Gramma Jackie's Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Gramma Jackie's Journal

Postby Gramma Jackie » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:35 pm

Nice day today, though a bit cooler. I made my weekly library-grocery store run today. Our metropolitan library with it's inter-library loan service gives me access to many many vegan and plant-based cookbooks. I am sort of a cookbook addict. I checked out Jo Stepanik's Uncheese Cookbook. I am going to experiment with those recipes. Also, I have been using a lot of Bird's Eye veggies in the steamer bags. They usually have 2 servings in each bag at 50 calories per serving. So I can eat an entire bag and it's only 100 calories.

Today I ate:

B- Hashbrowns
L- Rice with veggies
D- Asian Stir "fry" veggies, rice, mandarin oranges

No snacks
Gramma Jackie

Postby Gramma Jackie » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:06 am

We celebrated my daughter's birthday yesterday. I made a roast with potatoes and green beans and steamed some cauliflower. I also made a gluten-free chocolate cake. I didn't eat any of the roast beef or gravy, just the veggies, but I did have a small piece of the cake along with a little low fat So Delicious soy ice cream. I don't feel guilty about the cake and ice cream, since it was a celebration. Now back to the program. :-D
Gramma Jackie

Postby fulenn » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:44 pm

Great to hear how your example is having such a good influence on your husband! I love the strawberry story you shared.

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby Dendra » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:39 pm

Our metropolitan library with it's inter-library loan service gives me access to many many vegan and plant-based cookbooks.

We also have a fantastic interlibrary loan system. We can see what all the libraries have online from home, and then reserve whatever we want. Unfortunately there is only one McD book available that interested me - a cookbook.

I also enjoy looking at cookbooks, but I have yet to check out (in any sense) any other vegan cookbooks. I've mostly been adapting my own tried and true recipes.
Dendra

Postby Gramma Jackie » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:26 pm

fulenn wrote:Great to hear how your example is having such a good influence on your husband! I love the strawberry story you shared.

Fulenn

Yes he is going to a vegetarian Thanksgiving pot-luck with me this Sunday. I think the fact that's it's free had something to do with it. Ha ha. :lol:
Gramma Jackie

Postby Gramma Jackie » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:32 pm

Dendra wrote:
Our metropolitan library with it's inter-library loan service gives me access to many many vegan and plant-based cookbooks.

We also have a fantastic interlibrary loan system. We can see what all the libraries have online from home, and then reserve whatever we want. Unfortunately there is only one McD book available that interested me - a cookbook.

I also enjoy looking at cookbooks, but I have yet to check out (in any sense) any other vegan cookbooks. I've mostly been adapting my own tried and true recipes.

While Dr. McDougall's message is the same in all his books (eat low fat starches and veggies), I have learned a lot from his other books. He's written at least 7 books on a variety of topics and I've read all of them. I have the New McDougall Cookbook (although it's not new anymore), and have checked the McDougall Quick & Easy cookbook out of the library. I have to tell you that at first I didn't think I could eat this way, but then I cooked just about every meal in the Maximum Weight Loss Book (see my blog below) and really enjoyed them. So now I love cooking McDougall compliant food.
Gramma Jackie

Postby Gramma Jackie » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:51 am

I am just plugging away at this way of eating and happy to say I do not miss most SAD foods. Still it's tough when I am in a situation where there is no food I can eat and everyone else's is eating whatever they want. I just have to tell myself that I am getting healthier each time I turn down SAD food. I have absolutely no cravings for candy or any other sweets of any kind. I do not miss meat, fried foods or dairy either. Needless to say I have thrown out a lot of stuff. My favorite snack before was coffee and biscotti. I do miss that, but not because of the sugar or caffiene. Most biscotti is very low sugar and only about 100 calories per piece and it's not the caffiene in the coffee I miss. I just like the flavor of coffee compared to tea. I have tried some coffee substitutes and none of them cut it. I drink tea, but don't like it very much. Other than that, I am doing OK. My biggest problem is bread. It is allowed on the regular program, but not MWL. I have always eaten whole grain bread my entire life. It keeps me from getting ravenously hungry. Dr. McDougall said that people on average lost about 3.5 lbs. a week on the regular program and 4.5 on MWL. So it isn't a matter of losing vs not losing, but a matter of just how fast I want to lose. That is why I get irritated when someone comes down on me about eating food that is allowed on the regular plan but not on MWL. As long as I am headed in the right direction that's all that matters, not how long it takes me to get there.
Gramma Jackie

Postby janluvs2heel » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:21 pm

You are doing great, GJ. I miss the taste of coffee, too, well, I guess I have not drank it in so long that miss isn't the right word, but yeah, no tea I have found cuts it, so I drink water in the am. I am missing nothing right now as well. I have been concentrating on just eating how Mike describes, no fat!!! I will add bread in when I get down to my goal weight, still not sure where that will end up. It will certanly be sooner if I use my original one though.

I dont think it matters what plan you use, as long as the weight is coming off, right? So what if it is a little slower, doesn't do any good to lose weight fast if it is not going to stay off.

Funny, I remember reading that Dr. McDougall had a standing bet that he could lock someone up with only McDougall foods for a week & they would lose weight. Just yesterday or the day before, someone said, no, they did not lose all their weight by McDougalling. Huh? Can't remember who said that now, but what does that mean? There are plenty who have done just that. And now you are going to one of those, too. Me, too. :D
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby Gramma Jackie » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:04 pm

I admit it, I am a softy. I hate exercising and I don't like to go outside my comfort zone. My idea of a getting in shape is not going for a jog or joining the gym, but curling up with a warm drink in my easy chair and reading a book. That's just my personality. I am just not a hard-driving person. But in my own way, I reach goals. It may take me longer, even much longer than others, but as long as I am not going backward, then I can still see the road ahead.

Courage to Try Again:
http://my-fat-free-life.blogspot.com/
Gramma Jackie

Postby nomikins » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:16 pm

I am willing to bet money that outlook will change as you lose weight and get healthier. It will simply be easier for you to move your body. I have a tough time getting started, but once I'm out walking, I'm so glad to be outdoors, enjoying the beautiful day.
nomikins

Postby Gramma Jackie » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:38 pm

nomikins wrote:I am willing to bet money that outlook will change as you lose weight and get healthier. It will simply be easier for you to move your body. I have a tough time getting started, but once I'm out walking, I'm so glad to be outdoors, enjoying the beautiful day.

Oh don't get me wrong. I love to walk--just not too many sunny beautiful days where I live, esp. this year. That's why we plan to retire in the sunshine state next year. :D But I haven't ever been one for strenuous exercise. I have weak ankles--always have, and now I have osteoarthritis. Most of my exercise is going up and down the stairs in my house all the time.
Gramma Jackie

Postby fulenn » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:52 pm

Most of my home exercise is going up and down the stairs, too; problem is, here at home I only have 3 stairs. lol

At least I get to run around at work.

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby Gramma Jackie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:35 am

Bumbling along in my own little way on my own little space on the message board. I am losing weight. I may not be speedy, but I am still moving forward. After all, "inch by inch, life's a cinch."

I am still actively posting in my blog as well. Here is my latest entry:
http://my-fat-free-life.blogspot.com/

I have no science behind the hashbrowns. I just like the way they taste.
Last edited by Gramma Jackie on Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gramma Jackie

Postby Dendra » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:58 am

I've decided just to stay here and avoid the "office politics" elsewhere, although it is definitely entertaining.

I Totally understand. I was thinking the same thing for myself, but I enjoy posting so I doubt that will happen.
Last edited by Dendra on Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dendra

Postby Gramma Jackie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:57 pm

Many people put their health concerns on the back burner when they have other things going on. It's not easy to think of your own health when you are taking care of other family members who need your help. My MIL came to live with us in 2007. After she moved we realized she was having problems and shortly thereafter she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and then about a year later with pancreatic cancer. It wasn't an easy time for me. I was also going back and forth between my home in Ohio and south Texas to help take care of my elderly mom. After my mother-in-law passed away my daughter had her first baby after many years of trying, but she had not been enrolled in her company's health care plan long enough for the insurance to cover the birth expenses. Her husband had already lost his business because of the economic downturn and they needed all the help they could get, so after the baby was born I took care of him full-time for 3 years since they couldn't afford daycare. I love it, but boy was I busy. So I didn't take care of my health and let my weight creep up on me again. I think John Lennon once said that "life happens when you're busy making plans" and that is certainly what happened to me.
Last edited by Gramma Jackie on Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gramma Jackie

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals