendly. That's also ok. Anything is better than yesterday and thew day before.

It's what we do when the going gets tough that matters, not what we do when everything is easy breezy.

When these cravings hit and I feel so powerless over them I am going to attempt to do something else, for example write in this journal or take a walk or drink a tea or call a friend...you get the idea. Taking contrary action is all I can do to take my mind off of food and then it gets easier, or at least that's how it is supposed to work.

This is my new favorite blog that I read to take my mind off of struggles! Take a look at it, it never fails to lift my mood!
http://happythings.tumblr.com/
purdumse

Re: Cravings cravings cravings

Postby purdumse » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:39 pm

Haha and I didn't realize I started a new topic, whoops :) Now I know for next time!
purdumse

Postby janluvs2heel » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:56 pm

When I get those cravings, I tell myself to wait until the next day, then if I still want it, I can have it. So far I have not wanted it the next day.

Let's face it, it is always going to be there the next day. Sure would make it easier if it just went away, huh? :lol:
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby f1jim » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:21 pm

I'd make sure it isn't around today or tomorrow. There are lots of choices instead if you are just feeling like munching. It might not be your fist choice but will probably be fine when once you start.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby janluvs2heel » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:27 pm

f1jim wrote:I'd make sure it isn't around today or tomorrow. There are lots of choices instead if you are just feeling like munching. It might not be your fist choice but will probably be fine when once you start.
f1jim

I just assumed it was not in the home, but they wanted to go buy it. In the home is one thing, but it will always be in the stores. That's why I can put it off & by the next day I dont want it. Luckily I dont have that many cravings anymore. I can even talk about Pizza & not want to go out & buy one. Amazing!!
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby Katydid » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:56 am

There's a nice blog post at Dr. Fuhrman's site - www.diseaseproof.com - about cravings I was just reading. It's called Extinguish the pilot light. Worth reading. Just substitute MWL for Eat to Live and it's just as appropriate.
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby zoey55 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:39 am

I've recently learned a simple but effective thought when wanting a 2nd helping of my dinner. I say to myself..."are you really still hungry or does the dinner just taste that good and you want more? Instead, how 'bout a baked potato ?" And then I instantly realize...ARRGGGHHH! I would be WAY TOOOO FULL if I ate a potato! Because my dinners ARE compliant, if my answer is, YES, I'd love a potato, then I allow myself to go get more food :-D . This doesn't help for 'craves', but does help a lot for understanding my fullness level!
zoey55

Postby purdumse » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:14 pm

Hi guys! Thank you so much for the great advice. I did manage to avoid the hershey's, it is actually in the house, I live with two other recent college grads and we went to a bonfire where there were smores. The chocolate is left over. Here's what a finished off in my cabinet last night (and yes I know I could have just thrown it out!) and which I will no longer be purchasing and keeping in my cabinet so I can choose healthy options instead under my roof. I finished the last serving of peanut butter this morning (bad and not on plan I know, but it's ok! I'm moving in the right direction I promise! Peanut butter was once a multiple-times-daily staple for this chick ;)) and last night had a couple twizzlers that were left in my cabinet. I know in the long run those twizzlers were so not worth it (what was the cost of them? Like two pennies?) but I'm not beating myself up, and now they're gone and are not coming back into the house. Today I'm going to invest in some stevia. I love the little sweet in my oatmeal, which I used to eat plain but love I can sweeten it lightly now! (I used to be of the ideology that any carb was not so good unless it was a vegetable. I wonder why with all the awful information out there on the interweb...)
So today I woke up grateful for this program and am looking forward to kicking off this week with a solid plan. MWL plan to be exact.

f1jim: Thanks for the support, the junk is gone now and is not coming back! And no chocolate, but of course something just as fatty...I will keep this journal updated with how it goes from here.

janluvs2heel: That is wonderful advice!! I gave up alcohol a while back and I would always complain that I wanted a glass of wine too with my friends, and I had a friend that would ALWAYS say, "Well, you can have as much alcohol as you want tomorrow, but you can't today" and I would grumpily agree and the next day the craving was gone or I would use the same trick again! I will start implementing that.

Debbie: I heard in The China Study that the Chinese don't even have a word for 'calories'. crazy, huh? Old habits die hard I guess...oh and I'm terrified I'm going to gain weight if I stop counting calories!!! I can eat a TON of food. But you know what? I'm going to give it a go this week not counting calories but staying on plan and see what happens. I'll keep you posted how it goes!

Katydid: That was a great article, thank you for directing me there. My dad who also struggled with his weight his ENTIRE life lost 30 pounds using Fuhrman's approach, but for me it actually makes me a little sick and hurts my digestion. I'm very sensitive digestion-wise. Too many vegetables with that approach! I much prefer McDougalling and it actually makes me feel so much less sick. Anyways, I know the article is just about not tempting yourself and priming yourself for certain foods. Once again, when I gave up alcohol that was the ONLY way. I am willing to try the same thing for this way of life. I'm not a good moderater...just like my pops :)

zoey55: I am DEFINATELY a volume overeater, so that's something I have to watch out for too. That's a great thing to think about as I eat just to taste and enjoy eating sometimes. Too much and I just cause myself injury, my stomach gets into so much pain when I don't acknowledge that I'm full. I'll think of the potato trick next time I'm on that path...

Thanks guys! I'll keep this journal going to keep myself going :)
purdumse

Postby ArchiesBoy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:05 pm

purdumse wrote:I'm having a crazy craving for Hershey's chocolate right now

Boy do I understand cravings. I am a dangerously addicted sugarholic. I also understand that cravings are a sign of malnutrition. I believe it because the more I eat healthy food, the more even my worst cravings begin to subside. So stay with the healthy stuff! :)

AB
It's all about how well you treat yourself and others.

ArchiesBoy

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning